PDA

View Full Version : Did Brad Wright and Others Rush Into Stargate Universe? What Do You Think?

Murdock
September 14th, 2008, 06:47 PM
my question...or at least what it looks like, is BW rushed into the whole universe thing. I mean think about it...all of a sudden during season 4 we start to hear rumours about a 3rd stargate series and boom half way through season 5 its official...i mean it seems like he is ready to drop atlantis to start this new stargate series because he has all these really cool plans for it. Its like if you have a great idea and you want to get started as quickly as possible you forget about everything else. So atlantis gets cancelled when it was still in its prime...i mean you do not have to make a whole new series to try new ideas...do you?? i mean the pegasus galaxy is big enough anything is possible right? but anyways it just seems like he rushed into SGU is what i am saying i guess. I mean he and the other higher ups do not even have a cast yet or character names or anything, just an idea and they have to have a solid series ready to go in 5 to 6 months. dont they need more time??

what do you guys think? did BW and other higher ups rush alittle to quickly to SGU and they left atlantis behind? let me know what you think.:mckay:

Vespasianus
September 15th, 2008, 07:39 AM
No. The first piece of news about a third series arrived in December 2006.

jenks
September 15th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Indeed, it's been in the works for ages. Atlantis, now that was rushed into production, the sets were being built before casting had been finished or scripts written.

Pharaoh Atem
September 15th, 2008, 08:07 AM

Indeed, it's been in the works for ages. Atlantis, now that was rushed into production, the sets were being built before casting had been finished or scripts written.

double :indeed:

SGU is being planned out coreeclty

SGFerrit
September 15th, 2008, 08:36 AM

Indeed, and it was no doubt being planned long before that. The recent news that hints were placed in the last season of SG-1 shows that they've had this planned out well.

They've taken their time with it. It's been on the cards for a while, and it will still be nearly another year before we see it.

Jeff O'Connor
September 15th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah. Calling this rushed is like telling people Rome was built in a day.

Ackeb
September 15th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Yeah. Calling this rushed is like telling people Rome was built in a day.

Agreed plenty of time has been takin on SGU and I am excited to see what will come from it.

I_haz_a_Cookie
September 15th, 2008, 09:53 PM
How do i know they have rushed it will look at SGA cancelled just like that! few days later BOOM SGU gets green light few weeks after that they say SGU filming is starting in feb 09, not only that they decide to show all 20 episodes so to quickly to end SGA.

pains me so much

ShadowMaat
September 15th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Unless you have an Ent's sense of hasty, then I'm inclined to say that no, BW & co. didn't "rush into" anything. ;)

As I recall quite a bit of time passed between the announcement of Atlantis and the casting details. Almost down to the wire, if I'm remembering the right thing. There's also the possibility that some details are being kept under wraps and while Stargate tends to hemorrhage spoilers, sometimes things are kept silent for a time. :)

Jack_Bauer
September 15th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Whether or not they have rushed it, i dont know.

But if BW has rushed it and has failed to plan things out appropriately, he will be out of a job andhe knows that. While he has been saying the franchise is as strong as it has ever been, he know that this is a risky move and could very well end the franchise for the time being if it flops.

I just hope he knows what he is doing and does some original stuff

Sameera
September 15th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Whether or not they have rushed it, i dont know.

But if BW has rushed it and has failed to plan things out appropriately, he will be out of a job andhe knows that. While he has been saying the franchise is as strong as it has ever been, he know that this is a risky move and could very well end the franchise for the time being if it flops.

I just hope he knows what he is doing and does some original stuff

Agreed

I don't think that they rushed it though. Nearly 2 years since we first heard about it and surely they had put a little thought into it before that. It is also still nearly a year until we will see it. I think they have taken plenty of time to plan this all out and do it properly. With Atlantis they were finishing construction while shooting was going on and as I recall McKay wasn't even cast (or in the show) until the second day of shooting. Seems like they are doing it right and giving themselves a bit more time this trip.

I don't think Atlantis was canceled "just like that". Few things in the corporate world happen that quickly. There is a very good chance that this has been in talks for quite a while, that it has been planned out. It only seems sudden to us because they didn't tell us they were thinking about it before. The fact that the announcements were so close together leads me to think that they had it all worked out already.

Now I just hope that in the near future we get to find out a little bit more of what the new show will be like, or planned to be like.

Khentkawes
September 16th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I agree with the others here. BW has been working on this a long time. Both MGM and Sci-Fi seem to have known about it for a long time as well. I think they're planning carefully.

It just seems fast from the fan perspective because the major news announcements broke within days of each other.

Indeed, and it was no doubt being planned long before that. The recent news that hints were placed in the last season of SG-1 shows that they've had this planned out well.

Hints in SG-1? Clearly I've not been keeping up on my SG news, as I have no idea what you're talking about it. But it sounds cool. ;)

Mike1989
September 16th, 2008, 02:37 AM
I think we also need to consider the fact that they laid foundations in both series for an expansion into the 9th chevron. Can't remember the episode in SG1 but there was use of the 9th chevron and the foundations was put down there. So I suppose they could have had long term plans whether it be with SG1 or Atlantis to expand into the 9th chevron, how the gates came into being placed were they are etc. So I don't think it has been rushed, as some of the things we will get to know in the new series, have been placed in SG1 and Atlantis already. They haven't been expanded upon, just briefly touched upon, but they have probably thought it through and I hope it succeeds and we finally get to see the damn Furlings! lol

But no, I don't think they rushed it, and furthermore I think they are taking the series in the right direction.

Jack_Bauer
September 16th, 2008, 02:54 AM
I think we also need to consider the fact that they laid foundations in both series for an expansion into the 9th chevron. Can't remember the episode in SG1 but there was use of the 9th chevron and the foundations was put down there. So I suppose they could have had long term plans whether it be with SG1 or Atlantis to expand into the 9th chevron, how the gates came into being placed were they are etc. So I don't think it has been rushed, as some of the things we will get to know in the new series, have been placed in SG1 and Atlantis already. They haven't been expanded upon, just briefly touched upon, but they have probably thought it through and I hope it succeeds and we finally get to see the damn Furlings! lol

But no, I don't think they rushed it, and furthermore I think they are taking the series in the right direction.

when did this happen? i dont remember the 9th chevron ever being spoken about in SG1 or Atlantis

Khentkawes
September 16th, 2008, 10:14 AM
when did this happen? i dont remember the 9th chevron ever being spoken about in SG1 or Atlantis

They used the 8th chevron to dial the Asguard galaxy in "The Fifth Race," and I assume that they use the 8th chevron to dial Atlantis (though I don't remember them talking about it). But I think that's it. I don't recall any 9th chevron stuff. I think that's supposed to be new to SGU.

Mike1989
September 16th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Sorry my mistake, didn't realise it was the 8th chevron that was used to dial the asgard home world. Again my mistake about the 9th chevron got it mixed up with the 8th. lol

Infinite-Possibilities
September 16th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I actually have heard about a 9th Chevron, from many years ago somewhere. Possibly from one of their then official websites, or maybe just a fandom site. Either way, I do not think that it was created simply for their latest new show just recently here now.

quade_1
September 16th, 2008, 11:10 PM
SGU has been laid out and planned to the letter over the last couple years. They rushed into Atlantis and among other things, made mistakes, but have learned from them. The Atlantis schedule was planned out long before it was announced as not being renewed or SGU was given the go ahead.

The 9th chevron has never been mentioned or suggested in any SG-1 or Atlantis episode ever. The first 6 chevrons designate the coordinates in space, seventh is PoO, eighth is to travel to another galaxy. SGU will be the first to touch base of the elusive ninth chevron. The only time they would have eluded to 9 chevrons is when you see the gates in space in a couple SG-1 eps and the atlantis space gates.

Why Carson? Why?
September 17th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I believe that they have not rushed but made mistakes with Universe the Plot of the show is just ridiculous to me id rather more movies a year that have SGU on the air

jenks
September 17th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I actually have heard about a 9th Chevron, from many years ago somewhere. Possibly from one of their then official websites, or maybe just a fandom site. Either way, I do not think that it was created simply for their latest new show just recently here now.

The ninth chevron itself has existed since the movie.

Browncoat1984
September 17th, 2008, 10:04 AM
What they should have done is, instead of cancelling Atlantis, left Atlantis on for a sixth and final season...but air Universe at the same time right before it. That way, you get the Atlantis fans possibly tuning into Universe before that, and if Universe doesn't perform well and doesn't make it past year one, then they can just continue with Atlantis and leave it at that. The whole "cancel Atlantis, go into movies, go on with Universe" move was extremely risky, because they can't guarantee that Atlantis DVD's would sell as well as SG-1, that it wouldn't do as well as it did as a regular series, and that Universe would be sucessful or even well-recieved by fans.

That would also kill the "Atlantis was cancelled to make room for Universe" people as well.

Jeff O'Connor
September 17th, 2008, 11:52 AM
What they should have done is, instead of cancelling Atlantis, left Atlantis on for a sixth and final season...but air Universe at the same time right before it. That way, you get the Atlantis fans possibly tuning into Universe before that, and if Universe doesn't perform well and doesn't make it past year one, then they can just continue with Atlantis and leave it at that. The whole "cancel Atlantis, go into movies, go on with Universe" move was extremely risky, because they can't guarantee that Atlantis DVD's would sell as well as SG-1, that it wouldn't do as well as it did as a regular series, and that Universe would be sucessful or even well-recieved by fans.

That would also kill the "Atlantis was cancelled to make room for Universe" people as well.

A lot of people have said that.

And I have been agreeing with every last one of them.

Jackie
September 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I think tptb are burned out and just spinning their wheels...so to speak.

It won't matter how much time they have to plan it if they are burned out and not bringing in new blood.

SGU...the result of every conceivable Stargate plot after it's been rehashed a few time.

I understand what it's like to get burned out. I find I can write in a series format but after a while I need to change gears and break the monotony of writing the same theme over and over again.

I do that by writing different types of stories...not just sci-fi but westerns, mystery and historical fiction.

IMO...BW and RC are both showing signs of burn out and really need to step back from anything stargate for a bit to give themselves a break.

Khentkawes
September 17th, 2008, 05:03 PM
If they were going to run SGA and SGU side by side, then TPTB would be strapped for time and cash. They would also have to abandon any plans for more movies (either SG-1 or SGA) and I don't think they were willing to do that. Plus there is the whole burnout thing that Jackie mentioned, which would be a bigger problem if they were trying to do two shows at once. When they did SG-1 and SGA at the same time, there were lots of comments about how that schedule and pace was not sustainable for them. I don't think they want to be in that situation again.

Trig
September 18th, 2008, 08:33 AM
IMO...BW and RC are both showing signs of burn out and really need to step back from anything stargate for a bit to give themselves a break.

Agree'd, thast why IMHO the writers should do 2 year stints, start off with say BW or RC and someone new, then after a year drop RC/BW and bring in someone else in, then the following year drop the 1st new guy and so on n so forth...
Keeps the blood new...

Jackie
September 18th, 2008, 08:44 AM
If they were going to run SGA and SGU side by side, then TPTB would be strapped for time and cash. They would also have to abandon any plans for more movies (either SG-1 or SGA) and I don't think they were willing to do that. Plus there is the whole burnout thing that Jackie mentioned, which would be a bigger problem if they were trying to do two shows at once. When they did SG-1 and SGA at the same time, there were lots of comments about how that schedule and pace was not sustainable for them. I don't think they want to be in that situation again.

tptb knew they couldn't do both shows from that experience. It was more of a money issue as to why SGU was place front and center now. If SGU wasn't in the works then SGA would probably go to season 8.

Agree'd, thast why IMHO the writers should do 2 year stints, start off with say BW or RC and someone new, then after a year drop RC/BW and bring in someone else in, then the following year drop the 1st new guy and so on n so forth...
Keeps the blood new...

Or bring back gekko who ran the SG-1 till season 8. RDA retiered but there were others in that equation that left with him.

IMO, sg-1 started to suffer when Gekko pulled out. SGA suffered as well but it wasn't apparent till SG-1 was done and SGA got the full effect of the idiocy. Exploding tumors for example! :(

flynn1959
September 18th, 2008, 09:54 AM
No. It just seems like it. Maybe they kept putting off thinking about the scripts or the characters until the night before so they had to quickly throw something together at the last minute.;)

serinianfire
September 18th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Stargate Universe might be worth a watch but Stargate Atlantis is a sure bet. I don't miss an episode. Atlantis is my favorite show. Hearing about the cancellation was incredibly depressing. If Atlantis has been cast aside for Stargate Universe I won't be able to watch it. Can't SciFi run both shows like they did when Atlantis started?

Miroslav
September 19th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Only reason: Greed.

Rosehawk
September 19th, 2008, 07:30 PM
They used the 8th chevron to dial the Asguard galaxy in "The Fifth Race," and I assume that they use the 8th chevron to dial Atlantis (though I don't remember them talking about it). But I think that's it. I don't recall any 9th chevron stuff. I think that's supposed to be new to SGU.

I don't think it made it officially into canon at least not with SGA.

There was a deleted scene in The Shrine where Radek and Rodney were discussing the 9th chevron - David Nykl mentioned this at the Chicago convention this past August when fans asked him why his scene was so short - at the time he didn't know the scene had been cut.