X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Stay Loyal.

hey all,
    i know the recent news of atlantis being cancelled has shocked, and angered all of us, and im sure im just as pissed as the rest of you.
    but don't let Universe suffer from your anger. don't boycott it. there are several reasons behind it:

1) If you were a true stargate fan, you would accept stargate in every form.
    2) "boycotting Universe" would only hurt the franchise in the long run. if MGM and SciFi see that the ratings are low, they may come to the conclusion that the franchise has run down, and will kill off the atlantis movies.

i know i, like all of you, were hoping for at least 1 more season to kind of tie up some loose ends, tell the stories that need to be told, and continue the greatest storyline of all time, but hopefully Atlantis may be renewed in the future. its hopefullness to the point of stupidity, but hey, we can hope.

Originally posted by Brewsy View Post
    hey all,
    i know the recent news of atlantis being cancelled has shocked, and angered all of us, and im sure im just as pissed as the rest of you.
    but don't let Universe suffer from your anger. don't boycott it. there are several reasons behind it:

2) "boycotting Universe" would only hurt the franchise in the long run. if MGM and SciFi see that the ratings are low, they may come to the conclusion that the franchise has run down, and will kill off the atlantis movies.

i know i, like all of you, were hoping for at least 1 more season to kind of tie up some loose ends, tell the stories that need to be told, and continue the greatest storyline of all time, but hopefully Atlantis may be renewed in the future. its hopefullness to the point of stupidity, but hey, we can hope.
    I think what will drive people away from "Stargate: Universe" is the following:
    "... What's unique about this [Stargate] chapter is it's going to be set entirely in space. ... That's also an opportunity for us because as Battlestar Galactica reaches a conclusion, it's nice for us to have within the mix of programming a space opera that serves the audience that's really into space operas."
    (SCI FI Channel president Dave Howe, in an interview with Multichannel News)
    Somewhere along the way, science-fiction writters began to believe that scifi fans like "Days of Our Lives". I hate everything about "Battlestar Galactica". I hated the original idea, and I hated the latest version. Why? I hate relationship drama. It's boring, dull, and lackluster. I would rather turn on "Deal-or-No-Deal". Just because it is "Stargate", "StarTrek", or "StarWars" does it mean that it will be good. Space opera stinks. I wanted to like "Battlestar Gallactica". I really did. After I watched the first few episodes, I vowed to never watch another space opera again. "Star Trek: Deep Space 9" was fun and boring. When they adapted the space opera idea, I stopped watching the show all together. They had some great moments, but they were filled with just plain bordome.

I will watch the first few episodes of "Stargate: Universe", curiosity driven, but I vow to myself to never watch another, "Oh my god! Did you see them together last night?" -- "I thought Jimmy was with Karen? Why was he with Barbara?' -- "Wait until Karen gets a load of this." -- "I almost put him into a torpedo tube. I was so mad!" -- "Lets go save the universe!" -- "Stargate away!"

"Did you see the size of his muscles?" -- "Yeah. He was so cute. I could just pinch his cheeks." -- "I hope he picks me over her." -- "Wait! She is in love with Carol?" -- "When did she stop driving stick?" -- "There is the red alert. I will talk to you later." -- "Bye, bye now!"
    Last edited by Col. Tomorian; 14 September 2008, 03:11 PM.

Comment

I'll watch the first few eps out of curiosity, as Col. Marcus has said.

However, I'd like to point out that just because I'm a devoted gate fan doesn't mean I'm going to watch Stargate: Infinity.
      || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Hell, I brought Infinity for ****s and giggles - even though I did watch the show on SkyOne when it was released. I certainly will be watching Universe. I just hope it doesn't make me want to stop.
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

I feel the same! BSG was just missing something! I tried to make myself like it, but it was no go! If SGU is going to be similar, I won't spend a moment on it. I am going to check it out, but I am definitely a skeptic at this point.

Oh, and just because something has or will have the Stargate tag, that doesn't automatically make it worth watching or even worthy to be part of the franchise. Attitudes like that allow producers/writers/executives to become complacent after they think they have reached their plateau. You can't just throw something called "Stargate Whatever" at me and expect me to support it whether it's good or not.

Also, if the franchise gets hurt in the long run, it will be because of MGM and SciFi, and not the fans' boycott. They should've given SGA a chance to end gracefully! If people boycott SGU for any reason, it should be because they don't want to watch another show that dies a premature death!

~ mh777
          "You heard me! I said KREE!"

www.heliosaga.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brewsy View Post
            No, a "true Stargate fan" is anyone who says, "Hey, I'm a fan!" The rest is just elitist dogma.

I think fans tend to over-estimate their own importance. I'm relatively sure that even if all the people who say they're going to boycott SGU actually did it (and that is by no means a guaranteed thing) they're just a drop in the bucket of overall viewership, many of whom aren't even online.

It's still an interesting point, though, and one folks should probably bear in mind. Like it or not, SGU is the future of the franchise and if it doesn't pay off big dividends the Suits might reconsider the viability of Stargate as a whole.

Either way it isn't going to save Atlantis. If SGU tanks, that's it. It isn't as if the Suits are going to say, "Oh well, that didn't work so let's bring back Atlantis!" And anyone who seriously believes that will happen is in dire need of a reality check.

...and continue the greatest storyline of all time
            LMAO!

Comment

i'll watch it ....i don't have a nelson box but i'll still watch it
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I'm definetly going to watch Universe. The only thing that scares me is the "younger audience" thing. I hope they mean for people in their twenties... I have enouch teenage crap in my life, with me actually being a teenager and all.

Comment

I fully intend on giving SGU a shot. I've enjoyed what TPTB have given us on SG-1, SGA, and the two SG-1 movies, so why should I think Universe will be any different?
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I have watched all forms of Stargate since they started.
                    But I realised a while back that it was just a happy coincidence that SG-1 and Atlantis were shows I found enjoyable and had the term "Stargate" in front of them.
                    I will watch Universe but not because I need to prove that I am a real true fan.

Comment

That's reason I watch Stargate: Dr. McKay and Dr. Beckett.

If SU have doctors like Rodney or Carson, I will take it so slowly to like him unless SciFi screw up the script to kill him off, I am struck with Stargate Atlantis.

Comment

Why would I stay loyal to people who are not loyal to me??

Comment

I intend to give SGU an honest chance.

I personally think the idea of boycotting is rather silly to say the least. Do people really understand the amount of viewers that they would have to turn away in order to get the people at the top to even notice or care that there is a boycott? The largest effect would probably be on DVD sales, in which case you might succeed in reducing their profits by maybe a couple of %.

Most viewers aren't the people you see on these forums or at the conventions. The ones like us are the exception, we aren't the average viewer and even at that not even all of us are considering a boycott.

For starters the ones that will matter to SciFi are the people who are in the US watching stargate. This is where they get their ratings from, this is what determines the CPM that they get to charge for advertising. The folks in the rest of the world will matter mostly only to MGM. Lower viewer ratings in the rest of the world would effect the other networks who buy from MGM thus effecting what they would be willing to pay MGM for the show. Other than that it is all about DVD sales and product licenses.

So, lets just say for example the people who want to boycott do a good job and get 100 thousand or so people to stand up and say "we will not watch SGU when it airs". Congratulations but umm, just how many people watch stargate on a global scale? How many people in the US alone? How big of a dent have you really made? Well in DVD sales it would be noticeable but in network advertisement, not so much. It might matter if you got all of those people in the US but still probably not enough for the suits to worry a whole lot. If those people are spread out around the world the impact would be even less.

Comment

I'm going to watch Stargate: Universe because I love everything about Stargate. I have a feeling that it will only be better. Think about it, being so far from this galaxy, the new team will probably run into all kinds of alien life forms. There aren't any humans out there, at least I don't think so. Should be interesting. But I would be extremely angry if they did not go on and make Atlantis and SG1 movies anymore, that would be dumb.
                            "I didnt see you in church last sunday, were you there?"
                            "Yes, I was there."
                            "Oi, I didn't see you, I was juss worry apout you"
                            "Is dat your chob?! You sit and coun da beople in the churg and not in da churg"
                            "No I was chus wondring"
                            "Maybe if I win the Lotto Ill make heaps of money and puy you a life"

Comment

I think fans tend to over-estimate their own importance. I'm relatively sure that even if all the people who say they're going to boycott SGU actually did it (and that is by no means a guaranteed thing) they're just a drop in the bucket of overall viewership, many of whom aren't even online.
                              Bingo!
                              If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Working...
                              X