PDA

View Full Version : A Day At The Cinema - Ark of Truth and Continuum on the Big Screen!

Elite Anubis Guard
September 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM
http://www.virtualstargate.co.uk/cinema/banner.jpg
http://www.virtualstargate.co.uk/cinema/

This is a United Kingdom (Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire) based event!

A Stargate SG-1 movie has been on the ropes for almost as long as the Ancients have been Ascended! Lost City was our first incarnation of that possible feature length movie. On March the 11th of 2008, the world saw the first actual Stargate SG-1 movie in The Ark of Truth. This was followed by Continuum on the 29th of July. These two are the first in a hopefully long line of Stargate SG-1 DVD movies. As fantastic as those movies were, there was one fatal let-down for many fans. The lack of a big screen release.

I know I certainly was disappointed. So I set about trying to find a way to bring those movies to our big screens. I went through a few cinemas until I found Screen Room. A lovely little cinema based in Nottingham. And through them I am now able to offer you a chance to watch the two SG-1 DVD movies back-to-back!

Unfortunately there are only twenty-one seats available so for those interested in this event should be sure to e-mail me as soon as possible to ensure their place! The event will be taking place on November the 22nd(Saturday) from 1pm to 5pm. If you're only interested in watching one of the two films, let me know so we can arrange something.

Here comes the tricky part. As we obviously all know that MGM, Fox and SciFi all own Stargate, I can't actually charge for this event. What I do ask is that anyone who does come please contribute a small donation(£5 or so) towards helping me recuperate the costs of hiring out the facilities.

You are more than welcome to bring your own food and drinks to The Day At The Cinema as none will be sold at the event.

So what is everyone waiting for? Book Your Place Now!! [email protected]

Remaining Seats: 9!

Not quite sure where Screen Room is? It's just across the screen from Broadway. Still not sure? Google Maps is always the answer! Any other questions? Feel free to email me! [email protected]

Schedule -

1.05 pm - Stargate: The Ark of Truth (Finishes at 2.45)
SG-1 travels to the Ori home galaxy in search of an Ancient device that could stop the Ori war once and for all. But the return of an old enemy threatens to overrun the ship before they can accomplish their mission.
(http://www.gateworld.net/movies/02.shtml)

2.55 pm - Stargate: Continuum (Finishes at 4.50)
After Teal'c and Vala vanish during Baal's execution ceremony, the team gates back to Earth to discover that the timeline has been altered and the Stargate program no longer exists.
(http://www.gateworld.net/movies/03.shtml)

Screen Room Pictures!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Corpral_Hicks/ScreenRoom04b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Corpral_Hicks/ScreenRoom02b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Corpral_Hicks/ScreenRoom01b.jpg

Elite Anubis Guard
September 18th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Now down to 16 tickets!

Jeff O'Connor
September 18th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I really wish I lived in the UK.

GodAtum
September 18th, 2008, 11:18 AM
:( im nowwhere near nottingham!

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
September 18th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Is it the 14th of October like it says in the banner or 11th of October like it says in the text :confused:

prion
September 18th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Ah, too far!

Elite Anubis Guard
September 18th, 2008, 04:45 PM
We've sold another ticket but it's looking like we'll be having to push the event forward to the 4th. It's not confirmed yet but I've changed the post anywho.

Darren
September 18th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Elite Anubis Guard --

FYI, I've merged the duplicate threads from the Stargate Movies and Stargate News folders. There is a forwarder in News for 24 hours, but remember that we don't like multiple copies of the same thread posted to different folders.

Thanks!

jenks
September 19th, 2008, 10:42 AM
That's the smallest big screen I've ever seen!

Elite Anubis Guard
September 19th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Date is now definitely the fourth. And this is only a fan-run event. The donations are nothing more than covering the costs of hiring the screen to give fans an opportunity to see the films in a cinema.

^^ It's the world's smallest cinema.

Elite Anubis Guard
September 20th, 2008, 02:45 AM
:( im nowwhere near nottingham!

Notts does have a train station if you really want to come. :jack:

EDIT: Now down to 14! Remember to book your place before all the seats are gone!

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
September 20th, 2008, 04:39 AM
I got one of my gater friends to come.

Elite Anubis Guard
September 20th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Due to the short term notice behind this event, the event may be put back to the 14th or 22nd of November, most likely the 22nd to allow people more notice. I'll let people know ASAP. I'm just waiting on info on the availability of the booking of those dates.

EDIT: Okay guys, the date is officially now the 22nd and 3 more tickets have been sold. I'd like to apologize for these abrupt change in dates. I got a little too excited when it came to organizing the event. Now that the date is now the 22nd, it'll give people a little more notice.

Elite Anubis Guard
September 21st, 2008, 10:07 PM
Down to ten seats!

Elite Anubis Guard
September 28th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Bump! You guys don't wanna miss out on this.

Elite Anubis Guard
October 12th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Bump once again. The event is drawing closer.

Elite Anubis Guard
October 19th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Wow. Really surprised at lack of interest.

dipsofjazz
October 20th, 2008, 02:56 AM

Not lack of interest, but just the fact that you're too far away for many people to travel to.

jenks
October 20th, 2008, 04:59 AM

You shouldn't have posted pics of the screening room ;)

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
October 22nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
I've decided I don't wanna sit in a cinema for 4 hours straight so I'm only gonna come for Continuum. I haven't spoken to my friend who's coming yet so I don't know if he'll wanna come on his own for AoT. My donation will not be halved.

rockerlad
October 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Brilliant idea i wish i lived near by

The_Carpenter
October 22nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
Not lack of interest, but just the fact that you're too far away for many people to travel to.
I concur.... sadly :(

Elite Anubis Guard
October 24th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Nottingham is one of the main train stations from what I remember, if that's of any help.

Elite Anubis Guard
November 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM
Okay so it's this month. We have another 10 seats left to fill.

Celesto
November 3rd, 2008, 02:10 PM
watching this in the cinema is surely cool with friends but i prefer to watch it the first time at home to really get every detail :D

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
November 3rd, 2008, 02:14 PM
watching this in the cinema is surely cool with friends but i prefer to watch it the first time at home to really get every detail :D
You can watch it at home, the DVDs are out.

Come on guys, the last time Stargate was on the big* screen was 14 years ago!
And that movie sucked.

*OK, so it's the smallest cinema in the world, but I bet it's bigger than the tele you have in you living room.

Elite Anubis Guard
November 5th, 2008, 10:28 PM

Bring some friends? We haven't got any loners coming. It's just groups.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
November 14th, 2008, 01:15 PM
One week to go!
I've managed to drag one gater along. Another is at a Uni interview that day, another one didn't actually like Continuum and would rather keep the leaked version of AoT (the one with unfinished sci-fi) in his head because "it's funnier that way". Sister and brother law probably wouldn't want to come considering they don't like the Reel in Loughborough... That leaves the person I actually watched most of SG1 with the first time, although he doesn't know what he's doing next week... *shrugs*

The_Carpenter
November 14th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I may be coming to this after all... :D May not get back home till 9 PM... but its probably worth it :D

anyone know if theres any reasonably priced place to park for 5 odd hours?

Elite Anubis Guard
November 15th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Got 12 seats left now. Still got a week to go. Chances are I wont do one of these again.

Christopher
November 16th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Cripes, I almost missed out on this! Put me down for two tickets :)

Still need me to bring my x264 encodes?

Elite Anubis Guard
November 16th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I've put Christopher down for two. If you could, drop me an e-mail so I've got you in there for when I send out reminders and etc.

No need to bring anything other than yourself and whatever food and drinks you think you'll need. :-)

Christopher
November 16th, 2008, 04:59 PM
So what are we going to be watching off? If it's off Blu-Ray then that's cool :D If it's DVD, then I think we can do better than that can't we? ;)

Also, a possible future venue suggestion: The Electric cinema in Birmingham has a second screen which is 100% digital, the kit they have is VEEEEEEEEEEERY nice (4k Christie projector good enough?) I watched Wall-E there last month and it looked so good I almost wept :D That'd be a perfect venue for watching future Stargate films at, though I suspect it may cost a little more than £150 to book for an afternoon. It's smack bang next to New Street Station though, which is quite useful!

Elite Anubis Guard
November 17th, 2008, 06:04 AM
It was going to be DVD because those are the only ones I have. However, I did inquire:

We have a blu ray player and we have a projector that is 1920 x 1080 (Full HD), so you would just have to bring the disc(s).

Does anyone have the Blu-Ray disks?

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
November 17th, 2008, 06:38 AM
AoT blu ray hasn't even been released, but if anyone has Continuum that would be awesome.

Elite Anubis Guard
November 17th, 2008, 06:47 AM
If I need to, I'll just pick Continuum up on Blu-Ray I guess. Blu-Rays aren't that much, surely.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
November 17th, 2008, 06:50 AM
They're more expensive than DVDs
The RRP for Continuum is £28.99, but you could probably find it for £20. You could always ask people for £2 more.

Elite Anubis Guard
November 17th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Play has it for £20. :-)

Elite Anubis Guard
November 18th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Down to 9 seats now. Only a couple of days left. Don't miss out on this, I wont be doing another.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
November 18th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Play has it for £20. :-)

Are you getting it then?
Might be worth emailing everyone who's going and asking them if they have it first.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
November 20th, 2008, 05:53 AM
OK Assuming I get on the right train and don't get lost in Nottingham I'll be there for AoT now aswell.

Elite Anubis Guard
November 20th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Awesome. 2 days to get your tickets. Don't miss out guys. No more event like it.

dipsofjazz
November 21st, 2008, 09:05 AM
:D I hope everyone has a great time tomorrow. Even although I can't be there with you in person, I'll be with you in spirit.

Christopher
November 21st, 2008, 01:24 PM
Gonna be fun - looking forward to tomorrow. :)

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
November 22nd, 2008, 11:35 AM
Wow that was....embarrassing.
5 people.... FIVE PEOPLE!
FIVE?!?!?!

You really missed out, watching Continuum on the big screen makes it 10xs better.

The_Carpenter
November 22nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Wow that was....embarrassing.
5 people.... FIVE PEOPLE!
FIVE?!?!?!

You really missed out, watching Continuum on the big screen makes it 10xs better.
only five WOW....

sorry I couldn't make it, but had to visit my cousin and her new baby!

Hope the few of you there had a good time anyway ;)

Elite Anubis Guard
November 22nd, 2008, 10:48 PM
I got an email from that family I said should be coming so that's all cool. But I rather enjoyed it, despite the numbers. The films looked awesome and it was a shame the numbers were so poor 'cause I'd love to do another one.

Christopher
November 23rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Well hopefully for the next one we can get something arranged sooner after the HD version comes out - I for one look forward to sitting down with some fellow Gate fans and watching on a nice big screen :D

Thanks for putting it on anyway, it was a fun social outing even if the turnup was on the low side (and SHAME on you all those who promised you'd be coming and then didn't show up! If you had financially committed to doing something similar you'd be really pissed off if less than half of the people who promised to show up ended up being no shows). But never mind... I hope you didn't get burnt too badly on the money front, because I enjoyed it and so did my mate - roll on the next event. :D

Elite Anubis Guard
November 29th, 2008, 04:27 AM
No, not too badly. Ended up paying half of it myself, was hoping everyone showing up would finish off the other side but alas. I'm getting some back from the family who decided it was too risky to come (bad weather for them) so I'm very grateful for that.

I think it'd just require better planning and more time next time maybe. Maybe a city accessible for everyone. That said Notts has a train station so...I dunno. Lol. It was fun. I really enjoyed it. It was nice to talk to everyone.

Kickoutwoolsey
November 29th, 2008, 07:27 AM
some people are so lucky.

Rudy257
November 29th, 2008, 11:51 AM
How lucky you all are over there, I would have loved to see it on the big screen here. Please let us know how great it was!

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
November 29th, 2008, 05:55 PM
How lucky you all are over there, I would have loved to see it on the big screen here. Please let us know how great it was!

very

Elite Anubis Guard
November 30th, 2008, 09:32 AM
It was great. It really was. I think Bra'tac said it best. "Seeing it on the bigger screen just makes you appreciate it that much more."

dipsofjazz
November 30th, 2008, 10:13 AM
:D I'm glad you all had a great time, even if the numbers were a little low.

knowles2
December 7th, 2008, 03:26 PM
shame on the numbers. Wish I could of been their but after checking the numbers it just was not possible.

May be for the next two films.

cflat
December 8th, 2008, 10:38 AM
That's a really nice thought. It's too bad that I don't live in the U.K. (or wasn't visiting at that time).