No! No! No!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No! No! No!

The Wraith have one thing that makes them vulnerable and probably stop them from growing in numbers, but the contrary: the 'limited food suply'. Now the atlantians wants to repair that and to make them stronger as a civilisation. Why? Did the Wraith really look like the trusting type? Just look what happened with the only other Wraith who actually came with the ideea to eliminate the 'need to feed' and what were his next objectives! I really wished to see Woolsey agreeing with this 'plan'.

Sheppard says that for 4 years they are fighting the Wraith with no result. That's a exageration, the Replicators have fought the Wraith, the Wraith have fought the Wraith, the Ancients have fought the Wraith, not the atlanteans. Atlantis has cloaked jumpers and powerfull ships used like cargo and transport ships between the 2 galaxy. They only did rescue operations and only challange the Wraith if they were forced in a specific situation. Actually they did more alliances with the Wraith than battles. This episode actually showed what few well-aimed shoots from a cloaked-uncloacked jumper in combinations with a Hive/Daedalus firepower can do. I'd say that in maximum one week the Wraith problem can be easily resolved, provided we have a Hive tracking system and Apollo and Daedalus support, and there was no need to make an episode to replace the Wraith leadership from an ignorant and short-minded Queen with a conosaire and a visionary.

Todd certanly used their 'stupidity' in his favor, used Teyla to gain access to the Queen of Queens and in the end he recived the key of the empire and a empty threat. Just brilliant!

Now imagine you being a Wraith with all their predatorial nature and the god complex, would you really risk your 'power', longevity, special abilities, knowing that somewhere close there is a 6 billions world of stupid people with stupid leadership waiting to be culled? I just couldn't stopped laughing when the scared doctor was explaining to the 'smart bugs' how they can be TREATED and their insectoid DNA manipulated. Could you seriously imagine few colonies of Wraith poets, musiciens or painters drinking beer and watching american football? 'Feeding' for the Wraith is not only a need, it's a way of life, this is what they are, all their actions are converging to this ONE moment. Just don't want to see their nature destroyed, in case this is the intention.
    Last edited by elbo; 13 September 2008, 08:22 PM.

they cannot be trusted by humans basically because they have to eat humans. Shep brought up the example of the goa'uld in the MW to point out that the modified wraith could just enslave humans in the PG instead of eating them, but he forgot that the goa'uld also had a biological dependence on humans (albeit a different kind) : for all their genius minds the goa'uld were just helpless little worms who had to parasite the "inferior" humans in order to survive. what better way to ensure a steady stream of hosts than to have said hosts worship you ? heck the wraith also enslave humans & pass off as gods ! (cf. Common Ground)

furthermore afawk the wraith have no desire to be worshipped just for the sake of it, so if their reliance on humans is severed it is more than likely they'll just leave their former cattle alone. and hey perhaps the more honourable lot amongst them (Tood & co.) might even agree to share some of their tech with the terrans..

Comment

Atlantis can already track their ships.

Comment

The only reason that the Wraith have been so vicious and ruthless in the past is coz they've needed to feed off of the humans of the pegasus galaxy.
        If they can feed off of normal human food then they will likely use humans to farm, produce and steal their food from them (like in A Bugs Life lol).

I never see the Wraith becoming totally placid, but as time goes on and the different alliances of Wraith become one race, not devided but united they can be made to become a force for good in pegasus.

Anyways enslavement is much better than being food.

If each alliance of hives has a number of farming planets then other inhabited worlds can thrive, the wraith can't possibly monitor the whole galaxy!

Comment

Why would the Wraith enslave the humans of Pegasus? With no biological dependence upon humans it would be in the Wraith's best interest to wipe out all humans, so as not to risk reprisal for millenia of cullings.
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

The Wraith don't care about humans as anything other than a food source. If humans are no longer a food source they're far more likely to simply ignore them than enslave them or anything of that nature and any idea that they would seek to attack Earth is even more ridiculous.

If they were going to enslave humans there would have to be something they stood to gain from doing it. The Goa'uld do it because they need to control their access to hosts for their offspring and they need the humans as slave labor because Goa'uld themselves will never do that kind of work.

The Wraith don't have those problems. They have no biological dependance on humans for survival and they can simply create drones which are stronger, more resiliant and more obediant to do all of their manual labor.

If they did initiate a conflict with humans it would be for the same sorts of reasons of territory or resources that other species might come into conflict not anything specific to them being Wraith. Even that is less likely though since the vast majority of them seem to prefer to live in space and only visit planets to feed, hibernate or establish the occasional small base. With 2 of those things no longer being necessary it's unlikely that they would have any sort of regular interaction with native human populations at all, nor would they be likely to compete for planetary territory. Pegasus is fairly sparsley populated in any case so even if they did want to settle down on planets there is more than enough room for them to do so.

Comment

A race that is technologically strong enough to construct warships and spread through thousands of worlds is strong enough to survive without having to enslave other races. The Goa'uld being perhaps the one difference due to their needing hosts in order to survive.
              http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                Why would the Wraith enslave the humans of Pegasus? With no biological dependence upon humans it would be in the Wraith's best interest to wipe out all humans, so as not to risk reprisal for millenia of cullings.
                If you're questioning my post, then I'll give you my answer.

I think if the Wraith have no need to feed off of humans and need normal food it's just easier for them to take their food from humans.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't wipe out a huge portion of the popultion in Pegasus to minimise backlash, but in their imediate future they'll need a long term supply, they're not gonna know the first thing about farming and aggreculture.
                Not to mention the fact that they'd have to stay and cultivate the land (I don't really see the Wraith as farmers).
                Staying in one place for any length of time leaves them open to attack from Wraith and other enemies especially if they had to land hives or cruisers.

In the beginning I don't see the Wraith attacking countless worlds for the hell of it, they're going to need to forge alliances with lesser Human worlds, trading protection from other Wraith for food.
                The Wraith haven't been human for at least eleven thousand years, so they're not going to know about nutrition, what's harmful and poisonous, they'll atleast need our help on this.

They will see it as beneath them to have to do all of the hard graft especially when it's easier to get food without it.

Comment

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
                  Atlantis can already track their ships.
                  No they can't. You're thinking of the Asurans. Atlantis had the beacon (or whatever) that repli-Keller gave them to track the Asuran ships.

Wraiths they just pick up on their long range sensors.

If all humans were vegetarians, would we still kill chickens?

Comment

Originally posted by Zamboni View Post
                    No they can't. You're thinking of the Asurans. Atlantis had the beacon (or whatever) that repli-Keller gave them to track the Asuran ships.

Wraiths they just pick up on their long range sensors.

If all humans were vegetarians, would we still kill chickens?

It's true that we use Atlantis's sensors to detect Wraith ships close by, but I thought Ford had one of those Wraith computer ship tracker things in the episode The Hive in season 2, surely we wouldn't have let something that important slip through our fingers.

And yes we would kill the Chickens coz if we didn't they would take over the world.
                    Last edited by Rise Of The Phoenix; 14 September 2008, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Actually, Wraith population growth is limited by their biology, not by their food supply. Todd said that any given queen can only produce a limited number of offspring at one time, certainly not, for example, the prolific numbers that defeated the Ancients. The Wraith population only exploded because of the now destroyed cloning facility; before that, the Wraith were significantly smaller in number, so much so that the Ancients believed that they weren't a threat. The new Wraith would prove dangerous because of their technology and aggressive nature, not because of the threat of a population explosion.

Now the population of the galaxy does play an important role in Wraith affairs, but only because the number of Wraith left at the end of the Ancient/Wraith war was unsustainable given the galaxy's current population. The point I'm trying to make here is that the Wraith's infamous numerical advantage came not from biology, but through artificial inflation of their population.
                      Last edited by Vis Uban; 14 September 2008, 02:04 PM.

Comment

I agree that it's getting harder and harder for me to swallow that with the Ori threat gone, Earth cannot spare the Apollo and the Daedalus to deal with the Wraith like with the Replicators.

In fact, we're shockingly more friendly and tolerant against a race that'll literally feed on us compared the extreme hard line we take against Replicators (destroy them at all costs, even those that sympathize with us and want to ally themselves with us.)

If I don't see some serious three-way BC-304 operations against the Wraith in the Atlantis movie, I am going to be upset.

Comment

Originally posted by Vis Uban View Post
                          Actually, Wraith population growth is limited by their biology, not by their food supply. Todd said that any given queen can only produce a limited number of offspring at one time, certainly not, for example, the prolific numbers that defeated the Ancients. The Wraith population only exploded because of the now destroyed cloning facility; before that, the Wraith were significantly smaller in number, so much so that the Ancients believed that they weren't a threat. The new Wraith would prove dangerous because of their technology and aggressive nature, not because of the threat of a population explosion.

Now the population of the galaxy does play an important role in Wraith affairs, but only because the number of Wraith left at the end of the Ancient/Wraith war was unsustainable given the galaxy's current population. The point I'm trying to make here is that the Wraith's infamous numerical advantage came not from biology, but through artificial inflation of their population.
                          It's worth noting though that Michael, operating alone and with no resources or real support infastructure to speak of, was capable of creating a significant number of labs and hybrids all by himself.

Given that it's entirely likely that the Wraith civilization at large could employ similar methods to his to create drones/warriors in mass numbers should they be needed. Michael did afterall need to learn what he knew from somewhere, that being from his time as a Wraith scientist.

In that sense then the people pointing out that removing their need to feed on humans removes an important check on their numbers are right to soem degree I think. I don't think that they'll necessarily decide to immediately explode in population for no reason following their liberation from human dependancy though, as even eating solid food they'll still need support structures in place to actually sustain that many individuals, especially when it's all going to be new to them.

They'll probably end up weaker in the short term but much stronger in the long, especially if their immortality remains.

Comment

Working...
                          X