PDA

View Full Version : Curacs teleporter vs asgard beaming

_Famrir_
September 19th, 2008, 08:17 PM
so what do u think is cooler/more advance the teleporter in tracker or the asgard beaming technology?

i personally think the new teleporter is cool and slightly more advance in the personal way since it can be put on the arm and soesnt use tags (human tech)

Hermiiod
September 19th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I agree that Curac's teleporter was much more savvy. I wonder if any Wraith ever survived one of Curac's attacks and were able to inform the hives of Curac's awesome teleporter. Or did he never leave any survivors?

naamiaiset
September 19th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Curac? His name is Kiryk. I agree the teleporter could be more convenient than beaming in some instances, but not all.

Falcon 304
September 19th, 2008, 08:56 PM
It's totally different technology. Okay, yeah, it transports you, but that's where it ends. I think it's obvious that it somehow taps into one's nervous system for the electrical signals from the brain. *insert technobable* Then you're at where you want to be. I don't remember if it was said during the episode, but it also probably doesn't work over long distances. So if you're ship is about to blow up, you're not getting any farther than the 302 bay. ;)

Hermiiod
September 19th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Yeah it said so in the episode.

ManiacMike
September 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I think the teleporters aren't really teleporters.

I think they temporarily freeze time in a small area and he just moves to the other side and it looks like hes transported. Would explain why it needs to charge.

jenks
September 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Freeze time? Seems a bit of a stretch to me...

Moao
September 19th, 2008, 09:24 PM

I think they temporarily freeze time in a small area and he just moves to the other side and it looks like hes transported. Would explain why it needs to charge.

Uh if that was true why was keller surprised when she was transported with him up the cliff.

beire
September 20th, 2008, 05:13 AM

It was a teleporting device because otherwise there would have been tracks and now there are not :)

Buba uognarf
September 20th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Its better than Asgard beaming in the sense thats its portable. However it is limited by distance and power which is understandable.

Brain_Child
September 20th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I thought that the teleporter was remarkably similar to another device in SG1. I dont remember its name but it was also worn around the wrist, you tap a crystal near its centre and it makes you invisible.

there was even an episode in SG1 about the device being stolen and they had to recover it.

Anyone remember it?

And I also dont think the teleporter is instantaneous. There seemed to be a lag of 1 or 2 seconds before reappearing which you can see when Kuryk disappears and a wraith looks around before he reappears.

jelgate
September 20th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Your thinking about the Sodan cloak and while thei appearence is the same, their function is completly different. The Sodan cloak take you out phase and you can walk in another dimension for a infinite amount of time. Kir'yak's transporter will teleport you and it has time limit

Buba uognarf
September 20th, 2008, 06:23 AM
The fact its not instantaneous is strange. Either it has a mental component which is activated when you press the button or it works in some other way like how ManiacMike described. That explains the lag.

mr_kennedy
September 20th, 2008, 06:57 AM
It's totally different technology. Okay, yeah, it transports you, but that's where it ends. I think it's obvious that it somehow taps into one's nervous system for the electrical signals from the brain. *insert technobable* Then you're at where you want to be. I don't remember if it was said during the episode, but it also probably doesn't work over long distances. So if you're ship is about to blow up, you're not getting any farther than the 302 bay. ;)

not that theres anything wrong with that...... you would need to get to the 302 bay anyway :D

ship blowing up, transporter wont always work :p

kymeric
September 20th, 2008, 07:59 AM
[QUOTE=Brain_Child;8963267]I thought that the teleporter was remarkably similar to another device in SG1. I dont remember its name but it was also worn around the wrist, you tap a crystal near its centre and it makes you invisible.

there was even an episode in SG1 about the device being stolen and they had to recover it.

Anyone remember it?

QUOTE]

No there wasnt. There was a device that gave them super speed and strenth, there was a invisible device, and a holographic mimic device but thats not any of these things.

Yaxez
September 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Curac? His name is Kiryk. I agree the teleporter could be more convenient than beaming in some instances, but not all.
I thought his name was Garek.

Prior_of_the_Ori
September 20th, 2008, 03:06 PM
As said, the only benefit that Kiryk's device had was that it was portable. Asgard beaming is more advanced in the sense that its more powerful and allowed for global levels of transportation AND was capable of teleporting skyscrapers into orbit.

Brain_Child
September 20th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Your thinking about the Sodan cloak and while thei appearence is the same, their function is completly different. The Sodan cloak take you out phase and you can walk in another dimension for a infinite amount of time. Kir'yak's transporter will teleport you and it has time limit

Yes, the Sodan cloaking device. And I think they are much more similar than you are making out. They both take a person to another location in a secret manner. How they do this is different but the end result is the same. The only real deviation between the two is in the frequency of use.

Did anyone think about how exactly it "charges"? Does it have a power generator or something inside? Maybe it attatches itself to the human and uses excess energy generated from the body's chemical processes?

mizzoueng
September 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Brain_Child, i thought you were talking about the Asgard cloaking device that ws stolen by the NID agents back in season 4 or 5.

Kiyrk (or whatever) said that the device allowed him to "wiggle around" this coupled with the fact that it actually looked like it demolecularized (sp?) his body then reassembled it each time made me think that he could move around in an atomic form and pop back into physical form where-ever he wanted to be.

This would explain the short distance as the device would require a large buffer to be able to conatin not only him, but his belongings and the occasional guest.

The device fused itself to his skin, much like the "super soldier" wrist bands from SG-1. It was said to come from an advanced culture, perhaps the new race we are going to meet next week developed it? Kiryk said he traded for it and if I rmember right he said the trader told him what it was and how to use it. It could be that he actually set foot on the new races planet.

The bio-engineering side of it seems some what Wraith, but the color are all off and you would think the Wraith would be using something like that.

airrick
September 21st, 2008, 12:23 AM
I would say its probably much like Nightcrawlers ability from the X Men.. not going to get too technical but he could teleport in his line of sight.. maybe this device is similar if he can see where he wants to go within a short range he can teleport.. ?

Opener
September 21st, 2008, 12:27 AM
I thought the reason it bonded to the wearer's skin was to ensure transport; the power source was something outside the realm of the show, i.e. it just happens. Kind of like subspace. If it is indeed related to the upcoming aliens eps, we'll have to wait and see. Until then, all is speculation until a more solid and "official" explanation comes along.

P-51D Mustang
September 23rd, 2008, 06:11 PM
I think that the Asgard beaming is better just caue its Asgard i mean the teleporter can be supiror by all means but you cant beat any thing made by the Asgard

unluckynumber11
September 23rd, 2008, 06:16 PM
I'm pretty sure that the device doesn't move you anywhere, it moves the universe around you and it just looks like you're moving but you're not. :P

YutheGreat
September 23rd, 2008, 06:17 PM
I think that the Asgard beaming is better just caue its Asgard i mean the teleporter can be supiror by all means but you cant beat any thing made by the Asgard

Kirik's teleporter is good for close-combat. They have a kind of phase-shifting feel to it.

The asgard has mass teleport and distance. Oh you can beam nukes.

Opener
September 26th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Thinking about it a bit more, the device looks like it's organic. In the last part of the episode when Kiryk reattached it to himself, it looked organic to me.

Ultimately, we really don't know much about beyond its effects. It could be a short-range teleporter, or it could be a time dilation device. Or it could be some kind of phase-shifting device like the Sodan have, but without the nasty tendency to attract otherowrldy mutating beasties.

Mitchell82
September 26th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I thought his name was Garek.

That was a Jaffa in season 9 of Sg-1.

Mitchell82
September 26th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I'm pretty sure that the device doesn't move you anywhere, it moves the universe around you and it just looks like you're moving but you're not. :P

*head hurts*;)

hisg1fans
September 27th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I wonder if we'll see the planet/people who invented the device in an upcoming episode? Sounds like they could be pretty formidable.

garhkal
September 29th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Thinking about it a bit more, the device looks like it's organic. In the last part of the episode when Kiryk reattached it to himself, it looked organic to me.

Agreed. It did look more organic, like those 'arm sleeves' were fast growing weeds coiling around his arm.