This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Initial Reaction

Well there have been mixed reactions to SGU, but my question is how did people react when Atlantis was first announced?

Most people were pleased, but then Atlantis was an addition to what we already had, it wasn't replacing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      Most people were pleased, but then Atlantis was an addition to what we already had, it wasn't replacing anything.
      Honestly, I wasn't really all that excited, but was happy to get another scifi show to try out. But then I tuned in and was very pleased, especially since towards the end,SG1 wasn't my cup of tea anymore.
      But I in no way felt "betrayed" by the new show Atlantis, as I do with Universe.
      And Atlantis is still going strong, seems like there are lots of new stories to tell with these characters, therefore it hurts more.
      sigpic

Comment

Ironically enough, it wasn't much different for Atlantis. Except for the young aspect of SGU, the response was similar. There were the inevitable Voyager comparisons. In fact, there was a lengthy thread on this very subject on GW. Atlantis was receiving tons of promotion and SG-1 saw its season cut from 22 episodes to 20. Some SG-1 fans thought Atlantis was pushing SG-1 out the door. I guess it's true: Some things never change.

Comment

I was quite excited actually....

But the more i hear about SGU the more unimpressed i am with it!
          sigpic

Comment

I thought SGA had a great premise and a great start.
            Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

SGA had a great start, but one cannot compare the two now since SGU hasnt even started.

Premise wise, Atlantis sounds superior but I think the fact that Earth has intergalactic starships means that there will always be help for them which is why they decided to go further and further away to prevent Asgard equipped ships from conquering the battlefield in some way. So essentially, I think they want to recreate season 1 of SGA in some way.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

I have to be honest and say that I thought it sounded terrible. I hadn't begun my Stargate renaissance at that point (watched SG1 right from Children of the Gods until it was shunted to some crazy time by TV2 during the third season), and so I only saw the title as Rising was being advertised on Prime. Not having seen any Stargate for years, and judging only on the title, I thought that they were really plumbing the depths by shifting from using the stargate to digging up some sunken city on Earth.

Happily, I can say that I watched (by accident, ironically), the Siege part 3 and realised how wrong I had been. Been hooked (again) ever since. So, when I look at the title and initial details of SGU and think they sound a little stupid, I'm prepared to withhold judgement until I've actually seen the show (like I should have with SGA).

Comment

When I first saw the information for Atlantis, it looked even better than it actually turned out to be.

Comment

In the beginning, I felt the same way about Atlantis as I do SGU now.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

honestly i heard the title "stargate atlantis" and went oh god no!
                      and then i heard about the wraith and went that's gonna suck too!
                      I heard the character mckay was going to be in it and groaned too!
                      but i was wrong about it all mckay is one of my faves and everything else was cool so im gonna give SGU a chance i could b surprised
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X