What?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What?!

Has everyone forgotten that the Wraith communicate with each other Telepathically...for the most part.

The Wraith queen influences her thralls with her mind, subjegating them and bending them to her will. Teyla can't do this...so it's impossible for her to have impersonated a queen.

First the writers dumb down the Ancients, now they are making the Wraith act like humans. They talk to each other on the bridge, they question orders of a queen, they have an advisor to consult with, they spy on each other...I mean come on, these are Wraith...they're not supposed to be humans in green paint!

Badly, badly written episode. The writers need to understand that there are simply some things that the good guys can't pull off...impersonating a queen is one of them.
    Stargate: ROTA wiki

She did a pretty darn good job of manipulating the Queens in Submersion and Spoils of War. I think she could fool the Primary and handle a few "males". LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Lorr View Post
      She did a pretty darn good job of manipulating the Queens in Submersion and Spoils of War. I think she could fool the Primary and handle a few "males". LOL
      Quite right, and wasn't the Queen in "Submersion" very powerful? She may not be a full bodied Wraith but Teyla deffinitely has some skills.

Comment

Originally posted by MartianManhunter View Post
        Quite right, and wasn't the Queen in "Submersion" very powerful? She may not be a full bodied Wraith but Teyla deffinitely has some skills.
        The queen in submersion took control of Teyla's body twice. What she managed to do was mislead the queen, she couldn't overpower her.

And we didn't see her give one telepathic order in Queen.
        Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
          The queen in submersion took control of Teyla's body twice. What she managed to do was mislead the queen, she couldn't overpower her.

And we didn't see her give one telepathic order in Queen.
          Because it was telepathic, you wouldnt see it. But I had forgotten about her being taken over, i'll have to go back and rewatch the episode.

Comment

Has everyone forgotten that the Wraith communicate with each other Telepathically...for the most part.

The Wraith queen influences her thralls with her mind, subjegating them and bending them to her will. Teyla can't do this...so it's impossible for her to have impersonated a queen.

First the writers dumb down the Ancients, now they are making the Wraith act like humans. They talk to each other on the bridge, they question orders of a queen, they have an advisor to consult with, they spy on each other...I mean come on, these are Wraith...they're not supposed to be humans in green paint!

Badly, badly written episode. The writers need to understand that there are simply some things that the good guys can't pull off...impersonating a queen is one of them.
            I thought Teyla had wraith DNA in her own DNA which gave he telepathy powers. That is how she was able to remotely access the queen during the first or second season of the series. If Teyla had the capabilities to remotely access the queens mind and give information to Sheppard & Weir in Atlantis's infirmary then convincing a "weak" queen that she was a queen herself should be no problem.
            Spoiler:
            When Todd killed the wraith queen of the Hive ship him and Teyla (as a wraith) boarded he referred to that queen as weak

Comment

In Submersion, Teyla was taken over only once. And, as she said, it was because she was not expecting to encounter a Queen. The second time, she was pretending so that she could plant the false image of John coming back to the drilling platform to talk about flying the Hive (or was it a cruiser?) to the mainland.

In SoW, Teyla forced the Queen to have the boys taken back to their cell, give them their weapons and release them. She also spoke to John through the Queen. I realize the implication that Teyla's unborn son was giving her a bit of a boost, but most of the control was coming from her. She also protected the fetus from the Queen while maintaining the control.

I think that tricking the Primary into just thinking she was a queen would have been a little easier than planting a pretend converstaion or controlling physical actions.

Comment

We've never actually seen the inner-workings of a Hive before, though, IIRC.

Comment

It was never made clear just how much Wraith communicate with each other telepathically. The Gift made it seem like it was a lot. Perhaps they speak more now, because of the threat of telepathic-psychic infiltration. But everything else seems fairly consistent with what was shown about the Wraith prior to this episode. It would be illogical if the Wraith did not question a new Queen's inexplicable behavior. It's clear that Wraith do not trust each other as they once did. I understand what you are saying but the Wraith were never a hive mind. They can still have their own hidden litle secrets and issues like they did in the episode.
                  "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

1. Teyla can manipulate a queen, yes. But why risk it unless she's in a desperate situation? If she opens her mind, she may open it to someone much stronger than she is. It would be a foolish thing to do unless there was no other way.

2. If the Wraith communicated telepathically during this episode, it would have been one hellava boring episode...like a silent movie, only without the Keystone Cops.

3. For Todd and Teyla to use telepathy while on the Primary's hive could have left them open to discovery. Mostly I feel that it wasn't used because they needed the Wraith to speak for the audience to be able to understand what was going on, but there was also a practical reason for them to speak instead of using the telepathy...to avoid detection as frauds.

However, when Todd said, "My queen, perhaps we should discuss this in private" (regarding how to deal with the other hive), I was under the impression that he was using telepathy there - the way he looked at Teyla, the way she responded, then the way he looked at the other commander. I just had the impression that he was also speaking with his thoughts.

4. So, perhaps they WERE using telepathy, but in order for it to be understood by the audience, they had to 'speak'. It's just like when we watch a movie about the French Revolution, but it's an English production. The actors are speaking in English so the non-French speaking audience can understand, but in the time and place that the events are happening, they would actually have been speaking French.

Likewise, we can almost assume that much of the 'conversation' we saw aboard the hive was actually done telepathically, but the actors had to speak their characters' thoughts so that we - the non-telepathic audience - could understand.

das
                    Last edited by dasNdanger; 14 September 2008, 05:03 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

We know the Wraith have the ability to use telepathy, but I don't remember it being said they communicate solely using telepathy - and we're never really told if it is a dialogue or more of a "sixth sense." In fact, the first few times Teyla was reaching out for anything with little to no control, since then it has always been a direct one on one connection whenever anything more than "a feeling" is required.

There could also be some social aspect where the queen might not wish to connect to a 'hive' telepathically - especially in such a feudal society where there is a clear caste system (queen, normal males, grunt troops) - and even beyond that, the primary queen would be a step above that.

Comment

Teyla was using Occlumency. True story.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                          Teyla was using Occlumency. True story.
                          And Lucius... err, Todd, was all trying to get her to do his bidding.
                          http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Wait, I don't remember it ever being established that the Wraith communicate almost exclusively through telepathy.

Comment

Well for one it would have been a very boring episode if they was all talking in each others heads using telepathy. As it would have just been a bunch of Wraith standing around.

Also the Wraith use Telepathy to communicate long range, and play mind tricks on their enemies. If they are face to face theres no reason why they would not just talk normally. We still no so little about Wraith culture. For all we know it could be bad manners and rude to communicate with the Wraith Queens using telepathy if face to face.
                              sigpic
                              Banner Made By Me for Me
                              The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X