This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Todd

I've been thinking back to the first time we met Todd, and I'm puzzled about something.

We first see Todd as a prisoner of Kolya's. At the time, he's near starvation and he's been imprisoned so long that he can't remember when he was first captured. My question is, who captured him in the first place? It doesn't seem likely it was Kolya. At that point in time, Kolya had been on the outs with the Genii high command for...what? A year or two? Even if he had captured Todd within that time, it doesn't seem long enough to reduce Todd to the state he was in by the time we meet him.

Unless Kolya had captured Todd well before his exile from the Genii, and had been running some kind of clandestine research program to test the effects of Wraith feedings (he does seem pretty confident when he mentions the three-hour minimum it takes for a human body to recover). But if that was the case, what purpose would such a thing have served before Kolya's exile? And if it wasn't Kolya who captured Todd, then who? Another Genii scientist? Who managed to keep his facility and his prisoner secret from everyone in the Genii government?

There's also the matter of how easily Todd is able to re-insert himself into Wraith society. The Wraith are apparently long-lived creatures, but still, Todd didn't seem to be out of circulation for that long.

I'm puzzled. Anyone have any ideas?
    Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
    I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
    What have these years left to me?
    Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Some of us more...obsessive ...Wraith fans have discussed Todd's time in prison, and how he came to be in that situation. It's all very hard to tell, since there are really no clues at all for reference.

What we do know is that Todd said he was there "many years", to which Sheppard asked if it was "Five? Ten?" and Todd replied, "It no longer matters."

From that, we can surmise that Todd was a prisoner for more than ten years, but that's about it.

We also do not know who originally captured him. It's highly likely that Todd was captured many years ago, by someone unknown, and sold and traded throughout the galaxy until he ended up with the Genii. We just don't know. I do think, however, that he had been with the Genii for a long time (since he referred to being in that prison for 'many years'), but I doubt he was always under Kolya's control.

He was probably the Genii version of the Roman Empire's lion used to devour enemies in the Colosseum, only Todd was devouring them in a subterranean prison. He was probably kept secret from all but highest ranking among the Genii, and after a while, perhaps even nearly forgot. But if Kolya knew about his existence, it would be logical that he would have sought him out and gained control over him as his handler, since he needed all the advantages he could get. It's also obvious (I think) that Ladon didn't even know about Todd's existence, and therefore couldn't immediately pinpoint Sheppard's location. Only a few elite must have known about Todd, with Kolya being one of them.

At least, that's how I imagine it to be, without going too crazy with speculation. Basically, Todd had been a prisoner for a long time, captured by an unknown group or individual, and found wasting away in a Genii prison with Kolya as his 'master'.

Now - about how easily Todd wiggled his way back into Wraith society. Well, first off, he's brilliant, as we have seen. He's also tricksy, and had years upon years to ponder how he would re-establish himself among Wraith. He also came back with a HUGE bargaining chip - he was now personally acquainted with John Sheppard, King of the Lanteans and Waker of the Wraith. Todd's best weapon is his mouth, and he can convince anyone, it seems, that what he knows is important enough to 1. keep him alive, and 2. trust him...if only just a little.

Good questions, btw!

das
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
      Some of us more...obsessive ...Wraith fans have discussed Todd's time in prison, and how he came to be in that situation. It's all very hard to tell, since there are really no clues at all for reference.

What we do know is that Todd said he was there "many years", to which Sheppard asked if it was "Five? Ten?" and Todd replied, "It no longer matters."

From that, we can surmise that Todd was a prisoner for more than ten years, but that's about it.

We also do not know who originally captured him. It's highly likely that Todd was captured many years ago, by someone unknown, and sold and traded throughout the galaxy until he ended up with the Genii. We just don't know. I do think, however, that he had been with the Genii for a long time (since he referred to being in that prison for 'many years'), but I doubt he was always under Kolya's control.

He was probably the Genii version of the Roman Empire's lion used to devour enemies in the Colosseum, only Todd was devouring them in a subterranean prison. He was probably kept secret from all but highest ranking among the Genii, and after a while, perhaps even nearly forgot. But if Kolya knew about his existence, it would be logical that he would have sought him out and gained control over him as his handler, since he needed all the advantages he could get. It's also obvious (I think) that Ladon didn't even know about Todd's existence, and therefore couldn't immediately pinpoint Sheppard's location. Only a few elite must have known about Todd, with Kolya being one of them.

At least, that's how I imagine it to be, without going too crazy with speculation. Basically, Todd had been a prisoner for a long time, captured by an unknown group or individual, and found wasting away in a Genii prison with Kolya as his 'master'.

Now - about how easily Todd wiggled his way back into Wraith society. Well, first off, he's brilliant, as we have seen. He's also tricksy, and had years upon years to ponder how he would re-establish himself among Wraith. He also came back with a HUGE bargaining chip - he was now personally acquainted with John Sheppard, King of the Lanteans and Waker of the Wraith. Todd's best weapon is his mouth, and he can convince anyone, it seems, that what he knows is important enough to 1. keep him alive, and 2. trust him...if only just a little.

Good questions, btw!

das

Das,

You Rock... I love your way of thinking and you always crack me up on Joe's Blog!

Thanks for all you do to further the cause of LOVING TODD!!!!

Cheers,
      Patricia Lee

Comment

All i know about Todd is that he and Steve are the coolest wraith in the galaxy
        sigpic
        Ronon: "If you kill the wraith before i do, i kill you."
        Sheppard: "What if he kills you first?"
        Ronon: "Well then kill ya him..."

Comment

i met Todd once ...out of costume of course...and he ate a salad

Comment

Originally posted by Korean_Turtle87 View Post
            Bwahahahahahaha!!

Thanks - that really made me lol...

das
            sigpic

Comment

Personally I think that, along with all the other Wraith esp the Queens / Generals, that they are stupid. Why?? Well Todd, has been rescued and to an extent, trusted by the SGA team, and yet he can't wait to drop them in it by exposing the gate-way bridge for example, and from I have read he also steals something that we'll see in a later episode this season.

As to the Wraith.... well they must have found out during the feeding upon the Ancients millenia ago about their quest for ascention, so why kill them all??? Why not do a Anubis and trick them into "show us your ways, lets be friends"??? and then for one of them to ascend and once he is there...... help others to ascend and reak havock upon the universe????

Perhaps they arn't stupid, just to animal to turn away from instinct??
              http://www.myspace.com/adam_1973

Comment

Originally posted by sg1adam View Post
                Personally I think that, along with all the other Wraith esp the Queens / Generals, that they are stupid. Why?? Well Todd, has been rescued and to an extent, trusted by the SGA team, and yet he can't wait to drop them in it by exposing the gate-way bridge for example, and from I have read he also steals something that we'll see in a later episode this season.

As to the Wraith.... well they must have found out during the feeding upon the Ancients millenia ago about their quest for ascention, so why kill them all??? Why not do a Anubis and trick them into "show us your ways, lets be friends"??? and then for one of them to ascend and once he is there...... help others to ascend and reak havock upon the universe????

Perhaps they arn't stupid, just to animal to turn away from instinct??
                Where, might I ask, have you seen the evidence that Todd was going to actually *use* the information on Midway *against* us?

Rodney was stupid enough to let Todd use his computer, and Todd just looked into it, and came to see that info. Gathering info doesn't mean using it. Although, you must admit, it shows how potentially stupid the whole idea was. We should be lucky it ended that way, versus a large scaled invasion...

Where have you seen or heard that the Wraith desire ascension? I think Joe has stated they don't. It's clear that they are immortal through feeding, and they wish to dominate, that's their way.

Why do you believe the Ancients to be stupid enough to be convinced by life sucking aliens that they are good, too? The Ancients only saw them as evil, because of the way they fed, and therefore they should be shot.

Now, the Lanteans, they have great potential with having a 'friend' like Todd. (Spoilers ahead!)
                Spoiler:
                They could really do something about Wraith feeding, through him. Which they are now trying to do.

Do not state that Todd will yet again steal something from the Lanteans, and that the Lanteans are stupid to keep him as a friend, if you do not know what you're saying, please.

Yes, he'll take over Command of the Daedalus. But that's all based on a misunderstanding on his part, and he was right into reacting like he did, probably. Meaning he didn't have all the pieces of the puzzle, and came to a conclusion, and reacted.

He has to protect his alliance, one that Atlantis helped him get. So that's what he's doing. He might think that the Lanteans are just trying to stall him, distract him, and that they now have found to eliminate the Wraith again, rather than having them feed on something else than humans. Todd is a very logical being, and he wouldn't react somewhat harsh if it wasn't necessary. Joe has calmed the worriers down by stating so.

And I say 'somewhat harsh', because I do not believe he is going to feed on someone, like any common Wraith would do, until he has all his answers. He only starts to threaten to start feeding because there's some who are aboard, that he knows that are not captured. It being, among others, Ronon.

No, the Wraith aren't stupid. I don't think you get them at all, in fact.

But I'm sure that, if das feels like it, she'll explain to you more in detail what exactly 'the Wraith' are. In her vision, of course.

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Originally posted by Korean_Turtle87 View Post
                  Were?
                  sigpic
                  Ronon: "If you kill the wraith before i do, i kill you."
                  Sheppard: "What if he kills you first?"
                  Ronon: "Well then kill ya him..."

Comment

Oh I have no doubt Todd is brilliant. That's been demonstrated many times.

Of course, the next obvious question is, if he's so smart, how did he get captured?
                    Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
                    I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
                    What have these years left to me?
                    Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Originally posted by Thermonuclearboy View Post
                      Oh I have no doubt Todd is brilliant. That's been demonstrated many times.

Of course, the next obvious question is, if he's so smart, how did he get captured?

Knowing Todd now, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to make some crafty deal with the Genii (like the Wraith in Condemned), and his plan backfired on him (as it did in The Seer). He's a Wraith who is willing to risk all to gain all, so I doubt it was just a matter of him getting shot down in a dart, or wounded during a culling. Nah, I think he was off wheeling and dealing with the Genii, and they double-crossed him.

das
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                        Knowing Todd now, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to make some crafty deal with the Genii (like the Wraith in Condemned), and his plan backfired on him (as it did in The Seer). He's a Wraith who is willing to risk all to gain all, so I doubt it was just a matter of him getting shot down in a dart, or wounded during a culling. Nah, I think he was off wheeling and dealing with the Genii, and they double-crossed him.

das
                        In some ways, Todd is like McKay. I can definitly see something like this happened, but not with the genii though... I like what dasNdanger said.
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Save Carson View Post
                          Were?
                          TGIF creationcon gateworld meetup

Comment

I think through Todd the writers gave the Wraith finally some sort of a recognisable face instead of presenting exchangeable and anonymous Zombies. I'd very much like to see more of him.
                            Last edited by asgard.prior; 21 September 2008, 05:59 AM.
                            Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Comment

In "Spoils of War", Todd was betrayed by one of his crew, and information was stolen from him as well to attack the Midway station, so Todd is vulnerable to betrayal which may have landed him in captivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X