PDA

View Full Version : Large Hadron Collider experiment: Big Bang 2, time machine, stargate for satan

prion
September 9th, 2008, 09:45 AM
No, really, that's the title...

http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/shenews/2008/09/wednesdays-larg.html

Wednesday's Large Hadron Collider experiment: Big Bang 2, time machine, stargate for Satan?

The Large Hadron Collider -- a huge particle accelerator spanning the border between Switzerland and France deep underground -- will be turned on tomorrow. by CERN -- Conseil Europeen pour la Recherche Nucleaire, or the European Agency for Nuclear Research. View a live webcast of the event at 4 a.m. Eastern Time Sept. 10, at: http://webcast.cern.ch/.

and

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/09/09/2359378.htm
Atom-smashing scientists hope for the unexpected
Posted Tue Sep 9, 2008

Scientists involved in a historic "Big Bang" experiment to begin this week hope it will turn up many surprises about the universe and its origins, but have rejected suggestions it will bring the end of the world.

Alien invasion fears

CERN says its key researchers and many ordinary staff have been inundated by e-mails voicing fears about the experiment.

There have been claims that it will create "black holes" of intensive gravity sucking in CERN, Europe and perhaps the whole planet, or that it will open the way for beings from another universe to invade through a "worm hole" in space-time.

But a safety review by scientists at CERN and in the United States and Russia, issued at the weekend, rejected the prospect of such outcomes.

"The LHC will enable us to study in detail what nature is doing all around us," Professor Aymar, who has led CERN for five years, said in response to that review.

"The LHC is safe, and any suggestion that it might present a risk is pure fiction."

Professor Cox, from the School of Physics and Astronomy at Britain's Manchester University, was even more trenchant.

"I am immensely irritated by the conspiracy theorists who spread this nonsense around," he said.

*** There is some Stargate mention in the comments section on this article

REST AT LINKS ABOVE, plus you can google.com/news and find lots more on this event.

Admiral Mappalazarou
September 9th, 2008, 10:19 AM
'listen seedy:

09 Sep 2008 11:50:02am

You have been watching Stargate SG1 and believed it was true. The show is just science fiction and no more,'

Found it.

User_X
September 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Here come the Ori. Anyone studied up on their Origin yet? ;)

prion
September 9th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Here come the Ori. Anyone studied up on their Origin yet? ;)

Uh.... darn. no....

but wait, the other gloom and doom is that the world or universe will get sucked into a black hole... ;)

Shade_of_Chulak
September 9th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Hallowed are the ori...

Seriously tho, I have been reading this forum for years now and I know there are several knowledgeable people in the field of physics floating around. What are the scientific chances of anything going wrong? I have heard all of the stories of a black hole, mini universe expanding, nibiru invading etc etc. Is there a high enough scientific chance of something happening besides the desired intention of this machine?

Stan
September 9th, 2008, 01:07 PM
This idea that they might create a black hole that will engulf the world in four days leads to an idea for an SG-1 episode (shame they are no longer made).

Imagine a world where nearly all the energy resources are directed at containing such an accidently created black hole. They have to hide it from the general public whilst at the same time expended nearly all they're resources in containing it.

Laura Dove
September 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Imagine a world where nearly all the energy resources are directed at containing such an accidently created black hole. They have to hide it from the general public whilst at the same time expended nearly all they're resources in containing it.

It reminds me of "Earth" from David Brin too. :D But actually, I'd love that to happen:

or that it will open the way for beings from another universe to invade through a "worm hole" in space-time.

Yay wraith, come cull Earth through a wormhole from the Stargate universe! ;) (It sounds very manga, too: An army of demons coming to Earth through a tear in the fabric of the universe...)

prion
September 9th, 2008, 01:47 PM
This idea that they might create a black hole that will engulf the world in four days leads to an idea for an SG-1 episode (shame they are no longer made).

well, if a black hole has to happen, let's hope it sucks up all the politicians first so we can enjoy a little time without all the rhetoric from 'em ;)

Pitry
September 9th, 2008, 02:29 PM
You know those pictures they've been releasing of the LHC, I thought they were kinda Stargate-like ;)

And this must be the third forum I post this in - all these descriptions of what could go wrong remind me of hyperion.

EvenstarSRV
September 9th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hallowed are the ori...

Seriously tho, I have been reading this forum for years now and I know there are several knowledgeable people in the field of physics floating around. What are the scientific chances of anything going wrong? I have heard all of the stories of a black hole, mini universe expanding, nibiru invading etc etc. Is there a high enough scientific chance of something happening besides the desired intention of this machine?

I'm not a physics expert by any means, but I have read up a lot on quantum theory and such (I'm a science geek I can't help it :o), and you'd win the lottery long long before the LHC creates a black hole or strangelets and the like.

The very nature of quantum physics, esp. Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, means that nothing is impossible, there is always some extremely minute possibility that anything can happen. Like SGA getting a 6th season. :D

Agent_Dark
September 9th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Hallowed are the ori...

ridiculously small. Not impossible, but then again neither is the chance of Earth being hit by an asteroid we didn't detect. The Earth is continuously being hit by cosmic rays that have more energy than anything the LHC can put out, and if it can survive that then we should be alright.

Back during the Manhattan Project, there were a few people predicting nuclear explosions igniting firestorms in the atmosphere and burning the planet down. That is obviously ludicrous, since a nuclear energy contains nowhere near enough energy to do that if in fact igniting a firestorm in an atmosphere is even possible. We know quite alot more about science today than we did back then.

Though I do hope there's a crowbar handy for Dr Freeman in case of Unforeseen Consequences ;o

GateofDOOM
September 9th, 2008, 11:07 PM
If they manage to make a black hole it will last less then mere fractions of a second. There isn't enough mass or energy to sustain a black hole beyond that, let alone have it expand enough to swallow up the earth in a year (it's a year right? That's what they're saying?).

Masssive, MASSIVE Supernovae make sustainable black holes.

or...

If the earth and the moon were both traveling at the speed of light and collided it might make a sustainable black hole. Maybe.

Teeny, tiny particles?

Hmmm, I don't think so. Extremely unlikely.

Of course there's a chance that you may disappear and reappear on the other side of the universe instantaneously as well. But the odds are so small you'll be waiting longer then the lifetime of the universe for that to happen.

(Sorry if I come off a little snobby, I gots me a bugbear with things like this).

andy tyler
September 9th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Yeah i read somewhere that there is a very small and remote chance a mini black hole could be created and the entire earth could be destroyed.

Oh well, i guess i'll be holding my breath tomorrow.

Laura Dove
September 9th, 2008, 11:39 PM
The Earth is continuously being hit by cosmic rays that have more energy than anything the LHC can put out, and if it can survive that then we should be alright.

Actually, the natural cosmic rays constantly hitting Earth (and about everything in the universe) at higher energy do not sound very convincing. There are things that happen only within certain energy range: Higher energy does not necessarily means more likely to happen.

On the other hand, even if black holes were to be created, they would be so small they would evaporate before anything could happen.

That is, if we believe physics theory is reasonably accurate. But if we don't, there is no reason to even believe in black holes and strangelets, is there?

Agent_Dark
September 10th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Actually, the natural cosmic rays constantly hitting Earth (and about everything in the universe) at higher energy do not sound very convincing. There are things that happen only within certain energy range: Higher energy does not necessarily means more likely to happen.

On the other hand, even if black holes were to be created, they would be so small they would evaporate before anything could happen.

That is, if we believe physics theory is reasonably accurate. But if we don't, there is no reason to even believe in black holes and strangelets, is there?
If Stephen Hawking is ok with it, then we all should be too.

PuddleJumper42
September 10th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Yeah i read somewhere that there is a very small and remote chance a mini black hole could be created and the entire earth could be destroyed.

Oh well, i guess i'll be holding my breath tomorrow.

It's something like 1 in 1 trillion.

I kind of feel for the scientists doing this. "Remember, if you screw up you could destroy the entire planet. No pressure." :D

Laura Dove
September 10th, 2008, 01:56 AM
It's something like 1 in 1 trillion.
I kind of feel for the scientists doing this. "Remember, if you screw up you could destroy the entire planet. No pressure." :D

LOL, it sounds so much like what Sheppard would say to McKay. Is Rodney in the CERN now? They I AM frightened! ;)

SerpentGuard
September 10th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Ok this is just my opinion but i think they have done all this stuff before in secret and are now getting ready to do it for the public because it is soo amazing....but if the world ends, was nice being on these forums:P

prion
September 10th, 2008, 04:54 AM
LOL, it sounds so much like what Sheppard would say to McKay. Is Rodney in the CERN now? They I AM frightened! ;)

Then we only lose 5/6th of the planet! ;)

Agent_Dark
September 10th, 2008, 05:07 AM
http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/3595/largehadronhy3.jpg

Pitry
September 10th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Then we only lose 5/6th of the planet! ;)

Ah, that's okay then. Not a big lose. 70% is water, anyway! :D

prion
September 10th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Ah, that's okay then. Not a big lose. 70% is water, anyway! :D

HA!

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/09/the-bosons-that.html

Worst Case: Scientists inadvertently make a micro black hole, and the earth is quickly erased from existence. Just kidding: scientists at CERN and elsewhere have ruled out the possibility that the LHC will create any kind of doomsday scenario. The black holes that the LHC could theoretically create don't even have enough energy to light up a light bulb. On the other hand, the U.K.'s Astronomer Royal put the odds of destroying the world at 1 in 50 million (which puts it in the realm of possibilities but still not as likely as hitting the lottery).

So, no ROdney-like disaster coming soon.... and wow, I do have a chance of winning the lottery! (probably the day before the planet is sucked into a black vortex) ;)

Flyboy
September 10th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Though if we WERE being sucked into a black hole... would we KNOW about it? Thanks to the time dilation...

Stan
September 10th, 2008, 01:17 PM
well, if a black hole has to happen, let's hope it sucks up all the politicians first so we can enjoy a little time without all the rhetoric from 'em ;)

Cows apparently face north-south so placing this device in Switzerland was a cunning plan because of all the cow-bells. First thing you'll notice they'll all invert with a tinkle.

Agent_Dark
September 10th, 2008, 02:46 PM
http://www.users.on.net/~sssfreak/IRL%20Gman.jpg

prion
September 10th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Cows apparently face north-south so placing this device in Switzerland was a cunning plan because of all the cow-bells. First thing you'll notice they'll all invert with a tinkle.

I anxiously await the YouTube video! ;)

Mcfergeson
September 10th, 2008, 04:30 PM
They turn this on, yet?

Are we still here?

It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine.

smurf
September 10th, 2008, 04:55 PM
You'll be fine for a few more weeks, they haven't switched on the proton smashing bit yet.

Don't make any plans for Thanksgiving, though.

Mcfergeson
September 10th, 2008, 04:58 PM
You'll be fine for a few more weeks, they haven't switched on the photon smashing bit yet.

Well, at least Halloween's safe! *whew!*

Traveler Enroute1
September 10th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Ha! All those doom and gloom blathers and nothing happened to us! We're still
>>>
<<<
<<<
>>>
:S

jenks
September 11th, 2008, 07:53 AM
The experiment that could possibly create micro black holes hasn't started yet, and probably won't for at least another month. Not that it makes a difference, it's not going to be a disaster anyway, just the media trying to sell papers...

Flyboy
September 11th, 2008, 07:59 AM
The experiment that could possibly create micro black holes hasn't started yet, and probably won't for at least another month. Not that it makes a difference, it's not going to be a disaster anyway, just the media trying to sell papers...
Everyone knows we're safe until 2012 anyway.

thekillman
September 11th, 2008, 08:34 AM
i like the stargate mentions, as opposed to trek and war

thekillman
September 11th, 2008, 08:36 AM
PLEASE DONT GO THROUGH WITH IT!!
Why cant they just leave everything be!!, their have the weight of the world on their shoulders and their is a chance that it's going to happen!! I'm only 15 and i'm scared for my life!! I dont like living in fear! I dont want to wake up tomorrow knowing that i could die in a few hours : ( i was on the verge of crying earlier because i'm that scared!!

PLEASE DONT START THAT DEATH TRAP!!

* dies laughing*

prion
September 11th, 2008, 11:00 AM
You'll be fine for a few more weeks, they haven't switched on the photon smashing bit yet.

As long as I can see "Remnants," I'm okay with the black hole ;)

Jumper_One
September 11th, 2008, 12:11 PM
* dies laughing*

LOL also :P

if this is the end of earth, the universe and everything i would like to say steven hawking is a noooooooooooooob for blowing up the world

smurf
September 11th, 2008, 02:45 PM
As long as I can see "Remnants," I'm okay with the black hole ;)
I expect you'll be able to watch the SGA movie in the time it would take to get a black hole up to a sufficient mass.

The comments on the articles are very :rolleyes: and I bet the posters are thinking they've dodged the bullet now. Little do they know... :D

Of course, the big question is; why do I keep reading the name as a the Large Hadron Colander? *sigh*

Gate Geek
September 11th, 2008, 04:16 PM
*sigh* Is the world really that obsessed with doom and gloom and destruction?

Am I the only one EXCITED about this experiment??? I'm charged! I can't wait to see the results!

Let's get rapping with Hadron!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM

leeman15251
September 11th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I'm tired of hearing about how this will cause the end of the world. I'm more afraid of an Alien invading than a black hole from LGC.

Agent_Dark
September 11th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I'm tired of hearing about how this will cause the end of the world. I'm more afraid of an Alien invading than a black hole from LGC.

What if it the LHC causes a resonance cascade that creates an inter dimensional portal to an alien borderworld, allowing the alien mastermind to send an army through to attack Earth?

Korean_Turtle87
September 11th, 2008, 07:53 PM
oh we are sooo screwed. Let's just hope they don't cause a tear in the fabric of the universe....or cause a black hole either...

Ethell
September 11th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Hey guys, I'm actually in Physics, and I know professors who work on he LHC project, and I've attended many conferences on the subject, so I know my stuff...

And I promise you, we won't die swallowed by a black hole!!

Except if by the miracle of quantum mechanics one randomly gets created near the earth, but then again with QM almost anything's possible so let's no go there :P

Well, actually, it does require high energy to create a black hole, like infinitely high energy. So yes, it makes it more likely to happen for cosmis rays. But the fact is, it obviously didn't, or we wouldn't be here to talk about it. Or maybe it did, but Stephen Hawking is right about his theory of the Hawking radiation that states those black holes would evaporate in seconds.

Ok this is just my opinion but i think they have done all this stuff before in secret and are now getting ready to do it for the public because it is soo amazing....

No they haven't :P I've been there over the summer, the LHC wasn't completed until very recently.

Am I the only one EXCITED about this experiment??? I'm charged! I can't wait to see the results!

I am too!! :D It's a very exciting time for physicists!! I can't wait for the moment they'll actually start colliding the two beams!

GateofDOOM
September 11th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Everyone knows we're safe until 2012 anyway.

The MAYANS knew ALL ALONG!!!

Those crafty fellas!

;)

Jeff O'Connor
September 11th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Creating a black hole as diminutive as they've theorized, I don't think we'd have much to concern ourselves about in that regard.

Honestly, I'm mainly worried that a plethora of things going wrong could spell disaster for the site; thankfully, at least, no one is ever down there when it's turned on. Well, they'd be toast to begin with, but yeah. I just hope nothing goes wrong after all that time and money spent toward this goal.

Ethell
September 11th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Those crafty fellas!

Exactly :D

It's quite funny because some people now claim it will take 4 years before we feel the horrendous repercussions of the experiment... which brings us to 2012!!

Yes, we're all doomed!

Did any of you read Joe Mallozzi's blog about this? It was pretty funny :P

(Spoilered for length)
Some “experts” claim it may take up to four years for Earth to experience the planet-killing repercussions of this most heinous of scientific experiments. Four years! That should put the apocalypse sometime in 2012…which just so happens to be the end of the Ancient Mayan calendar! Coincidence? Maybe. Until you factor in Nostradamus!

Nostradamus was a 16th century astronomer/astrologer whose astonishingly accurate prophecies have astounded septics and skeptics alike. Among his famous fulfilled prophecies:

The blood of the just will be demanded of London,
Burnt by the fire in the year 66

- Predicted the fire of London on September 2, 1666.

Before the war comes,
the great wall will fall,
The King will be executed, his death coming too soon will be lamented.
(The guards) will swim in blood,
Near the River Seine the soil will be bloodied.

- Predicted the storming of the Bastille and the French Revolution.

The year 1999 seven month,
From the sky will come a great King of terror:
To bring back to life the great King of Angolmois, (the Mongols),
Before after Mars to reign by good luck

- Predicted the 1999 MTV premiere of the Tom Green Show that launched the career of the execrable comedian.

The Eastern kings shall carry out the Divine Justice.
Turkey shall be devastated.

- Predicted the Boston Red Sox capturing the 2007 NL East pennant and then devastating perennial MLB turkeys The Cleveland Indians enroute to winning the World Series.

And here’s what Nostradamus had to say about what sounds suspiciously like the Hadron Collider:

Every night in my dreams
I see you, I feel you,
That is how I know you go on
Far across the distance
And spaces between us
You have come to show you go on

Near, far, wherever you are
I believe that the heart does go on
Once more you open the door
And you’re here in my heart
And my heart will go on and on

Scary, no?

Here's the link: Joe Mallozzi's blog (http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/09/09/september-9-2008-john-twelve-hawks-makes-contact-david-anthony-durham-accepts-our-invitation-brian-lumley-is-in-cern-destroys-the-planet-eventually-and-the-fx-stage-tour-part-ii/)

Laura Dove
September 11th, 2008, 11:49 PM
What if it the LHC causes a resonance cascade that creates an inter dimensional portal to an alien borderworld, allowing the alien mastermind to send an army through to attack Earth?

Now that would be the best news in ages! :D ;)

Did any of you read Joe Mallozzi's blog about this? It was pretty funny :P
Here's the link: Joe Mallozzi's blog (http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/09/09/september-9-2008-john-twelve-hawks-makes-contact-david-anthony-durham-accepts-our-invitation-brian-lumley-is-in-cern-destroys-the-planet-eventually-and-the-fx-stage-tour-part-ii/)

He he, I read it and loved it. I usually don't enjoy much his "humour" that sounds more rude and arrogant than funny, but this one was absolutely hilarious.

thekillman
September 12th, 2008, 02:54 AM
im exited too, i hope they find the higgs boson, or some new cool stuff

Flyboy
September 12th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Those crafty fellas!

;)
Damn right they did.

Agent_Dark
September 12th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Now that would be the best news in ages! :D ;)

Good news, you can train (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-Life_(video_game)) for it already

Flyboy
September 12th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Ye gads! I better start barricading my home...

*runns off to find the razor wire and sandbags*

Artifysial
September 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM
You know those pictures they've been releasing of the LHC, I thought they were kinda Stargate-like ;)

And this must be the third forum I post this in - all these descriptions of what could go wrong remind me of hyperion.

That's what I thought ! It's underground, it looks like somehing that might be under Cheyenne Mountain

BBC4 prog asked commenting scientists what they thought - they said black holes extremely unlikely plus we are all still here OR ARE WE ? just kidding...

Pitry
September 13th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Well, I'm not here.

I'm definitely there.

SGalisa
September 13th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Okay, I've resisted this topic for a few days, but just had to reinforce the rest of these comments.. :p

.. :D

It's quite funny because some people now claim it will take 4 years before we feel the horrendous repercussions of the experiment... which brings us to 2012!!

Yes, we're all doomed!

That's what I thought ! It's underground, it looks like somehing that might be under Cheyenne Mountain

SG-1 came first.. Season 2, eppy "A Matter of Time"
funny how the black hole started underground, and only after it was getting too late, it grew so big and strong that it started sucking in the rest of earth.. underground..

For many, many months now, CERN has been dubbed as the *CERN Stargate* on the raidersnewsnetwork web site -- in many of their news article links. I've also seen it referred that way in a few other places, as well.
hmmmmm... :eek:

oh we are sooo screwed. Let's just hope they don't cause a tear in the fabric of the universe....or cause a black hole either...

did CERN hire any Samantha Carter or super genius Dr. Rodney McKay types, by any chance..?? :D
:p