AMRAAMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMRAAMs

So many times in both SG-1 and Atlantis have I seen pilots fire their AIM-120 AMRAAMs in space. But I've read that the AMRAAM depends on tailfins for directional adjustments, which would mean that the fins are worthless in airless space. So how do the AMRAAMs change directions in space? Are they modified?
    “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus one day, so I never have to live without you.”
    ~WtP

doh.

Comment

Originally posted by baopham View Post
      So many times in both SG-1 and Atlantis have I seen pilots fire their AIM-120 AMRAAMs in space. But I've read that the AMRAAM depends on tailfins for directional adjustments, which would mean that the fins are worthless in airless space. So how do the AMRAAMs change directions in space? Are they modified?
      Of course there's air in space... how else would we be able to hear the explosions, and weapons firing and the "woooosh" fighters make when they fly really fast ?

Seriously now... maybe they use small maneuvering thrusters

Comment

Or Thrust vectoring. Some upperstages on real life launch vehicles rely solely on thrust vectoring and not attitude thrusters.
        When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
        Zatnikitelman

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
          Or Thrust vectoring. Some upperstages on real life launch vehicles rely solely on thrust vectoring and not attitude thrusters.
          But thrust vectoring nozzles are more likely to break or malfunction, and Earth has always come across as adapting existing technoogy to make the best use of it.

Comment

their is a little hamster that bangs on one side of the missile to make it go that way
            supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

or it works like an ICBM the fins deflect some of the exaust gases the fins extend past the end of the missile.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Or it has inirta displacement aiblity thing

Go Green

Comment

THRUST VECTORING.

Someone said it, but it needs to be repeated. It's used on modern "sidewinders" and is planned to be implemented on the next AMRAAMs. It's also used on F-22s.
                  sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Nope, all wrong... except the dude with the hamster idea... hes right...

Hamsters shall rule the world!
                    Bow down to your new Hamster overlords!

Comment

Plothole, just like the dart bays in hives. It should kill everbody inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris_x-303 View Post
                        Nope, all wrong... except the dude with the hamster idea... hes right...

Hamsters shall rule the world!
                        Bow down to your new Hamster overlords!
                        buwhaaaaaaa
                        supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
                          Or it has inirta displacement aiblity thing
                          Inertial dampening has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Best Stargate quote:
                          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                          Green is your friend.

Comment

Though the Goa'uld had a drive which took inertia out of the equasion.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalAlteran View Post
                              Though the Goa'uld had a drive which took inertia out of the equasion.
                              Inertia only matters when there is a pilot involved because the g-forces of extreme acceleration would crush a person. Putting that on a missile would do absolutely nothing. Its just dead weight.

Best Stargate quote:
                              Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                              Green is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X