PDA

View Full Version : Please Stay Loyal.

Brewsy
September 14th, 2008, 01:15 PM
hey all,
i know the recent news of atlantis being cancelled has shocked, and angered all of us, and im sure im just as pissed as the rest of you.
but don't let Universe suffer from your anger. don't boycott it. there are several reasons behind it:

1) If you were a true stargate fan, you would accept stargate in every form.
2) "boycotting Universe" would only hurt the franchise in the long run. if MGM and SciFi see that the ratings are low, they may come to the conclusion that the franchise has run down, and will kill off the atlantis movies.

i know i, like all of you, were hoping for at least 1 more season to kind of tie up some loose ends, tell the stories that need to be told, and continue the greatest storyline of all time, but hopefully Atlantis may be renewed in the future. its hopefullness to the point of stupidity, but hey, we can hope.

Col. Tomorian
September 14th, 2008, 02:58 PM
hey all,
i know the recent news of atlantis being cancelled has shocked, and angered all of us, and im sure im just as pissed as the rest of you.
but don't let Universe suffer from your anger. don't boycott it. there are several reasons behind it:

2) "boycotting Universe" would only hurt the franchise in the long run. if MGM and SciFi see that the ratings are low, they may come to the conclusion that the franchise has run down, and will kill off the atlantis movies.

i know i, like all of you, were hoping for at least 1 more season to kind of tie up some loose ends, tell the stories that need to be told, and continue the greatest storyline of all time, but hopefully Atlantis may be renewed in the future. its hopefullness to the point of stupidity, but hey, we can hope. I think what will drive people away from "Stargate: Universe" is the following:

"... What's unique about this [Stargate] chapter is it's going to be set entirely in space. ... That's also an opportunity for us because as Battlestar Galactica reaches a conclusion, it's nice for us to have within the mix of programming a space opera that serves the audience that's really into space operas."
(SCI FI Channel president Dave Howe, in an interview with Multichannel News) Somewhere along the way, science-fiction writters began to believe that scifi fans like "Days of Our Lives". I hate everything about "Battlestar Galactica". I hated the original idea, and I hated the latest version. Why? I hate relationship drama. It's boring, dull, and lackluster. I would rather turn on "Deal-or-No-Deal". Just because it is "Stargate", "StarTrek", or "StarWars" does it mean that it will be good. Space opera stinks. I wanted to like "Battlestar Gallactica". I really did. After I watched the first few episodes, I vowed to never watch another space opera again. "Star Trek: Deep Space 9" was fun and boring. When they adapted the space opera idea, I stopped watching the show all together. They had some great moments, but they were filled with just plain bordome.

I will watch the first few episodes of "Stargate: Universe", curiosity driven, but I vow to myself to never watch another, "Oh my god! Did you see them together last night?" -- "I thought Jimmy was with Karen? Why was he with Barbara?' -- "Wait until Karen gets a load of this." -- "I almost put him into a torpedo tube. I was so mad!" -- "Lets go save the universe!" -- "Stargate away!"

"Did you see the size of his muscles?" -- "Yeah. He was so cute. I could just pinch his cheeks." -- "I hope he picks me over her." -- "Wait! She is in love with Carol?" -- "When did she stop driving stick?" -- "There is the red alert. I will talk to you later." -- "Bye, bye now!"

WingedPegasus
September 14th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I'll watch the first few eps out of curiosity, as Col. Marcus has said.

However, I'd like to point out that just because I'm a devoted gate fan doesn't mean I'm going to watch Stargate: Infinity. :P

Elite Anubis Guard
September 14th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Hell, I brought Infinity for ****s and giggles - even though I did watch the show on SkyOne when it was released. I certainly will be watching Universe. I just hope it doesn't make me want to stop.

metalheart777
September 14th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I feel the same! BSG was just missing something! I tried to make myself like it, but it was no go! If SGU is going to be similar, I won't spend a moment on it. I am going to check it out, but I am definitely a skeptic at this point.

Oh, and just because something has or will have the Stargate tag, that doesn't automatically make it worth watching or even worthy to be part of the franchise. Attitudes like that allow producers/writers/executives to become complacent after they think they have reached their plateau. You can't just throw something called "Stargate Whatever" at me and expect me to support it whether it's good or not.

Also, if the franchise gets hurt in the long run, it will be because of MGM and SciFi, and not the fans' boycott. They should've given SGA a chance to end gracefully! If people boycott SGU for any reason, it should be because they don't want to watch another show that dies a premature death!

~ mh777

ShadowMaat
September 14th, 2008, 03:37 PM
No, a "true Stargate fan" is anyone who says, "Hey, I'm a fan!" The rest is just elitist dogma.

I think fans tend to over-estimate their own importance. I'm relatively sure that even if all the people who say they're going to boycott SGU actually did it (and that is by no means a guaranteed thing) they're just a drop in the bucket of overall viewership, many of whom aren't even online.

It's still an interesting point, though, and one folks should probably bear in mind. Like it or not, SGU is the future of the franchise and if it doesn't pay off big dividends the Suits might reconsider the viability of Stargate as a whole.

Either way it isn't going to save Atlantis. If SGU tanks, that's it. It isn't as if the Suits are going to say, "Oh well, that didn't work so let's bring back Atlantis!" And anyone who seriously believes that will happen is in dire need of a reality check. ;)

...and continue the greatest storyline of all time
LMAO!

Pharaoh Atem
September 14th, 2008, 03:50 PM
i'll watch it ....i don't have a nelson box but i'll still watch it

Alteran of Atlantis
September 14th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I'm definetly going to watch Universe. The only thing that scares me is the "younger audience" thing. I hope they mean for people in their twenties... I have enouch teenage crap in my life, with me actually being a teenager and all.

the fifth man
September 14th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I fully intend on giving SGU a shot. I've enjoyed what TPTB have given us on SG-1, SGA, and the two SG-1 movies, so why should I think Universe will be any different?

Fan-e-Gate
September 14th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I have watched all forms of Stargate since they started.
But I realised a while back that it was just a happy coincidence that SG-1 and Atlantis were shows I found enjoyable and had the term "Stargate" in front of them.
I will watch Universe but not because I need to prove that I am a real true fan.

Earthgate Ricky
September 14th, 2008, 06:43 PM
That's reason I watch Stargate: Dr. McKay and Dr. Beckett.

If SU have doctors like Rodney or Carson, I will take it so slowly to like him unless SciFi screw up the script to kill him off, I am struck with Stargate Atlantis.

SylvreWolfe
September 14th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Why would I stay loyal to people who are not loyal to me??

Sameera
September 14th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I intend to give SGU an honest chance.

I personally think the idea of boycotting is rather silly to say the least. Do people really understand the amount of viewers that they would have to turn away in order to get the people at the top to even notice or care that there is a boycott? The largest effect would probably be on DVD sales, in which case you might succeed in reducing their profits by maybe a couple of %.

Most viewers aren't the people you see on these forums or at the conventions. The ones like us are the exception, we aren't the average viewer and even at that not even all of us are considering a boycott.

For starters the ones that will matter to SciFi are the people who are in the US watching stargate. This is where they get their ratings from, this is what determines the CPM that they get to charge for advertising. The folks in the rest of the world will matter mostly only to MGM. Lower viewer ratings in the rest of the world would effect the other networks who buy from MGM thus effecting what they would be willing to pay MGM for the show. Other than that it is all about DVD sales and product licenses.

So, lets just say for example the people who want to boycott do a good job and get 100 thousand or so people to stand up and say "we will not watch SGU when it airs". Congratulations but umm, just how many people watch stargate on a global scale? How many people in the US alone? How big of a dent have you really made? Well in DVD sales it would be noticeable but in network advertisement, not so much. It might matter if you got all of those people in the US but still probably not enough for the suits to worry a whole lot. If those people are spread out around the world the impact would be even less.

ASAKATA
September 14th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I'm going to watch Stargate: Universe because I love everything about Stargate. I have a feeling that it will only be better. Think about it, being so far from this galaxy, the new team will probably run into all kinds of alien life forms. There aren't any humans out there, at least I don't think so. Should be interesting. But I would be extremely angry if they did not go on and make Atlantis and SG1 movies anymore, that would be dumb.

Jeff O'Connor
September 14th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I think fans tend to over-estimate their own importance. I'm relatively sure that even if all the people who say they're going to boycott SGU actually did it (and that is by no means a guaranteed thing) they're just a drop in the bucket of overall viewership, many of whom aren't even online.

Bingo!

Mike1989
September 15th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I won't be boycotting it as there is no point. At the end of the day we are all Stargate fans, and we all want to see good Stargate episodes. I have seen tons of people praise Atlantis and SG1, but by that same notion I have also seen a lot of people bash both series and the SG1 movies. So at the end of the day we can't blame Sci-fi for bringing abot the end of Atlantis, and we can't go and say we'll boycott the next show. As that would hurt the Stargate franchise, it would likely end and we would have to find another TV program to watch.

As lets face it, we all know Atlantis had its problems and its critics. Therefore it was only a matter of time before it got canceled. I was a big fan of it, but even I saw potential downfalls in the series and potential parts were the guys and girls in suits would soon enough end it. Likewise SG1 people complained about no Jack, it wasn't like the previous 8 series. Well ask yourselves was series 8 as good as the previous 7 and my answer to that would be no. Whose fault is that? The writers, not sci-fi. Likewise, Atlantis' problems are not because of sci-fi but the writers killing off characters and repeating already seen storylines but in a different location.

So for me, I will be watching Universe and hoping it succeeds because I enjoy watching Stargate. Like a lot of you guys and girls. So a boycott, its unlikely but even if some fans say we'll never watch that won't stop the series. Because if it does catch the BSG fans, or even the main stream non-sci fi fans. It probably won't matter that much if they watch or not. What will kill the show, or end the show, is the writers. If it works, itwill probably stay around for a while. If it doesn't, and gets repetitive, it will end in a season or two.

BSG is a very good show, admitted at times it can be hard to watch but when it gets going it is a very good show. One of my favourites, hate the fact I have to wait till next year to see the second half of the final series, but hey I got Atlantis to cover that, maybe even Lost.

Skydiver
September 15th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Folks

Express your opinions and make your points without descending into the 'true fan' or 'real fan' rubbish

A fan is a fan.

Aer'ki
September 15th, 2008, 04:08 AM
How can you be a loyal fan and not be ticked by the cancellation of SGA?

How can you be a loyal fan and not be upset with the premise of SGU?

How can you be a loyal fan and not be upset with the idiodic idea of what the 9th chevron is for?

I am loyal to the real stargate, and while I'm not opposed to there being an SGU...I don't want this SGU.

Pharaoh Atem
September 15th, 2008, 04:23 AM

How can you be a loyal fan and not be upset with the idiodic idea of what the 9th chevron is for?

I am loyal to the real stargate, and while I'm not opposed to there being an SGU...I don't want this SGU.

i am upset but i understand that tv is a busy and MGM and scifi did what they felt was right to keep the series around

what's wrong with the premise of the series???? if anything i'm looking forward to the new concept as a fan of both prevous series a change could do the franchise a little good

were you expecting it to eject cows from the gate when activated ??? at least the producers are going to be able tell a prevous unknown part of the series that is new and exceiting.

stargate is many things ....it is about exploring the galaxy and meeting new people and learning about ourselves. what better way then to do that then going to a part of the universe we've never been to before???

Col. Tomorian
September 15th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Quoted for emphasis!

I feel the same! BSG was just missing something! I tried to make myself like it, but it was no go! If SGU is going to be similar, I won't spend a moment on it. I am going to check it out, but I am definitely a skeptic at this point.

Oh, and just because something has or will have the Stargate tag, that doesn't automatically make it worth watching or even worthy to be part of the franchise. Attitudes like that allow producers/writers/executives to become complacent after they think they have reached their plateau. You can't just throw something called "Stargate Whatever" at me and expect me to support it whether it's good or not.

Also, if the franchise gets hurt in the long run, it will be because of MGM and SciFi, and not the fans' boycott. They should've given SGA a chance to end gracefully! If people boycott SGU for any reason, it should be because they don't want to watch another show that dies a premature death!

~ mh777 Quoted for emphasis!
:indeed:

jelgate
September 15th, 2008, 07:49 AM
were you expecting it to eject cows from the gate when activated ??? at least the producers are going to be able tell a prevous unknown part of the series that is new and exceiting.

We could solve world hunger. In all seriousness, I agree with Atem. I'm sad that a chapter of Stargate is closing. Atlantis has had its up and its downs. However we don't want the franchise to go down the same road of Trek where the premises are carbon copies of a previous series. While I do agree and sympathize that SGA was cancelled to early, the new area that SGU is investgating sound interesting

hamatau'ri
September 15th, 2008, 08:06 AM

~ mh777

I agree! The Stargate franchise was nearly damaged with the harsh ending of Stargate SG-1's dreadful finale Unending in Season 10, although even though everyone thought it should have ended at Season 8 (not including Moebius), seasons 9 and 10 paved way for Atlantis' success ("Moebius", "Avalon", "Crusade", "Off The Grid", "Pegasus Project", etc). Unfortunately, they haven't done the same thing with Universe. That is disappointing. While we're on the subject, since Sci-Fi Friday is going to be a bit dry now, imagine if they brought back SG-1 and Atlantis and start Universe! Three! After all, it is the magic number!

Tri_rule
September 15th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Errr....No offence but a Few Atlantis Fanatics from Gateworld are hardly gonna Stop Stargate universe being put into production Bearing in mind that The fans from gateworld only make up a Small percentage of all Stargate Fans (Casual and errr...ALOT more than casual) Worldwide.

Alteran of Atlantis
September 15th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Errr....No offence but a Few Atlantis Fanatics from Gateworld are hardly gonna Stop Stargate universe being put into production Bearing in mind that The fans from gateworld only make up a Small percentage of all Stargate Fans (Casual and errr...ALOT more than casual) Worldwide.

Totally agree. While I do classify myself as an "Atlantis Fanatic" I'm still excited and optimistic about Universe. I look forward to Friday nights this year, and I'll look forward to Friday nights in summer 2009!

While we're on the subject, since Sci-Fi Friday is going to be a bit dry now, imagine if they brought back SG-1 and Atlantis and start Universe! Three! After all, it is the magic number!

Oh, I wish!

Jack_Bauer
September 15th, 2008, 10:45 PM
hey all,

i know i, like all of you, were hoping for at least 1 more season to kind of tie up some loose ends, tell the stories that need to be told, and continue the greatest storyline of all time, but hopefully Atlantis may be renewed in the future. its hopefullness to the point of stupidity, but hey, we can hope.

1) how dare you, who are u to define whether I am a true fan or not? The fans 'true' or not, are being treated like dirt, and here you are telling us to accept it.

2) TPTB that be have been hurting the franchise for a couple of years now, not fans boycotting it, who have done nothing but support the franchise.

Sameera
September 15th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I would be interested to know just how it is that you feel that the fans have been treated like dirt.

While I am not a "fan" by definition (few of us are) I do not feel that I have been treated like dirt. I don't think that Brewsy was trying to define you are anyone else around here as a "true" fan or not. S/he did however point out the truth of the word by definition and what it would really take to meet that definition. To throw out the definition of the word would be the same as me saying that I am purple in color. Well I am, I may not meet the definition of purple but we are now allowing ourselves to choose how we wish to define words just to meet our ends. Today I feel like being different so now I am purple. Ridiculous is it not, I suppose that is why we have these little rules and definitions.

It doesn't really matter if we accept what the people in charge our doing. We can not force them to change their minds, all we can do is complain and in the end find something else to watch. Accept it or not that is what we will have to do, unless of course one of us is able to buy the rights to SGA from MGM and front the money in order to have it made the way we wish. Short of that we can't force them to do anything.

Number 2 is a mixture of opinion and a contradiction in terms. The franchise being hurt is opinion, possibly one that may be backed by numbers but even then you could just as easily find those who think it has gotten better. How good a show is will differ depending on who is watching. Fans boycotting and supporting at the same time, I am not even sure how such a thing works. How does refusing to watch the show, buy the DVDs, attend the conventions or buy anything else related constitute supporting it? That is similar to saying that I will support the Make a Wish foundation but never speak to them, never take part in any event that they put on and never give any money to them. Well I will let the people reading determine just how much sense that makes.

Khentkawes
September 16th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Somewhere along the way, science-fiction writters began to believe that scifi fans like "Days of Our Lives". I hate everything about "Battlestar Galactica". I hated the original idea, and I hated the latest version. Why? I hate relationship drama. It's boring, dull, and lackluster. I would rather turn on "Deal-or-No-Deal". Just because it is "Stargate", "StarTrek", or "StarWars" does it mean that it will be good. Space opera stinks. I wanted to like "Battlestar Gallactica". I really did. After I watched the first few episodes, I vowed to never watch another space opera again. "Star Trek: Deep Space 9" was fun and boring. When they adapted the space opera idea, I stopped watching the show all together. They had some great moments, but they were filled with just plain bordome.

I will watch the first few episodes of "Stargate: Universe", curiosity driven, but I vow to myself to never watch another, "Oh my god! Did you see them together last night?" -- "I thought Jimmy was with Karen? Why was he with Barbara?' -- "Wait until Karen gets a load of this." -- "I almost put him into a torpedo tube. I was so mad!" -- "Lets go save the universe!" -- "Stargate away!"

Before assuming that "space opera" equals "soap opera," please look up Space Opera on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera). Space Opera is "romantic" in the medieval sense. That is, it is characterized by adventure stories, chivalric themes, and occasionally larger-than-life heroes who are faced with seemingly impossible odds. Space Opera emphasizes grand-scale, epic story-lines. It is not necessarily cheesy romance and love triangles. This seems to be a common misconception (perhaps because BSG was both Space Opera and Soap Opera).

At any rate, I do understand that a lot of people are upset and feel that the fans were betrayed. But I don't feel betrayed, and I personally figure that TPTB (including the oft-criticized "writers") have produced two shows that I enjoyed watching. Why should I expect less from their third show?

I think it'll be cool. And I'm excited to watch and see exactly how cool it will be. :D

Jack_Bauer
September 16th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I would be interested to know just how it is that you feel that the fans have been treated like dirt.

While I am not a "fan" by definition (few of us are) I do not feel that I have been treated like dirt. I don't think that Brewsy was trying to define you are anyone else around here as a "true" fan or not. S/he did however point out the truth of the word by definition and what it would really take to meet that definition. To throw out the definition of the word would be the same as me saying that I am purple in color. Well I am, I may not meet the definition of purple but we are now allowing ourselves to choose how we wish to define words just to meet our ends. Today I feel like being different so now I am purple. Ridiculous is it not, I suppose that is why we have these little rules and definitions.

It doesn't really matter if we accept what the people in charge our doing. We can not force them to change their minds, all we can do is complain and in the end find something else to watch. Accept it or not that is what we will have to do, unless of course one of us is able to buy the rights to SGA from MGM and front the money in order to have it made the way we wish. Short of that we can't force them to do anything.

Number 2 is a mixture of opinion and a contradiction in terms. The franchise being hurt is opinion, possibly one that may be backed by numbers but even then you could just as easily find those who think it has gotten better. How good a show is will differ depending on who is watching. Fans boycotting and supporting at the same time, I am not even sure how such a thing works. How does refusing to watch the show, buy the DVDs, attend the conventions or buy anything else related constitute supporting it? That is similar to saying that I will support the Make a Wish foundation but never speak to them, never take part in any event that they put on and never give any money to them. Well I will let the people reading determine just how much sense that makes.

so....... your purple?

Sameera
September 16th, 2008, 01:52 AM
so....... your purple?

Yes, I am now purple.

I just needed a color that couldn't really be construed as racist and would have that slightly ridiculous sound to it. That's why I didn't go with blue, just didn't sound as good.

Just trying to avoid those folks who shout racism a bit early considering that if any of them actually knew me they would know how difficult that would be. I would have to hate my own family for that sort of stuff, hmm, my wife is of a different race and a different religion, I must really hate her too. Just isn't worth getting into an argument with someone who is overly offended by something being said when they don't even begin to understand my real position on it.

If i'm going to argue about something on here it might almost want to be related to stargate, the people running stargate, a term used in an argument about stargate or something else as such. Not what my views may be concerning any race, religion, nationality, what ever else fits into such a category. I may argue with someone about something but I don't hate anyone here or anyone anywhere (barring a few exceptions for those who commit acts that can only be described as horrendous, but that has little to do with race, religion or anything as such). I just type out what I think on a subject or a post at a given time, my view may change and my later post may reflect that, we are human. I do happen to believe that some arguments do tend to need a bit of logic injected in them and that on occasion some folks just need a good ol fashioned "slap on the face" as my commander used to say. In this context I use slap on the face to mean they may need a harsh reply or a strong opposing view for one reason or another.

Well I suppose none of that really matters, not sure anyone cares why I post the way I do much of the time and for all I know I could very well be wrong and the one in need of a "slap on the face". I suppose all of that is for someone else to judge. In any case I am getting more than a bit off topic and I am not certain that I have much to add at this particular point.

Good day to you.

Jack_Bauer
September 16th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Yes, I am now purple.

I just needed a color that couldn't really be construed as racist and would have that slightly ridiculous sound to it. That's why I didn't go with blue, just didn't sound as good.

Just trying to avoid those folks who shout racism a bit early considering that if any of them actually knew me they would know how difficult that would be. I would have to hate my own family for that sort of stuff, hmm, my wife is of a different race and a different religion, I must really hate her too. Just isn't worth getting into an argument with someone who is overly offended by something being said when they don't even begin to understand my real position on it.

If i'm going to argue about something on here it might almost want to be related to stargate, the people running stargate, a term used in an argument about stargate or something else as such. Not what my views may be concerning any race, religion, nationality, what ever else fits into such a category. I may argue with someone about something but I don't hate anyone here or anyone anywhere (barring a few exceptions for those who commit acts that can only be described as horrendous, but that has little to do with race, religion or anything as such). I just type out what I think on a subject or a post at a given time, my view may change and my later post may reflect that, we are human. I do happen to believe that some arguments do tend to need a bit of logic injected in them and that on occasion some folks just need a good ol fashioned "slap on the face" as my commander used to say. In this context I use slap on the face to mean they may need a harsh reply or a strong opposing view for one reason or another.

Well I suppose none of that really matters, not sure anyone cares why I post the way I do much of the time and for all I know I could very well be wrong and the one in need of a "slap on the face". I suppose all of that is for someone else to judge. In any case I am getting more than a bit off topic and I am not certain that I have much to add at this particular point.

Good day to you.

ummmm, i was joking.......

Fan-e-Gate
September 16th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I love how my post was deleted when I questioned someone's definition of a fan/fanatic as being too rigid and shortsighted. I found it offensive that someone could pidgeonhole me without even knowing abything about me. My reply was not offensive. Maybe it was antagonistic.

Regardless a day after my post was deleted, this debate is still occurring and defeats the purpose of my post being deleted.

Jack_Bauer
September 16th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I love how my post was deleted when I questioned someone's definition of a fan/fanatic as being too rigid and shortsighted. I found it offensive that someone could pidgeonhole me without even knowing abything about me. My reply was not offensive. Maybe it was antagonistic.

Regardless a day after my post was deleted, this debate is still occurring and defeats the purpose of my post being deleted.

lol yeah u get that...

it's kind of like this essay i wrote for uni about police discretion, it makes for un inconsistent system...

Mike1989
September 16th, 2008, 02:29 AM

Quite easily actually. Atlantis was my first experience of Stargate and I loved it, but it had its problems and you got to see them more over the seasons. They got rid of popular characters, they tried to change things too much. They made things more dark and this was actually a good call, but they tried too hard. Put bluntly, they tried too hard to make Atlantis great and it has cost them. So I am a fan of the series as I like watching it, but I can't blame the network for canceling the show when it was pulling huge ratings and wasn't as consistent as SG1.

I suppose SGU sounds a bit like Star Trek with it being based on a ship, but lets face it, Atlantis is suffering and has suffered because they are doing the same thing again and again. SG1 was great, they could go and explore new planets but as it got into the later seasons we were going, haven't we seen an episode like this before? And we have been doing it with Atlantis. I was doing it last week when I was watching it on Sky One. I was like haven't I seen an episode slightly like this before, go back in time etc. Week before haven't I seen the characters trapped in a location only to escape and go on a mission to save someone?

The answer was yes in both cases, and that is my point. You can be a bit worried about the premise of SGU but you also have to consider, would creating another series were its explore this planet, get in trouble and escape, waken an enemy and beat it be a worthwhile venture? Would it be worth getting rid of Atlantis and SG1 only to replace it with another show that is the same but with a different name?

No, it would not. So sure, the premise has its plus points and negatives. But they are taking the series in a new direction which it needs if it is to continue.

Again they are trying to take the series in a new direction, furthermore they are trying to change things. As I mentioned in the above answer to your question, another series were they do the same missions as SG1 and Atlantis will get boring real quick. It wouldn't make sense allowing it to be put on our screens as they might as well stick with Atlantis. So sure it might be a silly idea to some, but for me, it is the new beginning of the Stargate franchise which will hopefully take it forwards.

I personally don't understand why you wouldn't want this SGU. Admitted it has its plus points and its negative points. But lets face it, bringing in SGU was a replacement to SG1 based in the SGC, exploring new worlds through the 9th chevron. Unleashing a new enemy which has all the advantages only to beat it at the end of the day will not appeal again. They did it with Atlantis and it worked at first with it being a cool character in the Wraith but they didn't drive it through like they did with the Goa'uld.

You are right to worry about how SGU will play out, how long it will last and how it will effect the Stargate franchise. But we need to realise that the franchise needs a kick up the arse and something new needs to happen. This is that something and it hopefully will be good for the series and take it on in a new direction, and one which we all can enjoy. Fan or not.

CazzBlade
September 16th, 2008, 02:58 AM

That's true, online fans won't impact on the ratings but it is the online fans who buy the DVD's, the merchandise and go to the conventions so MGM will be losing out that way by online fans not watching or caring about SGU.

JadedWraith
September 16th, 2008, 03:05 AM

I can't say I don't want this SGU because I haven't seen it, yet.
The premises of more character development and set for a young(er) audience makes me cringe a little because the idea of OC in space isn't appealing. Or a space soap opera. I hope their idea of relationships between the characters isn't who is sleeping with whom this week. 'cause ,although that is a natural part of life so are taxes...who wants to see a show about tax returns in space?

I want to reserve my judgement until I actually see it...but I fear the parts I loved the best about the stargate franchise are slowly disappearing: the clash of cultures and the ethical questions that resonate on our current reality. Much of that content was already stripped from Atlantis or poorly handled. Perhaps these issues are considered outdated. Or we lost the courage to challenge our own views though pop culture. I hope they keep the humour and the ability to laugh at their own franchise.
Let's wait and see.

People often ask me why will I miss Atlantis so bad if I am always criticizing it. There is a simple reason. Long time ago I read this stupid sentence:
Sex is like pizza: even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.
The same goes for the Stargate franchise. ;)
I hope SGU rises to level of gourmet pizza.

Jack_Bauer
September 16th, 2008, 03:09 AM
^^^lol taxes in space, is it troubling i can see TPTB putting this in?

Arica15
September 16th, 2008, 03:42 AM
If it's a good show then people will watch.

If it's rubbish people won't watch.

Loyalty has nothing to do with it. I can't stand CSI but enjoy CSI Miami and can take or leave CSI New York, I judge each show on it's merits and I think that's the best 'loyalty' anyone can show to any television show, be it part of a franchise or a stand alone.

Just now Universe sounds awful and I doubt I'll be tuning in because I don't think it sounds good, that may change as I hear more about it, I won't be ruling anything in or out just yet but watching something just because it has the Stargate tag to it, er, no. I'm afraid there's no such thing as a free ride

kymeric
September 16th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I judge the stargate franchise by my immediate familys reaction to it. Im alittle fanatical so its nice to run it by john q public to get a normal reaction. For instance when i described the Asurans on SGA they said OHHHH REPLICATORS! While some hardcore fans were all boooo replicators. And given ratings and the reception i think my fam was a more realistic.

When i explained the SGU concept they were very excited, especially at the planned regular nonhuman cgi aliens. Something REALLY alien, not just gills on an actor.

This i think is loyalty, the average fan who goes "!!!!!!!" at the basic premise of Universe and plans to stick around for it regardless of sgas cancellation.

stargatefan234
September 16th, 2008, 07:39 AM

I prefer the term "Francise Fan" which was coined on the podcast (sorry boys, i cant remember if it was David or Darren) meaning that we will give any stargate show a fair viewing.

i watched a few episodes of infinety, didn't like it havent watched it since.

so please don't "boycott" SGU, give it a couple of episodes, and then, if you don't like it dont watch it, but dont say "i'm not going to watch it" without giving it it's fair chance. i think anyone saying now that they wont watch SGU has not given it this chance. what for the first three episodes to air, and if you don't like it, dont watch it

When i explained the SGU concept they were very excited, especially at the planned regular nonhuman cgi aliens. Something REALLY alien, not just gills on an actor.

planned non human GCI regular? What?

kymeric
September 16th, 2008, 08:02 AM
[QUOTE=Brewsy;8931868]
1) If you were a true stargate fan, you would accept stargate in every form.QUOTE]

I prefer the term "Francise Fan" which was coined on the podcast (sorry boys, i cant remember if it was David or Darren) meaning that we will give any stargate show a fair viewing.

so please don't "boycott" SGU, give it a couple of episodes, and then, if you don't like it dont watch it, but dont say "i'm not going to watch it" without giving it it's fair chance. i think anyone saying now that they wont watch SGU has not given it this chance. what for the first three episodes to air, and if you don't like it, dont watch it

planned non human GCI regular? What?

Articles said theyre in regions of space humans or ancients have never been to and alien aliens. lol?

GhostPoet
September 16th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I hate how they are ending Atlantis. But on the other hand...the concept of Universe sounds really interesting. So I plan to watch it.

prion
September 16th, 2008, 11:26 AM

"Franchise fan" sounds like what TPTB want. Fans who will watch anything with 'Stargate' in the name, which isn't an insult, but just a fact of marketing. It's like when they made Star Trek, they made many incarnations. Some worked, some didn't. Each attracted a segment of fandom but most importantly the casual viewer. The thing with Stargate is that for many fans, it's the *characters* that draw them in. Stamping "Stargate" into the title isn't going to do a thing unless the characters are enticing and the writing is new (there are many SG1 plots I hope they do NOT retread as they've done them enough).

Boycotting only works if your boycott is measurable. If you're a Nielsen family, then you've got power. However, SciFi will lose viewers as there are many fans who got the channel specifically to watch SGA or SG1.

I'll try out the first episode at least, to see what it's about. A lot will depend on the casting and writing. If it turns into another "Starlost," I'm outta there.

sg1psychopath
September 16th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I'm going to give it a try, certainly. Hopefully they won't turn it into a Battlestar Galactica (a little boring, and pretty depressing) or Deep Space 9 (boring) type show. If they keep the balance between action, storyline, with a bit of character development, I'll be happy. But I guess time will tell. I'm trying to be positive about it, but I'm not perfectly convinced.

Linda06
September 16th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Loyalty goes both ways...They weren't loyal to the stargate fans so why should i stay loyal to them....So no i will not be watching SGU.....At the ripe old age of 35 i'm too old,remember :p

ruach
September 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM

How? By understanding that just because one series ends it doesn't mean the whol franchise needs to fold

As I haven't even seen the first episode I won't judge the premise.

Why should the explanation of the 9th Chevron be any stanger than the rest?

Loyal to the real Stargate? You mean the movie because that is the original. Everything else is a "re-imagining" which will either suck or be OK or be superb. It all depends on execution.

DrGemini2405
September 16th, 2008, 12:31 PM
hey all,

No, that isn't being a fan. That's being a mindless lunatic susceptible to the power of suggestion. Just because something is branded 'Stargate', it doesn't guarantee quality; Stargate: Infinity, for instance (no offence to anyone who did like that series, btw; it just didn't get me).

And there's always the chance that they'll see the light and renew the series, because that's what the fans want, and the fans are the ones watching the shows, and buying the merchandise and DVDs. The movie, like the SG-1 movies, is the lesser of two evils (the bigger evil being a total cancellation), compared to a continuation of the series.

Humans have freewill for a reason. If you want to watch everything that's branded Stargate, fine, that's your choice, but don't try to guilt-trip people into supporting a franchise which evidently does not support its up-'til-now relatively loyal fanbase.

The success of the movie will not necessarily lead to a renewal of the series. Look at SG-1. They said that if AoT and Continuum were successful, they would continue making movies, telling the story in that format as opposed to a renewal of the series. No sign or hint of an eleventh season.

tptb do not respect us, we who have watched their creations, bought the DVDs and videos, bought the merchandise, been to cons, etc. If it wasn't for us, SG-1 and Atlantis wouldn't have lasted for as long as it did. They disrespected us and took us for granted, and are now having a new series aimed at a 'younger' audience, and presumably the BSG crowd. This isn't Stargate. The initial premise of the Stargate franchise itself is a band of close-knit explorers going through the Stargate on-foot. The on-foot thing is important here. It allowed us as viewers to follow them through the Stargate on their adventures; it helped us feel closer to the characters themselves and at times feel as part of the team. Even in the later seasons of SG-1 and Atlantis where they have the Trek-ish Space Operas, the Stargate is not forgotten.

: )

PeteJ
September 16th, 2008, 01:55 PM
No, that isn't being a fan. That's being a mindless lunatic susceptible the power of suggestion. Just because something is branded 'Stargate', it doesn't guarantee quality

Yeah, lots of that going on with season 5 of Atlantis;

http://www.gateworld.net/cgi-bin/stargatepoll_atls5.cgi?what=results&q=6

http://www.gateworld.net/cgi-bin/stargatepoll_atls5.cgi?what=results&q=2

http://www.gateworld.net/cgi-bin/stargatepoll_atls5.cgi?what=results&q=0

http://www.gateworld.net/cgi-bin/stargatepoll_atls5.cgi?what=results&q=3

http://www.gateworld.net/cgi-bin/stargatepoll_atls5.cgi?what=results&q=4