PDA

View Full Version : New writers for SGU thread

Stormtrooper
September 19th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Since there's already a 'Universe casting ideas' topic, and considering Stargate as a whole desperately needs some shred of creativity, I decided to start this thread, so you can post which new writers you'd like to see working for SGU.

Anyone who wrote for The 4400 or BSG would be great for me, assuming they are still available, that is. I also think TPTB should hire some female writers to flesh out SGU's female characters.

Out with the old and in with the new! :)

Jeff O'Connor
September 19th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Jane Espenson, Mark Verheiden, David Kemper (he wrote 'There But For The Grace Of God', though) and Ron D. Moore himself.

I realize RDM would be damn near impossible.

Naonak
September 19th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Jane Espenson
I'd be for that. Aside from The Hub, I haven't really been a fan of her BSG stuff, but she wrote some of my favourite episodes of Buffy... Guess you can only work with what you're given. :p

Jeff O'Connor
September 19th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I'd be for that. Aside from The Hub, I haven't really been a fan of her BSG stuff, but she wrote some of my favourite episodes of Buffy... Guess you can only work with what you're given. :p

I've thought her BSG stuff has been decent, but 'The Hub' is definitely, definitely her strongest piece.

Wolf O'Donnell
September 19th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Joss Whedon

lindagagne
September 19th, 2008, 09:42 AM
It doesn't matter who writes this show. I won't watch it. That is what the franchise is expecting from everyone, but if you are upset Atlantis was canceled you should not watch to send a message.

Stormtrooper
September 19th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Of course it does. Talented writers are the difference between SGA and a good show.

Now, back on topic, please :)

EvilSokar
September 19th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I know it's only plain wishful thinking...but Joss Whedon would be SO cool.

Moao
September 19th, 2008, 11:14 AM
How about RTD, if he is not too busy with Dr. Who and its spin offs

jenks
September 19th, 2008, 11:46 AM
It doesn't matter who writes this show. I won't watch it. That is what the franchise is expecting from everyone, but if you are upset Atlantis was canceled you should not watch to send a message.

That's the equivalent of a baby spitting out his dummy, I can't believe anyone would actually admit to it.

Blistna
September 19th, 2008, 12:00 PM

.....so get another stargate show cancelled? Great message! Oh, hehe, SGU will have enough viewers even without the few who wont watch it. So go ahead...miss a great show.

Joss Wheadon would be great, or anyone who had to write Angel/Buffy. But thats all I can think of...

ferrari20092
September 19th, 2008, 02:53 PM
And what message is that, end the stargate franchise, stop making movies, and let stargate die.. wooo Great message you are sending there.
Wow all these people who think they know how bad the show is going to be before it even airs, they've written scrips or actors have been chosen.

Bobby
September 19th, 2008, 04:45 PM
George Lucas would be good if they could get him! :P

Jeff O'Connor
September 19th, 2008, 04:47 PM
George Lucas would be good if they could get him! :P

Ack! Not for me!

TheHomegaMan
September 19th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Espenson would be amazing. The Hub is one of the episodes I find myself rewatching over and over.

RDM is too serious and mature for most things Stargate, and would thus not go anywhere near SGU.

Naonak, your sig is now one of the greatest on Gateworld. DS9 is horribly underrated, and easily laid the groundwork for the greatness that is the reimagined BSG.

I like to have a line between every second sentence.

Jeff O'Connor
September 19th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Naonak, your sig is now one of the greatest on Gateworld. DS9 is horribly underrated, and easily laid the groundwork for the greatness that is the reimagined BSG.

I like to have a line between every second sentence.

Amen!

ShadowMaat
September 19th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Nah, you don't want Big Name Writers because you wind up paying for their egos. :P The trick is to catch the up-and-comers, the ones who will BECOME Big Name Writers- on SGU, if you're lucky. Don't go for Joss and Kripke and RDM and that lot... but certainly pick from their teams. And give a slot or two to some untested writers (or at least some who aren't on Big Name Shows) and see if they can prove themselves.

TheHomegaMan
September 19th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I humbly nominate Michael Taylor. Want to shake things up a bit? How about the man who penned DS9's "In the Pale Moonlight"?

Arctic Goddess
September 19th, 2008, 11:18 PM
There are lots of great writers of SCi-fi. Ignoring the show after it's been designed and cast is not going to be helpful. If you hate the way it's being designed, now is the time to speak up. When the show has been aired, the people in power will defend their decisions like they did with Star Gate and Atlantis. If you want the show retooled, now is the time to speak up. Heck, write a letter to Brad Wright and Robert Cooper at Bridge studios to protest. Written letters carry much more weight than any other communication medium because they take more effort.

Write to:

Mr. Brad Wright, Executive Producer
Mr. Robert Cooper, Executive Producer
STARGATE SG:1
c/o THE BRIDGE STUDIOS
2400 BOUNDARY ROAD
BURNABY, BC
V5M 3Z3

If you insist on email, use: [email protected]

g.o.d
September 20th, 2008, 01:26 AM
same writers, same crap

Naonak
September 20th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Hehe, thanks. :)

Though I'd argue that BSG hasn't lived up to Deep Space Nine. :p

alta
September 20th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I think they should get some women writers, or get some new male writers who are good at writing for women.

ShadowMaat
September 20th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I think they should get some women writers, or get some new male writers who are good at writing for women.
If you're gonna get women writers make sure they're good at writing women, too. ;) It isn't a guarantee, unfortunately.

thekillman
September 20th, 2008, 09:40 AM
well i say half half: two already present stargate writers, and two new ones

ShadowMaat
September 20th, 2008, 10:04 AM
well i say half half: two already present stargate writers, and two new ones

I think the writing staff is a bit bigger than four. ;) If they need a crossover writer I say go with Martin Gero. He'll probably transfer his McKay fixation onto Eli, but as long as the others keep him in check it might all work out. lol

Under absolutely no circumstances should Joe Mallozzi be allowed anywhere near SGU, though.

thekillman
September 20th, 2008, 10:10 AM
why not?

Stormtrooper
September 20th, 2008, 10:21 AM
why not?

Because everything he touches suffers a horrible death......

jelgate
September 20th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I love these conspiracy theories:P

ShadowMaat
September 20th, 2008, 11:05 AM
why not?

Personally I think he poisons everything he touches and I find his sense of humor appallingly lowball. With him on board the show would, I think, be full of exactly the kind of crap that some fans are fearing. I'm also tired of the way he treats fans who don't lick his bootheels and/or who voice their honest concerns about the show(s). But then again we apparently have a history of animosity, so whatever.

I just shudder to think of the man who was responsible for the likes of The Tower and Irresponsible (and who thinks Lucius in general is funny) being at the helm of a series that could, in the wrong hands, cater to vulgarity, stupidity, and asinine humor. *shrug* I prefer humor that requires a few IQ points to understand (and that doesn't degrade the characters involved), I detest characters who are interested solely/mostly in sex (particularly when it's the women throwing themselves at the men or the men drooling over the women) and as a general rule I hate stories that insult the characters. Or the fans, for that matter. Laugh WITH, not AT, and I'm still a firm believer that if you have to lobotomize your characters in order to accomplish a plot then there's something wrong with the plot. Alas, Joe isn't the only one guilty of that. :rolleyes:

JohnDuh
September 21st, 2008, 03:08 PM
And what message is that, end the stargate franchise, stop making movies, and let stargate die.. wooo Great message you are sending there.
Wow all these people who think they know how bad the show is going to be before it even airs, they've written scrips or actors have been chosen.

We've seen that they can do.

JohnDuh
September 21st, 2008, 03:12 PM
Nah, you don't want Big Name Writers because you wind up paying for their egos. :P

Unlike now ;-)

AutumnDream
September 21st, 2008, 07:02 PM
Jane Espenson, Mark Verheiden, David Kemper (he wrote 'There But For The Grace Of God', though) and Ron D. Moore himself.

I realize RDM would be damn near impossible.

Good calls. Verheiden is certainly better than anyone currently working on the franchise, but Espenson and Moore are probably too famous to work on a show of this caliber.

Skydiver
September 21st, 2008, 07:09 PM
universe not only needs some fresh writing blood, the producers need to listen to said fresh blood and let them bring a different POV to things

you can put lipstick on a tired old show with a new cast and new set, it's still gonna be a tired old porker at the end of the day iwth the same people behind the wheel

prion
September 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
I seriously doubt that will happen. They want to stay employed. MGM might go 'oh, they've done well so far, we'll keep them' and prevent the inclusion of new blood, which the franchise desperately needs, but, I'm sure they can get some out of work sitcoms writers on the cheap, considering the character descriptions so far *cough*

ShadowMaat
September 22nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
I had the misfortune of watching part of the first ep of Spaceballs the animated series. I think Joe M would be right at home writing for it. ;)

Gaeth
September 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
No one involved with BSG, that's not a value judgment, I just don't want SGU to be a ripoff. Heather Ash would be a good choice, and the people who wrote for Odyssey Five. Even though it's not Scifi some of the writers for the Shield. People who wrote for 4400 would certainly be on my list. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, even though comedic, could be very clever at times so I'd add some of its writers. If I could resurrect H.P Lovecraft I'd put him on the list too. That reminds me, maybe some of the people who write for the Pathfinder modules would be good too. Also Dexter, and Blade the series.