This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mythology

I think mythology is an essential aspect of stagate, and have been sad to see it ignored in Atlantis and replaced with more trekkian scifi. Will this trend continue in Universe? Universe is a soft reboot, and I think we need to bring back mythology, the thing that made stargate different from the very beginning. a mix of sci-fi and sword-and-sandals

I'm thinking they'll find a way to fit it into the show's mythology comfortably. At a guess, I'm going to say that post-plague, post-Pegasus, pre-extinction, the surviving Ancients wanted some way to preserve their legacy. And seeing as the gate networks seem to be their crowning achievement, the Destiny mission was born.

I understand your meaning though, a lot of the fun of the film and first seasons of the show was its cross of scifi and sword & sandal. Maybe we'll get some of that back, there's certainly no shortage of mythology and religious culture in our history.

As far as mythology as well as character focus goes, maybe it would be nice to see a bit more of development of faith in our new cast, be it Muslim, Buddhist, atheist, Christian, whatever.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I think it's very doubtful there would be much, if any Earth inspired mythology. I don't see how they could incorporate it, I mean they're supposed to be exploring places even the Ancients haven't been, so it's unlikely there'd be any connections to Earth anywhere they went.

*edit*

^^ atheism isn't a faith

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
        ^^ atheism isn't a faith
        Yes thank you, I realize that The point stands.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Yes thank you, I realize that The point stands.
          also religion isn't the same thing as mythology. but we digress.

A new race could be introduced. maybe a race that inspired the titans of greece. i would imagine an off-shoot of the ancients perhaps.

Comment

At a guess, I'm going to say that post-plague, post-Pegasus, pre-extinction, the surviving Ancients wanted some way to preserve their legacy. And seeing as the gate networks seem to be their crowning achievement, the Destiny mission was born.
            destiny is pre-plague, pre-pegasus, pre-pre-extinction

A new race could be introduced. maybe a race that inspired the titans of greece. i would imagine an off-shoot of the ancients perhaps.
            when i red this my thoughts went to that new race of atlantis (the one that will be introduced in mid-season 2 parter) in a GW article i red that it's at least as old as atlantis in pegasus... i imagine that writers could make it the main baddie in sgu => wraith defeated lanteans so these guyz also decided to run and ran to those galaxies we will visit in sgu. maybe they left some ppl behind which could be reason they were hiding and not fighting wraith ( too little numbers). plus they will be bad guyz in atlantis, for some reason, hence they wont be friendly in sgu ... just imagining

here is one myth fresly thought!
            ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

I think that, too, however I remember saying the same about Atlantis, and it turn out okay. I mean so many ppl complain about how bad it is, or how it sucks compared to the first season of atlantis, but how many people are mad that they canceled the show? Yea, Universe will do fine all on its own.

I do wish mythology would be in this one.... I missed that part of Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by NIMBUS View Post
                Says who? "The height of their civilization" is a pretty broad phrase.

Comment

who knows what the ancients were before the split with the ori. maybe they were a split from an even ancienter race. the key to keep the stargates cool as that they can't have a clear origin or starting point in the history thusly there could still be thousands of galaxies dotted with gates.

Comment

The Ancients supposedly began building Vis Uban at the height of their civilization, that was just before the plague broke out.

Comment

it was said that destiny is millions of years older than atlantis so it is all those things i mentioned

...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
                        I think that, too, however I remember saying the same about Atlantis, and it turn out okay. I mean so many ppl complain about how bad it is, or how it sucks compared to the first season of atlantis, but how many people are mad that they canceled the show? Yea, Universe will do fine all on its own.

I do wish mythology would be in this one.... I missed that part of Stargate.
                        Me too

I'm still holding out hope they will find a way to work in both new and existing mythology to SGU. The use of mythology is part of what drew me to Stargate in the first place, and it would be a shame to discard that entirely.
                        Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                        Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Id like to see some of the asgard mythology incorporated, after all theyve been around a very long time and must have some general knowledge about the universe.

If a rainbow bridge connecting worlds isnt describing the stargate then im... just some fat guy typing at a computer.

Comment

Working...
                          X