PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Universe - Casting Call

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

iolanda
September 17th, 2008, 06:55 AM
From SpoilerTV:

http://spoilertv.blogspot.com/2008/09/stargate-universe-casting-call.html

Opinions, anyone?

Looks for me like there is about zero crew members I could identify with.

ykickamoocow
September 17th, 2008, 06:59 AM
From SpoilerTV:

Opinions, anyone?

If thats ture then i am rather disappointed. None of those characters sound interesting and most of them sound extremely cliched.

ykickamoocow
September 17th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Here is what it says for future reference

EXEC PROD/WRTR, Brad Wright, Robert Cooper.
Shoot Dates: February 4, 2009 (in Vancouver, Canada).

Colonel Everett Young
40's handsome, capable, former SG team leader. Like the Jack O'Neill of ten years ago, but Young's edges have tended to sharpen over time. He requested permission to serve the remainder of his commission on Earth upon marrying his wife, Hailey, two years ago, but for now he's temporary commander of a secret off world base. The loss of two members of his team several years ago has taught him never to take anything for granted, and be prepared for anything. He stays on top of his team so they stay alive. STAR NAMES ONLY. SERIES REGULAR;

Tamara Jon
20-25, all ethnicities (Asian Preferably). SGC Field medic, Captain grade. Off world experience. Beautiful, tough, smart, capable. Paramedic level training. Able to triage serious injury. Modest background. Dreamed of being a doctor but couldn't afford medical school and the Air Force was her best option. She ends up being the most medically inclined person on the ship but is overwhelmed by the lack of knowledge and experience treating seriously wounded and ill patients. She also lacks the medicine and supplies and has to make do. SERIES REGULAR;

Chloe Carpenter
20ish. Stunning and sexy. Daughter of a U.S. Senator. Silver spoon upbringing and a little spoiled but not stupid either. Politically and socially savvy. Dreams of following in her father's footsteps but for now she's a bit of a party girl in her first year at an Ivy League school. Her father's tragic death and the dire circumstances of being trapped on a spaceship seriously tests her character. SERIES REGULAR;

Eli Hitchcock
20-25. Total slacker. Utter genius. Mathematics, computers, anything he puts his mind to. Acerbic sense of humor. A social outcast. Comes from a broken home. Lacks confidence because his true intelligence has never really been recognized like Matt Damon's character from Good Will Hunting with a little Jack Black thrown in sptv050769. SERIES REGULAR;

Lt. Jared Nash
20-25. Junior SGC team member. Officer material but green and rough around the edges. Every teenage girl's fantasy. Like a college quarterback thrown into his first pro game, he is thrust into the role of leader well before he's ready for the responsibility and must learn to take command, earn respect through action, and manage the diverse personalities on the ship to keep everyone alive. Like Jason Bourne, he is skilled and well-trained however he is mentally unprepared for the urgency of the situation. SERIES REGULAR;

Ron "Psycho" Stasiak
20, all ethnicities. Marine. Big, strong, silent. You want him on your side. You don't want him mad at you. Lacks control over his temper in non combat situations. His past is a mystery but it's clear something dark formed the hard shell around him. Yet, there must also be some moral center because otherwise he'd kill everyone around him. Think Eric Bana's character "Hoot" in Blackhawk Down. SERIES REGULAR.

quade_1
September 17th, 2008, 07:10 AM
If thats ture then i am rather disappointed. None of those characters sound interesting and most of them sound extremely cliched.

all casting calls look like that, its just a quick background information for actors to get into character for the audition. that might not necessarily be their background.

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Colonel Everett Young
40's handsome, capable, former SG team leader. Like the Jack O'Neill of ten years ago, but Young's edges have tended to sharpen over time. He requested permission to serve the remainder of his commission on Earth upon marrying his wife, Hailey, two years ago, but for now he's temporary commander of a secret off world base. The loss of two members of his team several years ago has taught him never to take anything for granted, and be prepared for anything. He stays on top of his team so they stay alive. STAR NAMES ONLY. SERIES REGULAR;

Yeah I think O'neill losing his son was a tad of a darker background.

Tamara Jon
20-25, all ethnicities (Asian Preferably). SGC Field medic, Captain grade. Off world experience. Beautiful, tough, smart, capable. Paramedic level training. Able to triage serious injury. Modest background. Dreamed of being a doctor but couldn't afford medical school and the Air Force was her best option. She ends up being the most medically inclined person on the ship but is overwhelmed by the lack of knowledge and experience treating seriously wounded and ill patients. She also lacks the medicine and supplies and has to make do. SERIES REGULAR;

This one sounds interesting, she'll likely get Forded by the 2nd season. :S

Chloe Carpenter
20ish. Stunning and sexy. Daughter of a U.S. Senator. Silver spoon upbringing and a little spoiled but not stupid either. Politically and socially savvy. Dreams of following in her father's footsteps but for now she's a bit of a party girl in her first year at an Ivy League school. Her father's tragic death and the dire circumstances of being trapped on a spaceship seriously tests her character. SERIES REGULAR;

Party girl huh? Wow I wonder if the rest of the cast will be invited to the pants party. :S

Eli Hitchcock
20-25. Total slacker. Utter genius. Mathematics, computers, anything he puts his mind to. Acerbic sense of humor. A social outcast. Comes from a broken home. Lacks confidence because his true intelligence has never really been recognized like Matt Damon's character from Good Will Hunting with a little Jack Black thrown in sptv050769. SERIES REGULAR;

Jack Black? So we are going into the Nacho Libre School of Rock Stargate Era? :S

Lt. Jared Nash

20-25. Junior SGC team member. Officer material but green and rough around the edges. Every teenage girl's fantasy. Like a college quarterback thrown into his first pro game, he is thrust into the role of leader well before he's ready for the responsibility and must learn to take command, earn respect through action, and manage the diverse personalities on the ship to keep everyone alive. Like Jason Bourne, he is skilled and well-trained however he is mentally unprepared for the urgency of the situation. SERIES REGULAR;

The bold part truly scares me.

Ron "Psycho" Stasiak
20, all ethnicities. Marine. Big, strong, silent. You want him on your side. You don't want him mad at you. Lacks control over his temper in non combat situations. His past is a mystery but it's clear something dark formed the hard shell around him. Yet, there must also be some moral center because otherwise he'd kill everyone around him. Think Eric Bana's character "Hoot" in Blackhawk Down. SERIES REGULAR.

Um Teal'c or Ronon anyone?

Drizzt Do'Urden
September 17th, 2008, 07:14 AM
only one this can possibly save us now... get rid of the chloe or however her name is spelled she has "the OC" written all over her :mckay:

Xylian
September 17th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I must admit that my expectations for SGU have dropped. Upon reading the characters that will be in Universe, I must say that my hopes for this show have just gone the way of the dodo. All the characters are so cliched, and the Chloe Carpenter character almost made me throw up. "20ish. Stunning and sexy. Daughter of a U.S. Senator. Silver spoon upbringing and a little spoiled but not stupid either...." need I go on? I initially believed that Brad Wright or anyone else heading SGU weren't going to make into some sappy teen drama thing, but now I'm really pissed. I really hope this is only a rumor or someone messing with us, because I seriously can't see SGU being more than Stargate: 90210 now. This totally sucks!:(

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 07:33 AM
only one this can possibly save us now... get rid of the chloe or however her name is spelled she has "the OC" written all over her :mckay:

It's scary because every regular of Stargate has started above 25 years old. I think Michael Shanks was the youngest next to Jason Momoa.

Drizzt Do'Urden
September 17th, 2008, 07:38 AM
It's scary because every regular of Stargate has started above 25 years old. I think Michael Shanks was the youngest next to Jason Momoa.

I know i'm being pessimistic but i seriously hope she goes the way of ford... before the show evven starts if they got rid of her and the one who's supposed to be "like a college quarterback in his first game" then the show might be salvagable IMO

the fifth man
September 17th, 2008, 07:42 AM
For now, I'm not really going to judge things. The team leader interests me a bit, and the others, well, I'll wait for more information on. Once things are a little more official.

Showfan
September 17th, 2008, 07:45 AM

Yes. Shanks was 28, Chris Judge 33 and Amanda Tapping 32.

What I don't like is the spin at the beginning of this segment on Gateworld which asks fans to remember...

(Keep in mind that when Stargate SG-1 began in 1997, Michael Shanks, Christopher Judge, and Amanda Tapping were also in their twenties.)

That's not accurate by any means.

the fifth man
September 17th, 2008, 07:46 AM
... that my expectations for SGU have dropped. Upon reading the characters that will be in Universe, I must say that my hopes for this show have just gone the way of the dodo. All the characters are so cliched, and the Chloe Carpenter character almost made me throw up. "20ish. Stunning and sexy. Daughter of a U.S. Senator. Silver spoon upbringing and a little spoiled but not stupid either...." need I go on? I initially believed that Brad Wright or anyone else heading SGU weren't going to make into some sappy teen drama thing, but now I'm really pissed. I really hope this is only a rumor or someone messing with us, because I seriously can't see SGU being more than Stargate: 90210 now.:(

I am still not ready to jump to that conclusion. I want to actually see these people interact on-screen before I judge anything too harshly.

Naonak
To be fair, the casts of both SG-1 and Atlantis probably sounded just as "cliché" from their casting sides.

iolanda
This cast sounds just wrong and ages too young. Ford didn't work out. Now they have 5 of them...

Showfan
September 17th, 2008, 07:48 AM
To be fair, the casts of both SG-1 and Atlantis probably sounded just as "cliché" from their casting sides.

Yes I"m sure they did. But seriously, couldn't they have worked a little harder to make it sound less like 90210? I mean, come on, PARTY GAL in space??

This cast sounds just wrong and ages too young. Ford didn't work out. Now they have 5 of them...

Agreed.

iolanda
September 17th, 2008, 07:52 AM
This was the casting call for SGA:

http://www.filmjerk.com/news/article.php?id_new=350
http://www.filmjerk.com/news/article.php?id_new=362

# Major John Sheppard: A gifted military pilot, posted at McMurdoch Air Force Base because it’s the only place they will let him fly; Sheppard once defied a direct order and flew his helicopter to rescue two Rangers trapped behind enemy lines. Though people might see a good-ol’ boy exterior he is also a closet mathematical genius. He has a wry sense of humor and likes to pretend he’s not as smart as he really is. Most of the time a perfect gentlemen – who tries his best to be charming – when he’s pushed to fight he can be an absolute animal with single-minded purpose. He distrusts authority and always goes with his gut letting his strong sense of common sense morality lead his actions. The character is listed as being between 35 and 40 years old.

# Dr. Elizabeth Weir: Described as “attractive, brilliant, and the master of five languages,” this 35-year-old started out as a critic of government spending on the military. But she ultimately decided the best way to fight the establishment was to join it and change what she could from within by brokering peace and being a voice of reason to whoever would listen. She worked behind the scenes for the U.S. government as a high level international negotiator for years before being offered command of the Stargate Program by the new President. Now, she has been given the opportunity to lead an international team through the gate to a new galaxy on a grand mission to save all of humanity and she is not one to turn that challenge down.

Mikala: Beautiful and soulful, she is a native of post-apocalyptic alien world viewers will encounter in the initial episode and has lost most of her family to the Wraith. Despite her youth, she has become somewhat of a leader to her people. Initially seen as a love interest for Sheppard, she joins our team’s effort to defeat our common enemy in the Wraith and their budding romance becomes playful sexual tension as they focus on their mission. She proves herself early on to be a surprisingly scrappy fighter, a survivor under any circumstances and an invaluable source of knowledge about the people and worlds we will be visiting. The producers are looking for an actress of any ethnicity for the role, which is listed as being between 20 and 25 years old.

Lt. Aiden Ford: Described as “boyishly good-looking, with an ebullient sense of humor to match,” this 25-year-old is an officer who volunteers for the Atlantis mission. A good man in a tight spot, he accompanies Major Sheppard on a perilous rescue mission to the Wraith planet, where unspeakable terrors lurk. He keeps a cool head and his finger on the trigger when the Wraiths are closing in on the rescue party.

Dr. Benjamin Ingram: In his 40’s, Ingram is a brilliant African Canadian scientist who has done a heroic job of interfacing modern technology with those of the Ancients, and is in large part responsible for the new discoveries that have made the Atlantis mission possible. However, it bothers Ingram that he doesn't possess the rare gene that would allow him to physically interact with the Ancients' technology. He also accompanies Dr. Weir and Major Sheppard on their risky journey to another galaxy, where Atlantis now lies.

Colonel Marshall Sumner: A hardened officer with a buzz cut and a hair-trigger temper, 50-year-old Sumner is no-nonsense and autocratic, a man who is accustomed to having his orders followed without question. He is the military leader of the Atlantis expedition, but he is second-in-command to Dr. Weir. At times, he forgets who's in charge, but he is an inspired commander who is committed to the mission, however dangerous. Later, he refuses to give vital information to the Wraith Queen before meeting an untimely end. Producers are looking for star names for this role.

kymeric
September 17th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I like the sound of this! Its a pretty big regular cast. Its nice to have some diversity. And to any nay sayers, a similar description of Daniel Jackson would describe the kind of guys i used 2 whail on in highschool, but the actual actors presentation is one of my favorite sg characters. I know its hip to whine about everything on the internet, but this show is gonna turn out fine.

Xylian
September 17th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Okay, maybe I'm being too harsh and judgemental like all those others out there in the forums, but I have to say that my faith in SGU is rattled.:S

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 07:56 AM

What I don't like is the spin at the beginning of this segment on Gateworld which asks fans to remember...

It is not accurate. I also did more research. Even Rainbow Sun Francks was at least 25 yo when SGA started.

True, but this is really different than past Stargate casts. SG-1 and SGA just had a winning cast. I still will give them a try but I have never had doubts like this before for any Stargate product.

Yeah, good point. All of them are in their mid to lower 20's except one person who is in their 40's.

jenks
September 17th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I can only hope that this is fake. If Brad and Rob really think that this is what a younger audience wants then they don't know what they're doing.

kymeric
September 17th, 2008, 07:58 AM
... that my expectations for SGU have dropped. Upon reading the characters that will be in Universe, I must say that my hopes for this show have just gone the way of the dodo. All the characters are so cliched, and the Chloe Carpenter character almost made me throw up. "20ish. Stunning and sexy. Daughter of a U.S. Senator. Silver spoon upbringing and a little spoiled but not stupid either...." need I go on? I initially believed that Brad Wright or anyone else heading SGU weren't going to make into some sappy teen drama thing, but now I'm really pissed. I really hope this is only a rumor or someone messing with us, because I seriously can't see SGU being more than Stargate: 90210 now.:(

Well thats tough luck because were gonna FORCE you to watch it. Seriously, some guys in suits are coming to you right now and theyre gonna tape ur eyes open. They were gonna let u get away with not watching ti b4 but now uve riled them up.

:-p

Showfan
September 17th, 2008, 07:58 AM

# Major John Sheppard: A gifted military pilot, posted at McMurdoch Air Force Base because it’s the only place they will let him fly; Sheppard once defied a direct order and flew his helicopter to rescue two Rangers trapped behind enemy lines. Though people might see a good-ol’ boy exterior he is also a closet mathematical genius. He has a wry sense of humor and likes to pretend he’s not as smart as he really is. Most of the time a perfect gentlemen – who tries his best to be charming – when he’s pushed to fight he can be an absolute animal with single-minded purpose. He distrusts authority and always goes with his gut letting his strong sense of common sense morality lead his actions. The character is listed as being between 35 and 40 years old.

# Dr. Elizabeth Weir: Described as “attractive, brilliant, and the master of five languages,” this 35-year-old started out as a critic of government spending on the military. But she ultimately decided the best way to fight the establishment was to join it and change what she could from within by brokering peace and being a voice of reason to whoever would listen. She worked behind the scenes for the U.S. government as a high level international negotiator for years before being offered command of the Stargate Program by the new President. Now, she has been given the opportunity to lead an international team through the gate to a new galaxy on a grand mission to save all of humanity and she is not one to turn that challenge down.

Mikala: Beautiful and soulful, she is a native of post-apocalyptic alien world viewers will encounter in the initial episode and has lost most of her family to the Wraith. Despite her youth, she has become somewhat of a leader to her people. Initially seen as a love interest for Sheppard, she joins our team’s effort to defeat our common enemy in the Wraith and their budding romance becomes playful sexual tension as they focus on their mission. She proves herself early on to be a surprisingly scrappy fighter, a survivor under any circumstances and an invaluable source of knowledge about the people and worlds we will be visiting. The producers are looking for an actress of any ethnicity for the role, which is listed as being between 20 and 25 years old.

Lt. Aiden Ford: Described as “boyishly good-looking, with an ebullient sense of humor to match,” this 25-year-old is an officer who volunteers for the Atlantis mission. A good man in a tight spot, he accompanies Major Sheppard on a perilous rescue mission to the Wraith planet, where unspeakable terrors lurk. He keeps a cool head and his finger on the trigger when the Wraiths are closing in on the rescue party.

Dr. Benjamin Ingram: In his 40’s, Ingram is a brilliant African Canadian scientist who has done a heroic job of interfacing modern technology with those of the Ancients, and is in large part responsible for the new discoveries that have made the Atlantis mission possible. However, it bothers Ingram that he doesn't possess the rare gene that would allow him to physically interact with the Ancients' technology. He also accompanies Dr. Weir and Major Sheppard on their risky journey to another galaxy, where Atlantis now lies.

Colonel Marshall Sumner: A hardened officer with a buzz cut and a hair-trigger temper, 50-year-old Sumner is no-nonsense and autocratic, a man who is accustomed to having his orders followed without question. He is the military leader of the Atlantis expedition, but he is second-in-command to Dr. Weir. At times, he forgets who's in charge, but he is an inspired commander who is committed to the mission, however dangerous. Later, he refuses to give vital information to the Wraith Queen before meeting an untimely end. Producers are looking for star names for this role.

Thanks for this.

I'm not the best judge of these things and yes, there are still some cliches, but nothing at all like the terrifying casting call for Universe. These characters seem more well rounded, more developed from the start.

Oh, and, the descriptions stayed true to form for the most part show-wise. If Universe does that, well, it's going to suck...IMO.

prion
September 17th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Someone needs to do the proper math. Plus why is it being, er, shoved in our faces that the actors were younger? SGU is no doubt going to skew in the early 20s.

Meanwhile, the originator of this casting information is http://www.morrischapdelaine.com/, which is run by someone IN the industry, and which spoilertv, etc. didn't credit.

While casting information is always subject to change, what is posted certainly is NOT enticing. I mean, a character nicknamed 'psycho' who can't control himself? How the hell did that guy get into the sGC in the first place? EDIT. He's a Marine? I dare say the studio won't be getting any freebies from the US Marines if that's the way they want to portray one.

Eli Hitchcock
20-25. Total slacker. Utter genius. Mathematics, computers, anything he puts his mind to. Acerbic sense of humor. A social outcast.

A genius who's a social outcast? Uh, didn't we have Rodney McKay? And at least he wasn't a slacker.

Chloe Carpenter
20ish. Stunning and sexy. Daughter of a U.S. Senator. Silver spoon upbringing and a little spoiled but not stupid either

90210 here we come. Should have named her tiffany ;)

Sorry, but can't get remotely excited - just a bit disgusted - at losing SGA to this dreck.

Drizzt Do'Urden
If they by some slim miracle are going to try and pull this off they're gonna need some really strong actors.

Briangate78

http://www.filmjerk.com/news/article.php?id_new=350

Funny how the only boyish person or young person was yanked after one season to be replaced with a more older rugged looking character.

Talk about Irony. :S

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I can only hope that this is fake. If Brad and Rob really think that this is what a younger audience wants then they don't know what they're doing.

Yeah I am just as confuzzled as you are. :S

Someone needs to do the proper math. Plus why is it being, er, shoved in our faces that the actors were younger? SGU is no doubt going to skew in the early 20s.

Meanwhile, the originator of this casting information is http://www.morrischapdelaine.com/, which is run by someone IN the industry, and which spoilertv, etc. didn't credit.

While casting information is always subject to change, what is posted certainly is NOT enticing. I mean, a character nicknamed 'psycho' who can't control himself? How the hell did that guy get into the sGC in the first place? Wait, they'll probably pick him up foolishly along the way.

Eli Hitchcock
20-25. Total slacker. Utter genius. Mathematics, computers, anything he puts his mind to. Acerbic sense of humor. A social outcast.

A genius who's a social outcast? Uh, didn't we have Rodney McKay? And at least he wasn't a slacker.

Chloe Carpenter
20ish. Stunning and sexy. Daughter of a U.S. Senator. Silver spoon upbringing and a little spoiled but not stupid either

90210 here we come. Should have named her tiffany ;)

Sorry, but can't get remotely excited - just a bit disgusted - at losing SGA to this dreck.

I really want to give SGU a chance, but this casting really just adds more doubts to me. I mean it's ok if one or two characters are younger, but you need that 30 year and 40 year old characters to establish a maturity base. Why do you think SGA and SG-1 worked so well? You have people in their 20's 30's and 40's. It has a wide range for a wide audience.

It makes me laugh since SGA is increasing in young age demos. I swear SCI FI and MGM are really taking a risk with this.

Amalthea
September 17th, 2008, 08:08 AM
When I saw the meet the team link, I was hoping for pictures! That said... I don't know quite what to think of them. I hope they change the colonels name, and the nickname "psycho" for the Marine is somewhat unnerving. I would also like to know why these particular people were sent on this mission, otherwise, I'm afraid they decided on some of the cast because it sounds sexy or whatever.

gange57
September 17th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Lol. Looks like those Young! SG-1 jokes weren't so far off after all. If BW and RCC were going to use "200" as a template for SGU, I would have preferred Teal'c PI. :(

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Lol. Looks like those Young! SG-1 jokes weren't so far off after all. If BW and RCC were going to use "200" as a template for SGU, I would have preferred Teal'c PI. :(

LOL.......Indeed.

flynn1959
September 17th, 2008, 08:13 AM
You know when I read this I laughed so loud my husband came upstairs to see what I was doing.

Every teenage girls fantasy...that is just such a wonderful description. As the mother of a teenage girl whose fantasy man of the moment seems to be Slash from Gun's n Roses I thought it was hysterical.:)

Honestly, I really do hope this is a joke. I love Stargate and I don't want SG1 or Atlantis tainted by utter crap like this. Imagine owning up to the fact that you are a Stargate fan to someone who had only seen an episode of Crapiverse.:( Actually thinking about it this must be wrong, tptb couldn't possibly be that out of touch...could they?

Falcon 304
September 17th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I'm trying very hard to not just say "Universe = crap" until at least the pilot, but dude, come on. I know general character descriptions are also supposed to be short and to the point, but DUUUUUUUUUUDE. This really doesn't help.

ALSO - Based upon the Lt. Jared Nash description, one could infer that the Colonel [unfortunately] dies a la Sumner in Atlantis. Not too original there. If so, dude, Lt.? This seems like a total cluster right now.

Arica15
September 17th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Oh good grief.

This is a train wreck waiting to happen!!!!!

I thought about the spoof bit from 200 as well. This just seems to idiotic for words.

iolanda
September 17th, 2008, 08:18 AM
My first though was "this is a joke" - but then it was approved for translation for our news site. Still hope that someone played a (bad) joke there.

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I just did some research, and here are the ages of the cast when they started...

(SG-1 1997)
Richard Dean Anderson - 47
Michael Shanks - 28
Amanda Tapping - 32
Christopher Judge - 33

(SGA 2004)

Joe Flanigan - 37
David Hewlett - 36
Torri Higginson - 35
Rachel Luttrell - 33
Rainbow Sun Francks - 25
Paul Mcgillion - 35

Falcon 304
September 17th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Dude, seriously, the just need to make a show with Amanda Tapping, David Hewlett, and Jewel Staite. One, some, or all of them said that they were joking about doing a musical or something similar while filming Trio.

Trio musical = GOLDEN NAQUIDA!!!!!!!!!!

Based upon these descriptions: Universe = [the moon] Netu

Falcon 304
September 17th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I just did some research, and here are the ages of the cast when they started...

(SG-1 1997)
Michael Shanks - 28
Amanda Tapping - 32
Christopher Judge - 33

(SGA 2004)

Joe Flanigan - 37
David Hewlett - 36
Torri Higginson - 35
Rachel Luttrell - 33
Rainbow Sun Francks - 25
Paul Mcgillion - 35

WOW! Flanigan is older than I would have thought.

prion
September 17th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I really want to give SGU a chance, but this casting really just adds more doubts to me. I mean it's ok if one or two characters are younger, but you need that 30 year and 40 year old characters to establish a maturity base. Why do you think SGA and SG-1 worked so well? You have people in their 20's 30's and 40's. It has a wide range for a wide audience.

It makes me laugh since SGA is increasing in young age demos. I swear SCI FI and MGM are really taking a risk with this.

they're going to lose audience, no doubt. I don't of many fans who want to watch a 20-year-old marine who loses his tempo and is nicknamed 'psycho'. if i watch to watch genius slackers, hell, i'll watch Big Bang THeory (not that they're slackers, but they're very amusing geniuses)

I'd love to think this casting information is a joke, but it's not, which really makes me wonder what's happened to the brain cells of the producers. No, really. I mean, the most popular characters on SG1/SGA were all in their 30s/40s and heck, even into their 50s (O'Neill).

Of course, they can pay the new cast peanuts to work. Unless ACTRA strikes.

ykickamoocow
September 17th, 2008, 08:32 AM
With this cast i now realise more than ever that this show NEEDS Rodney McKay in order for it to work. No offence to David Hewlett but he isnt young or sexy and i think he would provide a much needed viewpoint aswell as giving Stargate Universe abit more credibility.

Amalthea
September 17th, 2008, 08:32 AM

(SG-1 1997)
Michael Shanks - 28
Amanda Tapping - 32
Christopher Judge - 33

(SGA 2004)

Joe Flanigan - 37
David Hewlett - 36
Torri Higginson - 35
Rachel Luttrell - 33
Rainbow Sun Francks - 25
Paul Mcgillion - 35

Thanks, I didn't think that assertion that Shanks, Tapping and Judge were in their 20s was right. I don't want to watch kids running around space blowing things up like it's a game. I like my veteran-ish actors!

Hong3103
September 17th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Ron "Psycho" Stasiak

Oy... at 20 years old this character has only been in the Corp for 2 years. Extremely green. Makes sense that he loses his temper. He's young and doesn't have a lot of experience.

"Hoot" from Blackhawk Down was a season veteran and a Delta Operator (Delta Force/Army Special Forces/Counter Terrorist Unit)and probably a SGT at or SSGT at the time of that Movie. I don't see how they'll make "Psycho" like this one. One is an efficient special forces soldier while the other is just raw emmotion with no experience... just my 2 cents.

Showfan
September 17th, 2008, 08:34 AM

Agreed 100%. He could pass for 35 easy. It's all in the genes! :mckay:

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I was surprised as well.

they're going to lose audience, no doubt. I don't of many fans who want to watch a 20-year-old marine who loses his tempo and is nicknamed 'psycho'. if i watch to watch genius slackers, hell, i'll watch Big Bang THeory (not that they're slackers, but they're very amusing geniuses)

I'd love to think this casting information is a joke, but it's not, which really makes me wonder what's happened to the brain cells of the producers. No, really. I mean, the most popular characters on SG1/SGA were all in their 30s/40s and heck, even into their 50s (O'Neill).

Of course, they can pay the new cast peanuts to work. Unless ACTRA strikes.

Notice the words , Young, Green, Slacker, Party, Teenage, Handsome, Cute, and Sexy. This is a recipe for disaster. :(

Eureka for an example is geared toward a slightly older audeince and yet they have the highest Ratings on SCI FI. SGA is not that far behind them and they also have higher young demos than Eureka. So, I am very confuzzled. :S

Arica15
September 17th, 2008, 08:41 AM
On second thoughts this HAS to be a joke right? I mean this is too unbelievably ridiculous for words......what's the Colonel going to do for discipline. Detentions?

Falcon 304
September 17th, 2008, 08:41 AM
With this cast i now realise more than ever that this show NEEDS Rodney McKay in order for it to work. No offence to David Hewlett but he isnt young or sexy and i think he would provide a much needed viewpoint aswell as giving Stargate Universe abit more credibility.

No, because then he wouldn't be on a good show/movie series.

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 08:43 AM
On second thoughts this HAS to be a joke right? I mean this is too unbelievably ridiculous for words......what's the Colonel going to do for discipline. Detentions?

That is the funniest part, it likely is not a joke. Tell me you wouldn't rather have another season of Atlantis?

I think a lot of the Pro and Antis from Atlantis are going to become one in the coming months.

gange57
September 17th, 2008, 08:45 AM

The ironically named Young will send them to bed without dinner? Or, maybe he grounds them for the weekend?

JasonG
September 17th, 2008, 08:46 AM

Hahahahaha! Great one.

Yep...sorry Flan...being 41 and really, really good looking, doesn't count for beans in the franchise anymore. Unless you want to play the Authority Figure.

Give me a break. Someone tell me this is a joke.

No, seriously, tell me.

prion
September 17th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Oy... at 20 years old this character has only been in the Corp for 2 years. Extremely green. Makes sense that he loses his temper. He's young and doesn't have a lot of experience.

"Hoot" from Blackhawk Down was a season veteran and a Delta Operator (Delta Force/Army Special Forces/Counter Terrorist Unit)and probably a SGT at or SSGT at the time of that Movie. I don't see how they'll make "Psycho" like this one. One is an efficient special forces soldier while the other is just raw emmotion with no experience... just my 2 cents.

The other is just, well, 'psycho' and if he's two years in the Corps and can't control his temper, why did they keep him? And if it's TBI, he'd be medically discharged.

(SG-1 1997)
Michael Shanks - 28
Amanda Tapping - 32
Christopher Judge - 33

(SGA 2004)

Joe Flanigan - 37
David Hewlett - 36
Torri Higginson - 35
Rachel Luttrell - 33
Rainbow Sun Francks - 25
Paul Mcgillion - 35

Thanks for doing the math. I didn't think anybody but Shanks had been in their 20s ;)

Falcon 304
September 17th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Notice the words , Young, Green, Slacker, Party, Teenage, Handsome, Cute, and Sexy. This is a recipe for disaster. :(

Eureka for an example is geared toward a slightly older audeince and yet they have the highest Ratings on SCI FI. SGA is not that far behind them and they also have higher young demos than Eureka. So, I am very confuzzled. :S

:indeed:

The majority of Stargate fans are older. I'm fairly certain that no one here as even seen an episode of the OC, nonetheless like it. Also, you'd be surprised as to how many (smart/not your typical American 20 year old) girls like the show. I don't understand the reasoning to take such a huge gamble on losing all those [long time] viewers.

ykickamoocow
September 17th, 2008, 08:49 AM

No, because then he wouldn't be on a good show/movie series.

They could easily bring McKay in as a clone or a Alternate reality McKay and still have him for the Atlantis movies. Looking at the Universe cast i realise that they need Rodney McKay to make it work. He is better than Eli Hitchcock (for all McKay's faults he isnt a "total slacker") and he is also a character which is generally well liked by fans.

Also as i said before McKay is nothing like the characters described for Stargate Universe and i think thats a good thing. At the very least they will have abit on contrast.

Arica15
September 17th, 2008, 08:51 AM
That is the funniest part, it likely is not a joke. Tell me you wouldn't rather have another season of Atlantis?

I think a lot of the Pro and Antis from Atlantis are going to become one in the coming months.

I'd rather sit through 20 episodes about the Keller disaster than ten minutes of this tosh.......

Falcon 304
September 17th, 2008, 08:51 AM
They could easily bring McKay in as a clone or a Alternate reality McKay and still have him for the Atlantis movies.

Seriously!?

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 08:52 AM
The other is just, well, 'psycho' and if he's two years in the Corps and can't control his temper, why did they keep him? And if it's TBI, he'd be medically discharged.

Thanks for doing the math. I didn't think anybody but Shanks had been in their 20s ;)

No problem. I cannot find Jason Momoa, but he is 29 yo now and started on the show 3 to 4 years ago. So he was also 25 or older.

flynn1959
September 17th, 2008, 08:52 AM
:indeed:

The majority of Stargate fans are older. I'm fairly certain that no one here as even seen an episode of the OC, nonetheless like it. Also, you'd be surprised as to how many (smart/not your typical American 20 year old) girls like the show. I don't understand the reasoning to take such a huge gamble on losing all those [long time] viewers.

Waves Grandmotherly hand in the air sheepishly.:o

iolanda
September 17th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I just don't want to see David Hewlett doing THIS.

McKay lives from his way to work with his team, and I can't imagine him around a bunch of cliché twens.

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I'd rather sit through 20 episodes about the Keller disaster than ten minutes of this tosh.......

LOL, that's what I figured. :p

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 08:55 AM
***To all the fans here who are over 49 years old***

According to the network, you don't exsist. :(

ykickamoocow
September 17th, 2008, 08:55 AM

McKay lives from his way to work with his team, and I can't imagine him around a bunch of cliché twens.

McKay would actually be the mature one :D

flynn1959
September 17th, 2008, 08:56 AM
No problem. I cannot find Jason Momoa, but he is 29 yo now and started on the show 3 to 4 years ago. So he was also 25 or older.

I can't shake the name Stargate babies from my mind! I can't wait to see the cast pics from this rubbish, I wonder if they will let the actors wear their school uniforms?

Falcon 304
September 17th, 2008, 08:59 AM

Pfft 49!? Try 29!!! :p

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I can't shake the name Stargate babies from my mind! I can't wait to see the cast pics from this rubbish, I wonder if they will let the actors wear their school uniforms?

Something like this...

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x25/heartbeat0511/Luong%20The%20Thanh/Keanu%20Reeves/Nsync/0402_nsync_b.jpg

Falcon 304
September 17th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Something like this...

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x25/heartbeat0511/Luong%20The%20Thanh/Keanu%20Reeves/Nsync/0402_nsync_b.jpg

Aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahhahahhahahahahahhaha!!!

*cough cough cough*

Ugh, stop making me laugh, I'm sick. ;)

Arica15
September 17th, 2008, 09:00 AM
LOL, that's what I figured. :p

On the other hand I always liked Muppet Babies and this sounds about the same level....:p

flynn1959
September 17th, 2008, 09:02 AM

Does that mean I don't have to go cook dinner for the family now? Good! I can stay here and play with all of the other people who don't exist. Wait a minute...does that mean that my money doesn't exist either? Damn! I could have saved myself a small fortune buying all of those Stargate dvds, mags,cons etc. On the bright side if I no longer exist I won't have to spend even more on Universe stuff.:)

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 09:03 AM
On the other hand I always liked Muppet Babies and this sounds about the same level....:p

Shows like Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and Eureka seem to be the old school shows now. I just don't get it anymore. I mean like I said above Eureka has a higher median age than Atlantis from the numbers I've seen and yet it is SCI FI's number one show. Atlantis is still a top 3 show for the network, I just don't get it.

flynn1959
September 17th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Something like this...

Arghhhh ... warn a person before you throw Justin at them!!!!

Showfan
September 17th, 2008, 09:05 AM

Oh, I completely agree.

Let's leave the amazing characters and actors of Atlantis with some dignity. I can't imagine Hewlett or Flanigan even wanting to be associated with this drivel.

:mckay::sheppard::ronan::teyla:

Hong3103
September 17th, 2008, 09:06 AM

That's where his CPL's & SGT's step in to mentor him, help him develop and grow. At least that's how it would happen in reality...

TBA
You got to be kidding me! This is sounding worse and worse by the minute. I'll wait with my final judgement for the pilot, but this is sounding utter ridiculous.

Arica15
Shows like Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and Eureka seem to be the old school shows now. I just don't get it anymore. I mean like I said above Eureka has a higher median age than Atlantis from the numbers I've seen and yet it is SCI FI's number one show. Atlantis is still a top 3 show for the network, I just don't get it.

As I said, this has to be a joke, I cannot believe that they have taken leave of their senses in this manor. And if they have and this is real......well they deserve EVERYTHING that will be coming their way with this (ridicule I would imagine is just the start.)

And here was me thinking that nothing could ever make Flash Gordon look classy by comparison

Pandora's_Box
September 17th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Oh. My. God!

After 10 years of the highly successfull SG-1 and almost 5 of the also successful SGA, BW and RCC turned around and decided that they wanted to go out like this??!!

90210 meets Lost in Space?

Why is everyone so young? Why does everyone have to be stunning and sexy and a genius beyone their years just trying to cope with the horrors of the situation?

And why are 2 of the character based around characters played by Matt Damon?

Hell no. I do not watch Stargate to see characters making googly eyes at each other while dramatically trying not to cry because they miss their mommies and want to go home.

Bah!

marielabbott
September 17th, 2008, 09:12 AM

I think you might be right, Brian. ;) I have my issues with Atlantis, but I never wanted it cancelled, and certainly not in favor of this drek. I mean, seriously, they describe a character as "every teen girl's fantasy?" Gossip Girl the Space Version, here we come. :S

ykickamoocow
Oh, I completely agree.

Let's leave the amazing characters and actors of Atlantis with some dignity. I can't imagine Hewlett or Flanigan even wanting to be associated with this drivel.

:mckay::sheppard::ronan::teyla:

McKay is the one that always made sure that Sheppard knew when he was kirking. It would practically be a full time job on Stargate Universe as i can see atleast 4 of those characters kirking alot.

Also a alternate universe McKay could be interesting. A McKay which is just as smart as this universe McKay but maybe has a slightly different personallity.

Prior_of_the_Ori
Not sure but am I the only one who isnt bothered by the casting call? Just names to me and seems ok to me, depends more on the cast and how they act.

Pandora's_Box
September 17th, 2008, 09:14 AM
McKay is the one that always made sure that Sheppard knew when he was kirking. It would practically be a full time job on Stargate Universe as i can see atleast 4 of those characters kirking alot.

Also a alternate universe McKay could be interesting. A McKay which is just as smart as this universe McKay but maybe has a slightly different personallity.

Isn't that who they're trying to make the Hitchcock character out to be?

Way to ruin one of the franchise's best characters BW. Way to go.

Falcon 304
September 17th, 2008, 09:15 AM

No, that would be totally stupid. Besides, Hewlett is moving to the states and still has his movie and web series to work on.

jelgate

(SG-1 1997)
Michael Shanks - 28
Amanda Tapping - 32
Christopher Judge - 33

(SGA 2004)

Joe Flanigan - 37
David Hewlett - 36
Torri Higginson - 35
Rachel Luttrell - 33
Rainbow Sun Francks - 25
Paul Mcgillion - 35

Does Don S. Davis not exist in your SG1?

Madeleine
I'm not bothered by the youngsters, but by the absence of oldies. Just one more over-35 would give the show an extra aspect. At the moment the old guy will only get to be 'dad' to the kids, but with another proper adult around they could be an equal to someone.

Naonak
September 17th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Not sure but am I the only one who isnt bothered by the casting call? Just names to me and seems ok to me, depends more on the cast and how they act.
Nope, I'm with you. :D As long as they're well-written and acted, I don't really care how old they are, as long as it makes sense.

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Does Don S. Davis not exist in your SG1?

I think it is safe to say Don S Davis was over 25 when he came over to Atlantis. ;) Yeah I forgot to add him, I just posted RDA to compare to the new cast member of SGU.

Arica15
September 17th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Suggestion for the new theme:

Stargate Babies, we make our dreams come true
Stargate Babies, we'll do the same for you

Nash: When your world looks kinda weird and you wish that you weren't there
Carpenter: Just close your eyes and make believe and you can be anywhere

Nash: I like adventure
Carpenter: I like romance
Jon: I love great jokes
Psycho: Animal dance!!
Hitchcock: I've got my computer
Nash: I swing through the air
Jon: I play the piano
Nash: And I have blue hair
Hitchcock: Me, I invent things
Carpenter: Mee mee mee meee!

Young: Is everything all right in here?
All: Yes, Nanny.

Stargate Babies, we make our dreams come true
Stargate Babies, we'll do the same for you

Stargate Stargate Stargate Stargate
Babies Babies Babies Babies
Make dreams come true.

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I'm not bothered by the youngsters, but by the absence of oldies. Just one more over-35 would give the show an extra aspect. At the moment the old guy will only get to be 'dad' to the kids, but with another proper adult around they could be an equal to someone.

You hit the nail on the head of how I feel. I don't mind a couple of younger cast members actually don't mind at all. But we need some people in their 30's as well. To set a balance.

Madeleine
September 17th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Balance isn't terribly important to me, but variety is. Another middle-aged person would be scope for a good deal more variety in the inter-personal relationships.

Still, this is just a casting call, it's not necessarily the only characters, there might be more.

Pandora's_Box
September 17th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Old people are so last year.

It's all about duplicating Gossib Girl nowadays.

iolanda
September 17th, 2008, 09:28 AM
No, that would be totally stupid. Besides, Hewlett is moving to the states and still has his movie and web series to work on.

Hewlett already lives in the States as far as I know (somewhere around Bellingham).

Falcon 304
September 17th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Nope, I'm with you. :D As long as they're well-written and acted, I don't really care how old they are, as long as it makes sense.

Well no dur, but this certainly doesn't help any hype/anticipation they could be building.

dasNdanger
September 17th, 2008, 09:29 AM
To save this, they REALLY, REALLY need Todd. REALLY.

das

Pandora's_Box
September 17th, 2008, 09:31 AM

das

So that he can age them all by about 10 years or so that he can just do away with them all and we can start the casting process all over again?

The right way.

iolanda
September 17th, 2008, 09:31 AM

I am really old and fragile (32) and I have to admit, that the best written show about a bunch of 20 year olds just does not interest me.
Maybe I should start knitting or start a hobby like collecting stamps.

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 09:33 AM

das

Yeah, he can feed on all the cast under 25. ;)

Lythisrose
September 17th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I was surprised as well.

And they cancelled SGA for THIS??? OMFG.......
Well, I thought I'd at least give it a chance but now I'm not so sure.
What a cryin' shame.:(

kymeric
September 17th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Obviously hed be functional or he would have been cashiered out in boot or in the first yr. Now why would the military want a functional or highly functional killer? XD Hell if hes smarter than average he could end up in special forces. It takes a special kind of killer to make the best of the best. No guilt, no remorse, just the job and the high of the action.

Id hire someone like that to protect my teenage daughter, as long as theres a good seargent to keep him on task your safer than in a bunker.

G-Force of Sweden
September 17th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Can you belive it, Universe is just gettin' worse and worse.
Only one God damned 40-year-old! What is this, 90210?! And the female characters seems to be the worst. And why are there two? There should be one great woman, like in SG-1.

And who comes up with these terrible names, anyway?
Universe, what a lousy show it'll be...

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 09:36 AM
And they cancelled SGA for THIS??? OMFG.......
Well, I thought I'd at least give it a chance but now I'm not so sure.
What a cryin' shame.:(

I was hoping one day I would wake up and there would be a press release saying it was all a joke and SGA will be entering it's 6th season. Well this could happen in a world where people are not baboons who make these kind of decisions.

Laura Dove
September 17th, 2008, 09:36 AM

Noooo! A clone, if they wish, but keep the real Todd in SGA movies. Unless he feeds on all those "pretty chicks/boys" to make room for interesting characters. :mad:

Seriously, this sounds awful, less because of the ages than the ridiculous importance they grant the physical attractiveness of the cast. I highlighted what sounds bad to me in the general SGU thread: http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=8946050&postcount=2767

The worst thing is that such a cast might in fact prove successful. I remember the success of the Stephanie Meyer vampire stories, or Buffy... I personally hate it, but there IS an audience for that.

jenks
September 17th, 2008, 09:38 AM
While I agree that the character descriptions sound awful, I don't understand why people are so bothered about their age. I mean it's not like Shep and McKay act much older than teenagers, let alone 20 somethings...

Lythisrose
September 17th, 2008, 09:38 AM
People b*tched about the female team and whiney Keller in SGA...
Be careful what you complain about folks, cause now we get.....
PARTY GIRL!

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 09:40 AM
While I agree that he character descriptions sound awful, I don't understand why people are so bothered about their age. I mean it's not like Shep and McKay act much older than teenagers, let alone 20 somethings.

It's not the age per say, it is the descriptions. I am a 30 yo guy who likes woman, do you think having a character that is a a pretty boy and all teenage girls falling for is going to interest me?

I can picture this line in the show..... "But Officer, she told me she was 18" :S

Repli!kat
September 17th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Whoa, this is making Keller sound mature!
I'm sorry Im so soooooooorrrryyy I complained, PTB, you can stop punishing me now.
I repent.
(please tell me I am living in an Alternate Reality and this is NOT happening)

Pandora's_Box
September 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM
But SGU isn't about vampires or slaying or hot chicks slaying hot vampires or sleeping with them.

SGU also has a legacy to carry - a franchise behind it. One that has already garnered a pretty enormous fanbase and reputation.

The reputation being the most important thing. People see Stargate as that geeky sci-fi show. Nerds watch it. It's on a nerd channel with "typical" sci-fi plots, storylines, characters. It's got aliens and spaceships and weird physics and mathematical concepts.

It's not for everyone. And it certainly isn't for your average teenybopper or young adult who watched 90210 or Gossip Girl or watched the OC and loves Grey's Anatomy and all that stuff.

What worries me is that seems likes exactly the sort of audience TPTB are trying to gear this towards and I just don't see it working.

Whenever anything related to Stargate will pop up, people will think of everything that it was in previous incarnations and will write this new one off as more of the same, decide it's not for them, and won't watch it. And what's worse is that it could be so different from what longtime Stargate fans are used to that they won't watch it either.

And there you have the death of the franchise.

jenks
It's not the age per say, it is the descriptions. I am a 30 yo guy who likes woman, do you think having a character that is a a pretty boy and all teenage girls falling for is going to interest me?

I can picture this line in the show..... "But Officer, she told me she was 18" :S

Aren't there loads of female fans like that already?

Briangate78
Whoa, this is making Keller sound mature!
I'm sorry Im so soooooooorrrryyy I complained, PTB, you can stop punishing me now.
I repent.

I guess the 2.1 Million people who have been tuning into Atlantis this season don't mean squat to the network or MGM. Truly is sad.

The_Carpenter
September 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM
This sounds.... in one word... horrific

I will still give it a chance but I seriously hope those descriptions change dramatically.

Laura Dove
Whenever anything related to Stargate will pop up, people will think of everything that it was in previous incarnations and will write this new one off as more of the same, decide it's not for them, and won't watch it. And what's worse is that it could be so different from what longtime Stargate fans are used to that they won't watch it either.

Yeah, you might be right. The targeted audience will say "Stargate? Bleh, that's for nerds who don't like real life fun!" and the current audience will say "What's this @*$# crap?!?!"

Edit: I still keep faint hopes that it's a fake, even though we aren't April 1st. :(

Hobbes
As a twenty-something myself, I'm only interested in watching a show about other twenty-somethings, because that's definitely how these things work.

Prior_of_the_Ori
September 17th, 2008, 09:53 AM

Indeed, I just find it strange on how people will complain about anything. Sheppard kirking, Mitchell, Vala, Ori, Keller, all female team, now the cast for Universe.

I mean sounds strange that a party girl is in the team but surely to have a good character you would need some character flaws to work with like how Rodney is arrogant and so full of himself. Makes for good episodes to see these personalities interact. But in the end this is the casting call, what actors they get and how they play the role is what counts.

But meh thats just my opinion. I'm going to give this a shot and if I think its crap then I will comment on it but until then I'm going into this with an open mind.

WingedPegasus
September 17th, 2008, 09:53 AM
After careful review of the list of characters . . .

I think I'm going to puke. :S

What's with this decision? It sounds like a bad fanfic! Shockingly, not every sci-fi fan likes soap operas based on moody teenagers stuck in a malfunctioning spaceship.

I was seriously considering watching SGU, but now I'm even more seriously considering hiding from my television the night it airs.

dasNdanger
September 17th, 2008, 09:55 AM
So that he can age them all by about 10 years or so that he can just do away with them all and we can start the casting process all over again?

The right way.

Honestly, I do not mind the ages. I'm 46, and have NO PROBLEM whatsoever at watching a bunch of muscular 20-something-year-old guys running around, shooting guns. Nah, age doesn't matter.

What bothers me is the frequent use of the word 'beautiful'. If this is the real casting call, then the sheer shallowness of needing 'beautiful' people on the screen just really annoys me, mainly because that refers primarily to the Hollywood concept of beauty, and not the real world reality of it.

See, I would certainly watch a show that had people I could relate to appearance-wise, no matter their age. And I'm not talking about casting dogs, either. For instance, I think Meryl Streep is a lovely woman today, just as she was a lovely young lady years ago. Looking for actors with that sort of attractiveness - more natural, down to earth, classic - not with all the eyebrow plucking and fake boobies and stuff - but women who look real. Same goes for the men - I don't mind looking at an attractive man on the screen, but if he's TOO attractive, if they are ALL too attractive, then you look at the team and say, "In real life, I never see 5 people this beautiful in the same room...and yet...here they all are, fighting to save the universe!"

See? Hokey. (For the record, though I was born and raised and still live in the USofA, I tend to watch more British productions because their actors look more natural and believable in the roles they are cast in.)

So, for me, youth has nothing to do with it...but a show in which the characters are over-the-top beautiful tends to turn me off. SG1 had several normal-looking actors, and SGA, despite Ronon's and Teyla's, and even Shep's, nice looks, still had regular folks like Rodney and Caldwell and now Woolsey, and even Weir and Sam - all of who are attractive, but not artificially beautiful. And at the same time we had the Wraith, with their unique beauty, to counteract any status quo of Hollywood-inspired human 'perfection' in the main cast.

And, of course, there's Todd...absolutely the sexiest of them all, and HE has FOUR nostrils on his face!

So, yeah - that's why - if that casting call is accurate - they need Todd. Just to add personality to that lineup, and show that there are many different forms of beauty, and not all are of the cookie-cutter Hollywood variety.

(and yes, I am smitten by an eyebrow-challenged giant green life-sucking space bug. Get over it. :p )

das

txTart
September 17th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Bwahahahaha!!

The_Carpenter
September 17th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Indeed, I just find it strange on how people will complain about anything. Sheppard kirking, Mitchell, Vala, Ori, Keller, all female team, now the cast for Universe.

I mean sounds strange that a party girl is in the team but surely to have a good character you would need some character flaws to work with like how Rodney is arrogant and so full of himself. Makes for good episodes to see these personalities interact. But in the end this is the casting call, what actors they get and how they play the role is what counts.

But meh thats just my opinion. I'm going to give this a shot and if I think its crap then I will comment on it but until then I'm going into this with an open mind.
But what would a party girl in her first year at uni/ college whatever you want to call it have to do with the Stargate Program? let alone being sent off world?

Girlbot
September 17th, 2008, 09:57 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/signs11/13.gif

Browncoat1984
September 17th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I personally would love to see Nathan Fillion as the commander...if they want to cast a well known actor in that role, he is one of the few SF staples who hasn't been cast in SG who would fit that role. If Nathan Fillion is cast in this series, then there's some hope for it...he would keep those kids in line.

The senator's daughter...am I the only one who had flashbacks to Kinsey when I read that? Just what we need, a character who is as annoying as Kinsey was as a lead character.

I've been cautiously optimistic about Universe...but those character descriptions have me worried. Why must every description have "sexy, hunk, etc." in them? And what's the Senator's daughter doing with the team? Why would the SGC let the senator's daughter with the team, let alone on a mission where they're doing something that's never been done before? I find it hard to believe that Landry would put up with her going with them...

While I'm not surprised, as has been said before, most of those characters sound...exactly like what we've had before on Atlantis and SG-1. I thought Universe was supposed to be fresh and different? Yet the only original-sounding character, the senator's daughter, doesn't excite me at all.

Prior_of_the_Ori
September 17th, 2008, 10:00 AM
But what would a party girl in her first year at uni/ college whatever you want to call it have to do with the Stargate Program? let alone being sent off world?

Fathers connections getting her there? I mean it does say she is spoilt and sounds to me like a person who tries to get what she wants. Sounds a bit silly that the Stargate Program could allow such people aboard but hey.. perhaps they think that the Expedition will be able to remake contact with Earth thanks to its new intergalactic spaceships and are bummed to find out that the ship is so far away that they won't be able to make it back.

Anyway, its still too early to say anything. This is the casting call and really we won't see how the characters turn out until the show starts. McKay was incredibly annoying on SG-1 in the beginning and was surprised to see him in Atlantis where he turned out to be quite an enjoyable character. Who knows, perhaps peoples minds might change.

But anyway thats my view, not forcing it on anyone.

WingedPegasus
September 17th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Honestly, I do not mind the ages. I'm 46, and have NO PROBLEM whatsoever at watching a bunch of muscular 20-something-year-old guys running around, shooting guns. Nah, age doesn't matter.

What bothers me is the frequent use of the word 'beautiful'. If this is the real casting call, then the sheer shallowness of needing 'beautiful' people on the screen just really annoys me, mainly because that refers primarily to the Hollywood concept of beauty, and not the real world reality of it.

See, I would certainly watch a show that had people I could relate to appearance-wise, no matter their age. And I'm not talking about casting dogs, either. For instance, I think Meryl Streep is a lovely woman today, just as she was a lovely young lady years ago. Looking for actors with that sort of attractiveness - more natural, down to earth, classic - not with all the eyebrow plucking and fake boobies and stuff - but women who look real. Same goes for the men - I don't mind looking at an attractive man on the screen, but if he's TOO attractive, if they are ALL too attractive, then you look at the team and say, "In real life, I never see 5 people this beautiful in the same room...and yet...here they all are, fighting to save the universe!"

See? Hokey. (For the record, though I was born and raised and still live in the USofA, I tend to watch more British productions because their actors look more natural and believable in the roles they are cast in.)

So, for me, youth has nothing to do with it...but a show in which the characters are over-the-top beautiful tends to turn me off. SG1 had several normal-looking actors, and SGA, despite Ronon's and Teyla's, and even Shep's, nice looks, still had regular folks like Rodney and Caldwell and now Woolsey, and even Weir and Sam - all of who are attractive, but not artificially beautiful. And at the same time we had the Wraith, with their unique beauty, to counteract any status quo of Hollywood-inspired human 'perfection' in the main cast.

And, of course, there's Todd...absolutely the sexiest of them all, and HE has FOUR nostrils on his face!

So, yeah - that's why - if that casting call is accurate - they need Todd. Just to add personality to that lineup, and show that there are many different forms of beauty, and not all are of the cookie-cutter Hollywood variety.

(and yes, I am smitten by an eyebrow-challenged giant green life-sucking space bug. Get over it. :p )

das

Exactly. It's a like a cast full of Mary Sues and inexplicably handsome men . . . Gosh, what does this sound like . . . Oh, I know. A soap opera. :mckay:

Right! Sounds like Keller, but worse. I had no idea that anything worse than Keller could exist. :S

Drizzt Do'Urden
September 17th, 2008, 10:11 AM
hmm well i guess the cast of high school musical does need new jobs now that their series of movies is over.

and with that one chick from that on the show we might just get that full frontal nudity that there seems to b a whole thead dedicated to on here...

seriously i was hoping that stargate would never some to this. ugh

ykickamoocow
September 17th, 2008, 10:13 AM
hmm well i guess the cast of high school musical does need new jobs now that their series of movies is over.

and with that one chick from that on the show we might just get that full frontal nudity that there seems to b a whole thead dedicated to on here...

Is that the generic foreign student who walks around completely naked and who's accent keeps changing? :)

Edit - I just checked, the movie im thing of is "Not Another Teen Movie".

WingedPegasus
September 17th, 2008, 10:14 AM

I'm quite displeased that my favorite sci-fi show is being dishonored by this atrocity. Maybe I'm overreacting, (I sure hope so!) but things look very grim as of right now.

dasNdanger
September 17th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Is that the generic foreign student who walks around completely naked and who's accent keeps changing? :)

If that's the case, then - again - I vote for Todd!! Or, maybe...better yet - Steve's clone...seeing as how I already have him (Stevuada) in my sig, frontal nudity and all! WOOT!! And he has an accent! Who knew the Wraith were from Britain! (I always thought they from Germany, actually.) And - despite their age, they're always young and beautiful!! With REALLY GREAT HAIR!! (Well, except for Todd...but I hear tell that he got tangled up with an electrical outlet once, and his hair has never been the same since...)

das

prion
September 17th, 2008, 10:22 AM
That's where his CPL's & SGT's step in to mentor him, help him develop and grow. At least that's how it would happen in reality...

But if he's got that many problems, why isn't he somewhere getting help?

Yeah, he can feed on all the cast under 25. ;)

Yes, bring on Todd!!!

Obviously hed be functional or he would have been cashiered out in boot or in the first yr. Now why would the military want a functional or highly functional killer? XD Hell if hes smarter than average he could end up in special forces. It takes a special kind of killer to make the best of the best. No guilt, no remorse, just the job and the high of the action.

Id hire someone like that to protect my teenage daughter, as long as theres a good seargent to keep him on task your safer than in a bunker.

If they go with the description, he can't control his temper, he's a liability. Ah, he'll just be another TV stereotype...

People b*tched about the female team and whiney Keller in SGA...
Be careful what you complain about folks, cause now we get.....
PARTY GIRL!

Groan. Well, this will give me back an hour each week i would have spent watching tv....

iolanda
September 17th, 2008, 10:26 AM
If that's the case, then - again - I vote for Todd!! Or, maybe...better yet - Steve's clone...seeing as how I already have him (Stevuada) in my sig, frontal nudity and all! WOOT!! And he has an accent! Who knew the Wraith were from Britain! (I always thought they from Germany, actually.) And - despite their age, they're always young and beautiful!! With REALLY GREAT HAIR!! (Well, except for Todd...but I hear tell that he got tangled up with an electrical outlet once, and his hair has never been the same since...)

das

IF the Wraith were from here I'd know that. They aren't. What a pity. They are way cooler than the cliché German Nazi villain. :P:D;)

poundpuppy29
September 17th, 2008, 10:29 AM
So glad I am not not alone when I read this I was not happy because don't they realize the GG gets pummeled by TTSCC on mondays and I watched some of the 90210 and it is bad I watched the orignal and it is nothing like it.

Here is a link to ratings

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=8906847&postcount=1025

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 10:33 AM
So glad I am not not alone when I read this I was not happy because don't they realize the GG gets pummeled by TTSCC on mondays and I watched some of the 90210 and it is bad I watched the orignal and it is nothing like it.

TTSCC is really good. :)

kymeric
September 17th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I dont know who you guys think you are fooling, you are all gonna watch this show and like it. Otherwise you woulda just said 'thats dumb' and clicked on another sub forum. But you came her and griped, over and over. I see you all in the season1episode1 thread sometime next summer XD

Moao
September 17th, 2008, 10:35 AM
"20-25. Junior SGC team member. Officer material but green and rough around the edges. Every teenage girl's fantasy. Like a college quarterback thrown into his first pro game, he is thrust into the role of leader well before he's ready for the responsibility and must learn to take command, earn respect through action, and manage the diverse personalities on the ship to keep everyone alive. Like Jason Bourne, he is skilled and well-trained however he is mentally unprepared for the urgency of the situation. SERIES REGULAR;"

Yay! eye candy. I wonder how many times he will take his shirt off. ;)

this is ridiculous, Im so tired of this whole perfect people thing. At least the doctors lack of knowledge sounds some what neat.

kymeric
September 17th, 2008, 10:40 AM

If they go with the description, he can't control his temper, he's a liability. Ah, he'll just be another TV stereotype...

Being a dick to people is different than running around the barracks with your gun screaming and shooting. The first case sounds liek someone who ends up being your boss, the second is a berserker. All sorts of people have anger problems in all sorts of jobs. And this guys in a job where itll prolly work out good.

If your pissed off all the time and violent your gonna LOVE a job where u can cut off the tops of aliens heads and gun down enemies infront of hot chicks who will swoon. Prolly get a promotion fast too. I believe thats called being gung-ho.

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I dont know who you guys think you are fooling, you are all gonna watch this show and like it. Otherwise you woulda just said 'thats dumb' and clicked on another sub forum. But you came her and griped, over and over. I see you all in the season1episode1 thread sometime next summer XD

Who says I am not going to watch it? People have every right to complain here, if they have bad vibes about something, they have every right to have their doubts. Just like how other people may think it will be the best thing ever. All power to them.

Lady Vaako
September 17th, 2008, 10:45 AM

And I bet they'll have their names stitched inside the collar... Oy! This is such a humongous joke... I'll admit I used to watch The OC - even though I was way past the target audience in terms of age - and I did enjoy it for what it was but I don't want to see it mixed with Stargate. It's just a recipe for disaster and I cannot believe that the producers are not seeing this. There is zero credibility in a team of space explorers no older than 25 and on their own to save whatever galaxy they'll be stranded in. They'll still all be green and wet behind the ears! WTF?!

Someone wake me up from this nightmare... Please?

kymeric
September 17th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Who says I am not going to watch it? People have every right to complain here, if they have bad vibes about something, they have every right to have their doubts. Just like how other people may think it will be the best thing ever. All power to them.

Well if the show is a hit then your wrong, thats right opinions can be wrong. I can say moby dick is literary garbage. But no one will listen, and no one will publish or buy my book titled "Moby Dick Suxxorz"

I just wish i had a forum to talk about sgu with something than omgsux wallpapered in every thred.

Pegasus_SGA
September 17th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Being a dick to people is different than running around the barracks with your gun screaming and shooting. The first case sounds liek someone who ends up being your boss, the second is a berserker. All sorts of people have anger problems in all sorts of jobs. And this guys in a job where itll prolly work out good.

If your pissed off all the time and violent your gonna LOVE a job where u can cut off the tops of aliens heads and gun down enemies infront of hot chicks who will swoon. Prolly get a promotion fast too. I believe thats called being gung-ho.

No. That's called being an irresponsible ass that will get people killed. :P

Jackie
September 17th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I just read the news...and haven't read this entire thread.

IMHO...this is great news for me. It's sounds cheesy and cliche. Ooo, loads of material to pick apart. *rubs hands together with evil laugh*

bluealien
I have no interest in watching a bunch of socially and emotionall lacking twenty somethings. There is nothing I can relate to from these bios and I find it insulting that the ptb are only trying to appeal to the youngsters. I'm totally sick of everything these days being geared towards kids, sorry but the Stargate audience is made up of all age groups but yet the ptb only want to appeal to one portion of that audience. Fans that have supported the franchise for the past 15 years are being tossed aside. I do care that they are all youngsters.. Pouty and psyco kids don't appeal to me at all. I want something of substance and a more diverse cast that can appeal to all ages.

The ptb had the perfect cast on SGA but didnt really know what to do with them or use them to their full potential so instead of trying to develop them they cancell the show and give us babes in space instead.

What a sad way for the franchise to go.:(

iolanda
Well if the show is a hit then your wrong, thats right opinions can be wrong.

I'd personally love to be proven wrong in this case. But it just does not feel like that.

(Remember Star Trek: Nemesis? I had the worst feelings about that the moment I read about the first of its plot. And I was SO right. To TPTB: please don't let me be right with SGU)

Moao
September 17th, 2008, 10:50 AM
And I bet they'll have their names stitched inside the collar... Oy! This is such a humongous joke... I'll admit I used to watch The OC - even though I was way past the target audience in terms of age - and I did enjoy it for what it was but I don't want to see it mixed with Stargate. It's just a recipe for disaster and I cannot believe that the producers are not seeing this. There is zero credibility in a team of space explorers no older than 25 and on their own to save whatever galaxy they'll be stranded in. They'll still all be green and wet behind the ears! WTF?!

Someone wake me up from this nightmare... Please?

*poke* *poke* wakey wakey eggs and bacy

Wardog117
September 17th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Looking back over the Atlantis casting call, it has some cliches as well. However, I can only hope that some of this will change before Universe comes out, as it is a little dissapointing to see such flat stereotypical characters.

GhostPoet
September 17th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I'm a little iffy on one of the characters...but otherwise, I see a lot of potential here. There is a ton of room for growth in each character.

Not sure on the team leader.

And let me just add....an asian team member. YES!! FINALLY!!!!

Continuum
September 17th, 2008, 10:55 AM
It would be fun if they let Woolsey continue his command with this team....I say more Picardo!!

Calhoun
Colonel Everett Young

Wha??? But... his first name has more than four letters! And it doesn't start with a "J"! Don't the writers realise they're destroying a decades-old Stargate tradition?! Jack and John would be ashamed, ashamed I tells you!

*runs*

Briangate78
Well if the show is a hit then your wrong, thats right opinions can be wrong. I can say moby dick is literary garbage. But no one will listen, and no one will publish or buy my book titled "Moby Dick Suxxorz"

I just wish i had a forum to talk about sgu with something than omgsux wallpapered in every thred.

Well, SGU replaced SGA literally. SGA is still performing very well. The most recent ep pulled in some record ratings. So it's confusing people to why they are letting SGA go when it is still successful. People are upset now, so the majority would seem to not be welcoming SGU with open arms.

With SGA and SG-1 it was different. Nothing was replaced. They ran SG-1 and SGA for 3 years together.

I was all for SGU, I still am, but I am very cautious now with this young cast. I am still hoping it is a fluke.

I just read the news...and haven't read this entire thread.

IMHO...this is great news for me. It's sounds cheesy and cliche. Ooo, loads of material to pick apart. *rubs hands together with evil laugh*

You are sooooooooo Evil, but I love it. :p

Moao
September 17th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I'm a little iffy on one of the characters...but otherwise, I see a lot of potential here. There is a ton of room for growth in each character.

One thing i'm confused about it who is the team leader? I see FORMER team leader...but not the actual team leader. Nevermind...I see now. He was a former leader and now a current leader of the new team.

The older one will prob die, leaving our sexually frustrated (at the start) teenagers all alone on a space ship.

This will of course cause the jock to get upset and take his shirt off for no reason what so ever, and the party girl will start to cry, the slacker will say "yo dude that sucks" and the psycho will sharpen his teeth.

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I'd personally love to be proven wrong in this case. But it just does not feel like that.

I feel the same way. Heck we will have more SG. If it is a train wreck, it is going to be a war. Knowing SGA was cancelled for garbage.

SGU has a lot to prove.

GhostPoet
September 17th, 2008, 11:01 AM
On first read...I thought the same thing. I thought it was going to be One Tree Hill IN SPACE!

but...reading it closer and really thinking about it...getting over my personal bias...i've come to realize that because these characters are a little green, that means there is a ton of room for growth...more so than with more experienced characters.

Often times, character bios when read...don't come close to what is shown on screen. It may describe them perfectly...but reading and SEEING the actor put his/her own personality into the character are two very different things.

GhostPoet
September 17th, 2008, 11:02 AM
*cough* ASIAN TEAM MEMBER! WOOOO!!!

*cough*

Pegasus_SGA
September 17th, 2008, 11:04 AM

How can opinions be wrong if they're someone's personal opinions? Brian isn't stating his feelings as fact it's his opinion. In your eyes it might be wrong, but maybe not in his eyes.

Well, since (as far as i'm aware) no pro or anti threads, praise and compliments, misgivings etc then this will have to suffice and you'll need to understand that there are two sides to everything. :D

iolanda
September 17th, 2008, 11:04 AM

Not sure on the team leader.

They surely can gain some centimetres of body length over the first season. The older one will most probably just loose some out of old age.

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 11:06 AM
How can opinions be wrong if they're someone's personal opinions? Brian isn't stating his feelings as fact it's his opinion. In your eyes it might be wrong, but maybe not in his eyes.

Well, since (as far as i'm aware) no pro or anti threads, praise and compliments, misgivings etc then this will have to suffice and you'll need to understand that there are two sides to everything. :D

Heck , Ghost Plumbers is a huge hit, yet I think the show is awful and is not worth watching at all. I'd rather burn my eyes out.

The Prophet
September 17th, 2008, 11:06 AM
And you felt you were special enough to warrant your own thread, why?

We already have the Casting Call thread & Discussion thread; along with more likewise unwarranted and repetitive "Universe sucks" and "Give Universe a Chance Threads".

Linda06
September 17th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I have no interest in watching a bunch of socially and emotionall lacking twenty somethings. There is nothing I can relate to from these bios and I find it insulting that the ptb are only trying to appeal to the youngsters. I'm totally sick of everything these days being geared towards kids, sorry but the Stargate audience is made up of all age groups but yet the ptb only want to appeal to one portion of that audience. Fans that have supported the franchise for the past 15 years are being tossed aside. I do care that they are all youngsters.. Pouty and psyco kids don't appeal to me at all. I want something of substance and a more diverse cast that can appeal to all ages.

The ptb had the perfect cast on SGA but didnt really know what to do with them or use them to their full potential so instead of trying to develop them they cancell the show and give us babes in space instead.

What a sad way for the franchise to go.:(

I couldn't have said it better myself blue.....They're destroying the stargate franchise :(

From what i've read about SGU it doesn't even feel like stargate anymore :(

Pitry
September 17th, 2008, 11:14 AM
To quote the wonderful, funny and sexy Donna Noble, played by 40-year-old Catherine Tate: "You are kidding me!!"

These cannot be the characters. Please.
I never realised all these 90210 jokes would turn out to be true....

Thing is, I'm not buying the "well, of course they look like clich on paper, wait til we se the real show". 5 years later, Teyla is still a cliche. Ronon is a cliche. Sheppard is a cliche (sorry Peg ;)).

And their character description wasn't as cliched as all the characters decribed here.

And oh yeah. Other than the party girl/ 90210 bit - what exactly does the Chloe Carptenter character do there? Why is she on this team? I might have missed the part where they said she could in some way contribute to off world missions or was in the USAF while clawing my eyes out.

flynn1959
September 17th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Well you won't see me there.

Maybe the reason people are posting here is the very faint hope that maybe, just maybe, someone from tptb will read the comments and have a major re-think. As it stands I wouldn't watch Universe if it was the only show on tv and I was tied to a chair in front of it with my eyes glued open!

Jonathan091
September 17th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I was on the fence until I saw this, and frankly, I do not think I will even bother watching this unless something dramatically changes or TPTB wake up.

Anyway, I think it's about time for someone to start the Anti-Universe thread :/

Thunderbird 2
September 17th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Well, assuming this is not a hoax - and the only thing that makes that credible to me is the fact Gateworld has it as a headline, I am (to be diplomatic) underwhelmed.

One thing that really alarms me about the civie characters mentioned is that it implies the Stargate programme goes public. Atlantis's civilians add up, because they were head hunted by Dr Weir as the best and brightest in their fields. - Rodney Mckay is excepted to a degree, because he was already part of the Stargate programme from his previous experience with the SGC and the US Air Force. It was a no brainer to include him from his knowledge, experience and cleared security level.
By contast Bratty senators daughter and slacker mathematics genius sound like the kind of people the SGC and Atlantis would do everything to avoid!

The Colonel sounds like a contraction of O'Neill when he was cold and unapporachable, with apsects of Cromwell form "A Matter of Time" and both Dillon Everett and Marshall Sumner from Atlantis.

The medical character is a younger Keller with the military aspects of a not quite qualified Janet Frasier. (As she is the medical doctor if she is not killed outright "Becketted" or left behind on a planet, it will be a miracle!)

The remaining two are classic military cliches. The angry one and the "green inexperienced" one, who is an unwise repeat of Ford. Assuming he is not intended to be bumped off to shock the audience. Regardless how good the actors that are cast as these characters are, they are going to have very a tough time as far as credibility is concerned.

I thought Atlantis started out with a solid set of characters, and I understood the loss of Ford as a regular, because he was underused. Part of me is actually grateful this A4 page of cliches is going to be cut off from Earth. - If it is as bad as I suspect it to be, then at least it won't pollute SG1 or what I enjoyed about Atlantis! (I stopped watching after the middle of season 3).

As an aside, Worf was not part of Star Trek The Next Generation's casting call. Gene Roddenberry did not want to see any of the established TOS era aliens in the new series, fearing TNG would not grow with its own identity. Producer Robert Justman convinced him otherwise, with Roddenberry accepting the idea of a Klingon officer in the background on the ship. Michael Dorn's audition cemented the idea of Worf as a main character, and the more he was given to play with, the more the character flourished and opened new story opportunities. Its irronic on two levels, TNG would never have been as good without the reappearance of the established species, something carried over into DS9, and Worf himself is one of Treks most complicated and rich characters!

I mention all of this because casting and characters are not static things. - We may yet have an offworld friend on the team like Teal'c or Teyla. It may well be they plan to add-and-drop characters as they go along, as Babylon 5 and more recently BAttlestar Galactica has successfully done.

I repeat, - assuming this is not leaked disinformation, or a plain and simple hoax.

If it does turn out to be awful, I am thinkful I have 10 years of SG1 and 2.5 years of Atlantis I can enjoy, plus the onging DVD film franchise! :sam59: :beckett:

fraggleD
September 17th, 2008, 11:34 AM
This can not be serious. Surely.

If it is.....OMFG!!!!! WHAT?!?!?

I have never had anything against younger characters. What I DO take offense to is the you-are-too-old-to-watch attitude. But that is aside.

WHAT are they THINKING!!! They are cancelling SGA for THIS?!

That is all I am gonna say, coz I am laughing too hard to believe this!!

:p

Major_Griff
September 17th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Ugh, most of these characters do sound dumb. I've officially downgraded my stance on SGU from excited and optimistic to cautiously optimistic. I like the O'Neill clone, the captain doctor, and the McKay clone. The rest range from whatever to lame. I still have faith in the PTB, but these characters do not sound good.

crowmagnumman
September 17th, 2008, 11:36 AM
OK.

1) The characters all sound pretty awful. This could be a recipe for disaster.

2) How do you audition for this? Seriously. This show could turn out awful. But some part of me still wants to be in it. It's Stargate, and I've still got the faint hope that this will be good. And being 20, naturally I think I could make this show more awesome by being in it.

Major_Griff
September 17th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Yeah I don't like the sound of the characters, but I still want to give the show a chance, because these really are just genaric descriptions meant for agents to see and say, "Hey, my client could play that role"

flynn1959
September 17th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I was on the fence until I saw this, and frankly, I do not think I will even bother watching this unless something dramatically changes or TPTB wake up.

Anyway, I think it's about time for someone to start the Anti-Universe thread :/

Why don't we all just quietly slip away and stop posting about it, maybe then tptb will get the message.;) No one interested here...move along.

Jeff O'Connor
September 17th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I feel vaguely offended by this.

Well, my girlfriend might enjoy this show. If it proves as half-baked and utterly OC-esque as it sounds, though, the pilot will be the first and last episode I watch.

ToasterOnFire
September 17th, 2008, 11:53 AM
The absurdity just keeps on getting better and better. Did TPTB make a bet with someone or what? :D

Pitry
September 17th, 2008, 11:55 AM
One thing that really alarms me about the civie characters mentioned is that it implies the Stargate programme goes public.

Y;know what? I would have loved seeing a Stargate show set after the programmes went public - assuming the show is on Earth and actually deals with it. If the programme is public knowledge and yet it doesn't affect the characters cos they're all on a spaceship, what's the point??

Jeff O'Connor
September 17th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Toaster, I feel like Elizabeth and Rodney right now. Not what your banner is actually intending to show (I think it's a ship pic?) but their expressions must closely mirror my own.

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 12:05 PM
The absurdity just keeps on getting better and better. Did TPTB make a bet with someone or what? :D

This is punishment for not liking Keller. :p :D

Jeff O'Connor
September 17th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Thor, ya got aspirin?

Ltcolshepjumper
September 17th, 2008, 12:06 PM
From SpoilerTV:

Opinions, anyone?

What little hope I had for the future of the Stargate Franchise just died. This would make people NOT watch the movies.

Jeff O'Connor
September 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM
You know, I have to wonder if Brad Wright actually believes the fanbase would react positively to this? I'd imagine he would think at least some of us would, since he must know he can't succeed on new viewership alone.

Or Everett Young alone, for that matter. Is that one person above the age of 25 supposed to make the vast majority of the fanbase sing 'kumbaya'? For frak's sake, I'm only 21 but I hated 'young adult'-esque shows all my life. If that's how they want to play this out, I'm not going to change my mind because there's a big spinning thing in it.

Dezrai
September 17th, 2008, 12:11 PM

Just had to post this.... A friend made it!

It is time for.... Sesame Gate!!

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii138/fraggledragon/sosga/sesame.jpg

Hope the link works!!

Pitry
September 17th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Or Everett Young alone, for that matter. Is that one person above the age of 25 supposed to make the vast majority of the fanbase sing 'kumbaya'? For frak's sake, I'm only 21 but I hated 'young adult'-esque shows all my life. If that's how they want to play this out, I'm not going to change my mind because there's a big spinning thing in it.

Exactly! (cept I'm 24).
Maybe it's time TPTB and SciFi learned to appreciate a little bit more their viewers.

Ltcolshepjumper
September 17th, 2008, 12:12 PM
When someone mentioned 200, I thought it wouldn't happen Judging from the casting, it seems as though this will go down... very badly. I don't think its a good idea that every character except one is younger than 25. No. 30 I could see, but definitely not 20-25. This doesn't need to turn into a teen drama. And I really expected better from Brad Wright.

Hong3103
September 17th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Marines stick together we help each other out whether it be in fire fight or back home with with money issues.

The younger junior troops I served with that had anger management issues were mainly attributed to their immaturity or lack of experience with life. If they had serious issues we'd send them to a counseler/psychologist. If that were the case they most likely wouldn't hold a security clearance... which I'm sure anything "Stargate" related would require.

The_Carpenter
September 17th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Indeed.... sad times....

But I like the name ;)

Jeff O'Connor
September 17th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Hey, she's a little spoiled. But she isn't stupid!

She's downright dumb.

JeffKnight
September 17th, 2008, 12:16 PM
This is punishment for not liking Keller. :p :D

The reason I didn't like Keller to start with is that she replaced a character that I thought brought compassion to Atlantis. Shepherd, McKay, Teyla, Ronin, Weir all brought some part of humanity to the team, but none could compete with the compassion and ethical responsibility that Carson had.

Reiko
September 17th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Head, meet desk.

Keller and Chloe should become best friends. lol. Or maybe if Chloe doesn't work out they'll use Keller. ;)

ciannwn
I feel quite ill after reading that. :( One of the descriptions amused me, though.

Tamara Jon ....Paramedic level training. ...Dreamed of being a doctor....She ends up being the most medically inclined person on the ship

One would hope she'd be medically inclined under the circumstances.

I don't want to look at what David Howe thinks is every teenage girl's fantasy. I want to look at Wraith. Maybe some teenage girls like to look at them too.

Cheystar
I'm not too concerned with this casting call. I would have preferred to see ages in the mid-20's vs "20-ish" but I'm still planning on watching. I think a lot is going to ride on who they get as the "name actor" as obviously he's going to be the leader.

Jeff O'Connor
September 17th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Head, meet desk.

Keller and Chloe should become best friends. lol. Or maybe if Chloe doesn't work out they'll use Keller. ;)

I have a feeling Keller will be entirely too sophisticated for Chloe.

...And I'm not the biggest Keller fan in the world, mind.

Prior_of_the_Ori
Well thats tough luck because were gonna FORCE you to watch it. Seriously, some guys in suits are coming to you right now and theyre gonna tape ur eyes open. They were gonna let u get away with not watching ti b4 but now uve riled them up.

:-p

lol

Anyway, I remain open minded until I actually see the pilot. Why? Because whats on paper might not necessarily happen on screen. We might get a character that you absolutely hate from the casting call and get someone brilliant playing them. So in that regard I pretty much echo what the fifth man said.

In my view, its too early to tell but thats my opinion.

luvmac
While I agree that the character descriptions sound awful, I don't understand why people are so bothered about their age. I mean it's not like Shep and McKay act much older than teenagers, let alone 20 somethings...

I'm bothered about their ages. I mean I have to suspended all kinds of logical to believe that a military organization like the SGC or even the IOA would send a group of green 20 somethings on such an important mission. When Atlantis was discovered they sent a full military contingent as well as a full scientific staff (about 200 people) and most had either experience in military situations, off-world experience or with the scientist had been involved in the program for some years.

Now there's even a greater discovery made and I'm to believe that the SGC would send 6 people (okay maybe there's more) with virtually no experience. We don't have a doctor but a medic who hasn't any experience with severe emergencies. What experience exactly is the senator's daughter bringing? Oh yeah, she knows how to party. A 20 year old psychopath. Why would any of those people be on this mission to begin with (with the exception of the Lt.)??

Jeff O'Connor
Tamara Jon ....Paramedic level training. ...Dreamed of being a doctor....She ends up being the most medically inclined person on the ship

ROFL. I thought about that too.

Pitry
September 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I've never been Atlantis' biggest supporter, even during season 3 when I thoughtt hey finally got it right, for the most part.

But I have to ask myself - they cancelled SGA for that?!

Linzi
September 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I just read the casting call on GW's front page. The first thing I thought was that it must be April 1st. When I realised it wasn't, I wished it was.

Good grief! Has BW lost the plot? :eek: If the execs at MGM and SciFI want a younger audience, fine. I'm extremely glad I'm not their target audience. What a load of old rubbish. How sad.

Pharaoh Atem
September 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM
well knowing the cast ages kinda puts a "oh crap" feeling to my hopes of bring mckay over to SGU but meh i'll still watch :D

Pepermint Jaffa
September 17th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Wow. I can't believe how much everyone is overacting to this. I'm not going to condemn the show until there's actually a show. Just wait and see. A lot depends on who they cast.

LOL people.

Ikaros
September 17th, 2008, 12:33 PM

Amazing!! we finaly agree on something !!!

Naonak
September 17th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Wow. I can't believe how much everyone is overacting to this. I'm not going to say a show is bad until there's actually a show. Just wait and see. LOL.
Heretic!

;)

Jnk1986
September 17th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I dont really care about the characters yet, untill I know wich actors are gonna play who and what.

They do need some good actors for this show to work.

I like Eli from the description.

Prior_of_the_Ori
September 17th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Wow. I can't believe how much everyone is overacting to this. I'm not going to condemn the show until there's actually a show. Just wait and see. A lot depends on who they cast.

LOL people.

Well people are entitled to their opinion, I personally think we should wait and see the pilot before actual judging begins but thats what I think.

Ikaros
September 17th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I'm not too concerned with this casting call. I would have preferred to see ages in the mid-20's vs "20-ish" but I'm still planning on watching. I think a lot is going to ride on who they get as the "name actor" as obviously he's going to be the leader.

Yes, the leader and his minions...
Could SG1 be as successfull as it was, if they ONLY counted on RDA?
Yes they counted heavily on him, but if it wasn't for serius Science stuff and convincing co-stars i don't think they could have make it.

Lianne
September 17th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Oh...the first thing that came to my mind was Mary Sue. MANY Mary Sues and their male counterparts.

Second thought....poor Colonel, he will feel like in primary school with them.

And my last thought - WHy they all sound like a rehash of every SG character there has been?

(Oh well....this certainly didn´t raise up my hopes for SGU).

david2708
September 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Does Brad need a list of all the top modelling agencies to begin the casting process. I can give him a list.
I'd also like a copy of Brad's well worn 'Cliche Characters 101 for Dummies' book. I. too want to think up 10 stereotypes to cast in my own imaginery Stargate show.
Which character will the the 'tough as nails but heart of gold?
I hope the spoilt rich girl character has her own little poodle to carry around in her versace space bag while roaming the Destiny. I can just see her passing the other 20 something male characters and saying OH MY GOD...TOTALLY HOT!
And, of course, the geek character will have a crush on spoilt rich dumb girl character.
10 seasons of unrequited love. Oh joy!

Reiko
A lot depends on who they cast.

I hear Britney is looking for a job. ;)

prion
Marines stick together we help each other out whether it be in fire fight or back home with with money issues.

The younger junior troops I served with that had anger management issues were mainly attributed to their immaturity or lack of experience with life. If they had serious issues we'd send them to a counseler/psychologist. If that were the case they most likely wouldn't hold a security clearance... which I'm sure anything "Stargate" related would require.

I do understand that about real-life Marines and am definitely not quibbling over, but am quibbling over that the 'dark dangerous, not too stable' aspect is being pushed by the producers for this character. It would seem very doubtful if "psycho" couldn't control his temper, that they'd let him off-world where he could start an interplanetary war with the wrong action.

Pepermint Jaffa
September 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I hear Britney is looking for a job. ;)

Like I said...a lot depends on who they cast. ;)

prion
September 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Does Brad need a list of all the top modelling agencies to begin the casting process. I can give him a list.
I'd also like a copy of Brad's well worn 'Cliche Characters 101 for Dummies' book. I. too want to think up 10 stereotypes to cast in my own imaginery Stargate show.
Which character will the the 'tough as nails but heart of gold?
I hope the spoilt rich girl character has her own little poodle to carry around in her versace space bag while roaming the Destiny. I can just see her passing the other 20 something male characters and saying OH MY GOD...TOTALLY HOT!

wait, is Paris Hilton doing anything??? *cough*

Pitry
September 17th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Amazing!! we finaly agree on something !!!

It would appear SGU has an incredible gift of bringing Gateworld members together.

Gotta give them that... ;)

Pegasus_SGA
September 17th, 2008, 12:52 PM
It would appear SGU has an incredible gift of bringing Gateworld members together.

:lol: see next stop world peace. :D

Pitry
September 17th, 2008, 12:55 PM
:lol: see next stop world peace. :D

:lol:

I can just see that. I know they don't air Stargate anymore here, but you know? Half of Israel's problems could haev been solved if they did. Everyone would get together adn talk about how horrible sGU sounds and forget to hate each other! :D

The_Carpenter
September 17th, 2008, 12:57 PM

I can just see that. I know they don't air Stargate anymore here, but you know? Half of Israel's problems could haev been solved if they did. Everyone would get together adn talk about how horrible sGU sounds and forget to hate each other! :D
Just no dancing holding hands in fields of flowers with flowers in our hair :S....

Ikaros
September 17th, 2008, 01:03 PM

That's about all i'll ever give them .... lol

Lexx
September 17th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I lost my breath for a couple seconds when I read through the character descriptions. They are, quite possibly, the most ridiculous sounding characters I've ever encountered. At this point I'm pretty firmly in the, "not going to bother with the pilot" camp.

Of course, I just turned 24, which would make me one of the oldest crew members on SGU. I guess old-timers like me don't matter anymore :D

Pegasus_SGA
September 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Ah that's so sweet :)

Just no dancing holding hands in fields of flowers with flowers in our hair :S....

Well since most of the viewers will be pushing up daises will there be any flowers left to put into people's hair? :eek:

oooh bad peggy *slaps wrist*

Linda06
September 17th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Just had to post this.... A friend made it!

It is time for.... Sesame Gate!!

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii138/fraggledragon/sosga/sesame.jpg

Hope the link works!!

hehe...Nice!

Yeah...I notice.....Who knew this is all it took to get us together....Maybe they should have done this years ago ;)

Pitry
September 17th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Yeah...I notice.....Who knew this is all it took to get us together....Maybe they should have done this years ago ;)

Maybe if SGA would have been as bad as I considered it to be only yesterday.... ;)

GhostPoet
September 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I feel like i'm the only one keeping an open mind to this. =(

Jeff O'Connor
September 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM

I actually came back on to bring that up. I think Wright's secret agenda was to polarize the fans. To unite us, once and for all.

I'm just not entirely certain if he meant for all that polarization to be so firmly lodged against him, but since the alternative what be that he thought we'd all like this... I guess he knew.

Pepermint Jaffa
September 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM

Nope me too. I'm reserving judgment until there's actually a show to judge. Casting calls are just rough templates to give the people auditioning something to work with. Once they pick which actors they're going to hire, TBTB of any show routinely modify the character bios to mesh with the actor they hire. It's WAY too early to condemn this show.

Killdeer
September 17th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Well since most of the viewers will be pushing up daises will there be any flowers left to put into people's hair? :eek:

oooh bad peggy *slaps wrist*

*laughs at Peggy* :D

This casting call is one of the most hilarious things I've ever read. I still have no intention of watching, but now I'm intrigued to see who they cast for all these...*cough* fascinating roles. ;) I'm also relieved that it doesn't sound like there's any place for them to steal from our Atlantis cast - I was slightly concerned that they might bring Rodney over. I would just as soon have Rodney safe on Atlantis with his team, even though the show's over.

I still wouldn't be real surprised if Keller ended up here somehow though. Maybe in place of the Tamera character.

Oh, and BTW, Michael Shanks may have been the youngest member of the cast at 28, but his character was 32 when the show started. So, no, no twenty-somethings on SG-1. And Ford was the only one on SGA.

poundpuppy29
September 17th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I had an open mind until I read those character descriptions but I think I will wait until my SG fans watch and tell me I have friends all over this fandom from all different perspectives so I will wait for the reviews first

crowmagnumman
September 17th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I still think they should have put Cassandra(Colleen Rennison) in this. She's young enough to fit what they're going for, and previous Stargate fans might find it easier to accept her in a new Stargate show.

aboleyn24
September 17th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I am trying really hard to remain open minded. To give the show that murdered SGA a fair chance. I think in order to do that I should stop reading things like this because so far I am not a happy camper.

Its not only the age that concerns me, but mostly the descriptions. Most of these people seem like the last folks that the SGC would pick for a mission such as this. So it makes me question the plot because why would a "party girl" be on this mission in the first place? Are they having some sort of tour of the new found ship, maybe a school trip when it suddenly takes off into space stranding the students and the one teacher aboard? I am just trying to wrap my head around why people such as this would be those trusted to be sent to this ship.

Did they learn from Atlantis? Don't send the best because if they get trapped there we won't have any one capable of bringing them back. Send the monkeys first and if it goes okay then we can send the actual team.

It also bothers me that the only characters that can be minorities are really cliched. Why can't the party girl or the commanding officer be a different ethnicity? Just a thought, but not all commanding officers are white men.

Maybe it is all a joke, a foiler and its not real. That is what I am hoping for.

Pitry
September 17th, 2008, 01:24 PM
fascinating[/I] roles. ;)

I migth actually change my mind and watch the pilot after all, just to see how bad it actually is.

As for keeping an open mind. I did, for a very very long time.
I'm afraid I've reached my limits on that one.

ko2008
September 17th, 2008, 01:30 PM
This casting call made me throw up in my mouth a little. :(

Sounds like the producers put out the call "All aboard the fail train..."

Actually, my first thought was:

*mouth hangs open*
...wh..wha...what...
"They canceled Atlantis for this..."

Gen Blue
September 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM
There's no GATE! How can you be "StarGate" without a GATE!
I'm not an Atlantis fan but, I watched it because of adventures through a GATE! I grew to like Rodney (almost) and Carson.

As a 53 yr old woman, I'm definitely interested in looking at good looking guys. I'm older, I'm not dead. :D But ..... *shudder* With those character descriptions, I wouldn't read a fic about them.

I'd never approve a character bio like that either.

Pegasus_SGA
September 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM

nah you're not the only one. I've got an open mind, but this is not my kind of Stargate thanks very much. I actually like people that have lived a life so therefor value it, if I wanted to see a party girl or a slacker, or a psycho, I just have to walk into my office and get it for free. ;) This is not what I want from a TV show thanks very much.

*giggles* i'm so naughty sometimes. :o

This casting call is one of the most hilarious things I've ever read. I still have no intention of watching, but now I'm intrigued to see who they cast for all these...*cough* fascinating roles. ;) I'm also relieved that it doesn't sound like there's any place for them to steal from our Atlantis cast - I was slightly concerned that they might bring Rodney over. I would just as soon have Rodney safe on Atlantis with his team, even though the show's over.

I still wouldn't be real surprised if Keller ended up here somehow though. Maybe in place of the Tamera character.

Oh, and BTW, Michael Shanks may have been the youngest member of the cast at 28, but his character was 32 when the show started. So, no, no twenty-somethings on SG-1. And Ford was the only one on SGA.

fascinating roles.... I love that description, maybe that should have been part of the Bio's :lol: I mean what is wrong with actors being in their late 20's and thirties? Oh you know what? That bolded bit? I said the same thing to someone not twenty minutes ago. :lol:

Ikaros
September 17th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I had an open mind until I read those character descriptions but I think I will wait until my SG fans watch and tell me I have friends all over this fandom from all different perspectives so I will wait for the reviews first

You're not taking any chanches yourself eeee?

Drizzt Do'Urden
September 17th, 2008, 01:37 PM
idk i mean there are a couple things that the could do to make this semi salvagable.

first off no chloe just no... no.... no....

if they were to put this from the angle of these main characters not being the best in the expidition or whatever is sent and just the average people therefor getting the perspective from the everyman working the gate base that could b intersting if they did it right. after all the past two shows the leads are always the leaders in their respective areas so if they didn't put these people in charge and had a whole messload of people higher up than them and acknoledged this it could and i stress COULD be interesting. idk just a thought.

Pepermint Jaffa
September 17th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Here's the casting call they used for SGA:

It's hard to compare the SGA casting call to the SGU casting call because b/c we KNOW the Atlantis characters now, but notice that there are several differences between the SGA casting call and the actual SGA characters. For example, the "Teyla" character was supposed to be in her 20's too. Just b/c some of the characters in the SGU casting call are listed as "20ish", doesn't mean they might not be older. But who cares if they are in their 20's?! Who they cast makes all the difference.

TPTB in any show inevitably alter the casting call bios to some extent based on the actors they end up hiring.

And to be honest, I don't understand the people that say they will NOT watch the pilot. That makes no sense. I think the BSG spinoff, Caprica, looks stupid; but I'm still going to watch the Pilot episode because maybe I'm wrong. If you're a fan of one or both of the previous Stargate shows, refusing to give the next one a chance is a bit silly IMHO.

heeroyue
September 17th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Well.....I'm still going to hope.....After that though I'm not sure it's going to be worth the year wait and the 40 bucks to watch Universe (I don't have cable)........Sadly I'm in the target audience. When I read through the casting call I kept thinking, "Geez, this sounds like I never left school today..." Honestly, based of the casting call, I think I would rather just walk through my high school. The ages of the characters bothers me, maybe it shouldn't but it does. They're only supposed to be 3 or so years older than I am now. I know that there's a major maturity difference between 17 and 20 but still. At 20 you're not mature enough to pull off an expedition of this nature. My brother was still living at home when he was 20. I have a really hard time believeing that the SGC would send a bunch of 20 year olds on a mission when they don't know what could happen to them. The team they're casting for just seems to young and inexperinced to work. They don't even send a real doctor for cryin' out loud!

Now having said that, I'll still wait and see who they cast and probably get someone to tape the pilot for me before saying I hate it. For all I know the actors they chose could completely make up for the fact that the casting is not very believable. I hope it does. I want to like it, but so far I'm not sure.

Ripple in Space
September 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Water boarding.

But since they're stuck away from Earth they can't risk damaging their uniforms so clearly they'll need to strip down to their skivvies before the said water boarding takes place. I hear 20min. of the third episode will be devoted to this after Chloe & Tamara violate a direct order.

Khentkawes
September 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM

ROTFL! So true! Which is also one of the reasons I'm trying to be optimistic.

Nope me too. I'm reserving judgment until there's actually a show to judge. Casting calls are just rough templates to give the people auditioning something to work with. Once they pick which actors they're going to hire, TBTB of any show routinely modify the character bios to mesh with the actor they hire. It's WAY too early to condemn this show.

No the two of you are not alone. I was pretty disturbed when I first read it, but I quickly realized that these things change. After all, Ben Browder's character originally had the initials of M.M. Teyla's character had a different name and was listed on the cast call as about 20 years old. McKay didn't exist on the cast call. So things change.

I fully expect that when they do auditions, they'll end up picking actors who are in their late 20's or early 30's. After all, they want decent actors who have some experience.

Character descriptions almost always sound cliched (the Atlantis cast call towards the beginning of this thread is really quite horrible). There's also stuff in these character outlines that doesn't ever make it into the show. For instance, has any episode in Atlantis ever referenced the fact that Sheppard is supposedly a mathematical genius? I've never understood why that was in the initial description of Shep's character when it wasn't a significant part of the show.

But I do think that the party-girl-senator's-daughter makes no sense. Why would she be there? And some of these other characters should be older if they have any experience/education/military rank... but Stargate has never been realistic with it's characters, so why should this be any different?

But, considering things will probably change, I'm still relatively optimistic.

Killdeer
September 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
That bolded bit? I said the same thing to someone not twenty minutes ago. :lol:

:lol: Well, great minds....or so they say. ;)

Pegasus_SGA
September 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Here's the casting call they used for SGA:

It's hard to compare the SGA casting call to the SGU casting call because b/c we KNOW the Atlantis characters now, but notice that there are several differences between the SGA casting call and the actual SGA characters. For example, Teyla was supposed to be in her 20's too. Just b/c some of the characters in the SGU casting call are listed as "20ish", doesn't mean they might not be older. But who cares if they are in their 20's?! Who they cast makes all the difference.

TPTB in any show inevitably alter the casting call bios to some extent based on the actors they end up hiring.

I think the actors who are on SGA now are very much like that, and if it was a choice between this or Stargate babies then i'd chose this everytime. Firstly it's not all about youngsters, it has interesting characters a wide variety of individuals, who have varied skills and life experiences (which i've yet to see or read about) and it reads like they're actually interesting characters. Now from what I read on the SGU bio's i'm actually extremely put off if they're going to be the identities of the new characters.

jenks
September 17th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I'm not an Atlantis fan but, I watched it because of adventures through a GATE! I grew to like Rodney (almost) and Carson.

As a 53 yr old woman, I'm definitely interested in looking at good looking guys. I'm older, I'm not dead. :D But ..... *shudder* With those character descriptions, I wouldn't read a fic about them.

I'd never approve a character bio like that either.

Yes there is.

EvenstarSRV
September 17th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Tamara Jon

I'm liking her character the best so far, probably because I'm an Indian in my early-twenties who's about a year from finishing her paramedic training. Definitely a character I can identify with. :)

*cough* ASIAN TEAM MEMBER! WOOOO!!!

*cough*

I'll second that WOOO!!! :D I always love seeing more Asians on US TV. It's one reason I really enjoyed Dusty in Whispers.

RE: the actors ages. I'm a big BSG fan, and both Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck) and Kandyse McClure (Dee) were 24, and Nicki Clyne (Cally) was 21 when they started the show, but I think they all did a great job with their characters. Starbuck especially is my favorite on the show.

In Farscape, Claudia Black (Aeryn) and Raelee Hill (Sikozu) were 27, Gigi Edgley (Chiana) was 22 when they started, and they were probably my favorite characters.

So I don't think that casting actors in their 20's necessarily means that they're not going to be good. Of course the writing for the characters is going to be very important, but I've liked Brad Wright's work so far, so I'm still optimistic about enjoying Universe. :)

Ikaros
September 17th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Colonel Everett Young
40's handsome, capable, former SG team leader. Like the Jack O'Neill of ten years ago, but Young's edges have tended to sharpen over time. He requested permission to serve the remainder of his commission on Earth upon marrying his wife, Hailey, two years ago, but for now he's temporary commander of a secret off world base. The loss of two members of his team several years ago has taught him never to take anything for granted, and be prepared for anything. He stays on top of his team so they stay alive. .......'OK kids,space school starts at 6 every morning"....

Tamara Jon
20-25, all ethnicities (Asian Preferably). SGC Field medic, Captain grade. Off world experience. Beautiful, tough, smart, capable. Paramedic level training. Able to triage serious injury. Modest background. Dreamed of being a doctor but couldn't afford medical school and the Air Force was her best option. She ends up being the most medically inclined person on the ship but is overwhelmed by the lack of knowledge and experience treating seriously wounded and ill patients. She also lacks the medicine and supplies and has to make do....."I have no idea how but i will take that bullet out.. just wait untill i have a vission"

Chloe Carpenter
20ish. Stunning and sexy. Daughter of a U.S. Senator. Silver spoon upbringing and a little spoiled but not stupid either. Politically and socially savvy. Dreams of following in her father's footsteps but for now she's a bit of a party girl in her first year at an Ivy League school. Her father's tragic death and the dire circumstances of being trapped on a spaceship seriously tests her character.... "ohh my Goood, and they don't even have a spa ...."

Eli Hitchcock
20-25. Total slacker. Utter genius. Mathematics, computers, anything he puts his mind to. Acerbic sense of humor. A social outcast. Comes from a broken home. Lacks confidence because his true intelligence has never really been recognized like Matt Damon's character from Good Will Hunting with a little Jack Black thrown in sptv050769. ..."I will be Mcakay when i grow up.. i'll show you all"

Lt. Jared Nash
20-25. Junior SGC team member. Officer material but green and rough around the edges. Every teenage girl's fantasy. Like a college quarterback thrown into his first pro game, he is thrust into the role of leader well before he's ready for the responsibility and must learn to take command, earn respect through action, and manage the diverse personalities on the ship to keep everyone alive. Like Jason Bourne, he is skilled and well-trained however he is mentally unprepared for the urgency of the situation. ...."Ok .. what do i do now.. what do i do now?"

Ron "Psycho" Stasiak
20, all ethnicities. Marine. Big, strong, silent. You want him on your side. You don't want him mad at you. Lacks control over his temper in non combat situations. His past is a mystery but it's clear something dark formed the hard shell around him. Yet, there must also be some moral center because otherwise he'd kill everyone around him. Think Eric Bana's character "Hoot" in Blackhawk Down. ..
"Did you look at me? "

iolanda
September 17th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Ron "Psycho" Stasiak
20, all ethnicities. Marine. Big, strong, silent. You want him on your side. You don't want him mad at you. Lacks control over his temper in non combat situations. His past is a mystery but it's clear something dark formed the hard shell around him. Yet, there must also be some moral center because otherwise he'd kill everyone around him. Think Eric Bana's character "Hoot" in Blackhawk Down. ..
"Did you look at me? "

I'll be in my bunk!

Showfan
September 17th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Yes, good point. I hadn't thought of that.
:daniel:

MechaThor
September 17th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Personally I rather like these characters. Ok a few are rather young. But that won't matter if the actors are good and I enjoy the show. I am also hoping for some great supporting cast like new Zelenka's and Bill Lee's. A British Actor would be cool too.

I Like the sound of Ron "Psycho" Stasiak. However I think he should be older than 20. Maybe in his 30s and similar to Jayne from Firefly.

I also hope they pick up an Alien regular latter in the series. And by Alien I mean truly Alien. Something like Todd from Atlantis or Dargo from Farscape

Khentkawes
September 17th, 2008, 02:04 PM
RE: the actors ages. I'm a big BSG fan, and both Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck) and Kandyse McClure (Dee) were 24, and Nicki Clyne (Cally) was 21 when they started the show, but I think they all did a great job with their characters. Starbuck especially is my favorite on the show.

In Farscape, Claudia Black (Aeryn) and Raelee Hill (Sikozu) were 27, Gigi Edgley (Chiana) was 22 when they started, and they were probably my favorite characters.

So I don't think that casting actors in their 20's necessarily means that they're not going to be good. Of course the writing for the characters is going to be very important, but I've liked Brad Wright's work so far, so I'm still optimistic about enjoying Universe. :)

That's a good perspective. I was thinking that the BSG actresses were really young (but I don't watch the show, so I wouldn't know).

I think some of the concern is that the characters are supposed to be so young. It's pretty unrealistic, because they wouldn't have had much training/experience if they are military (especially since officers would probably have spent four years at the academy plus some time on assignments afterwards) and civilians have this little thing called "college." Contrary to popular belief, even really smart people do not get doctorate degrees at age 20, 21, 22, or 23.

But I agree that if they find an exceptional young actor, then the age won't bother me. For instance I think they got really lucky with Shanks on SG-1. If they find someone who is that good playing a well-written character, I won't have any grounds to complain.

Pitry
September 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM
For instance, has any episode in Atlantis ever referenced the fact that Sheppard is supposedly a mathematical genius?

The Brotherhood. :)

Pegasus_SGA
September 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Not to mention Rising... or was it the Siege? And McKay and Mrs Miller. ;)

Showfan
September 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM

Yes you're absolutely right. The math thing was was hinted at in a few other episodes too...Home for one and Rising. And Mensa was brought up at least one other time as well.

Shep's casting call character description seemed right on target. :)

:sheppard:

stevearm07
September 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM
HAHAHAHA.

This sounds pathetic. As expected.

Congrats TPTB, you've done it again. The lack of maturity of the production staff is unbelievable.

Elite Anubis Guard
September 17th, 2008, 02:17 PM
As always I'm open minded. A little concerned about all the youngests but the general bios don't sound that bad. Jon and Eli sound interesting and I'm hoping for some more pronounced shades of Grey with Everett. But Chloe...can't see the point in her...and these names are ridiculous. lol

Lexx
September 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM
And to be honest, I don't understand the people that say they will NOT watch the pilot. That makes no sense. I think the BSG spinoff, Caprica, looks stupid; but I'm still going to watch the Pilot episode because maybe I'm wrong. If you're a fan of one or both of the previous Stargate shows, refusing to give the next one a chance is a bit silly IMHO.

For me it's pretty simple. When I first watched SG-1, it was because I had seen the movie and I liked the concept. When SGA was announced I decided to give it a try because it sounded very interesting to me. With SGU, it doesn't sound interesting. It sounds, to be honest, ridiculous. I'm not watching Caprica either. BSG was described as a post-apocalyptic sci-fi series with the remnants of the human civilization trying to find a new home, on a mythical planet called "Earth". Caprica is described as a family drama that focuses on corporate intrigue and Montague vs. Capulet-esque family relationships. Not my kind of thing at all.

To me, it is more silly to sit down and watch something you have no interest in just because you liked something else the same people made.

Khentkawes

Sorry, don't remember what y'all are referring to... unless it was just an off-handed comment now and then? Or maybe you just have better memories than I do (that's likely).

But I stand by my original point. Not everything mentioned in the character descriptions will play a major part in the show... if it even makes it into the show at all.

Reiko
:P

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/_wwsd_/icons/stargate90210-1.gif
image by kaaatie (http://kaaatie.livejournal.com)

Detox
September 17th, 2008, 02:24 PM
*looks at casting list*

*vomits*

Linda06
September 17th, 2008, 02:26 PM
:P

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/_wwsd_/icons/stargate90210-1.gif
image by kaaatie (http://kaaatie.livejournal.com)

:lol: About sums it up!

Jackie
September 17th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Wha??? But... his first name has more than four letters! And it doesn't start with a "J"! Don't the writers realise they're destroying a decades-old Stargate tradition?! Jack and John would be ashamed, ashamed I tells you!

*runs*

Hmm...how about Hans?

Heck , Ghost Plumbers is a huge hit, yet I think the show is awful and is not worth watching at all. I'd rather burn my eyes out.

No, Brian...don't do thaaat! Just cover your eyes.

I tried but it was deleted when I first heard the concept.

I feel quite ill after reading that. :( One of the descriptions amused me, though.

One would hope she'd be medically inclined under the circumstances.

I don't want to look at what David Howe thinks is every teenage girl's fantasy. I want to look at Wraith. Maybe some teenage girls like to look at them too.

Hey, It's jennifer keller's kid sister!!!!

Simple...the gate is just a wall decoration. SGA proved it wasn't needed anymore.

BubblingOverWithIdeas
September 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM
A word to execs who want to bring in new audiences: don't bother if it's going to alienate the audience you already have.

The idea of a senator's daughter stuck on an intergalactic spaceship by accident at least seems funny. I hope her skill in social situations actually comes in useful more than once. The first two characters seem like the least could go wrong with them, and are identifiable, I hope the commander lives. I hope that Nash's actor actually lives up to the description eyecandy.

Showfan
September 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM

McKay and Mrs. Miller! I forgot about that one!!!! Great catch.

EvenstarSRV
September 17th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I think some of the concern is that the characters are supposed to be so young. It's pretty unrealistic, because they wouldn't have had much training/experience if they are military (especially since officers would probably have spent four years at the academy plus some time on assignments afterwards) and civilians have this little thing called "college." Contrary to popular belief, even really smart people do not get doctorate degrees at age 20, 21, 22, or 23.

Very true, though from what I read of the descriptions, I don't think any of the civilian characters are suppose to have doctorates. And aside from the Colonel the other military members seem to be Captain or lower. And I'm guessing their probably going to cast actors closer to 25 than 20, based on their previous castings.

The Everett character also sounds interesting, since it seems he'll be leaving his wife behind when they go to the Destiny. I hope they will address that aspect in the show, which I think they could have done more with in SG-1 and Atlantis.

Stormtrooper
September 17th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Most of Smallville's cast would be deemed too old for SGU as of right now. Scary :S And yeah, the 40-something character has red shirt written all over him. I'm also betting there will be only young hot alien babes in the new galaxy(ies) the team is bound to explore. I foresee profound stories dealing with hot topics such as unwanted pregnancies, STDs, alcohol and drug addiction on SGU. Now I'm inclined to watch the show just for the lols :D

Suggestion to TPTB: cast Supergirl as the spoiled kid and Boomer as the asian paramedic. Oh, nevermind, they are too old for the roles :rolleyes:

Pepermint Jaffa
September 17th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I don't know folks, but the SGU characters sound interesting to me. It sounds like the group they send to the Destiny in SGU didn't expect to be stranded there because it sounds like they are severely understaffed. In contrast, the SGA group expected that they might be stuck there for a long time and thus brought the personnel and supplies they needed. In SGU, the crew will be undermanned and undersupplied, and the main characters (except perhaps Colonel Young) will be required to perform duties they weren't ready for. Someone complained that this SGU group lacked experience...I think that's the whole point; they're thrown into something they're not ready for. There's still going to be action, off world missions, etc. It's not going to be 90210...lol.

Colonel Everett Young - left his wife behind; he sounds like a leader that rides the people under his command hard to keep them sharp and prepared.

Tamara Jon - a field medic that's got to pass off as a doctor. In other words, they don't have a real doctor, and even though she only has paramedic training, she's the best they have. And she has to make due with inadequate experience and supplies. This character sounds really interesting.

Chloe Carpenter - Spoiled, but also smart. Politically and socially savvy. It sounds like she was accompanying her father on this mission and he dies; and she must fill his shoes as the "diplomat" of the group. It sounds like "party girl" is just her back story, not what she'll be like in SGU after her father's death and being stuck on the Destiny. She sounds interesting too.

Eli Hitchcock -Ok, this one does sound a like a less hyper version of McKay. McKay was supposed to be a social outcast too, but he's really not. Eli sounds more nerdy.

Lt. Jared Nash - Someone that's physically capable of holding his own, but who's thrust into a leadership role before they're ready.

Ron "Psycho" Stasiak - How does this guy not sound interesting. And I thought Eric Bana's character in Blackhawk Down was awesome...he was a mission first, ask questions later, kind of guy. And finally...a marine!

Some of these characters sound more interesting than others, but the episodes themselves will provide more meat and back story for each character. I'm looking forward to it and will certainly give SGU a chance. TPTB have given us two good shows, and I think we're about to get a third.

Reiko
September 17th, 2008, 02:36 PM
A word to execs who want to bring in new audiences: don't bother if it's going to alienate the audience you already have.

*cough* AtlantisSeasonFour *cough*

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
So looks like everyone is taking the casting news very well. :S

Briangate78
September 17th, 2008, 02:40 PM
*cough* AtlantisSeasonFour *cough*

In all fairness, the SGA audience has increased since Season 3's dip. Which again is mind boggling to me why the show is being cancelled for SGU. :S

EvenstarSRV
September 17th, 2008, 02:40 PM
And yeah, the 40-something character has red shirt written all over him.

Somehow I highly doubt they're going to make the character played by their one 'star' actor a red shirt. :)

Pepermint Jaffa
September 17th, 2008, 02:42 PM
To me, it is more silly to sit down and watch something you have no interest in just because you liked something else the same people made.

Maybe if watching the Pilot required you to climb a mountain or do something really hard, but watching one episode takes almost no effort. If you liked other stuff people have made, it makes no sense to me why you wouldn't at least sample the new stuff. I guess reasonable minds are allowed to disagree. ;)

Reiko
September 17th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Of course, if you do not like it you can always snark at it. ;)