• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was the casting call for SGA:

http://www.filmjerk.com/news/article.php?id_new=350
    http://www.filmjerk.com/news/article.php?id_new=362

Spoiler:

# Major John Sheppard: A gifted military pilot, posted at McMurdoch Air Force Base because it’s the only place they will let him fly; Sheppard once defied a direct order and flew his helicopter to rescue two Rangers trapped behind enemy lines. Though people might see a good-ol’ boy exterior he is also a closet mathematical genius. He has a wry sense of humor and likes to pretend he’s not as smart as he really is. Most of the time a perfect gentlemen – who tries his best to be charming – when he’s pushed to fight he can be an absolute animal with single-minded purpose. He distrusts authority and always goes with his gut letting his strong sense of common sense morality lead his actions. The character is listed as being between 35 and 40 years old.

# Dr. Elizabeth Weir: Described as “attractive, brilliant, and the master of five languages,” this 35-year-old started out as a critic of government spending on the military. But she ultimately decided the best way to fight the establishment was to join it and change what she could from within by brokering peace and being a voice of reason to whoever would listen. She worked behind the scenes for the U.S. government as a high level international negotiator for years before being offered command of the Stargate Program by the new President. Now, she has been given the opportunity to lead an international team through the gate to a new galaxy on a grand mission to save all of humanity and she is not one to turn that challenge down.

Mikala: Beautiful and soulful, she is a native of post-apocalyptic alien world viewers will encounter in the initial episode and has lost most of her family to the Wraith. Despite her youth, she has become somewhat of a leader to her people. Initially seen as a love interest for Sheppard, she joins our team’s effort to defeat our common enemy in the Wraith and their budding romance becomes playful sexual tension as they focus on their mission. She proves herself early on to be a surprisingly scrappy fighter, a survivor under any circumstances and an invaluable source of knowledge about the people and worlds we will be visiting. The producers are looking for an actress of any ethnicity for the role, which is listed as being between 20 and 25 years old.

Lt. Aiden Ford: Described as “boyishly good-looking, with an ebullient sense of humor to match,” this 25-year-old is an officer who volunteers for the Atlantis mission. A good man in a tight spot, he accompanies Major Sheppard on a perilous rescue mission to the Wraith planet, where unspeakable terrors lurk. He keeps a cool head and his finger on the trigger when the Wraiths are closing in on the rescue party.

Dr. Benjamin Ingram: In his 40’s, Ingram is a brilliant African Canadian scientist who has done a heroic job of interfacing modern technology with those of the Ancients, and is in large part responsible for the new discoveries that have made the Atlantis mission possible. However, it bothers Ingram that he doesn't possess the rare gene that would allow him to physically interact with the Ancients' technology. He also accompanies Dr. Weir and Major Sheppard on their risky journey to another galaxy, where Atlantis now lies.

Colonel Marshall Sumner: A hardened officer with a buzz cut and a hair-trigger temper, 50-year-old Sumner is no-nonsense and autocratic, a man who is accustomed to having his orders followed without question. He is the military leader of the Atlantis expedition, but he is second-in-command to Dr. Weir. At times, he forgets who's in charge, but he is an inspired commander who is committed to the mission, however dangerous. Later, he refuses to give vital information to the Wraith Queen before meeting an untimely end. Producers are looking for star names for this role.
    The cake is a lie!

Comment

I like the sound of this! Its a pretty big regular cast. Its nice to have some diversity. And to any nay sayers, a similar description of Daniel Jackson would describe the kind of guys i used 2 whail on in highschool, but the actual actors presentation is one of my favorite sg characters. I know its hip to whine about everything on the internet, but this show is gonna turn out fine.

Comment

Okay, maybe I'm being too harsh and judgemental like all those others out there in the forums, but I have to say that my faith in SGU is rattled.
        Jack: Good morning campers!

The Answer To 1984 Is 1776!

Comment

Originally posted by Showfan View Post
          Yes. Shanks was 28, Chris Judge 33 and Amanda Tapping 32.

What I don't like is the spin at the beginning of this segment on Gateworld which asks fans to remember...

That's not accurate by any means.
          It is not accurate. I also did more research. Even Rainbow Sun Francks was at least 25 yo when SGA started.

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
          To be fair, the casts of both SG-1 and Atlantis probably sounded just as "cliché" from their casting sides.
          True, but this is really different than past Stargate casts. SG-1 and SGA just had a winning cast. I still will give them a try but I have never had doubts like this before for any Stargate product.

Originally posted by iolanda View Post
          This cast sounds just wrong and ages too young. Ford didn't work out. Now they have 5 of them...
          Yeah, good point. All of them are in their mid to lower 20's except one person who is in their 40's.
          sigpic

Comment

I can only hope that this is fake. If Brad and Rob really think that this is what a younger audience wants then they don't know what they're doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Xylian View Post
              ... that my expectations for SGU have dropped. Upon reading the characters that will be in Universe, I must say that my hopes for this show have just gone the way of the dodo. All the characters are so cliched, and the Chloe Carpenter character almost made me throw up. "20ish. Stunning and sexy. Daughter of a U.S. Senator. Silver spoon upbringing and a little spoiled but not stupid either...." need I go on? I initially believed that Brad Wright or anyone else heading SGU weren't going to make into some sappy teen drama thing, but now I'm really pissed. I really hope this is only a rumor or someone messing with us, because I seriously can't see SGU being more than Stargate: 90210 now.
              Well thats tough luck because were gonna FORCE you to watch it. Seriously, some guys in suits are coming to you right now and theyre gonna tape ur eyes open. They were gonna let u get away with not watching ti b4 but now uve riled them up.

:-p

Comment

Spoiler:

# Major John Sheppard: A gifted military pilot, posted at McMurdoch Air Force Base because it’s the only place they will let him fly; Sheppard once defied a direct order and flew his helicopter to rescue two Rangers trapped behind enemy lines. Though people might see a good-ol’ boy exterior he is also a closet mathematical genius. He has a wry sense of humor and likes to pretend he’s not as smart as he really is. Most of the time a perfect gentlemen – who tries his best to be charming – when he’s pushed to fight he can be an absolute animal with single-minded purpose. He distrusts authority and always goes with his gut letting his strong sense of common sense morality lead his actions. The character is listed as being between 35 and 40 years old.

# Dr. Elizabeth Weir: Described as “attractive, brilliant, and the master of five languages,” this 35-year-old started out as a critic of government spending on the military. But she ultimately decided the best way to fight the establishment was to join it and change what she could from within by brokering peace and being a voice of reason to whoever would listen. She worked behind the scenes for the U.S. government as a high level international negotiator for years before being offered command of the Stargate Program by the new President. Now, she has been given the opportunity to lead an international team through the gate to a new galaxy on a grand mission to save all of humanity and she is not one to turn that challenge down.

Mikala: Beautiful and soulful, she is a native of post-apocalyptic alien world viewers will encounter in the initial episode and has lost most of her family to the Wraith. Despite her youth, she has become somewhat of a leader to her people. Initially seen as a love interest for Sheppard, she joins our team’s effort to defeat our common enemy in the Wraith and their budding romance becomes playful sexual tension as they focus on their mission. She proves herself early on to be a surprisingly scrappy fighter, a survivor under any circumstances and an invaluable source of knowledge about the people and worlds we will be visiting. The producers are looking for an actress of any ethnicity for the role, which is listed as being between 20 and 25 years old.

Lt. Aiden Ford: Described as “boyishly good-looking, with an ebullient sense of humor to match,” this 25-year-old is an officer who volunteers for the Atlantis mission. A good man in a tight spot, he accompanies Major Sheppard on a perilous rescue mission to the Wraith planet, where unspeakable terrors lurk. He keeps a cool head and his finger on the trigger when the Wraiths are closing in on the rescue party.

Dr. Benjamin Ingram: In his 40’s, Ingram is a brilliant African Canadian scientist who has done a heroic job of interfacing modern technology with those of the Ancients, and is in large part responsible for the new discoveries that have made the Atlantis mission possible. However, it bothers Ingram that he doesn't possess the rare gene that would allow him to physically interact with the Ancients' technology. He also accompanies Dr. Weir and Major Sheppard on their risky journey to another galaxy, where Atlantis now lies.

Colonel Marshall Sumner: A hardened officer with a buzz cut and a hair-trigger temper, 50-year-old Sumner is no-nonsense and autocratic, a man who is accustomed to having his orders followed without question. He is the military leader of the Atlantis expedition, but he is second-in-command to Dr. Weir. At times, he forgets who's in charge, but he is an inspired commander who is committed to the mission, however dangerous. Later, he refuses to give vital information to the Wraith Queen before meeting an untimely end. Producers are looking for star names for this role.
                Thanks for this.

I'm not the best judge of these things and yes, there are still some cliches, but nothing at all like the terrifying casting call for Universe. These characters seem more well rounded, more developed from the start.

Oh, and, the descriptions stayed true to form for the most part show-wise. If Universe does that, well, it's going to suck...IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Showfan View Post
                  Yes. Shanks was 28, Chris Judge 33 and Amanda Tapping 32.

What I don't like is the spin at the beginning of this segment on Gateworld which asks fans to remember...

That's not accurate by any means.
                  Someone needs to do the proper math. Plus why is it being, er, shoved in our faces that the actors were younger? SGU is no doubt going to skew in the early 20s.

Meanwhile, the originator of this casting information is http://www.morrischapdelaine.com/, which is run by someone IN the industry, and which spoilertv, etc. didn't credit.

While casting information is always subject to change, what is posted certainly is NOT enticing. I mean, a character nicknamed 'psycho' who can't control himself? How the hell did that guy get into the sGC in the first place? EDIT. He's a Marine? I dare say the studio won't be getting any freebies from the US Marines if that's the way they want to portray one.

Eli Hitchcock
                  20-25. Total slacker. Utter genius. Mathematics, computers, anything he puts his mind to. Acerbic sense of humor. A social outcast.

A genius who's a social outcast? Uh, didn't we have Rodney McKay? And at least he wasn't a slacker.

Chloe Carpenter
                  20ish. Stunning and sexy. Daughter of a U.S. Senator. Silver spoon upbringing and a little spoiled but not stupid either

90210 here we come. Should have named her tiffany

Sorry, but can't get remotely excited - just a bit disgusted - at losing SGA to this dreck.
                  Last edited by prion; 17 September 2008, 08:23 AM.

Comment

If they by some slim miracle are going to try and pull this off they're gonna need some really strong actors.
                    sigpic

Comment

http://www.filmjerk.com/news/article.php?id_new=350

Spoiler:

Funny how the only boyish person or young person was yanked after one season to be replaced with a more older rugged looking character.

Talk about Irony.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                        I can only hope that this is fake. If Brad and Rob really think that this is what a younger audience wants then they don't know what they're doing.
                        Yeah I am just as confuzzled as you are.

Originally posted by prion View Post
                        Someone needs to do the proper math. Plus why is it being, er, shoved in our faces that the actors were younger? SGU is no doubt going to skew in the early 20s.

Meanwhile, the originator of this casting information is http://www.morrischapdelaine.com/, which is run by someone IN the industry, and which spoilertv, etc. didn't credit.

While casting information is always subject to change, what is posted certainly is NOT enticing. I mean, a character nicknamed 'psycho' who can't control himself? How the hell did that guy get into the sGC in the first place? Wait, they'll probably pick him up foolishly along the way.

Eli Hitchcock
                        20-25. Total slacker. Utter genius. Mathematics, computers, anything he puts his mind to. Acerbic sense of humor. A social outcast.

A genius who's a social outcast? Uh, didn't we have Rodney McKay? And at least he wasn't a slacker.

Chloe Carpenter
                        20ish. Stunning and sexy. Daughter of a U.S. Senator. Silver spoon upbringing and a little spoiled but not stupid either

90210 here we come. Should have named her tiffany

Sorry, but can't get remotely excited - just a bit disgusted - at losing SGA to this dreck.
                        I really want to give SGU a chance, but this casting really just adds more doubts to me. I mean it's ok if one or two characters are younger, but you need that 30 year and 40 year old characters to establish a maturity base. Why do you think SGA and SG-1 worked so well? You have people in their 20's 30's and 40's. It has a wide range for a wide audience.

It makes me laugh since SGA is increasing in young age demos. I swear SCI FI and MGM are really taking a risk with this.
                        sigpic

Comment

When I saw the meet the team link, I was hoping for pictures! That said... I don't know quite what to think of them. I hope they change the colonels name, and the nickname "psycho" for the Marine is somewhat unnerving. I would also like to know why these particular people were sent on this mission, otherwise, I'm afraid they decided on some of the cast because it sounds sexy or whatever.
                          sigpic

Comment

Lol. Looks like those Young! SG-1 jokes weren't so far off after all. If BW and RCC were going to use "200" as a template for SGU, I would have preferred Teal'c PI.

Comment

Originally posted by gange57 View Post
                              Lol. Looks like those Young! SG-1 jokes weren't so far off after all. If BW and RCC were going to use "200" as a template for SGU, I would have preferred Teal'c PI.
                              LOL.......Indeed.
                              sigpic

Comment

You know when I read this I laughed so loud my husband came upstairs to see what I was doing.

Every teenage girls fantasy...that is just such a wonderful description. As the mother of a teenage girl whose fantasy man of the moment seems to be Slash from Gun's n Roses I thought it was hysterical.

Honestly, I really do hope this is a joke. I love Stargate and I don't want SG1 or Atlantis tainted by utter crap like this. Imagine owning up to the fact that you are a Stargate fan to someone who had only seen an episode of Crapiverse. Actually thinking about it this must be wrong, tptb couldn't possibly be that out of touch...could they?
                                sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Working...
                                X