This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So im reading this book...

In the library im bored so i flip through this book. And its about mythological floods like in the bible and other myths and ties it to cometary impact sites from 10,000 years ago. I got to thinking it might make a good SGA story. According to lore 10k yrs ago is when the ancients returned to earth, then theres a huge catastrophy involving 6 or 7 smaller impacts almost wiping prehistorical man. Coincidence? I would think one could spin a pretty hefty story out of that combining sg lore and real world myths!

Thotz?

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
    In the library im bored so i flip through this book. And its about mythological floods like in the bible and other myths and ties it to cometary impact sites from 10,000 years ago. I got to thinking it might make a good SGA story. According to lore 10k yrs ago is when the ancients returned to earth, then theres a huge catastrophy involving 6 or 7 smaller impacts almost wiping prehistorical man. Coincidence? I would think one could spin a pretty hefty story out of that combining sg lore and real world myths!
    Past mythologies always make for interesting inclusions into the Stargate lore. There was of course, the impact of 65 million years ago that allegedly wiped out the dinosaurs, but I wasn't aware of any more recent impacts in the past 10k years that nearly wiped out early man. Can you elaborate?

Some scholars have tried to link the eruption of Thera (Santorini), which wiped out Minoan civilization, with events in the book of Exodus. (Plagues, parting of the sea etc.)
    My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

There is a basis on this myth but it goes back more than 30.000 years.
      If you like to read, start reading the ancient Myths of Egypt and Greece as if they where reports.
      If you clear your mind from religius thoughts, and from things you take for GRANDED, you will be suprised.
      I'll only give you a small clue, because this forum isn't made for this kind of things.
      There are more than one mountains named Olympus and there aren't all in Greece.
      On every one of them, or very close to each one, there was, or still is , a city or a place named Pylai(GATES).
      Read about the Holy Geometry of Egypt and Greece. And if you have lots of patients, read about the Eleusinian Mysteries. Eleusis is/was a city and an ancient holy ground, where the ..Gods where coming down and advised people on how do make laws, on new healling methods etc. Eleusis means "arrival".
      Good luck
      Spoiler:
      APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
      (YEAR 0 - 100)
      "O thou Sun,
      send me as far over the earth
      as is my pleasure and thine,
      and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
      but never hear anything of bad ones,
      nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
        There is a basis on this myth but it goes back more than 30.000 years.
        If you like to read, start reading the ancient Myths of Egypt and Greece as if they where reports.
        Well, it's not likely I'll find the time to seek these out, but I thank you for mentioning them. I'd be curious to know who the author is, however, and what his/her standing is among historians.

The key word in your post is "myths" which, it seems so far, is what they are as opposed to confirmed facts. And that, in the context of this thread, is quite alright, as it's always fun to incorporate these and other myths, real or not, into the Stargate mythology.

If you clear your mind from religius thoughts, and from things you take for GRANDED, you will be suprised.
        Actually I wasn't having any religious thoughts, one way or other, when I made my comments.

. . . because this forum isn't made for this kind of things.
        Really. I think it's a very interesting topic, quite suited for this forum.

All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
          Past mythologies always make for interesting inclusions into the Stargate lore. There was of course, the impact of 65 million years ago that allegedly wiped out the dinosaurs, but I wasn't aware of any more recent impacts in the past 10k years that nearly wiped out early man. Can you elaborate?

Some scholars have tried to link the eruption of Thera (Santorini), which wiped out Minoan civilization, with events in the book of Exodus. (Plagues, parting of the sea etc.)
          Here's a site you may find interesting about meteorological impacts since 11 600 B.C.E.

COMET/EARTH IMPACT CHRONOLOGY

Ummmm, ignore the stuff about Vulcan on the homepage. The site I linked to is sound however.

There's also Giant Comet Launched Noah's Ark and Meteors and The Flood
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
            Here's a site you may find interesting about meteorological impacts since 11 600 B.C.E.

COMET/EARTH IMPACT CHRONOLOGY

Ummmm, ignore the stuff about Vulcan on the homepage. The site I linked to is sound however.

There's also Giant Comet Launched Noah's Ark and Meteors and The Flood
            Thank you. Lots of reading.

I'm not sure what the Vulcan reference is in the heading either, but it reminds me that there was once speculation that another planet existed inside the orbit of Mercury, but was near impossible to spot due to its (supposed) close proximity to the sun. It was called "Vulcan." Its existence has since been debunked. Probably nothing to do with the heading anyway and straying off-topic for this thread. (Or on second thought, maybe not. We're talking "myths" here aren't we.)

Comment

...I'd be curious to know who the author is, however, and what his/her standing is among historians.
              Professional mainstream historians to me, in general, come across as a skeptical lot, and I appreciate that they try to apply a modicum of scientific method to their work. But really unless it's a real-time historian chronicling present day events, they are mostly collating and sifting through writings made in the past made by people long dead and trying to make a conclusion based on consensus. The consensus view may or may not always be right. Scribes working for a brutal emperor are probably not going to write anything bad about the emperor. And like they say, after a war, the victors get to write the history. Good historians will acknowledge this. Most our recent history is probably pretty reliable.

The further back one goes, though, the less material there is to work with until it overlaps archeology, further back, one is left with archeology.

Archeologists are strange bunch that tend to form cliches and spout off conclusions outside their actual area of expertise, like linguists with no real engineering, architectural, or construction trade knowledge proclaiming that the pyramids blocks were chipped into shape with copper chisels then hauled up wooden ramps by teams of slaves. Well, maybe, but there are engineers and machinists that point out some problems with what to them looks like naive oversimplifications. For example there are holes that appear to have been drilled and the huge granite blocks that modern equipment would have trouble lifting. Copper is pretty soft as metal goes and would be slightly better than pounding on a stick of butter to make any headway against granite. That sort of thing.

Yet these assertions are dismissed because it goes against established archeological dogma. There are actually a lot of real world Daniel Jacksons out there, ridiculed by their colleagues and whose alternative discoveries and theories get habitually swept under the carpet and discredited by so many graybeards circled into mutual admiration societies. Well, that's not really true. They argue and backbite amongst themselves over details but if something truly radical comes along, some evidence that makes it seem like they are all wrong, they will unite at all cost to keep their sense of authority intact.

The key word in your post is "myths" which, it seems so far, is what they are as opposed to confirmed facts. And that, in the context of this thread, is quite alright, as it's always fun to incorporate these and other myths, real or not, into the Stargate mythology.
              There are a surprising number of findings around that contradict conventional wisdom. Some of them are even in museum basements. They don't know what else to do with them.

This is a class of stuff that has often been referred to as Forbidden Archeology, There is a guy in the link below that has written a book using that title but that is just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

Sorry the link doesn't take you right to the picture. There is a menu on the right. Select "Anomalous Artifacts". The pictures are quite interesting but Stargate fans like myself may get a kick out of one in particular. Scroll down to the bottom picture. Remind you of anything?

http://www.forbiddenarcheology.com/
              Last edited by apostrophe; 14 September 2008, 08:10 PM. Reason: grammar
              "Thank God it hit the Reading Library, or somebody might have been seriously hurt!"

Comment

Originally posted by apostrophe View Post
                This is a class of stuff that has often been referred to as Forbidden Archeology, There is a guy in the link below that has written a book using that title but that is just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

Sorry the link doesn't take you right to the picture. There is a menu on the right. Select "Anomalous Artifacts". The pictures are quite interesting but Stargate fans like myself may get a kick out of one in particular. Scroll down to the bottom picture. Remind you of anything?

http://www.forbiddenarcheology.com/
                Sorry, it's taken a while for me to get back to this thread. Thanks for the link. Yes the picture you mention has some familiarity about it. Five more symbols and we'll have a stargate address, yes?

The author you refer to, Michael Cremo, is unfamiliar to me, however a bit of web searching reveals that he is a creationist with an unusual twist. It appears that among his claims he believes that humans in their present form have been around for 2 billion years. (Yup billion not million). What humans have been doing all that time I can only imagine, but it certainly opens the door in the sci-fi universe (including Stargate) for a multitude of mythologies that could keep writers busy at their keyboards for decades. (Why, a few ideas are popping into my head as I type this, and I'm not even a writer.) As for the actual authenticity of Cremo's claims, well, I'll just say . . . they're very interesting.

Professional mainstream historians to me, in general, come across as a skeptical lot, and I appreciate that they try to apply a modicum of scientific method to their work. But really unless it's a real-time historian chronicling present day events, they are mostly collating and sifting through writings made in the past made by people long dead and trying to make a conclusion based on consensus. The consensus view may or may not always be right. Scribes working for a brutal emperor are probably not going to write anything bad about the emperor. And like they say, after a war, the victors get to write the history. Good historians will acknowledge this. Most our recent history is probably pretty reliable.
                Well, there's not too much I'd disagree with there, except that I'd emphasize that in science, skepticism (and lots of it) is a good thing.

Archeologists are strange bunch that tend to form cliches and spout off conclusions outside their actual area of expertise, like linguists with no real engineering, architectural, or construction trade knowledge proclaiming that the pyramids blocks were chipped into shape with copper chisels then hauled up wooden ramps by teams of slaves. Well, maybe, but there are engineers and machinists that point out some problems with what to them looks like naive oversimplifications. For example there are holes that appear to have been drilled and the huge granite blocks that modern equipment would have trouble lifting. Copper is pretty soft as metal goes and would be slightly better than pounding on a stick of butter to make any headway against granite. That sort of thing.
                Hmm, I really don't think that's fair to archeologists as I believe they're very hard-working, dedicated individuals. As for them "spouting off conclusions" that almost sounds like something von Daniken would have said in one of his books, and he knew little of anything of he was talking about.

There have been many books written and many good programs have aired (Discovery & National Geographics channels) showing in detail how the pyramids were built (which doesn't mean I don't enjoy the von Daniken mythology being incorporated into Stargate.) The work by archeologists was shown to be painstaking and I never saw them as dogmatic or as trying to put one over on us. Is there still really any debate as to who built the pyramids?

Yet these assertions are dismissed because it goes against established archeological dogma. There are actually a lot of real world Daniel Jacksons out there, ridiculed by their colleagues and whose alternative discoveries and theories get habitually swept under the carpet and discredited by so many graybeards circled into mutual admiration societies. Well, that's not really true. They argue and backbite amongst themselves over details but if something truly radical comes along, some evidence that makes it seem like they are all wrong, they will unite at all cost to keep their sense of authority intact.
                Sometimes that happens and don't get me wrong, it's not to be taken lightly. But the opposite can also be true when a scientist or pseudo-scientist or other practitioner or individual makes a claim which is tested and refuted in a fair manner by established scientific methods. The individual, however, sometimes doesn't accept these findings and claims persecution or elitism and paints him/herself a victim of dogmatic thinking. It can work both ways.

There are a surprising number of findings around that contradict conventional wisdom. Some of them are even in museum basements. They don't know what else to do with them.
                Tell them to send them to Brad Wright c/o Bridge Studios.

Comment

Well, it's not likely I'll find the time to seek these out, but I thank you for mentioning them. I'd be curious to know who the author is, however, and what his/her standing is among historians.
                  Who wrote the "myths"? you can start with "Theogony" and "works and days" from Hesiodus. then read about the argonauts and their " talking ships" and go on to the Odyssey.

Yes the key word is Mythos, witch means history in greek and it's only paraphrased by later, christian Greek scholars..

Actually I wasn't having any religious thoughts, one way or other, when I made my comments.
                  That is something i couldn't know. Good that it is so

Really. I think it's a very interesting topic, quite suited for this forum.
                  There is the science and tech forum i think.
                  Spoiler:
                  APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                  (YEAR 0 - 100)
                  "O thou Sun,
                  nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Excuse my bad English, i will try to be understood.
                    There are many refferences in ancient cultures , about allien beeings that came form other stars to help the people of this planet to evolve.
                    Almost all of those refferences speak of beeings made of energy, or of light. Beeings that could in many cases took any form they wished.Most of these beeings has been given a name and was known for what it came to do. For example give the knowledge of agriculture etc.
                    Egypt and Greece are close , but Mayans and Indians where far from those culrures and noone can say that they just borrowed infos form eatch other.
                    They all agree that it was from Seirius, that the highest beeing came, the supreme entity.That supreme entity was adored in almost all of those cultures.Along with it they adored all the stars that make the Star Complex of seirius. Antares or the Heart of the Scorpio or Godess Selkit of Egypt.Alntebaran or Eye of the Bull or God Min, also in Egypt,Beldegesh or Orion's right shoulder or Osiris or Pleiades Seirius of the Great Kyn, the big Dog, God Anouvis.
                    Hopi indians speak about the Kahina, who came from the stars and helped them when they where attacked fro the Red city in the south.The kayato tribe in Brazil claims to have had communication with it's ancestors from the stars, until a bad mage cut them off.
                    They are just to many to be ignored.
                    Spoiler:
                    APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                    (YEAR 0 - 100)
                    "O thou Sun,
                    nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Excuse my bad English, i will try to be understood.
                      There are many refferences in ancient cultures , about allien beeings that came form other stars to help the people of this planet to evolve.
                      Almost all of those refferences speak of beeings made of energy, or of light. Beeings that could in many cases took any form they wished.Most of these beeings has been given a name and was known for what it came to do. For example give the knowledge of agriculture etc.
                      Egypt and Greece are close , but Mayans and Indians where far from those culrures and noone can say that they just borrowed infos form eatch other.
                      They all agree that it was from Seirius, that the highest beeing came, the supreme entity.That supreme entity was adored in almost all of those cultures.Along with it they adored all the stars that make the Star Complex of seirius. Antares or the Heart of the Scorpio or Godess Selkit of Egypt.Alntebaran or Eye of the Bull or God Min, also in Egypt,Beldegesh or Orion's right shoulder or Osiris or Pleiades Seirius of the Great Kyn, the big Dog, God Anouvis.
                      Hopi indians speak about the Kahina, who came from the stars and helped them when they where attacked fro the Red city in the south.The kayato tribe in Brazil claims to have had communication with it's ancestors from the stars, until a bad mage cut them off.
                      They are just to many to be ignored.
                      it's natural that the ancients valued the stars so much - they were signals for agricultural cycles and for primitive navigation.....

Comment

I wish more people would.
                        Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by ciel View Post
                          it's natural that the ancients valued the stars so much - they were signals for agricultural cycles and for primitive navigation.....
                          And they would all speak for "those who came from the stars" if the stars where only their agricultural and navigational advisors?

There is a destarction hapening to Earth every 3600 years.That's when a cycle is closing. The Ouroboros "tale eating snake" etc.
                          A larger cycle is closing every 25000 years. If you go back to recent human history you'll see that this is true.Volcanic eruptions, floads etc. destroyed great civillizations.
                          Do a little research on that numper.Do study the Myth of Minos the King of Crete and how he and his brother came from .... the stars.
                          Daedalus existed, but he wasn't making wax feathers, he "could make his statues talk".
                          Probably people had reach such a level of advancement that they could travel to other planets. The disaster(climatological or other) that occured every 3600 years didn't aloud them to leave anything behind them, other than very little hints of their true knowledge.
                          That off course is only my opinion.
                          Spoiler:
                          APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                          (YEAR 0 - 100)
                          "O thou Sun,
                          nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

And they would all speak for "those who came from the stars" if the stars where only their agricultural and navigational advisors?

There is a destarction hapening to Earth every 3600 years.That's when a cycle is closing. The Ouroboros "tale eating snake" etc.
                            A larger cycle is closing every 25000 years. If you go back to recent human history you'll see that this is true.Volcanic eruptions, floads etc. destroyed great civillizations.
                            Do a little research on that numper.Do study the Myth of Minos the King of Crete and how he and his brother came from .... the stars.
                            Daedalus existed, but he wasn't making wax feathers, he "could make his statues talk".
                            Probably people had reach such a level of advancement that they could travel to other planets. The disaster(climatological or other) that occured every 3600 years didn't aloud them to leave anything behind them, other than very little hints of their true knowledge.
                            That off course is only my opinion.
                            I wish there was a particular book I could remember to refer to you to help explain these things as only new age mysticism.....but something that comes to mind at the moment are the Ancient Discoveries television series --- they chronicle ancient inventions that could do many automated things - including playing music - things that were lost or forgotten for centuries or even millennia.......there was no need for beings from the stars to teach us these things....we have learned them.....forgotten them...and relearned things many times......usually with help of brave librarians who horded and protected ancient knowledge during times of war and destruction.....

I recommend you search Amazon or any bittorrent site for these programs and watch them....

Comment

Thnx for the recommentation.
                              Recently i watched a convarsation between some high educated people on a tv show.They where all with a couple of PhD.'s and they where experts at what they're doing. Physisists, Electronic engineers, mathematicians, archaeologists and anthropologists etc.
                              Those dear granpa's, refaired to:- Natural Gates that link our world to the 4rth dimension world, witch the ancienst knew and took advantage of.
                              -Technology so advanced that aloud people to travel among stars in very little time.
                              -Flying Ships(the charriot of Apolon), -The use of Vacuum energy, -genetic manipulation (rememper the dogs that the Greeks sent against the Persians at mount Athos),-"Talking" ships(Jason's ship). And more things that i can't rememper now. For all the above you can easily have any information you want, by doing a little research. But listening from "official" lips that it's not just "myths" is really something.
                              It's not mysticism, it's Just Science.
                              Spoiler:
                              APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                              (YEAR 0 - 100)
                              "O thou Sun,
                              nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment