PDA

View Full Version : How about the return of archaeology?

Col. Tomorian
September 18th, 2008, 01:07 PM
How about the return of archaeology?
After the rush of my first impression of "Stargate: Universe", I thought that it would be cool if they brought back some archaeology aspects. One of the greatest elements to Stargate is discovering anchient temples, cities, and artifacts. Instead of just staying on a ship, why not add some more exploration. Doctor Jackson and Jack O'Neill are the main Stargate characters. Jack is the head strong military genius with wity comments, and Jackson is the man with all knowing knowlegde into old civilizations. Maybe they could have a small team setup for exploration, and another one setup for military purposes. Sometimes they interact on missions, but maybe it could make some interesting and intellegant stories.

What do you think?

Pharaoh Atem
September 18th, 2008, 02:48 PM
i wouldn't mind seeing that also i always enjoyed the archaeology aspect of SG

Infinatus
September 18th, 2008, 04:34 PM
There won't be any archeologists in SGU. Just inexperienced youths.

crowmagnumman
September 18th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Bummer. I'm gonna miss that aspect of Stargate.

Jack_Bauer
September 18th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I wouldn;t mind a touch of it, but i have a horrible feeling that if they did bring it back they would just be trying to re-do SG1 early seasons bcos it worked rather than bringing in new stuff...

bungeeguy245
September 18th, 2008, 07:46 PM
That would not work with this series plot though. It's about a couple of ships sent out by the Ancients to deploy stargates and then explore the worlds. The ancients then ascended and never got around to it. So there is no connection to our history. Although I will agree that was always a great interaction between Jackson and Oneal. They reproduced that somewhat with McKay and Sheppard. Although that was more technological rather than archaeoligical.

September 19th, 2008, 04:10 AM
i think it could work, remember destiny is an exploration craft, going into uncharted galaxies, they are going to need some sort of scientist group, paleontologists, archeologists, xenobiologists, xenopologists etc.

NKDietrich
September 19th, 2008, 05:32 AM
i think it could work, remember destiny is an exploration craft, going into uncharted galaxies, they are going to need some sort of scientist group, paleontologists, archeologists, xenobiologists, xenopologists etc.

I get the impression that they won't have the luxury of a science team. They don't even have a proper doctor just a field medic.

Jeff O'Connor
September 19th, 2008, 05:35 AM
I'd love some.

Col. Tomorian
September 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Everyone may be right. If they are departing from the original SG-1 feeling, the writters may not want to do anything with archaeology. That would be a bummer.

amconway
September 19th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I had really hoped for that, but this cast is too young and untrained to have the knowledge to do much of anything. Sadly. That's my biggest objection to the concept.