X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joseph Mallozzi On Current Overall Fan Reaction To Casting Sheet

Come on. Where else?

As for our involvement in SGU - still too early to say anything specific regarding our participation in the spin-off, but I’m sure we’ll all be contributing in some capacity.

Speaking of SGU, I notice that much of the reaction to the character breakdowns has been negative. While I respect everyone’s right to express their opinions, I’d suggest holding off on making a final decision on the show until you’ve actually seen it. Last week, Brad pitched us the series and its first five episodes and, I have to say, it’s a far cry from the shallow confection many fans are imagining. In fact, in many ways, it’s a much more cerebral and mature addition to the franchise. While firmly entrenched in pre-established Stargate mythology, Stargate Universe definitely strikes out in an exciting new direction. It’s a series that will delight veteran fans, but also appeal to newcomers who may not necessarily know the difference between an Alteran and an Asuran. In spite of what the indicators may suggest, this will definitely not be a Voyager 90210. The assortment of characters that make up the character breakdown are certainly an atypical collection of heroes, far-removed from the skilled likes of Jack O’Neill, Samantha Carter, John Sheppard, and Rodney McKay - but there’s a damn good reason for that. Can’t say more but suffice it to say I have a feeling this show will pleasantly surprise a lot of people.
    I was one of what surely must have been more than one person who left a rundown on the overall reaction for him, so I'm glad he addressed it head-on. While I would certainly have issues with the word 'atypical' -- that it may be, but when atypical means a casting sheet sounds tremendously stereotypical, there are conflicts of interest at hand -- other than that, I do appreciate his words.

While there are certainly a lot of Mallozzi loathers in circulation who could cite this only as further evidence to hold no stock whatsoever in the upcoming series, I'm not one of them. I do value Joe's statements and this gives me a much-needed breath of fresh air.

At the end of everything, it's still a 'wait and see' philosophy, but hey. It's the thought that counts.
    If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

It's good to hear him say that I guess, but it doesn't really mean much. I don't really have any dislike for the guy, but if its one thing I've learned over the years its that often times these guys cant see the forest through the trees.

What looks and sounds good to them does not always translate to the actual viewers. What person making a show is going to say "Yeah, this show is pretty lame and immature." They ALL think their own show is going to be great, even when nobody ends up tuning in to watch.

I'm trying to remain hopeful, and I'll probably end up watching regardless, since even if its complete crap it'll be better than most of what is on TV, but nothing they've said thus far has really reassured me that much.

Comment

I for one can't wait for SGU and most people are bashing it cause we've had both our Stargate series cancelled in a years time (give or take) so there is bound to be some animosity.

Comment

NKDietrich, I know exactly how you feel. I was on a roll, even, with my anger issues when I first read the cast sheet. I prefaced a few of those posts with the undeniable, though -- I'd need time to calm down and see things more level-headedly, and then I'd be more hopeful again.

Of course, everyone is going to say that their project or an associate's project sounds terrific. Joe is no stranger to this theory, but he's also its roommate; I've seen him and the rest of TPTB brag about grand, sweeping new stories before, sure. Even when the majority of fans end up thinking the lesser for it all in the end sometimes. Still, the shear force in which he states his case this time is a bit more than usual, and while that certainly be attributed to the fact that the franchise as a whole rests on this show to some pretty crucial extent, it's also evident that he took the time to address some specific concerns there instead of just saying 'this is going to be the best project evar!!!11'.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Stargate Universe. I have been since day one, and that plummeted to downright pessimistic for a while yesterday. Kind, somewhat-assuring words from Mallozzi, however, even if they are just kind words from TPTB about an upcoming project, are a tad alleviating, though. It's nice that he has such faith that the veterans will approve. And yes, I'm aware that he seemed to think the same of Jennifer Keller and so on, and a lot of people are never going to warm up to her. Still, Jennifer Keller, no matter what you label her, isn't as bad as some of the characters from the casting call sound. Hopefully, they won't be as bad as they sound, either.
        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by suqata View Post
          I for one can't wait for SGU and most people are bashing it cause we've had both our Stargate series cancelled in a years time (give or take) so there is bound to be some animosity.
          I'd still think it sounds dreadful even if SGA hadn't been cancelled.
          sigpic

Comment

I personally don't put much stock in Joe not that I think he is a bad person or even that I think he is trying to mislead people. I think he honestly believes what he says. But my prospective as a fan is very different than his prospective as a producer/writer. And more often than not we end up seeing things very differently. I will give SGU a chance I want to see how the show rolls out, but Joe's words do nothing to make me more interested or more scared they simply are.
            "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Originally posted by Night Marshal View Post
              I personally don't put much stock in Joe not that I think he is a bad person or even that I think he is trying to mislead people. I think he honestly believes what he says. But my prospective as a fan is very different than his prospective as a producer/writer. And more often than not we end up seeing things very differently. I will give SGU a chance I want to see how the show rolls out, but Joe's words do nothing to make me more interested or more scared they simply are.
              Fair enough. I knew a lot of people would feel that way as well, and would remain relatively indifferent after reading the passage. In certain aspects, I can empathize with both the positive and negative extremes, and the straight-down-the-middle lack of reaction. I've been around long enough to know where everyone is coming from, even when I certainly disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor View Post

Come on. Where else?

I was one of what surely must have been more than one person who left a rundown on the overall reaction for him, so I'm glad he addressed it head-on. While I would certainly have issues with the word 'atypical' -- that it may be, but when atypical means a casting sheet sounds tremendously stereotypical, there are conflicts of interest at hand -- other than that, I do appreciate his words.

While there are certainly a lot of Mallozzi loathers in circulation who could cite this only as further evidence to hold no stock whatsoever in the upcoming series, I'm not one of them. I do value Joe's statements and this gives me a much-needed breath of fresh air.

At the end of everything, it's still a 'wait and see' philosophy, but hey. It's the thought that counts.
                Quite honestly, mallozzi isn't going to stump for a show that's basically dead now (SGA) but he will push for SGU. This is a pattern that's been happening since SG1 spun off to SGA. It's great, fresh, edgy, etc. And it's not just JM, it's the production/PR people who will push this spin that SG fans will watch it because it's Stargate. that's what they're counting on. blind loyalty.

Oh wait, yes, the 'fresh' word has been used! Let the spin begin! (sorry, went through enough of it when we had 'fresh fresh' when they introduced Jonas as the wunderkind new character in SG1).

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor View Post

Come on. Where else?
                  Indeed. The moment i saw the subject of your thread, I guess what his comment would be. I guess that makes it "predictable" - much like the show ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                    Quite honestly, mallozzi isn't going to stump for a show that's basically dead now (SGA) but he will push for SGU. This is a pattern that's been happening since SG1 spun off to SGA. It's great, fresh, edgy, etc. And it's not just JM, it's the production/PR people who will push this spin that SG fans will watch it because it's Stargate. that's what they're counting on. blind loyalty.

Oh wait, yes, the 'fresh' word has been used! Let the spin begin! (sorry, went through enough of it when we had 'fresh fresh' when they introduced Jonas as the wunderkind new character in SG1).
                    I wasn't around when Jonas was introduced, nor had I begin watching the series until the last episode of the sixth season for that matter. But I've seen it since SGA was brought up, so I know what you mean.

Comment

I'll hold off until I see it but I'm not expecting the franchise to last much longer with the current people at the helm..

Comment

I've had no problem really with what JM has said and pretty much agree with what's written.

I mean all this judging and negative reaction over the concept and casting call? Not picking on anyone here but at times it seems to me that some people will just have a negative reaction to the show regardless of whats written as their minds have been made up already.

I think a more proper way to judge a show is to actually see it when its run and then decide. I mean it could turn out completely different then whats written on paper and who knows, people might like it or the characters that are written down. Its coming across mostly that people are judging a book by its cover... not saying that people should love it if it turns out to be actually terrible but rather I'm saying that I think one should go in open minded rathern then get the torches and pitchforks out now.

But as I said before, thats my opinion so...

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori View Post
                          I've had no problem really with what JM has said and pretty much agree with what's written.

I mean all this judging and negative reaction over the concept and casting call? Not picking on anyone here but at times it seems to me that some people will just have a negative reaction to the show regardless of whats written as their minds have been made up already.

I think a more proper way to judge a show is to actually see it when its run and then decide. I mean it could turn out completely different then whats written on paper and who knows, people might like it or the characters that are written down. Its coming across mostly that people are judging a book by its cover... not saying that people should love it if it turns out to be actually terrible but rather I'm saying that I think one should go in open minded rathern then get the torches and pitchforks out now.

But as I said before, thats my opinion so...
                          I agree. I never thought that Universe would be a Voyager 90210 ever. These are the same people that brought us 2 wonderful series already, I hardly think it will be anything like that.

I'm giving the show a chance, and the casting call doesn't bother me. Look at how they cast "Rodney," that character was never even in the original casting call.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori View Post
                            I mean it could turn out completely different then whats written on paper and who knows, people might like it or the characters that are written down. Its coming across mostly that people are judging a book by its cover...
                            Hopefully they'll change their minds about making most the characters so young. There just seem to be endless TV shows and movies about people around 20. Only the other evening my husband found a really bad sci-fi movie about some young recruits having to save the world.

I think what's putting a lot of people off is that it's intended to be a space opera to replace BSG which has been described as the 'jewel'. I did a bit of research for the ages of cast members in BSG and the result is here -

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=2807
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cheystar View Post
                              I agree. I never thought that Universe would be a Voyager 90210 ever. These are the same people that brought us 2 wonderful series already, I hardly think it will be anything like that.

I'm giving the show a chance, and the casting call doesn't bother me. Look at how they cast "Rodney," that character was never even in the original casting call.
                              Well who knows what the future holds. Perhaps people might be right and it turns out terrible or it might turn out good or ok. I mean I had big reservations for Continuum and was pleasently surprised while Ark of Truth I must say I was a bit disappointed even though I was more anxious for that one.

We can only wait and see I suppose. I meant has it been said that its aiming for an early 2009 release or something? Once thats out, I think its fair to judge the show.

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                              Hopefully they'll change their minds about making most the characters so young. There just seem to be endless TV shows and movies about people around 20. Only the other evening my husband found a really bad sci-fi movie about some young recruits having to save the world.

I think what's putting a lot of people off is that it's intended to be a space opera to replace BSG which has been described as the 'jewel'. I did a bit of research for the ages of cast members in BSG and the result is here -

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=2807
                              I wouldnt mind say perhaps one or two characters being in the early 20's while the rest being older. I mean really as some have said, this was an expedition to a starship of the Ancients so they should send some experienced people on the journey especially after what happened in Atlantis initially with it being cut off for a year from Earth.

But having said that I think its just too early to say anything about the cast call. To me, its just names and a description - what really counts I think is who they get and how well they act the role. And, of course, preferably all of them arent so young.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Working...
                              X