This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ageism?

Looking through alot of the threads in this part of the boards I've noticed alot of people making comments about SGU being lame and sucking because TPTB have opted for a younger cast. Now I may be wrong but does this not count as ageism? People are descriminating against the show because the actors/characters will be of a younger age, this does not mean they won't bring emotion, experience, intelligence to the show, that you won't be able to connect with the characters because of their age. I personally look forward to it, much as I love stargate for me the formula was getting stale, Atlantis was basically following the same path as SG-1, it was time to shake things up, add something new to the franchise, a younger cast may be one factor that'll assist this.

I don't think "discrimination" in the sense you mean it applies to what kind of TV shows someone likes.

I think that age is an important factor. In Science Fiction, when they intentionally cast young and inexperienced, the character inevitably becomes a whiny emotional mess. Maybe they'll get it right with Universe, but the character descriptions we have make them sound like teenagers in emotional turmoil, not more mature, grown up 20-somethings.

Hopefully these characteristics don't show up in the actual show.

Comment

Young actors are often quite startlingly good, and there's no reason why the SGU cast can't be excellent.

I suspect that people's worries are not just about the youth, skills or (in)experience of the cast, but about the fact that the parts usually written for young people, even on good shows, tend to be adolescent angst types of roles.

(I'm thinking for instance of Veronica Mars, which is acted superbly, and written really well, but has less interest for me than it would have fifteen years ago; because all the turmoil and stuff that the central characters are going through, I'm way past.)

Madeleine

Comment

NKDietrich- I'm talking about the comments made on this forum, when people say the show is going to suck simply because there's a younger cast that is ageism, a form of descrimination. Now if you don't like the character descriptions, fair enough, but some people have instantly began bad mouthing the show because the the majority of the cast are in there 20's.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
          some people have instantly began bad mouthing the show because the the majority of the cast are in there 20's.
          We don't know who the cast are yet.

People's 'badmouthing' is so far based entirely on the ages and character-descriptions of the *characters*, not the cast.

To be fair, the characters are a large part of what makes a show what it is, and so it does seem one of the less unreasonable things to get worked up over, in the grand scheme of things

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post

People's 'badmouthing' is so far based entirely on the ages and character-descriptions of the *characters*, not the cast.

To be fair, the characters are a large part of what makes a show what it is, and so it does seem one of the less unreasonable things to get worked up over, in the grand scheme of things
            I meant characters .

I have no problem with people getting 'worked up' over the character descriptions, I'm solely taking about the people who have made up their minds that the show will suck because of a younger cast. It's basically like saying, all 20 year olds are immature, therefore these characters will be, again I'm not directing this at the people who don't like the character descriptions but the people who are basing their negativity solely on the age factor.
            Last edited by kirmit; 19 September 2008, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post

Exactly. If the descriptions hadn't read so much like a list of "those people you didn't really like in high school", there wouldn't be so much worry. It isn't so much their age. In fact I think 20-25 year olds can be plenty mature. I am only 25 myself. I worry that they are making 20-25 year olds who act like 15-19 year olds.

Comment

Originally posted by NKDietrich View Post
                Exactly. If the descriptions hadn't read so much like a list of "those people you didn't really like in high school", there wouldn't be so much worry. It isn't so much their age. In fact I think 20-25 year olds can be plenty mature. I am only 25 myself. I worry that they are making 20-25 year olds who act like 15-19 year olds.
                This was happening even before the character descriptions came out though, people had already condemned the show because of the age of the characters, the character descriptions have only given those people more reason. I'm not aiming this at the people who aren't happy with the immaturity of the character descriptions, I myself aren't 100% happy with them, I was just addressing the problem of people making the ages a factor even before they knew what the characters would be like.

Comment

I was just addressing the problem of people making the ages a factor even before they knew what the characters would be like.
                  I think part of that was the fact that the information they released prior to this indicated they were trying to target a younger audience and everyone imagined that one scene from "200".

Comment

Originally posted by NKDietrich View Post
                    Indeed.... I'm 23 and these characters sound just..... diabolically awful. To be perfectly honest I find the fact that TPTB think that I ( a Bachelors of Science with Honours) would appreciate and relate to these jock/ socially inept genius/ spoiled rich b**** socialite cookie cutter characters utterly insulting!
                    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Im 19, the char. sound terrible. Does that make me ageist against my self?

Comment

I'm just gonna wait and see what the character's are like in the pilot to form my opinion.
                        You can't really know until it's aired.
                        Last edited by Rise Of The Phoenix; 21 September 2008, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Looking through alot of the threads in this part of the boards I've noticed alot of people making comments about SGU being lame and sucking because TPTB have opted for a younger cast. Now I may be wrong but does this not count as ageism?
                          No, not in the least. People are not criticizing some non existing people of a certain age, they are criticizing the people (of varying ages) who have CHOSEN that group. Very different.

Of course those older and more experienced know that US TV is only for the money, and know the way it moves - this new layout is to get rid of older fans in the hope of snagging younger and more eager buyers.

I personally look forward to it,
                          How old are you?

... much as I love stargate for me the formula was getting stale, Atlantis was basically following the same path as SG-1, it was time to shake things up, add something new to the franchise, a younger cast may be one factor that'll assist this.
                          I entirely doubt it - what would be required would be to get rid of all the old producers and writers and directors and hire new ones. Some for whom its not just a meal ticket, someone who won't accept improvisation on stage, someone who actually tells the actors what to do instead of proudly admit on DVD's "I didn't have to do a thing!"

Of course not gonna happen, because there is money in a younger audience - they haven't see as much as the old farts and are easily impressed ;-)

Comment

I'm only 15, and I've never ever had a problem that SG-1 and SGA has an "older" cast. In fact, I think it's important to have characters who have a longer, more formed back story. Jack O'Neill is the perfect example. Through Sara, Charlie, Colonel Frank Cromwell, and others, we got a nice background that really brought out the depth of the character.

Even though it's obvious that most of the characters' developement will actually be done during the series, I still think that it's nice to have something to work off of, and I'm not talking about the spoiled party girl senator's daughter.
                            sigpic
                            The Return of King Arthur
                            Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
                            acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Looking through alot of the threads in this part of the boards I've noticed alot of people making comments about SGU being lame and sucking because TPTB have opted for a younger cast. Now I may be wrong but does this not count as ageism? People are descriminating against the show because the actors/characters will be of a younger age, this does not mean they won't bring emotion, experience, intelligence to the show, that you won't be able to connect with the characters because of their age. I personally look forward to it, much as I love stargate for me the formula was getting stale, Atlantis was basically following the same path as SG-1, it was time to shake things up, add something new to the franchise, a younger cast may be one factor that'll assist this.
                              who said nobody likes younger actors? 90210 gets more viewers than Stargate...

Comment

Working...
                              X