This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cos they couldn't get it right....

..... the cast of Stargate Atlantis are now out of a job.

And by they I mean TPTB, their constant buggling of the overall plot, character shuffles, unoriginal storylines.... i could go on forever.

If i were an actor, i would steer clear of SGU, how long b4 MGM and Sci-fi cancel SGU because the writers cant get it together, honestly.

Thoughts?
    Meh.

Actors get paid to act, so I think they could personally careless whether this series lasts 1 or 10 seasons. As lets face it, the Atlantis actors and actresses can all go off and get roles in other movies and TV series. So I don't think actors and actresses will stay away purely because a series was canceled. Its not like Atlantis or SG1 were the first series to get canceled, there have been many and lots of actors and actresses have gone on to have other successes.

At the end of the day its a job for them. It pays them money and if it lasts great, if it doesn't there is always another job at the end of the day somewhere out there.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post

And by they I mean TPTB, their constant buggling of the overall plot, character shuffles, unoriginal storylines.... i could go on forever.

If i were an actor, i would steer clear of SGU, how long b4 MGM and Sci-fi cancel SGU because the writers cant get it together, honestly.

Thoughts?
      But none of what you see as them not getting it right has anything to do with why the show is ending.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
        But none of what you see as them not getting it right has anything to do with why the show is ending.
        explain?
        Meh.

Comment

explain?
          Don't listen to Naonak. You can tell by his avatar that he's a little mentally unstable.

The writers are to blame for their part of it. That part being the attractiveness of the series. Inconsistent, incoherent plot lines don't drive the "I can't wait to see what happenes next week" mania. The stories need to be at least minimally interconnected, but the writers don't do that. They write an 'episode' that often contradicts earlier episodes.
          Each tv show should be seen as a chapter in the season, not it's own unique entity. Also, a major part of stargate is the realism. I know much of this was lost when we switched from SG1 to SGA, but it was the writers fault for that. If you keep the tech grounded and establish some "can and can'ts" for the series it will FEEL real. Add in some connections to earth and you keep the idea that this is happening right now in another galaxy.

The writers didn't do that, hence the ratings were lower. Then they started killing off major characters to try and boost the ratings...big, big mistake there. And from there it was all downhill.

I quote General Landry. "If I had the salaries they pay those blowhard politicians to put into my budget...I'm sorry, did I say that out loud?"
          Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

Thoughts?
            I think its obvious youre not an actor. 5 years of the same acting gig is near unheard of and sga went for 5 years, do you have any idea how many shows die after a single season or less? Its sad the shows ending but it is far from bungled. The success of the atlantis movies are going to prove you 100% wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
              I think its obvious youre not an actor. 5 years of the same acting gig is near unheard of and sga went for 5 years, do you have any idea how many shows die after a single season or less? Its sad the shows ending but it is far from bungled. The success of the atlantis movies are going to prove you 100% wrong.
              I guess we will have to wait and see, but SGA has been bungled since the beginning of season 3. This situation has been a long time coming.
              Meh.

Comment

Thoughts?
                Where to begin. The show wasn't canceled due to quality, so whatever grievances you might have about the writing, valid or not, it's totally irrelevant. As for 'not being able to get it together', what show were you watching? They made 5 seasons worth of great TV, more than most shows of a similar sort can manage, and they're going out on a high. Besides, like David Hewlett says, actors don't get into that line of work to have a steady job, 5 years worth of TV and then a move onto a less demanding movie format is perfect for an actor, so they've really got nothing to complain about. New and upcoming actors are probably falling over themselves to get a gig in such a successful franchise.

Comment

I guess we will have to wait and see, but SGA has been bungled since the beginning of season 3. This situation has been a long time coming.
                  But... ratings went up since season4 and season5 has been the highest since season2! Thats not bungled O.o

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
                    Don't listen to Naonak. You can tell by his avatar that he's a little mentally unstable.
                    Why so serious?

But, yeah, what jenks said.

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post

The writers are to blame for their part of it. That part being the attractiveness of the series. Inconsistent, incoherent plot lines don't drive the "I can't wait to see what happenes next week" mania. The stories need to be at least minimally interconnected, but the writers don't do that. They write an 'episode' that often contradicts earlier episodes.
                      Each tv show should be seen as a chapter in the season, not it's own unique entity. Also, a major part of stargate is the realism. I know much of this was lost when we switched from SG1 to SGA, but it was the writers fault for that. If you keep the tech grounded and establish some "can and can'ts" for the series it will FEEL real. Add in some connections to earth and you keep the idea that this is happening right now in another galaxy.

The writers didn't do that, hence the ratings were lower. Then they started killing off major characters to try and boost the ratings...big, big mistake there. And from there it was all downhill.

I quote General Landry. "If I had the salaries they pay those blowhard politicians to put into my budget...I'm sorry, did I say that out loud?"
                      ......how could you complain about the writing of the show? Honestly, it's not Grade A material but it's enough to get them on the Peoples Choice Awars for Best Sci Fi show, or did we all just forget that? And why is that a show that sucks so much, has so many fans upset about it? We haven't stopped talking about this for HOW long? And when did five season become a bad thing? Thats how long Buffy lasted on one network, thats how long SG-1 lasted on one network, and the great Star Trek only last what...three seasons! Five seasons is by far a great thing, and any actor would love to have a job that long. And honestly, Stargate Universe is an almost certainty that it will last more then one season. People keep forgetting that this is Sci Fi's big show, and MGM's second biggest franchise -- you don't give up on something like that. They would fire Brad before cancelling SGU. So any actor would love to be in something like that.

I know a lot of people don't like the writing of Atlantis, I can understand that, however if I can understand that then understand that there are just as many people who love the writing of the show and the characters and would love to see a six season. Just look at this news article from GateWorld.net.

To date, (which is 17 days, btw) more than 16,000 fans around the world have signed a "Save Stargate Atlantis" petition. Fan campaign Web sites have sprung up at Save-TheLostCity.com and SOSGA.net.
                      So you say it wasn't good, but there are 16,000 fans around the world who would beg to differ and are begging for more.

Comment

I agree. Atlantis has been directionless basically from the beginning. It seems like all the planning went towards the first season and the PTB been flying by the seat of their pants ever since. During SG1 and SGA S1, Atlantis was built up as this wondrous place that was vital to Earth. S2 and onward, Atlantis is just a place where stuff happens.

I remember some of the comments prior to Atlantis' premiere and how it was supposed to different from SG-1. The two that I distinctly remember were the cut-off from Earth aspect and the civilian leadership. The former lasted only a season and the latter was a complete joke. It was as if they thought, "Hey, let's have a civilian run Atlantis just to differentiate it from SG1," and then they didn't have the slightest idea to make the concept work. That and the subsequent leadership carousel is just a testament to Atlantis' failings.

If SGU has any hope at all, there needs to be a well-laid out plan for series, something like three seasons. Also, SGU needs a show bible. Without these two, the show will be directionless, just like Atlantis.

Thoughts?
                        I disagree here though. If I were an actor, I'd be ecstatic to be part of the Stargate family. Weak writing doesn't necessarily mean the show is going to fail. Atlantis proves this. The opportunities that arise from Stargate will outweigh any negatives. Just look at all the projects that have come about, largely because of Stargate. A Dog's Breakfast and Sanctuary probably wouldn't exist if it weren't for Stargate. Then, there are other projects like Christopher Judge's Rage of Angels still in the works. Didn't Ben Browder sell a script to MGM? Even if, writing-wise, SGU is an unmitigated flop, the potential job opportunities are numerous.

Comment

Thoughts?
                          Its easy to say boycott SGU when you're a fan feeling betrayed. Its not so easy when the paycheck is what keeps food on the table.
                          Last edited by LostCityGuardian; 17 September 2008, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X