Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does SGU sound like a rip off of Star Trek to you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does SGU sound like a rip off of Star Trek to you?

It sounds a lot like "Stargate meets Star Trek" to me. I mean, a ship, likely going from planet to planet each week and having an adventure each time?

Star Trek

All we need now is a new type of radiation every episode causing interference with whatever system we can invent any ship to have and we have Star Trek.

And a warp drive...

My Controls · Edit Signature · Edit Avatar

Comment

Yea, but when you think about it, theres only so much you can think of. In space sci-fi its either set in a station, a ship, or a ground base (cityship, sgc, not a very big difference storyvise). And while i remain sceptical, farscape and lexx were ship based too, but they were awsome and certainly not ST rippofs.

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

Originally posted by System Lord Baal View Post
        It sounds a lot like "Stargate meets Star Trek" to me. I mean, a ship, likely going from planet to planet each week and having an adventure each time?

Star Trek
        Or Farscape... Or Firefly... Or Andromeda *shudder*... Or... etc.

So, basically, no.

Comment

Yep every space based show is a Star Trek ripoff
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by System Lord Baal View Post

Star Trek
            Well, no, that would defeat the whole purpose of having Stargate's seeded at all wouldn't it? It's more likely that different worlds will be explored through the gate, and the ship will travel to new galaxies every so often...

Comment

Currently ? yeah it does, but ill wait and see if it ACTUALLY does when its on...its hard to tell now with the limited info, but JUST going off that limited info I do think it sounds like Stargate Voyager...but who knows ? it might be entirely different once its on.
              Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
              Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

No. It doesn't sound good, but it sounds nothing like Star Trek, you know, with the lack of a federation, and a utopian society and so forth...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Star Trek Invented Sci-Fi in space
                  BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

From what I've read, it sounds more like it will look like Battlestar Galactica than anything else and the way that is told and shown. That should be a good thing as I like watching BSG.

Comment

except no cylons, an entire fleet of ships, over dramatic or schizophrenic characters, odd filming angles, a whole lotta crap. and that ever mystery who is a cylon.
                      supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

No, but it does sound like every other cliche exploring-the-universe-in-a-spaceship show.

Comment

Well as for going from planet to planet and having an adventure each time, as I recall the early years of SG1 were a lot more "go from planet to planet and have an adventure each time" and yet the fans seemed to love those. Now we have the chance of something like that happening again and suddenly it is a horrible thing. Must be because the show will be based on a ship, regardless if they use the stargate the ship just changes too much. Or that is what it seems like some people may be saying.

Anyway, no it doesn't sound like StarTrek. It does sound a bit more like BSG but even then the comparisons are superficial from the information given. In fact based on what we have been told you could make it sound just about like any space based sci fi show, that doesn't mean it will be just like any of the others or that it will be bad.

I hope they give us some more info about the premise of the show soon, it would answer some of the questions we have and maybe get rid of some of the "it sounds just like (this) show" comparisons. Or at least give us the proper "this" show to compare it too.

Comment

From the sound of the initial plotline it feels a little bit star trekkish but in reality it's probably completely different. Quite a lot of people said that Atlantis would be Star Trek Voyager clone but in the end they're "slightly" different.

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                              Star Trek Invented Sci-Fi in space
                              your confusing Star Trek with Buck Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X