PDA

View Full Version : Does SGU sound like a rip off of Star Trek to you?

System Lord Baal
September 11th, 2008, 12:02 PM
It sounds a lot like "Stargate meets Star Trek" to me. I mean, a ship, likely going from planet to planet each week and having an adventure each time?

Star Trek :(

Tich
September 11th, 2008, 12:12 PM
All we need now is a new type of radiation every episode causing interference with whatever system we can invent any ship to have and we have Star Trek.

And a warp drive...

Character
September 11th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Yea, but when you think about it, theres only so much you can think of. In space sci-fi its either set in a station, a ship, or a ground base (cityship, sgc, not a very big difference storyvise). And while i remain sceptical, farscape and lexx were ship based too, but they were awsome and certainly not ST rippofs.

Naonak
September 11th, 2008, 12:27 PM
It sounds a lot like "Stargate meets Star Trek" to me. I mean, a ship, likely going from planet to planet each week and having an adventure each time?

Or Farscape... Or Firefly... Or Andromeda *shudder*... Or... etc.

So, basically, no.

jelgate
September 11th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Yep every space based show is a Star Trek ripoff:rolleyes:

jenks
September 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Well, no, that would defeat the whole purpose of having Stargate's seeded at all wouldn't it? It's more likely that different worlds will be explored through the gate, and the ship will travel to new galaxies every so often...

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
September 11th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Currently ? yeah it does, but ill wait and see if it ACTUALLY does when its on...its hard to tell now with the limited info, but JUST going off that limited info I do think it sounds like Stargate Voyager...but who knows ? it might be entirely different once its on.

Flyboy
September 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM
No. It doesn't sound good, but it sounds nothing like Star Trek, you know, with the lack of a federation, and a utopian society and so forth...

Bytor
September 11th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Star Trek Invented Sci-Fi in space :rolleyes:

mattyg1987
September 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM
From what I've read, it sounds more like it will look like Battlestar Galactica than anything else and the way that is told and shown. That should be a good thing as I like watching BSG.

supersoldier34
September 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM
except no cylons, an entire fleet of ships, over dramatic or schizophrenic characters, odd filming angles, a whole lotta crap. and that ever mystery who is a cylon.

gange57
September 11th, 2008, 07:43 PM
No, but it does sound like every other cliche exploring-the-universe-in-a-spaceship show.

Sameera
September 12th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Well as for going from planet to planet and having an adventure each time, as I recall the early years of SG1 were a lot more "go from planet to planet and have an adventure each time" and yet the fans seemed to love those. Now we have the chance of something like that happening again and suddenly it is a horrible thing. Must be because the show will be based on a ship, regardless if they use the stargate the ship just changes too much. Or that is what it seems like some people may be saying.

Anyway, no it doesn't sound like StarTrek. It does sound a bit more like BSG but even then the comparisons are superficial from the information given. In fact based on what we have been told you could make it sound just about like any space based sci fi show, that doesn't mean it will be just like any of the others or that it will be bad.

I hope they give us some more info about the premise of the show soon, it would answer some of the questions we have and maybe get rid of some of the "it sounds just like (this) show" comparisons. Or at least give us the proper "this" show to compare it too.

Alkulima
September 12th, 2008, 01:01 AM
From the sound of the initial plotline it feels a little bit star trekkish but in reality it's probably completely different. Quite a lot of people said that Atlantis would be Star Trek Voyager clone but in the end they're "slightly" different.

Mardius
September 12th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Star Trek Invented Sci-Fi in space :rolleyes:

your confusing Star Trek with Buck Rogers

thekillman
September 12th, 2008, 01:32 AM
why does everyone shoot down universe, when all we know its a ship were heading to.

base: done
city: done
tauri base: done
City: done
alien base: done
alien city: done

whats left?
-spacestation. well, essentially atlantis in a space station. pointless
-spaceship. thats SGU. which, IMO, plays nicely into the more recent years of stargate.

and why is everything startrek? why is every new show sounding even remotely like startrek is a ripoff? startrek is well known. doesnt make it the inventor of everything. there was much scifi before it. just not as well known. so cut the Trek crap. its just not true. startrek did alot of things. so what. so many other shows did. sometimes, the only way to be original is to do something similar, series wise. show in a ship. done many times. so what. its original to stargate.

besides, SGU has much, much, much more potential this way. including:

space battle with it
following a stranded team, in the mix with following the Destiny
exploring the seeder ship
exploring more aliens, and galaxies.

besides, it sounds more like star wars. "in a galaxy, far, far away, theres a group of heroes battling the universe", in a ship, with stargates.

HunGripen
September 12th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I do not understand those people whose keep saying it will be Star Trek. A ship will play a big role in the series and it's already Star Trek? Why not Andromeda or BSG or other sci-fi shows?

The writers are trying to put some new elements in the show e.g.:They don't start from a base-->SGC, Atlantis(okay it's a flying city :) )but from a ship, new type of disoceries etc. Maybe this kind of story will be good maybe not. Watch the pilot in 2009.

stargatefan234
September 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM

At first it did, but as was said in the podcast, there are other ship based shows like firefly and Andromeda that are not rip offs of stargate star trek.

granted the exploring of planets to planets sounds a like ST:TOS:TNG:VOY:ENT (but not DS9 and only partially VOY because they had the story arc of going home (granted visitng every planet they came across)), but SG1 and SGA explore planets and that doesn't feel like star trek, and i'm sure if it is done correctly, it will not be a ST Rip off, but it could so easily be.

mattyg1987
September 12th, 2008, 09:18 AM
besides, it sounds more like star wars. "in a galaxy, far, far away, theres a group of heroes battling the universe", in a ship, with stargates.

But Stargate Atlantis is set in a galaxy far, far away, with a group of heroes battling the bad guys lol.

Bytor
September 12th, 2008, 12:07 PM
your confusing Star Trek with Buck Rogers

im not

everyone else seems to be

Tri_rule
September 13th, 2008, 01:14 PM

You do Know that almost all Conceivable Sci-Fi Plots have been done by everyone it's the ''Atmosphere'' of the individual franchise that makes the same old storylines/plots different and ultimatley Still very enjoyable.

Something that a lot of people I THINK don't seem to reliase....

Daniel Jackson
September 13th, 2008, 04:23 PM

Star Trek? No. Star Trek: Voyager? Yes.

Mardius
September 13th, 2008, 09:16 PM
im not

everyone else seems to be

how are you not? Buck Rogers was the first real sci-fi serial that had space travel

i believe the timeline is Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, Star Trek, Star Wars, which was followed closely by Battlestar Galactica and so on and so forth

Mitchell82
September 13th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Yea, but when you think about it, theres only so much you can think of. In space sci-fi its either set in a station, a ship, or a ground base (cityship, sgc, not a very big difference storyvise). And while i remain sceptical, farscape and lexx were ship based too, but they were awsome and certainly not ST rippofs.

I was with you till you said Lexx was good.:mckay: But more on topic yeah it sounds like Star Trek but so do every single show/movie that is set in space. Personally I like the idea of Universe and hope it will be good.

Jack_Bauer
September 13th, 2008, 10:36 PM

Wow, your like the first ever person to make this comparison!:o

Vespasianus
September 14th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Don't we have at least three threads dedicated to this already? Okay. I'm off to create another "SGU Casting" thread, see ya there...

thekillman
September 14th, 2008, 02:39 AM
you know whats odd? they say its a trek ripoff most of the time. even though trek is a ripoff aswell, just as about any show on the air. but hey, everything has been done at least once, alot of things twice or more

TigerLord
September 14th, 2008, 09:30 PM
SGU is Star Trek Universe mixed with BSG, and this is why it will fail.

They are both very good shows on their own, and I find BSG to be one of the best masterpiece in sci-fi since the very first season of SG-1.

SGU is an aim at taking the advantage of BSG's departure to rip fan looking for a fix in the genre and using a working environment in which ST:Voyager evolved in while at the same time milking an already popular franchise.

I've seen Stargate Worlds: I predict a disaster and epic failiure ?* la AoC (another attempt to milk the franchise). SGA was never better than BSG, there is no reason to think SGU will be better than BSG, ST:V or SGA for that matter.

Coming from a fan that has loved Stargate since the original movie, this is making me angry and sad at the time time.

HunGripen
September 15th, 2008, 12:15 AM
SGU is Star Trek Universe mixed with BSG, and this is why it will fail.

They are both very good shows on their own, and I find BSG to be one of the best masterpiece in sci-fi since the very first season of SG-1.

SGU is an aim at taking the advantage of BSG's departure to rip fan looking for a fix in the genre and using a working environment in which ST:Voyager evolved in while at the same time milking an already popular franchise.

I've seen Stargate Worlds: I predict a disaster and epic failiure ?* la AoC (another attempt to milk the franchise). SGA was never better than BSG, there is no reason to think SGU will be better than BSG, ST:V or SGA for that matter.

Coming from a fan that has loved Stargate since the original movie, this is making me angry and sad at the time time.

They keep saying the same thing. Then Babylon 5 is only a DS9 clone. Why can't they understand there are some things which are the same in some series.

The production haven't begun yet and some people thinks they know what will the series be like. I say watch it in 2009. If you think it's good then watch it if not then found another sci-fi serie

Khentkawes
September 15th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Anyway, no it doesn't sound like StarTrek. It does sound a bit more like BSG but even then the comparisons are superficial from the information given. In fact based on what we have been told you could make it sound just about like any space based sci fi show, that doesn't mean it will be just like any of the others or that it will be bad.

Good point. We know relatively little about SGU right now. There is a lot of speculation, but very little that is certain (and there won't be until the show is filmed, because TPTB can always change their minds about some element of the show once they get into production).

From the sound of the initial plotline it feels a little bit star trekkish but in reality it's probably completely different. Quite a lot of people said that Atlantis would be Star Trek Voyager clone but in the end they're "slightly" different.

Thank you! I have mentioned several times that Atlantis was also compared to Voyager when it was first announced. But I was starting to think everyone else had erased that little fact from their memory.

Anyway, in the fact that they both are ship-based (as far as we know), then yes, SGU and ST are a little similar. But so much science fiction is ship-based... actually, I think SG-1 was probably in the minority because it was not ship-based.

kymeric
September 16th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Why did you say startrek and not buck rogers or lost in space? If youre gonna accuse of plagarism at least go back farther than 10 years.

Chevron Atlantis
September 16th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I think its a cross breed between ST and BSG, and maybe Farscape and Babylon 5 (mind you I haven't watched the last two shows) So I might be wrong here.

Sameera
September 16th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I think its a cross breed between ST and BSG, and maybe Farscape and Babylon 5 (mind you I haven't watched the last two shows) So I might be wrong here.

Now I wouldn't mind it if SGU has a little more alien variety like we saw in Farscape and Babylon 5. I know it is expensive, I am hoping that is one of the reasons for the budget increase that I have been hearing about. I would say maybe some puppet aliens like in Farscape or even Thor but those tend to cost a lot too. It took I believe 6 people to operate Thor, not including Shanks going back to do the voice. This made Thor the second most highly paid "actor" they had right next to RDA. What is kinda scary is if I recall in a commentary they said even that is cheaper then CGing him in if he has a number of appearances in an episode.

Anyway, I suppose the point is that I would like to see them be a little more creative with their aliens. I don't care if they are humanoid so much, just as long as they don't look like a human wearing different clothes with a few tattoos.

Khentkawes
September 16th, 2008, 08:50 PM

I never watched Babylon 5, but I have watched Farscape. And I can't imagine SGU being anything like Farscape. Farscape is just a little too... out there, especially since it sounds like they want SGU to be more mainstream, not less. Mind you, I love Farscape specifically because it is so "out there," but I'm not sure TPTB of Stargate would know what to do with it.

If I had to make a guess... maybe SGU will be like a cross between SG-1 and Star Trek:Enterprise. And I mean that in a good way. They both relied heavily on exploration (which I think TPTB know they have wandered away from in recent years). SG-1 was also more character-based, IMO, which is what one of the news articles said they wanted to focus on in SGU. And Enterprise had some of the darker, more modern edge (almost an experimental style) that some viewers seem to be looking for. If you put all of that together... well, it should be interesting.