Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Sheppard get command of Atlantis?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Sheppard get command of Atlantis?

Sheppard's been a Lieutennant Colonel for four years now. For the movie, would it be unreasonable to promote him to full Colonel and give him command of Atlantis? Woolsey could still have a large role in the movie since it would just be one story. He could, perhaps, be observing Sheppard's leadership? If the show had not been cancelled, then I'd be fine with Sheppard remaining chief military officer while someone else runs the city, but... being a movie and all... time for change?

I think changing the expedition's leadership a third time in two seasons and the first telefilm is definitely pushing it, don't you? I mean, I think Sheppard could have been doing a fantastic job already, and I don't doubt that he would in the future, presuming he ever takes over. As I pointed out in another thread concerning the concept of him getting the position, though, I don't think he wants it. In fact, Sam specifically mentions 'now I see why you didn't want this job.'

He doesn't want it, because he's... the man.
    If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

True, he doesn't want it, but sometimes we do thinks we don't want to do, because there's more at stake than our personal likes and dislikes. As for changing leaders every year... I see your point. The transition from Weir to Carter worked. Weir was captured by the Asurans and eventually presumed dead. In her absense, Carter was brought in to take charge. The transition from Carter to Woolsey... didn't work for me. She's removed from command without explanation. Woolsey takes over despite nearly destroying the city in "The Seer." O...k... I expected Woolsey's command to be a disaster, but it's actually been quite good. The transition was stupid, but once he was in command... things smoothed over. Now there's Sheppard... Wouldn't it be a smooth transition for Sheppard to be promoted with Woolsey handing over command? I guess it works to have Woolsey as civilian leader while Sheppard is the military leader. Co-leadership? Perhaps Carter was only removed from command because the IOA wanted to return to civilian leadership?

I just want to see big changes in the movie, things that we could not see in the show, because they would break the status quo. That's one thing I like about the Star Trek movies. They made gutsy moves like blowing up the Enterprise, killing off pivital characters, giving Data emotions, and so forth.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
        I just want to see big changes in the movie, things that we could not see in the show, because they would break the status quo. That's one thing I like about the Star Trek movies. They made gutsy moves like blowing up the Enterprise, killing off pivital characters, giving Data emotions, and so forth.
        true but how are they supposed to replace Atlantis? also Kirk was killed in ST VII which was his last appearance, I don't expect TPTB to kill off Shep or Rodney. as for Data's emotion ship, remember he could always turn it off and it's never been a problem
        sigpic
        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
          true but how are they supposed to replace Atlantis? also Kirk was killed in ST VII which was his last appearance, I don't expect TPTB to kill off Shep or Rodney. as for Data's emotion ship, remember he could always turn it off and it's never been a problem
          When did Data get a ship run by emotions?
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

You are taking my post way too literally. I did not say they should do that with Atlantis movies. I simply presented examples of things that were done in the movies that couldn't have been done in the TV series.

Obviously, I don't expect them to drop Atlantis, but they could have something big happen to Daedalus. I don't want to see it destroyed since Earth's fleet is small, but... how about a crashlanding?

As for killing off major characters, that's something they've already done many times. It wouldn't be new and shocking as the deaths of Kirk and Spock in the Star Trek movies were. They've already killed off Beckett, turned Weir into an Asuran, and have Carter reassigned. The only death that would be movie material, to me at least, would be Ronan. Not this first TV movie, but perhaps in the second or third, provided we get a series of movies and not just one.

Data's emotion chip was fused into his android brain in the first movie. So, he was stuck with emotions. It was a major change for the character, because he'd only had brief emotional encounters in the past. It was a permamnent change. In the second movie, he discovered an on/off feature. Fair enough. Should his emotions get the best of him in a crisis, he can simply hit the off switch. That's not quite being Human, but it could save lives. The last two movies severely annoyed me, because it was revealed that he could remove the chip. The writers of those two films wanted to retread TNG's glory days instead of embracing change

What would you like to see in the movie, something that wouldn't happen in the series due to shaking up status quo?

Comment

Four years as Lieutenant Colonel is not that long (Major Davis for 10+ years IS too long). Also, I don't think Sheppard was asked to be the commander of Atlantis in season four. He was on the short list, and he (and Carter) just basically said that he wouldn't want the job.

Anyway, if he became commander, he would (or should) be grounded on Atlantis, and it's better if he stayed out in the field.

Comment

I, personally, would hate to see him in charge. I don't think he could do it let alone,as pointed out, he wouldn't want to. Granted Jack would rather go off world with SG-1 than be in charge of HWS and does it because he has to and he knows he can/must do it. You can't do the "I do it because it's bigger than my own desires" again. It's tragic to not have Jack where he wants to be but at least he does both jobs excellently. It would be unrealistic and no fun to see Sheppard in charge. I like to see him have the option to argue with the higher ups like Woolsey who is a great antaganist.
                Thanks,
                Mac Jackson
                Singer/Songwriter of
                "Harmony Constant"
                [email protected]
                myspace.com/harmonyconstant
                youtube.com/MacWJack
                Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
                http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Comment

Sheppard running Atlantis isn't comparable to Jack running Homeworld Security. However, I do think it would be comparable to Jack spending a year as leader of Stargate Command. Where as the SGC is hidden under a mountain on Earth, Atlantis is alone in the Pegasus Galaxy and open to attack. I think Sheppard running the city could be quite interesting, and he could still go off world when he sees fit. Where as the SGC leader almost never goes off world, Weir and Carter left the city on several occasions. I wonder if we'll see Woolsey go off world before the show ends?

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    When did Data get a ship run by emotions?
                    LOL

You are taking my post way too literally. I did not say they should do that with Atlantis movies. I simply presented examples of things that were done in the movies that couldn't have been done in the TV series.
                    why couldn't they have done these things in the tv shows? destroying the ship would've been a great season or series finale. as for Data's emotion chip, could've been found during an away mission

Obviously, I don't expect them to drop Atlantis, but they could have something big happen to Daedalus. I don't want to see it destroyed since Earth's fleet is small, but... how about a crashlanding?
                    that would be pretty cool

As for killing off major characters, that's something they've already done many times. It wouldn't be new and shocking as the deaths of Kirk and Spock in the Star Trek movies were. They've already killed off Beckett, turned Weir into an Asuran, and have Carter reassigned. The only death that would be movie material, to me at least, would be Ronan. Not this first TV movie, but perhaps in the second or third, provided we get a series of movies and not just one.
                    you're right I forgot about Spock but Kirk doesn't count since it was his last appearance in the ST franchise. personally I wouldn't want any member of the team to die

Data's emotion chip was fused into his android brain in the first movie. So, he was stuck with emotions. It was a major change for the character, because he'd only had brief emotional encounters in the past. It was a permamnent change. In the second movie, he discovered an on/off feature. Fair enough. Should his emotions get the best of him in a crisis, he can simply hit the off switch. That's not quite being Human, but it could save lives. The last two movies severely annoyed me, because it was revealed that he could remove the chip. The writers of those two films wanted to retread TNG's glory days instead of embracing change
                    the discovery of the on/off switch and the fact that Data could remove it in Insurrection and Nemesis didn't bother me. however you're right he was only allowed to explore his emotions in Generations and to a lesser extent in First Contact

What would you like to see in the movie, something that wouldn't happen in the series due to shaking up status quo?
                    tbh I hadn't really thought about it. I want to see the rest of s5 before making any assumptions or suggestions. I'm glad that TBTB won't get rid of the Wraith but they might kill off Todd or Michael imo. probably not in the first movie, maybe the second or third and then focus on the new enemy

Sheppard running Atlantis isn't comparable to Jack running Homeworld Security. However, I do think it would be comparable to Jack spending a year as leader of Stargate Command. Where as the SGC is hidden under a mountain on Earth, Atlantis is alone in the Pegasus Galaxy and open to attack. I think Sheppard running the city could be quite interesting, and he could still go off world when he sees fit. Where as the SGC leader almost never goes off world, Weir and Carter left the city on several occasions. I wonder if we'll see Woolsey go off world before the show ends?
                    Spoiler:
                    Sam only went off-world in Reunion, Trio, (TLM,) and S&R. Woolsey will visit another planet in 512 Inquisition
                    sigpic
                    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

You do realize that there is an almost identical thread in the Atlantis folder, right? And it was started... oh, a whole two days ago.

John Sheppard Command Atlantis???

I realize you are talking in terms of the movie here, not the series, but still. What's with the push for Sheppard to be in command?
                      Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                      Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Actually, no matter how you look at it my point works. Being SGC leader and HWS still take Jack away from where he wants to be. He could have gone off world also(and did a few times so far) but also had to run the SGC so couldn't as much as he wanted to. Weir and Carter left the city a few times too but didn't always...because they had to run things back on Atlantis. Shepard couldn't go on all the missions like now if he did run Atlantis just like Jack couldn't go off world everyday. That's my point.
                        Mac Jackson
                        Singer/Songwriter of
                        "Harmony Constant"
                        [email protected]
                        myspace.com/harmonyconstant
                        youtube.com/MacWJack
                        Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
                        http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Comment

Not really.....if I consider how the rest of the people ended up when they grasped the command of Atlantis....
                          .:.
                          My Art Blog .:. A J.F. Fan

Comment

Nooo,he is the action hero. What on earth can he do from an office? No no no, he needs to be out there, kicking a** and Kirking.....
                            Spoiler:
                            APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                            (YEAR 0 - 100)
                            "O thou Sun,
                            send me as far over the earth
                            as is my pleasure and thine,
                            and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
                            but never hear anything of bad ones,
                            nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

No, he shouldnt get atlantis command. But to be colonel. And the IOA would not have a military leader thats why carter leaved as commmaner
                              “We could be a team. You could be my sidekick.”
                              “Sidekick?”
                              “Yeah, it’d be like Batman and Ronon. Has a nice ring to it.”
                              “Yeah, you keep eating like that it’s going to be more like fatman.”

Comment

Working...
                              X