how many more threads do you think will come saying

1: stargate: voyager
    2: stargate: galactica
    3: Stargate: infinity in real life
    4: stargate: junior
    5: stargate Universe: i hate it
    6: SGU: why a ship/ancient ship/ blabla
    7: SGU with atlantis cast[part of it]/bring {sga character} to SGU

or a combi of them? because i am sick of it. dozens of threads discussing the same. why do people even think "stargate voyagalacinfinijunior. AAAAHHHH"

its not voyager. its not a ship exploring worlds. its just their base. exploration via the gate.

its a team exploring. kind of

the word ship makes everyone think voyager. i think "new kind of base"" . because really. how many more different kind of bases can you have? ship hasnt been used. space station hasnt been used. and remote offworld tent camp.

cliche? everything is cliche. die hard. LOTR. starcraft. Red alert. star trek. BSG. stargate. and god knows what else. but you wouldnt say that. SCI FI was invented and existed BEFORE voyager. BSG is on a ship. people arent crying its voyager. voyager is on a ship. how many trek series have been on a ship? many. before that, there was scifi about people on ships. so quit saying its voyager, or any other series. because those are cliche too. its how they work it out, what determines wheter its cool or not.

stop crying you wont watch SGU or we should boycot it. are you a STARGATE fan? or just SGA'er. people werent hatefull to SGA when it started. you're just upset SGA ended. now look aside from that. SGU-deal was made after SGA was cancelled, not before. writers heard SGA went down, got SGA movies and SGU in return.

sgu is SGU. not SGA in annother place. no major SGA players in SGU. its ridiculous. zelenka? no. chuck? why not. even woolsey could step down. but SGA end doesnt mean the expedition ends. so no major players crossover.

if you wanna voice your hatred towards SGU, join an SGU group and go complaint there. go convince other haters to boycott it.

dont say its a cliche. the list of clichés is infinite, mainly due to standalone movies copying ideas. character types are cliche, because thats the easiest to write about. we've had about every type of scientist, military man, etc. but thats on paper. on the screen, it works out differently. wheter its cliche or not doesnt matter. wheter you work it out nicely or not does.

so dont go complainting. or whining. add something usefull to this folder. but you guys should first wait till we know more

I agree, it's really getting pathetic now how people are trying to bad mouth the show even before it starts. I've kept quiet about this for a while but now it's just getting ridiculous what people are saying, I've just read a thread saying the premise sounds like sliders and it just made me laugh. Sliders was about a group of people that travel to alternate realities via this device that the main guy created, how is that anything like the SGU premise? The single comparison i can make is that they're lost, trying to get home, one single factor that apparently makes it exactly like sliders. Anyway, rant over, I agree, people just need to relax, wait and see how the show is before condemning it.

Comment

So, it's okay to support the show, but not to be skeptical about it? I agree that the "boycott" people are ridiculous, but it's perfectly appropriate to be negative about the show from what we've read so far. The initial press release, the subsequent statements from the producers, and now the casting information all leave a bad taste in most fans mouths.

There is still time for the producers to make a few key changes to the show to make it better, and they won't make them unless we make our voices heard. And I know they read these forums.

Also, I'd ask you to leave the decision about what is an appropriate thread or discussion up to the moderators. If you want to dictate to people what they can and can't say about the show, go make your own forum, or ask to be added as a moderator here.

Comment

You forget Stargate 90210. It suits perfect.

Comment

this really needed to be said, i just noticed there were 2 threads saying that SGU is like sliders and infinity mixed together ALMOST NEXT TO EACH OTHER on the first page!!!! someone needs to start an anti-sgu thread (like there are for so many other things, not that i partake in any of them) and get the mods to delete any other anti-sgu threads
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post

this really needed to be said, i just noticed there were 2 threads saying that SGU is like sliders and infinity mixed together ALMOST NEXT TO EACH OTHER on the first page!!!! someone needs to start an anti-sgu thread (like there are for so many other things, not that i partake in any of them) and get the mods to delete any other anti-sgu threads
            Or, they could put a "pro-SGU" thread, since those seem to be in the minority and would fit in one thread easier.

Comment

Also, I'd ask you to leave the decision about what is an appropriate thread or discussion up to the moderators. If you want to dictate to people what they can and can't say about the show, go make your own forum, or ask to be added as a moderator here.
              the problem, my friend, isnt discussing the negative things. i dont care bout that. its the eternal whining complainting, people shouting and screaming things they know nothing off. something like saying its like annother series is ridiculous. its not slizers, BSG, voyager, whatever. like i said: everything in tv world is a cliche, how you do handle it is whats called originality.

people make assumptions based on a pressrelease. stupid assumptions. there are a dozen threads on the same thing. just make a unified thread, not dozens on the same subject. people complaint mainly on the bad things, failing to see the good things

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                people complaint mainly on the bad things, failing to see the good things
                They haven't given us any good things to talk about. You are right that what they haven't told us about could make all the difference, but until they tell us, what are we supposed to do? Just not discuss the show?

Assuming the show will be good is no more accurate than assuming it will be bad. In fact, the information to date, what little we have, suggests it will be bad. When the show actually debuts opinions may shift, but until then all we have to go on is what they have told us, and it doesn't look that good to most of us.

Comment

What I've read from people that don't want to watch the show appears to me to be based on the fact that they think SGA was cancelled to make SGU.
                  There has been no evidence to prove this, it's just a silly assumption that one person says, then another and another.
                  As far as I can see the SGU haters are sheep, following each other and I think that's wrong.
                  You should't just say that you won't watch something because another person won't it's utterly rediculous.

When I first heard the premise for SGU (admitedly before Atlantis was cancelled) I thought it sounded really good, when it was confirmed but Atlantis was cancelled my decison to watch SGU didn't change, it never actually crossed my mind that SGA was cancelled for SGU, whether that was the reason should not stop anyone from watching it and then forming their opinion about it.

I'm sure that there will be a thread to discuss people's real informed opinions about the show when it finally airs next year and they get to see it.

I agree with thekillman to keep chucking cliche after cliche out there about Universe is just plain stupid and very annoying.

Comment

the premise may sound bad. but this is and will remain stargate. if it isnt, then they wouldnt have named it stargate. younger means 30's people instead of 40's. not 10's. people misunderstood it, mainly due to poorly reading the premise and misinterpretation

Comment

Shouldn't Star Gate "whatever", be about a Gate???
                      Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

(in a tone similar to Nirrti's in Stargate Continuum) I agree!

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          the problem, my friend, isnt discussing the negative things. i dont care bout that. its the eternal whining complainting, people shouting and screaming things they know nothing off. something like saying its like annother series is ridiculous. its not slizers, BSG, voyager, whatever. like i said: everything in tv world is a cliche, how you do handle it is whats called originality.

people make assumptions based on a pressrelease. stupid assumptions. there are a dozen threads on the same thing. just make a unified thread, not dozens on the same subject. people complaint mainly on the bad things, failing to see the good things
                          I wish I lived in a world where the glass was eternally half full, as you do.

So far, we've been given two appallingly phrased press-releases which has (quite legitimately) worried a large section of the fanbase. This is unsurprising as the stated intent of TPTB is to attract a younger demographic. IIRC the "average" (and I'm not getting into a discussion of the definition of "average") demographic of the SG fan is a 42 year old, white male.

Horror of horrors, the cast list contains all bar one of the characters way, WAY under this age barrier and a number of differing ethnicities.

PANIC! BLAME! DISGRACE! AGEISM! CHANGE!

Speaking solely for myself, I have quite legitimate concerns that this show will not follow the established "Stargate Formula", detatching it further from a believable reality and damaging a franchise that I've spent about half my life watching, enjoying and, dammit, worshipping!

If you want to follow blindly behind TPTB, please feel free to do so, no-one is stopping you. I applaud you for addressing the concerns a number of people have expressed but caution you against such a reactionary tone, you come accross as an extremist, further polarising support for the franchise.

I agree that there is significant duplication of concerns, indeed, since I posted my SG meets Sliders thread, I've seen at least 2 more duplicates follow.

A simple "Pro Universe" and "Anti-Universe" setup is impracticle due to the wide nature of the concerns and, indeed, supporting features.

Perhaps what should come out if this is a concilliatory tone from all parties and a departure from petty bickering, seeing as neither party has had their hopes or fears confirmed.

Additionally perhaps the board police could be a tad more proactive in stomping down duplicate threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Miroslav View Post
                            You forget Stargate 90210. It suits perfect.
                            Thats just funny. Honestly, this guy complains about what you just did on his topic, and you go along and do exactly what he is complaing about. I'd give you bad karma, but thats just to frakin' funny.

Originally posted by NKDietrich View Post
                            So, it's okay to support the show, but not to be skeptical about it? I agree that the "boycott" people are ridiculous, but it's perfectly appropriate to be negative about the show from what we've read so far. The initial press release, the subsequent statements from the producers, and now the casting information all leave a bad taste in most fans mouths.

There is still time for the producers to make a few key changes to the show to make it better, and they won't make them unless we make our voices heard. And I know they read these forums.

I don't care, niether does he, if you say bad thing about it. In fact in one of my many posts, I actually say VOICE your bad opinions. However, I'm tired of hearing the ole', "Its Voyage! Punk yea!$%@" Because it's not. One, Voyager had control of their ship. Thats a big difference. If Voyager wanted to go home, they could, and they did. These people can never go home. Ever. Unless they find a new gate with big power, or they find a new ship and steal it or whatever. But we haven't heard that yet. Assuming thats going to happen would be almost as worse than assuming the characters are going to stay exactly the same. And how is it a big differance? Well, in a battle, Voyager could avoid fire. Destiny can't. Unless thats automatic, which is why I don't think there will be a lot of space battles. I conclude that not because I want it so, but because it doesn't make sense. Who wants to see a ship that will never get hit because it's perfect? And if it's not perfect, then the ship gets destroyed and we all die. We don't want that. Best thing? Make it always cloaked. Or out of phazed. So we can never ever see it in battle nor see what the ship looks like. Explains why we need a 9th Chevron any more, maybe thats the only way to get to it while out of phaze. Two, another major difference is, the Stargate. When Voyager wanted to go off-ship, they needed a shuttle and a planet near by. If Universe is like Voyager, then so is Atlantis, because Atlantis was lost in another galaxy (for a while) and had a Stargate. But Atlantis was a far cry from a Voyager, wasn't?

And I'm tired of these people saying the writers aren't capabale of writing anything original. Thats just a bunch of do-do. So yea, complain all you wait, but don't assume it's like Voyager and say your not going to watch it because its so much like Voyager. If Universe is like Voyager, then so is Atlantis. If Universe is like Sliders, then so is SG-1 and Atlantis. And everything Stargate sucks big donky. SUCKS! STARGATE SUCKS THEN!

Oh wait, this is a Stargate fans site, I doubt anyone here seriously thinks that. So stop saying Univserse is the next Voyager and it's unoriginal and it's Beverly Hills or the OC because then so is my favorite two shows, and your favoriate shows, and I wont believe that crap.

Originally posted by NKDietrich View Post
                            They haven't given us any good things to talk about. You are right that what they haven't told us about could make all the difference, but until they tell us, what are we supposed to do? Just not discuss the show?

Assuming the show will be good is no more accurate than assuming it will be bad. In fact, the information to date, what little we have, suggests it will be bad. When the show actually debuts opinions may shift, but until then all we have to go on is what they have told us, and it doesn't look that good to most of us.
                            Thats a load of bull. Were you one of the people complaining that anytime we were in a tight postion, we had a 304 to save our butts? Well, now we ain't got no ship to save our butts. Sure, we could be on another planet and a big ship captured us, but the Destiny isn't going to save you. And you have a time limit on how long you can be captured, otherwise you are trapped on this ship or this galaxy forever. Yep, that's just like Voyager and yep, thats nothing to be excited about. And that was the first thing we knew, a long time ago, and people were still saying "It's VOYAGER BABY! YEA STARGATE SUCKS!! WOOT!!" and the premise is NOTHING like Voyager, and if it is, then Universe is like Sliders and SG-1/Atlantis is a Sliders rip-off, too. But none of the above is true, thankfully, so we can relax. Now i will give you, the character cast as we have it now can be considered nothing to be excited about. But I look on there and I see character development. I see a set of people that weren't expecting to be lost in another galaxy and continue to move further and further away from the milky way, and them hating each other and having to work together, and a slacker having to become more and reach his full potiential, to be something excited about. Sure, you can cry and say it's 901210 (Beverly Hills), but thats assuming a lot, mister, and if we can't assume the show has posibilty to be good, then you have no right to assume the show will be like Voyager or 901210, when we have absolutely nothing to go on. Besides a press release and a casting report.

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
                            Shouldn't Star Gate "whatever", be about a Gate???
                            THATS THE THING! THEY DON'T CONTROL THE SHIP! IT's LIKE A SGC THAT'S ON WHEELS...but actually moves in space...it has a Stargate! Thats how they get on the ship! Thats how they explore the worlds! Its, omg, actually going to use the gate more then Atlantis (well, there is a possibility of that...could be wrong, but if I could be wrong, then so could everyone who sayis SGU wont use a Stargate and will be a Voyager rip-off! Thats the thing! We don't know enough to make a informed decision...)

So there, rant over.
                            Last edited by Blistna; 20 September 2008, 04:46 AM.

Comment

well i dont follow blindly. im terrified about SGU. i am. there's so much that can go wrong. hopefully, the bigger budget solves problems. but im not crying out silly things. discussing things: OK. the slizer thing is ridiculous, as is the voyager thing. its stargate. if they wont go through a stargate, then its not stargate

Comment

Working...
                              X