PDA

View Full Version : Why will or won't u watch SGU??

Pages : [1] 2

quade_1
September 8th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I want to know whether you will or won't be watching Stargate Universe and WHY!!!! and i don't want to hear the whining about "i won't watch because they cancelled SGA". That doesn't fly, the show is over suck it up and move on.

I personally will be watching atleast the first 5 episodes of SGU to give it a chance. I don't like what I have been hearing about the new series but I have faith in the writers, directors and producers. They have produced great TV since SG-1 began and i have been a fan since '99.

Yes: 1
No: 0

lets keep a running total

Alteran of Atlantis
September 8th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I wil watch Universe. The story sounds interesting, even if the target is a "younger audience." TPTB haven't told us how young, and I doubt the target will be anything under 20. New viewers are always good. Besides, Stargate already attracts younger viewers as it is. Fourteen-year-old speaking here.

I am angry about Atlantis's cancellation, but I'll give Universe a chance.

Yes: 2

JadedWraith
September 8th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I would see it too, if I had the chance.

But I will be highly critical. I had the same approach to SGA and, with time, I ended up a fan. Watching a new show is like learning a new language. It takes time...and some will power.

aussuu
September 8th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I will definetly Watch it. How else will I get my weekly fix!!!

Yes: 4

Pepermint Jaffa
September 8th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I loved SG-1 and SGA; of course I'll watch SGU.

Yes: 5

Flyboy
September 8th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Yes: 6

Livestick
September 8th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I'll watch the pilot. If that's good, I'll continue to watch. If it sucks as much as it sounds like it will, I will discontinue.

Yes: 7

Jumper_One
September 8th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Yes: 8

Jack_Bauer
September 8th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Yes: 9

I will watch the pilot to give these writers a chance to come up with something new. If its same old same old, wat the point of me watching? especially when i have seen it b4....

Aricosaur
September 8th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Yes: 10

Of course. Other than the odd few episodes, I've greatly enjoyed SG-1 and Atlantis. Why would I expect Universe to be different? Now if it turns into a BSG ripoff I'll tune-out real quick....

the fifth man
September 8th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Yes, I am definitely going to give Universe a fair shot. I loved SG-1, and have grown to really like Atlantis. So TPTB, overall, have not given me any reason to doubt their story-telling abilities. I look forward to seeing what SGU has in store for us.

Yes: 11

Korean_Turtle87
September 8th, 2008, 06:42 PM
The producers have given us great episodes so far, and I have faith in them. So, I hope their new possible restrictions won't screw the show

Yes:12
No:0

Ganthet Jr.
September 8th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I can't wait for it to start! Yes, I will be watching it.

Why? Because I have no reason not to yet.

Ackeb
September 8th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I will watch it, I have faith in the Stargate franchise and all those behind it.
Yes:14

IcarusAbides
September 8th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I will definately be watching SGU, i think a lot of the people who say they are going to boycott it will give in and give it a chance, stargate is the opium of the masses and all.

Yes:15

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
September 8th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Yep: 16
Nope: 0

Cryowolf
September 8th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I'll watch it because it's Stargate and I will give it a chance before I judge it, if it's good I'll follow it and if it's not I'll stop watching. I'll give it a season though, because honestly...SG1 didn't get good until end of S1 and neither did Atlantis IMHO, so if they follow that trend I know what will happen :p

sooo...
Yes: 17

Darynlxm
September 8th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I will watch it. As someone said earlier, I will be critical of it, but only becuase Im that way with all new shows.

But I do want to give it a fair chance before I either watch every week or blow it off.

Yes: 18

Major_Griff
September 8th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I will be watching.

1. I started watching SG-1 when I was 8 or 9 years old during the second season. I pretty much grew up on Stargate. Therefore I have a loyalty to the franchise that others may not feel who only started watching more recently or even those who were older when they started watching back in 97.

2. The current PTB are the people behind two of my favorite tv shows ever (SG-1 and SGA). In my opinion, they deserve the benefit of the doubt, despite some disturbing comments that were made (Younger Audience, more mainstream).

3. The premise has a lot of potential. I have faith in the ptb that that potential will not be wasted.

That said, if the show sucks, I not going to keep watching it if it doesn't improve in a reasonable amount of time. There are many shows that I have hated the first episode the first time I saw it and ended up loving the series after giving it a few more episodes. Arrested Development was like that for me. I hated it at first, but gave it a couple of episodes and it turns out that its my second favorite sitcom ever (after Scrubs).

Yes:19

(What happened to all the haters?!)

Laura Dove
September 9th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Unless wraith are part of the main cast or SGU gets exceptionally good reviews when it airs, I probably won't, for the same reason why I don't watch the countless other shows out there: I don't watch TV.

I have to add the premise doesn't even sound interesting: No way to revisit previous storylines? New alien of the week again and again? It can produce individually good episodes, but it gets old fast.

Yes: 19
No: 1

SierraGolf-OneNiner
September 9th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Yes: 20

If they keep Mallozzi and Mulli as far away as possible from SGU I will give it a chance. I hated SGA Season 4 and am currently totally disappointed with Season 5.

jenks
September 9th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Well there's no accounting for bad taste...

NIMBUS
September 9th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Yes: 21
im serial addict ofc il watch it *thumb up*

Hong3103
September 9th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Yes: 22

I'll give it a chance. If it flops I'll just stick to watching SG1 and SGA series/movie DVD's to get my fix!

I_haz_a_Cookie
September 9th, 2008, 09:17 AM
i will watch a couple episode and make my own decision....cause im pretty much on the verge of just leaving the SG franchise as it is becuase of atlantis

so yes not a stable yes but a yes none the less

Yes: 22

ruach
September 9th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Yes 23. Why on Earth or any other planet would anyone who is a fan of SG-1 and/or Atlantis not give it a chance?

jelgate
September 9th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Yes 23. Why on Earth or any other planet would anyone who is a fan of SG-1 and/or Atlantis not give it a chance?Proabably because their are SG1 only fans and Atlantis only fans.

rejrej1
September 9th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Of course I'll watch it!!!

5 seasons of SA was great, and movies will keep me happy, but there is only so much you can do with a space station/outpost: look at DS9 and B5. They were great series, but the aliens had to come to them, and invasion after invasion gets old after a while.

The Stat Trek space travel series were really exciting, even Voyager had moments of brilliance. BSG was also very exciting, but often a bit heavy with drama, still fantastic, though.

If SU can take the best elements of BSG and Star Trek, with SG1 writing, well, SU sounds like one of the best premises for space travel in a while. I am keen for it, and younger audiences ...bah! I'm young at heart: bring it on!

5000 : 0

Laura Dove
September 9th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Proabably because their are SG1 only fans and Atlantis only fans.

Exactly. Wraith are an integral part of why I watch SGA, so remove them and you remove my main motivation. Add to that the probable absence of story arc (as is the case in SGA season 5 so far, by the way), and you will get a show that might be pleasant to watch from time to time, but which I probably won't care enough to buy the DVDs.

IcarusAbides
September 9th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Unless wraith are part of the main cast or SGU gets exceptionally good reviews when it airs, I probably won't, for the same reason why I don't watch the countless other shows out there: I don't watch TV.

I have to add the premise doesn't even sound interesting: No way to revisit previous storylines? New alien of the week again and again? It can produce individually good episodes, but it gets old fast.

Yes: 19

No one knows if there will be a new foe each week, there could be enemies which control vast sectors, of course the show will hinge on the writing and the ratings but we don't know how the idea will pan out currently and so we can't judge the show on hearsay without giving it a chance, nice to see an opposing view in the thread though, was getting a bit one sided.

Laura Dove
September 9th, 2008, 12:16 PM
No one knows if there will be a new foe each week, there could be enemies which control vast sectors, of course the show will hinge on the writing and the ratings but we don't know how the idea will pan out currently and so we can't judge the show on hearsay without giving it a chance, nice to see an opposing view in the thread though, was getting a bit one sided.

Because we haven't seen it (and it's not even written AFAIK), we can't know for sure it will be good either. ;) The thing is that as they emphasised the impossibility for people to come back if they are left behind, I conclude that it will be true for the enemies too. Either there is no way for people to come back or there is one, but if there is none, we can't have recurring figures (unless they belong to non-corporeal beings, but I'm not fond of the idea either). My guess, and what would be better IMO, is that they will quickly forget the "they can't come back" part. After a few episodes that will be used to build the tension, some people WILL be able to come back on the long term, because either they'll have ships too or inter-galactic gates or something.

Anyway, I'm a great, great wraith fan, and don't care much for the human characters although I like them. There is little chance a show without wraith will catch my interest, even if it's good (which I hope for the sake of less picky fans ;) ).

Girlbot
September 9th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Since it has the word Stargate in it, I of course will give it a try, but I'm quite sure it won't take me long to decide if I am for, or against it.
Right now I have mixed emotions as to which of those scenarios will win out.

Oceanic_Jack
September 9th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Yes: 24

I'll give it a chance like any other programme. If I like it i'll keep watching, if I don't I won't. I didn't get into Atlantis right away so i'll most likely watch the first season of Universe before passing final judgement.

Inty
September 9th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I will watch it because at the end of the day it still IS Stargate.

Yes: 25

Hong3103
September 9th, 2008, 03:05 PM
The Stat Trek space travel series were really exciting, even Voyager had moments of brilliance. BSG was also very exciting, but often a bit heavy with drama, still fantastic, though.

If SU can take the best elements of BSG and Star Trek, with SG1 writing, well, SU sounds like one of the best premises for space travel in a while. I am keen for it, and younger audiences ...bah! I'm young at heart: bring it on!
5000 : 0

Exactly... I really liked BSG because it was all about the techno babble and the Drama was what kept me coming back episode after episode. But I do like a bit of Techno related episodes of ST and SG... so if it has all those then I'll definitely give SGU a chance...

Karhedron
September 9th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Not going to watch. And of course there might be very good and interesting episodes but I don't want to be treated as a viewer like I was for two times now. I just like shows with a definite end...no matter how long they run.
After MGM experiencing the cash flow out of the DVD-movies from SG1 I just think that SGU will share the fate of SG1 and SGA : "You want to know how it "ends"? Buy the DVDs!"
So I'd rather watch a 3 season show with a well written end to it than that open-end-dvd-sales crap again. I would just be disappointed even after (possible) years of entertainment.

No : 2

Pegasus_SGA
September 9th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I want to know whether you will or won't be watching Stargate Universe and WHY!!!! and i don't want to hear the whining about "i won't watch because they cancelled SGA". That doesn't fly, the show is over suck it up and move on.

I personally will be watching atleast the first 5 episodes of SGU to give it a chance. I don't like what I have been hearing about the new series but I have faith in the writers, directors and producers. They have produced great TV since SG-1 began and i have been a fan since '99.

That's very rude of you. If you're asking for an opinion, of will you watch and WHY, then you have to be willing to hear them all; irrespective of whether you want to hear them or not. :) Otherwise why post the question in the first place?

And since it was an open question, No I probably won't watch, because they canceled Atlantis. ;)

Jackie
September 9th, 2008, 04:38 PM
yes: 26
no: 3

I will watch if it's on at a reasonable time and night. I don't think it will be as good as early SG-1 but more along the lines of recent SGA, last 2 seasons of sg-1. Which I hated.

However, I could lie and say I will give the show chance out of the kindness of my heart or that with a new show there is new possibilities. But, in reality I have found a new sport out of the recent seasons of both shows.

I call it "armchair critic" where you look for plotholes, wtf moments and absolute duh moments. It's like the game "where's Waldo" but in this case it's "where's the boo boos."

I look forward to the new series cause I expect many, many boo boos and I expect to have lots to talk about on the anti threads. Bring on Mystery Science Theater Stargate style.

prion
September 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I'll give the first episode/pilot a try. If it doesn't appeal to me, I won't bother, and the whole PR stuff smacks of Star Trek VOyager, and that theme is BORNG. Been there, done that.

A lot will depend on casting, and of course, writing.

Bytor
September 9th, 2008, 06:21 PM
yes: 26
no: 3

I will watch if it's on at a reasonable time and night. I don't think it will be as good as early SG-1 but more along the lines of recent SGA, last 2 seasons of sg-1. Which I hated.

However, I could lie and say I will give the show chance out of the kindness of my heart or that with a new show there is new possibilities. But, in reality I have found a new sport out of the recent seasons of both shows.

I call it "armchair critic" where you look for plotholes, wtf moments and absolute duh moments. It's like the game "where's Waldo" but in this case it's "where's the boo boos."

I look forward to the new series cause I expect many, many boo boos and I expect to have lots to talk about on the anti threads. Bring on Mystery Science Theater Stargate style.

good for you, i hope you have a neilsons ratings box.

Madwelshboy
September 10th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Im gonna do the same as i did with Atlantis, watch the pilot and episode 3-5 to get a feel for the show. if i think its good an im enjoying it ill keep watchin, if i dont enjoy it i wont keep watchin. simple as.

beale947
September 10th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Yes because it's stargate, and Atlantis was cancelled for it, so for Atlantis's sake (and for stargate in general) I will give it a chance.

Yes: 27

quade_1
September 10th, 2008, 09:25 AM
That's very rude of you. If you're asking for an opinion, of will you watch and WHY, then you have to be willing to hear them all; irrespective of whether you want to hear them or not. :) Otherwise why post the question in the first place?

And since it was an open question, No I probably won't watch, because they canceled Atlantis. ;)

I am just sick of hearing "because they cancelled Atlantis". Thats a cop-out, its like saying "because". I would expect that answer from a 4yr old child when they were asked why they didn't clean their room. The show is over, instead of whining about it, how about saying, hey thanks for making 100 episodes of my favorite show ever and i can't wait until the movies!!

jasminaGo
September 10th, 2008, 09:43 AM
No: 4

No! I watched stargate bacause it was something different from all the other sci-fi show. Universe sounds like ST meets SW meets Farscape, and the name "Stargate" is there just to attract the old fanbase. If something doesn't get my attention from the first time I hear about it, there is no point in wasting my time.

jenks
September 10th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Can't a mod just make this into a poll?

quade_1
September 10th, 2008, 09:50 AM

No! I watched stargate bacause it was something different from all the other sci-fi show. Universe sounds like ST meets SW meets Farscape, and the name "Stargate" is there just to attract the old fanbase. If something doesn't get my attention from the first time I hear about it, there is no point in wasting my time.

good quality answer, thats what i want to read. i have no prejudice against the SGU haters, i just want to know why.

Pic
September 10th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Yes: 28

Because there are no self-help support groups or scifi-annonymous in my neighborhood ... ;)

Pegasus_SGA
September 10th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I am just sick of hearing "because they cancelled Atlantis". Thats a cop-out, its like saying "because". I would expect that answer from a 4yr old child when they were asked why they didn't clean their room. The show is over, instead of whining about it, how about saying, hey thanks for making 100 episodes of my favorite show ever and i can't wait until the movies!!

You may be sick of it, but maybe for people they are the reasons they wont' be watching. How is it like a 4 year old throwing a tantrum? Because they feel they've been slighted, after showing years of support to the franchise? Things were going well and they pulled the plug, because of SGU. If you don't believe that, that again is your perogative. However, if it wasn't as a result of that, then their timing quite frankly sucks, and they need to replace their PR personnel. :lol: Now, getting back to your point. Yes, this is your thread, and you're entitled to pose your question however you please, however by limiting/curtailing people's responses you're not going to get a true reflection of why people will or won't watch a show. If that's what you're going for, fine. That's your prerogative, just like mine is to answer your question and elaborate. And my point is that I probably won't watch because I believe it was canceled for SGU. If you don't want to hear that, that's fine, but you don't have the right to tell me what I can or cannot say, especially since you asked the question to begin with. The only person that has the authority to moderate my post/voice is the mods, not you.

And for the record i've said thanks and will be watching the movies, been there done that, but that wasn't your question was it? And whining? Please. I'll save that for when I really do throw a hissy fit. Trust me, you'll know it when you see it. ;)

gange57
September 10th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I'll watch the first half of the season for two reasons.

First off, curiosity has got the best of me because I find the premise ridiculously stupid. Everything that has been discussed makes SGU sound like some bad virtual series. The ninth chevron connects to a spaceship anywhere in the universe? Our intrepid heroes have to remain on the ship's schedule for fear of being left behind? Simply dreadful.

Secondly, and more importantly, the fanwank is strong with this one. Everything I have read about SGU leads me to believe that it will be distinctly different from its predecessors. I think the whole younger-vibe, late-2000s-vs.-'90s, and space-opera thing will leave some fans dismissing SGU as anything but "Stargate." It will be fun to watch the fan's reactions.

Who knows? Maybe, I'll even end up liking it...nah, who am I kidding? With the current TPTB, it'll probably be more of the same with different window dressing. :sheppardanime21:

quade_1
September 10th, 2008, 10:53 AM
it is being childish by saying, i won't watch Universe because it replaced Atlantis. Why not just hold your breath and stomp your feet? If you have a valid reason not to, then i will accept that and i started this thread to see what peoples reasons were. You believe that Atlantis was cut short, but I was surprised it made it through its weak 2nd and 3rd seasons, the episodes weren't that great and the ratings dropped dramatically. We are all entitled to your own opinion, and i am not trying to stop you from saying what you want. I would just like a valid reason why you won't give Universe a chance. Is it not your style, do u not like ships, drama, or a younger cast?

Linda06
September 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Well I won't be watching it.....At 35 i'm too old remember...They want a "younger" audience :rolleyes: And on the contrary to what some preson thinks at scifi i don't need my next "fix"...If i want a fix i've got a nice collection of SG-1 and Atlantis DVD's to watch :D

And yes i blame SGU for the cancellation of SGA...I don't like the way they treated us loyal fans who've supported the franchise for a number of yeasr so i won't be givivng them sny more of my support after SGA is finished..

Alos i'm not interested in watching voyager 2 or BSG if that's what their going for!

No: 5

Pegasus_SGA
September 10th, 2008, 11:04 AM
it is being childish by saying, i won't watch Universe because it replaced Atlantis. Why not just hold your breath and stomp your feet? If you have a valid reason not to, then i will accept that and i started this thread to see what peoples reasons were. You believe that Atlantis was cut short, but I was surprised it made it through its weak 2nd and 3rd seasons, the episodes weren't that great and the ratings dropped dramatically. We are all entitled to your own opinion, and i am not trying to stop you from saying what you want. I would just like a valid reason why you won't give Universe a chance. Is it not your style, do u not like ships, drama, or a younger cast?

Why is it childish? As far as i'm concerned it's a terrible business decision, not smart at all. To run an untried and tested product, and run it based purely on the belief that watchers will remain loyal as they've done so in the past. I feel it's conceited, and misplaced loyalty. Then to replace a product that's doing well and making money? How is that smart business? I've supported the franchise for the last 14 years and at this point in time i'm saying thanks, but no thanks I disagree with the decision they're making by canceling SGA. And the only way I believe people will learn by their mistakes is by my not supporting that mistake and allowing it to continue. Isn't that watch you teach your kids? You tell them it's wrong and you explain why, and you don't reinforce the mistake. Seems quite logical to me. So tantrum? I think not, maybe in your eyes, but not in mine.

I do believe SGA was canceled for SGU, i've been in contract negotiations a long time, and understand what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe not for a TV franchise, but other business areas I do, and a contract negotiation and agreement, doesn't take a few days. This for me is too coincidental one series canceled whilst another one gets the green light. They've already said they couldn't run the two simultaneously due to budgets, resources etc... so what does that say to you?

quade_1
September 10th, 2008, 12:14 PM
As far as i'm concerned it's a terrible business decision, not smart at all.

Maybe thats why your not a CEO of a multi-billion dollar entertainment company?

Then to replace a product that's doing well and making money? How is that smart business?

How do you know Atlantis is making money? It's ratings are at the lowest in the franchise history, and after 5 years the actors start asking for large sums of money. Season 4 Joe grossed just under $1M. Its no surprised Amanda was only on for 1 season, after SG-1 she is probably making double that.

Isn't that watch you teach your kids? You tell them it's wrong and you explain why, and you don't reinforce the mistake.

When you explain why, do you tell them, "because"?

I do believe SGA was canceled for SGU, i've been in contract negotiations a long time, and understand what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe not for a TV franchise, but other business areas I do, and a contract negotiation and agreement, doesn't take a few days. This for me is too coincidental one series canceled whilst another one gets the green light. They've already said they couldn't run the two simultaneously due to budgets, resources etc... so what does that say to you?

Stargate Universe was close to making a deal before Atlantis Season 4 began. Joseph Mallozzi stated in an interview, he said it would be very doable to make another 40 episode season. meaning 2 shows of 20 episodes. and it would be very difficult but possible to make a 40 episode season and another movie in the same year, if they extended the shooting schedule until november.

Pegasus_SGA
September 10th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Maybe thats why your not a CEO of a multi-billion dollar entertainment company?

For your information I am a CEO thanks very much maybe not a multi billion dollar entertainment company, but another company that has a turnover of that. :D

How do you know Atlantis is making money? It's ratings are at the lowest in the franchise history, and after 5 years the actors start asking for large sums of money. Season 4 Joe grossed just under $1M. Its no surprised Amanda was only on for 1 season, after SG-1 she is probably making double that.

If it wasn't making money, why are they making movies, and how would they be able to finance a new show? As for the lowe ratings in franchise history facts and figures please? For the record, contracts are set for six seasons. Actors salaries are personal and are not for our discussion, please respect their privacy over such matters.

When you explain why, do you tell them, "because"?

Yes of course I do, as I've explained to you. It's your choice that you're limiting the voice of your audience. How will that allow you to glean a broad spectrum of people watching, when you're already putting limitations on people? At the moment, you've set up this thread and limited people only to those answers that you want to hear. And like I said before that's your choice and your perogative, but what you have to understand is that you can post the question, but you may not necessarily get the answers that will show you the bigger picture. Again that's entirely up to you.

Stargate Universe was close to making a deal before Atlantis Season 4 began. Joseph Mallozzi stated in an interview, he said it would be very doable to make another 40 episode season. meaning 2 shows of 20 episodes. and it would be very difficult but possible to make a 40 episode season and another movie in the same year, if they extended the shooting schedule until november.

BW said otherwise in previous interviews. Might I suggest you also read them?

Rise Of The Phoenix
September 10th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I have to say that when I heard that Universe was in the making the first thing that I thought was "this is gonna be sweet" so I will be watching.
I don't see why, just because Atlantis has been cancelled I shouldn't get my Stargate fix, I'm just glad we won't have to wait an age to get it.

I know that Atlantis wasn't everything I hoped it would be (it all got pretty hyped up during SG1) but I've still enjoyed it and I meen every episode.

So role on Universe (but I will miss the Atlantis tv series).

quade_1
September 10th, 2008, 02:57 PM
For your information I am a CEO thanks very much maybe not a multi billion dollar entertainment company, but another company that has a turnover of that. :D

Good to see you put your company first and don't spend all your time on internet forums. ;)

If it wasn't making money, why are they making movies, and how would they be able to finance a new show? As for the lowe ratings in franchise history facts and figures please? For the record, contracts are set for six seasons. Actors salaries are personal and are not for our discussion, please respect their privacy over such matters.

One major factor is the Canadian dollar is almost par now. Your previous budget of US$80M/CD$110M, is now down to CD$82M. So the reason they are making movies is to make more money. Also when you start a job, you start off making an average salary. The longer you stay and the better your performance, you get a raise. They can probably pay all the main cast members of Universe what it costs to pay Flanigan in one season. As you know Flanigan was sued for not paying his agents and in a public court all evidence is made public, including his salary.

BW said otherwise in previous interviews. Might I suggest you also read them?

Yes I have, but in 300+ episodes of Stargate, BW wrote scripts for 33 SG-1 eps and 8 Atlantis eps, 4 of which were the first 4 eps of the series. Don't get me wrong he has been there since the start and has done his fair share, but while he was out of the loop doing movies and such, JM has been spending more time involved. If he says he can do it than i would lean towards the guy that wrote 64 episodes.

Sameera
September 10th, 2008, 11:23 PM
The thing is that as they emphasised the impossibility for people to come back if they are left behind, I conclude that it will be true for the enemies too. Either there is no way for people to come back or there is one, but if there is none, we can't have recurring figures (unless they belong to non-corporeal beings, but I'm not fond of the idea either). My guess, and what would be better IMO, is that they will quickly forget the "they can't come back" part. After a few episodes that will be used to build the tension, some people WILL be able to come back on the long term, because either they'll have ships too or inter-galactic gates or something.

I have been putting some thought to this. Why can't they come back? Well I had a thought that goes along with them being unable to alter the ships coarse. What if the only thing really stopping them from altering the ships coarse is that they are locked out of the primary ship systems, no control over hyperspace jumps, ship direction, engine power/speed, navigation information, stargate addresses (for the planets that they will be going to next), shields, and weapons in short, no control or information for anything other than secondary systems. This would limit them to operating the stargate, going around the ship, launching smaller craft (if present) any device that may make food and water for them, beaming tech (if present) and other none essential or none primary systems.

I realize that later Alteran tech used the ancient gene to tell if a person was given access to a ship but what if this vessel did not yet have that technology. What if they used something more along the lines of a command password. The Alterans would have known it, it would have been kept in some database for when they wanted to send their people but there is a very good chance that the humans from the SGC would not know it.

Anyway, the point is, without any information as to where the ship is going a team member who is left behind would not have any way of knowing where to gate to in order to catch up with the ship. The gates on the ground may simply not be capable of dialing the ship once it is a certain distance away (a little iffy here, maybe they can't dial it while in hyperspace on it's way to the next planet and the ground based stargates don't have the programmed means of dialing it when it is not close to the planet. Like i said, it is a little shaky at best.)

Enemies however with the possibility of being in vast territories of space, ships that they can take wherever they want and an understanding of the gate network in the area would be able to follow them and cause all sorts of problems. The understanding of the gate network is probably the least useful to an enemy though, they would have no idea where the ship is going but if for example the team goes to a planet the bad guys can call in reinforcements to make matters worse.

Hopefully what this all means is more advanced enemies to deal with. The enemies will need to be a space fairing race in order to follow the ship. To put the team in the most peril they will want them to be surrounded so in enemy space, so the enemies will need to not only be advanced enough to have space ships but to be in control of relatively large portions of space. Without these kinds of enemies we will be left with the alien of the week and less advanced enemies that we see no more than 1 or 2 times because of the limited amount of space they could be in. That would get a little boring unless the writers are capable of coming up with some fantastic ideas for enemies so regularly and the studio is willing to fund so many different props, and prosthetics/makeup in order to make them all.

Just an idea on it though, I could be wrong and I am certain there are other ways to go about explaining all of this.

I will be watching SGU. Well I will be watching the first half of a season that is. I will give it that long to see if I will be interested in it or not. I honestly didn't like the first few episodes of Atlantis when I saw them but it quickly grew on me. I started watching SG1 the second time it aired for the first time (so second episode probably but may be 3rd ep, honestly don't remember if they did the first two at the same time, it has been a little while).

Pegasus_SGA
September 10th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Good to see you put your company first and don't spend all your time on internet forums. ;)

Ah my young friend. The reason I get to play on occasions, is because i'm damn good at what I do. ;) And my staff are the best. :)

One major factor is the Canadian dollar is almost par now. Your previous budget of US$80M/CD$110M, is now down to CD$82M. So the reason they are making movies is to make more money. Also when you start a job, you start off making an average salary. The longer you stay and the better your performance, you get a raise. They can probably pay all the main cast members of Universe what it costs to pay Flanigan in one season. As you know Flanigan was sued for not paying his agents and in a public court all evidence is made public, including his salary.

Oh i'm fully aware of the falling rates, and people's salaries increase the longer they're with the company. However, while it may be 'public' as I said before this sort of topic is not very respectful is it? And the mods have in the past requested that people leave actors salaries out of things and I respect that and hope you do to. :)

Yes I have, but in 300+ episodes of Stargate, BW wrote scripts for 33 SG-1 eps and 8 Atlantis eps, 4 of which were the first 4 eps of the series. Don't get me wrong he has been there since the start and has done his fair share, but while he was out of the loop doing movies and such, JM has been spending more time involved. If he says he can do it than i would lean towards the guy that wrote 64 episodes.

I'm sure M & M could manage it, but as I said before, the ultimate decision is not down to them. I wish it were we'd have got our S6. :lol: But the decision falls to BW, SciFi and MGM, and given BW said monetry wise and resource wise it would be extremely difficult, he at the end of the day has the ultimate say so. He's the boss, and what the 'boss' wants, the 'boss' more often than not gets. :) Trust me on this one. :P

CazzBlade
September 11th, 2008, 02:32 AM

Yes, thanks for cancelling my favourite show when it still had a lot of stories to tell and making a new show that I'm not interested in seeing.

I agree with Peg, I have found your posts on this thread incredibly rude and narrow minded.

These are my reasons for not watching SGU:
1) The concept does not interest me, it does not feel unique or original and so far it doesn’t seem to come naturally out of the previous series. Unlike Atlantis which seemed to flow out and come naturally from SG1 and when I first heard about it I was very excited.
2) From reading the recent press releases it has left me with the impression that the current fans of Atlantis are not wanted as they are too old for the target audience of SGU. Now I don’t know how young they are aiming but I am 20 and I will not be watching, neither will my parents but I am sure they are way too old.
3) I couldn’t sit through a second of SGU without knowing that this was the reason I wasn’t watching my favourite show anymore. SGU will always be tainted for me.
4) I wouldn’t want to invest myself in another show only to have it taken away from me when TPTB come up with another new toy.
5) The creators of Stargate have shown sooo little respect to me as a loyal fan of Atlantis that I no longer feel I can show respect in return.

Rac80
September 11th, 2008, 07:44 AM

Because there are no self-help support groups or scifi-annonymous in my neighborhood ... ;)

I love your response there pic, very spot-on.

Yes: 30
No:6
Ok not sure of those numbers, we do need this thread to be an actual poll. :P

WHY will i watch it??? For a very simple reason, there is nothing else decent on "regular" tv. I don't watch "normal" (i.e. network) television except for Bones and the occassional law and order. MOST of what is on at our house is "nerd tv", documentaries, biographies, the REAL stories (do NOT get me started on so-called reality tv! :rolleyes:) of our history, science, and the people involved. So any "stargate" will get a "look-see" from me! if it stinks, then i won't watch, but if it is half-way as good as SGA or SG1, I probably will watch. :S

Coaster
September 11th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Yes: 31
No: 6

I'll give it a try. I'm curious about the premise; it sounds like it could be interesting and fun. While I'm sad about Atlantis, there's nothing I can do about it, so why not leave myself open to being pleasantly surprised. If it's lame, I'll stop watching.

quade_1
September 11th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I agree with Peg, I have found your posts on this thread incredibly rude and narrow minded.

As I already said, everyone is entitle to their own opinion, and i am in no way trying to restrict what people say. I just don't want to hear some lame excuse because the jumped on the "uncancel atlantis" bandwagon. If you have a valid opinion i respect that and would like to hear it, which is why i started this thread.

Lewisco
September 20th, 2008, 04:17 PM
i'll watch it, i am sceptical about having such a young cast, so long as they arent written as whiny brats, i think it could be a good show. it has potential, but also has the potential to be a disaster. but im certainly going to give it a chance.

yes. 32
no. 6

FightforAtlantis
September 20th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Nope. I will never watch SGU. I have sworn myself to Stargate Atlantis. I am not a druggie, I will not watch just any show that contains the word "Gate" in it. No way.

MGM & Scifi have betrayed us SGA fans. They think they can just replace our show with whatever they want and it'll be okay. Well it's not okay. SGU sounds like Voyager, and is a teen drama in space more or less. Atlantis movies won't cut it for me. Not at all. I want my six season and beyond, not SGU.

Nothing you can say will change my mind, and that's not being stubborn, that's being loyal.;)

jenks
September 20th, 2008, 06:56 PM
No, that's being stubborn. Boycotting SGU does nothing to help Atlantis, in fact if anything it does the opposite.

ShadowMaat
September 20th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I won't be watching. Why? Take your pick:

1) Same old writers, same old stories
2) Unpromising premise
3) recycled characters
4) threat of crossovers
5) law of diminishing returns (SG-1 went bad in S7, SGA went bad in S3, SGU will be lucky to get a whole season before turning to crap*)

yes: 32
no: 8

*IMO, of course

Arctic Goddess
September 20th, 2008, 08:22 PM
It's not aimed at my demographic. I'm over 40.

I have very little spare time to watch television, so I pick only the shows that interest me. That's about 2 hours a week of tv.

Will I watch it.

No. I have no time for crap.

Yes: 32

No: 9

jenks
September 20th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Are any Sci Fi shows aimed at people over 40?

Stormtrooper
September 20th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Changed my mind.

No: 10

GateofDOOM
September 20th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Maybe:1

I'm putting myself down tentatively for watching it. However, if something more doesn't catch my interest about it soon I'll probably forget all about it. It's nothing I'm terribly psyched to see, but I'll watch it if I got the time and remember to do so.

Don't really have many feelings about the show either way these days.

quade_1
September 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I won't be watching. Why? Take your pick:

1) Same old writers, same old stories
2) Unpromising premise
3) recycled characters
4) threat of crossovers
5) law of diminishing returns (SG-1 went bad in S7, SGA went bad in S3, SGU will be lucky to get a whole season before turning to crap*)

yes: 32
no: 8

u realize almost all those apply to SGA??

Gen_J_O'Neill
September 20th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Absolutely! Can't wait.

Yes: 33
Maybe:1

GateofDOOM
September 20th, 2008, 10:24 PM

Um...I'm not entirely sure but I think that IS where Shadow is coming from.

If SGA was crap, why should SGU be any different?

ShadowMaat
September 20th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Which is why I stopped watching it shortly after S3 started. Remember my "law of diminishing returns" point? It was #5 if you lost count. ;) That's what I meant. And if SGA soured in half the time SG-1 did then SGU will likely sour even faster, so why bother? Especially given points 1-4?

quade_1
September 20th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Which is why I stopped watching it shortly after S3 started. Remember my "law of diminishing returns" point? It was #5 if you lost count. ;) That's what I meant. And if SGA soured in half the time SG-1 did then SGU will likely sour even faster, so why bother? Especially given points 1-4?

ya i saw that one, thats why i said most apply. Season 2&3 did put a damper on the show. Season 4 was ok, but season 5 thusfar has been very good, even in comparison with SG-1. But alas the damage is done, it is a shame to see it go when they finally started getting things right. Which is why I think they have learned from their mistakes and SGU will be worth watching.

ShadowMaat
September 20th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Which is why I think they have learned from their mistakes and SGU will be worth watching.
They "learned from their mistakes" in SG-1 and destroyed SGA faster. If they've "learned from their mistakes" in SGA then SGU doesn't stand a chance. ;)

Arctic Goddess
September 20th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Are any Sci Fi shows aimed at people over 40?

I'd like to think that Star Trek was, and Eureka is. Star Gate used to be as well. Other than that, no.

Vespasianus
September 20th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I have a tendency of liking live action Stargate.

Yes: 34
No:10

ShadowMaat
September 20th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Eureka is? Really? Guess I'd better stop watching, then. :D Or maybe it just says a lot about my maturity that I like the show. *sticks out tongue and goes "neener, neener"* http://www.freethought-forum.com/forum/images/smilies/pffftt.gif

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
September 21st, 2008, 03:15 AM
I think ShadowMaat summed it up perfectly for me.

Personally, I barely watch any TV these days - I'd rather do something more creative and constructive than sit through hours of mediocrity spoonfed to me from networks that think I am an idiot. Yes, theres exceptions and the occasional show that is -brilliant- but thankfully thats what DVD's are for. So no, I doubt ill give universe a chance - it doesnt sound interesting and to be perfectly honest id simply rather do other things with my time, which is my choice.

Anubis Lives
September 21st, 2008, 05:01 AM
OK. I'm very scared about SGU but I WILL be watching the first few episodes as I'm a fan of the franchise. But if its crap I will tune out and watch something good.

Yes: 35

ToasterOnFire
September 21st, 2008, 05:45 AM
Nope. I don't have faith in this PTB anymore, the concept is a SGA rehash, and the casting call sounds like a joke. So far I haven't seen a single thing to get me interested.

Oh, and it has nothing to do with the cancellation of SGA. :rolleyes:

Yes: 35
No: 11

Tal-Galahad
September 21st, 2008, 05:55 AM
I will definately give it a try as I do with a lot of shows every season.

I will watch the first 3-5 eps and hope for the best.
If it`s crap I won`t hestitate to stop watching.

But judging from informations you got before filming even started is downright stupid.
I remember an article from an american critic, talking about upcoming shows, such as Lost, Prison Break and Heroes (Heroes was in a very early stage back then) He called all three projects boring rehashes of older concepts and three sure goners.

Well...as it turned out all three of them became some of the most popular and entertaining shows of the decade...think about it.

The show so many of you seem to love (as do I)...BSG...it`s a remake for gods sake.

Yes: 36
No: 11

ciannwn
September 21st, 2008, 06:09 AM
I'll watch it so I have something to talk about in these forums. If it's really dreadful there's likely to be topics where people complain about it and I'll have fun joining in. As I'm in the UK I won't be contributing to the ratings so it makes no difference to the show's fate whether I tune in each week or not.

The really big downside for me besides the idea of main characters being handsome, stunning and sexy, beautiful and every teenage girl's dream is that there will be no Wraith. If the aliens end up as men in rubber suits, though, it could be the case that some of the Wraith fans' favourite Wraith players will turn up in other guises. Spot the ex-Wraith could be a good game to play.

Falcon Horus
September 21st, 2008, 06:36 AM
There's nothing about it yet that gives me one good reason to watch it. Nothing. Zip. Nada. The casting call alone is the best joke of 2007 and it would have made a wonderful April Fool's joke... too bad we've passed that day a couple of months ago.

I'm done with this franchise. I've already found a great replacement.

Yes: 36
No: 12

Jeff O'Connor
September 21st, 2008, 07:17 AM
I plan to watch Season 1.0 (from the pilot to the mid-season break) and go from there. If it's picked up and I think it's worth watching, I'll be back for the eleventh episode. If it hasn't gone anywhere, hasn't grabbed me and isn't worth my time, that will be that.

Yes: 37
No: 12

trekie
September 21st, 2008, 09:03 AM
While I'm not very fond of the concept and the casting sheet info so far, it can still turn out good. I mean when I first heard about SGA I thought it's a ridicoulus idea, but I liked it from episode one. So I will certainly watch the pilot and a few episodes beyond it, because I love both SG-1 and SGA now, so there's really no reason not to tune in. If I won't like it for some reason then I'll stop watching of course.

yes: 38
no: 12

Arturis
September 21st, 2008, 09:09 AM
While I'm not very fond of the concept and the casting sheet info so far, it can still turn out good. I mean when I first heard about SGA I thought it's a ridicoulus idea, but I liked it from episode one. So I will certainly watch the pilot and a few episodes beyond it, because I love both SG-1 and SGA now, so there's really no reason not to tune in. If I won't like it for some reason then I'll stop watching of course.

yes: 38
no: 12

As is, NOT A CHANCE.

Yes: 38
No: 13

Rosehawk
September 21st, 2008, 09:38 AM
I have no problem waiting for syndication to watch SGU. If I happen to be home when it is on this next summer and I having nothing else to do, I might turn it on but I will no longer make it central to my evening TV watching. And seriously, why should I? Just because it has Stargate in the title? I don't think so. They haven't shown a loyality to fans so why should I blindly give them my loyalty in return.

If they had chosen a different way to promote SGU without alientating their older fans, many who have been with the francise since it began, I would have been much more willing to give SGU a shot during it's original airing.
I have no problem with them trying to bring in more viewers, that's good business; however not at the expense of the existing fanbase that got them where they are at. They are not saying there is something for everyone in SGU, at least not that I have read yet....they are saying they are going for a younger vibe, which they could still do with a nice mix of older and younger characters but I gather from reading the casting call (which can change), that that mix is not what they are going for.

And Yeah, I am one of the fans pissed that SGA is cancelled to make way for SGU. And while that has a factor on my feelings at the moment, it is not the reason why I am so so about SGU. I quite frankly don't like how they are currently promoting SGU.

So for the purpose of the count here, I'm a no.

SGFerrit
September 21st, 2008, 09:55 AM
I'm not that positive about the show right now, but I'll definately give it a chance.

Ikaros
September 21st, 2008, 10:22 AM

1st: Because it's the reason Atlantis is cancelled.
2nd:Because it's allienated from the original stargate concept.
3rd:Because it's gonna be less Sci fi (No astrophysisist or other scientist on board, just a 20-25 math nerd)
4th:Because a 40year old soldier and a bunch of 20-25 noobies make a good concept for a soap opera, and i hate soap operas.
5th:Because a sci fi show don't need stupid blonde party girls and psychopathetic soldiers
6th:Because i am 34... no need for further explanation
7th:Because the description of those new characters is pathetic. Besides the new Jack(young) and the new Mckay(Eli), the rest are cliche cast for teen soap.
8th:Because if there is a tiny, little, impossible to see with nacked eye, possibility, that Atlantis could come back, i would take it and help it.

PeteJ
September 21st, 2008, 10:37 AM
''I'm too old for SGU'' isn't very strong argument. Seriously, don't you people watch, for example, cartoons and animations because they're aimed mainly at children? Doesn't mean they can't have depth and good character development.

//I'll watch it.

Yes: 39

jenks
September 21st, 2008, 10:51 AM
Out of the 13 people who've said they won't watch it, I'll be surprised it any of them stay true to that promise. They'll watch it, if only so they can come in here and ***** about it...

Ikaros
September 21st, 2008, 11:01 AM
Out of the 13 people who've said they won't watch it, I'll be surprised it any of them stay true to that promise. They'll watch it, if only so they can come in here and ***** about it...

Don't count me. I am a nasty Greek, i have the bad habbit of holding my ground no matter what. ;)

Ikaros
September 21st, 2008, 11:03 AM
''I'm too old for SGU'' isn't very strong argument. Seriously, don't you people watch, for example, cartoons and animations because they're aimed mainly at children? Doesn't mean they can't have depth and good character development.

//I'll watch it.

Yes: 39

Oh i watch cartoons. I loved WALL-E :) to..
Those people said they where targeting younger audiences.... not my fault they don't aimed for the 25+ in their target group.

thekillman
September 21st, 2008, 11:31 AM
1st: Because it's the reason Atlantis is cancelled.
2nd:Because it's allienated from the original stargate concept.
3rd:Because it's gonna be less Sci fi (No astrophysisist or other scientist on board, just a 20-25 math nerd)
4th:Because a 40year old soldier and a bunch of 20-25 noobies make a good concept for a soap opera, and i hate soap operas.
5th:Because a sci fi show don't need stupid blonde party girls and psychopathetic soldiers
6th:Because i am 34... no need for further explanation
7th:Because the description of those new characters is pathetic. Besides the new Jack(young) and the new Mckay(Eli), the rest are cliche cast for teen soap.
8th:Because if there is a tiny, little, impossible to see with nacked eye, possibility, that Atlantis could come back, i would take it and help it.

1: untrue. atlantis got cancelled. then SGU got approved. not other way around. besides, there was no guarantee SGA wouldve lasted much longer.

2: its just as much stargate as SG1 and SGA. this time, they REALLY wanted to make sure they would be cut off. so no atlantis like scenario

its a standalone, not a spinnoff

3: why per se an astrophysisist. this guy has brains too

4: doesnt have to be a space opera. it COULD be. but i have faith

5: what new interesting characters would you make then? 60 year old veterans which make no fun TV?

6: congratz. im 16

7: so there are new types. what else would you like? a clone of SGA and SG1? ofcourse, cause you'd rather have 1 season of SGA extra, and no SGU. but thats cause you are poorly informed.

8: not a reason not to watch it.

Rosehawk
September 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM
I guess you will never know! ;)

And I come here so I can play and have fun, not to ***** so please don't assume that just because someone isn't happy with SGU that they will come here to ***** about it. Alot will just leave the forum and leaving the ***** to those who think ***** is fun.
And answering a question posted on a thread, is not the same as *****.

//I'll watch it.

The "I'm too old for SGU" is most certainly a good argument, it's called sarcasim and it has everything to do with how TPTB are choosing to promote SGU and alienating a group of fans who have loved the shows for a long time.

I watched cartoons and animation when my daughter was younger, so I knew what it was she was watching on TV, doesn't mean I am watching them today now that she is almost an adult.

And alot of animation is being geared towards family enjoyment, not just children.

Laura Dove
September 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM

Sorry to get you wrong, but buying DVDs is a bit too expensive for the mere pleasure of criticising a bad show. Unless SGU happens to get incredibly good reviews, no, I'll not waste both my money and my time on it.

ShadowMaat
September 21st, 2008, 11:45 AM
If someone truly wants an accurate count of this thing it either needs to be made into an official poll or someone needs to go through and do a better job of counting. I notice that unless folks actually post the yes/no count themselves that their "votes" are not being added.

PeteJ
September 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM
The "I'm too old for SGU" is most certainly a good argument, it's called sarcasim and it has everything to do with how TPTB are choosing to promote SGU and alienating a group of fans who have loved the shows for a long time.

I've been fan of the franchise since the beginning and I don't feel like being alienated. And please, I'm quite certain that people haven't been sarcastic with their comments. And if they have, it's just bad sarcasm, not bad understanding of it.

I watched cartoons and animation when my daughter was younger, so I knew what it was she was watching on TV, doesn't mean I am watching them today now that she is almost an adult.

My point exactly. Why shouldn't you?

And alot of animation is being geared towards family enjoyment, not just children.

Applies to SGU also, no? because I have a strong feeling that you consider SGU's target audience as children.

kymeric
September 21st, 2008, 12:10 PM
Yes ill watch it because i like stargate, lol?

And as for the recurring villians even Voyager had races the spanned seasons despite travelling away from them since day 1. The Kazon, Vidians lasted 2 yrs, Borg were encountered for 4 years, the Hirogen were around for a couple years. Hell, they bumped into a Talaxian colony almost an entire quarter of the galaxy away from where they first met Neelix.

I dont mean this to say SGU is voyager like many are complaining, just using it as an example of how long distance travel on a ship dosent mean there wont be recurring species and returing characters on the show.

jenks
September 21st, 2008, 01:51 PM
Sorry to get you wrong, but buying DVDs is a bit too expensive for the mere pleasure of criticising a bad show. Unless SGU happens to get incredibly good reviews, no, I'll not waste both my money and my time on it.

Yeah, because buying the DVD's is the only way you can see it... :rolleyes:

Laura Dove
September 21st, 2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah, because buying the DVD's is the only way you can see it... :rolleyes:

The only legal way, yes. And as I don't resort to illegal ways if I don't intend to buy the DVDs later...

Falcon Horus
September 21st, 2008, 02:26 PM
Count so far (cause I have nothing better to do anyway):

YES - 49
NO - 16
MAYBE - 1

66 people so far who gave their view on whether they would be watching or not.

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
September 21st, 2008, 02:42 PM
The only legal way, yes. And as I don't resort to illegal ways if I don't intend to buy the DVDs later...

Its nice to know, not everyone resorts to illegal downloading to get something for free.:)

Rosehawk
September 21st, 2008, 03:21 PM
I've been fan of the franchise since the beginning and I don't feel like being alienated. And please, I'm quite certain that people haven't been sarcastic with their comments. And if they have, it's just bad sarcasm, not bad understanding of it.
You may not feel alienated and that is great for you but alot of the fans do feel alienated and I feel they have the right to feel that way. Especially since TPTB haven't come back out and change the perception that these fans are feeling.

My point exactly. Why shouldn't you?
I am not watching because I don't want to watch them because they don't interest me and I don't have a vested interest in watching them anymore, ie my kid is grown up now. Not meaning to say that if I was bored sitting home on a rainy day and one came on the TV, I just might watch it for a few minutes. ;)

Applies to SGU also, no? because I have a strong feeling that you consider SGU's target audience as children.

Well your strong feelings are your feelings but they most certainly are not mine. I do not consider SGU's target audience as children. They are going for the 20-30ish age group and that age is far from being children, they are adults, some young adults but nevertheless they are adults and not children.

Though the point you I think you are trying to make is similar to the cartoons, if I want to watch the cartoons I will, just like if I want to watch SGU, I will...however I am perfectly content to wait for SGU to be in syndication or a raining day when I don't have much else to do to watch.

jenks
September 21st, 2008, 03:35 PM
I guess you will never know! ;)

And I come here so I can play and have fun, not to ***** so please don't assume that just because someone isn't happy with SGU that they will come here to ***** about it. Alot will just leave the forum and leaving the ***** to those who think ***** is fun.
And answering a question posted on a thread, is not the same as *****.

[...]

Of course I'll know, I'll know when they come back in here and ***** about a show they said they wouldn't watch.

Its nice to know, not everyone resorts to illegal downloading to get something for free.:)

I'd read that post again If I were you.

the fifth man
September 21st, 2008, 06:09 PM
Count so far (cause I have nothing better to do anyway):

YES - 49
NO - 16
MAYBE - 1

66 people so far who gave their view on whether they would be watching or not.

Thanks for doing the count.:)

Rosehawk
September 21st, 2008, 07:28 PM
Of course I'll know, I'll know when they come back in here and ***** about a show they said they wouldn't watch.

I suppose some will come back to *****, but others won't! ;)

Franklyn Blaze
September 21st, 2008, 08:14 PM
I'll check it out, like any new show, but they have to keep me interested after that.

Laura Dove
September 21st, 2008, 10:56 PM
I'd read that post again If I were you.

I suggest you use your own advice.

Ikaros
September 22nd, 2008, 01:22 AM
1: untrue. atlantis got cancelled. then SGU got approved. not other way around. besides, there was no guarantee SGA wouldve lasted much longer.
Nop,read their interviews here on Gateworld. They had to choose between two shows. Atlantis or the new concept. And they choose SGU because Atlantis could make money in movie form.

2: its just as much stargate as SG1 and SGA. this time, they REALLY wanted to make sure they would be cut off. so no atlantis like scenario
So? what's the point in cutting of? What was wrong with Atlanti's scenario?

its a standalone, not a spinnoff
Everything after SG1 are spinoffs. Unless you mean what i meant !!! that they just have nothing to do with the original SG. There is no continuation.

3: why per se an astrophysisist. this guy has brains too
We all have brains!! But you need mechanic to fix your car and a doctor to fix your heart.

4: doesnt have to be a space opera. it COULD be. but i have faith
Well!! faith is all they've left you ....

5: what new interesting characters would you make then? 60 year old veterans which make no fun TV?
How about normal, educated people, in their thirties, or late twenties if you like,who also have the skills and proper character to face the adventures of space travelling and exploring?

6: congratz. im 16
So theoritically, i could be your dad . Kidding.
And do you need psycho soldiers and party girls as icons? And maybe you are quite old to understand that TV isn't making icons anymore. Younger kids, or others in your age don't know that. They just pick up what they see on TV.

7: so there are new types. what else would you like? a clone of SGA and SG1? ofcourse, cause you'd rather have 1 season of SGA extra, and no SGU. but thats cause you are poorly informed.
Nop again. I would like SGA to go on for 5 more seasons.It was possible imo. SGU could start a little later and run along with SGA, like they did before, with SG1 and SGA. And in any case i would like it to have better characters in it.

8: not a reason not to watch it.

Nobody can force you not to ;)

Falcon Horus
September 22nd, 2008, 03:17 AM
Thanks for doing the count.:)

It's a hobby. :p

TrustMeIamADoctor
September 22nd, 2008, 04:19 AM
Add me to the "No" s
Mainly because Atlantis was cancelled because of it and because, from what i read, it's going to be kind of a teen soap opera.

TrustMeIamADoctor
September 22nd, 2008, 04:21 AM
I'll watch it so I have something to talk about in these forums. If it's really dreadful there's likely to be topics where people complain about it and I'll have fun joining in. As I'm in the UK I won't be contributing to the ratings so it makes no difference to the show's fate whether I tune in each week or not.

The really big downside for me besides the idea of main characters being handsome, stunning and sexy, beautiful and every teenage girl's dream is that there will be no Wraith. If the aliens end up as men in rubber suits, though, it could be the case that some of the Wraith fans' favourite Wraith players will turn up in other guises. Spot the ex-Wraith could be a good game to play.

GOOD point. No wraith propably and they have a lot of fans......ingluding me.

huntress
September 22nd, 2008, 04:27 AM
I will probably skip SGU because I am not interested in yet another show that is about a space ship. There have been enough of those. What I loved about both SG-1 and SGA is that it was not a show about some space ship hopping around in the universe. For that we had Star Trek. Also the way it sounds SGU seems to be geared for a younger audience and sounds a lot like Sliders. Thanks but no thanks.

geewillie86
September 22nd, 2008, 07:28 AM
Reasons that I won't be watching SGU:

1. The characters are bad. They are reminiscent of all the shows that I laughed at while watching stargate. I was happy to have something that wasn't mindless drivel. Now that stargate is trying to mainstream itself, I imagine that the quality will be on par with the rest of the shows on sci fi. Maybe they'll reconstitute sci-fridays with SGU and ECW.

These whiny brat characters will only serve to remind me that I don't particularly care for my own generation.

2. Its a standalone. The fact that they are trying to distance themselves from the other stargate material is only more proof that they are making stargate in name only. Obviously, this show is not compatible with the other shows, and thats not a good thing.

3. The premise isn't solid. I had my doubts to begin with. How unlikely is it that a group of Tauri humans couldn't redirect an ancient ship? Honestly, thats not believable at all. How are you supposed to have real enemies if you never stay in one place. Furthermore, what is the purpose of the stargates? Are you going to have a stargate series without using many stargates like Atlantis was in the habit of doing by the end?

4. The theme of inexperience. The major theme of this show is going to be that nobody really knows what they're doing. They're young and inexperienced, and 90% of the so-called drama is going to come from this fact. They're probably hoping that youthful inexperience will resonate with younger viewers. Maybe one or two mindless brats will be enthralled by characters who are just as dumb as they are. I, on the other hand, won't be particularly pleased. I would probably suffer viewer fatigue before the pilot ended.

Freekzilla
September 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Hmmm, can you say heck no! I won't be watching. After looking at the character bios, all I can say is "HAVE YOU LOST YOUR FREAKING MINDS?!" This sounds like "Beverly Hills 9021-oh ya we are also in space". Give me a break. I certainly don't want to watch show like that. And they canned SGA for THIS!?

What I find funny is, this is clearly targeted to a younger audience. But why would you want to do that? Younger audiences tend to spend more time on the net than watching TV, and statistically, the younger demographics are a smaller pool of potential viewers. Just look at the census info. The teen-25 age group is half the size of the 25-40 or the 40+. Going for younger viewers was a smart move 20 years ago, but not now.

And lastly, why bother watching when MGM and Skiffy will mess with the show the entire time and then cancel it a few years into it? I swear, TV executives and producers are clueless.

Tiletron
September 22nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
I will watch Stargate Universe because it is Stargate, and I trust that they will make it different, no matter what happens.

People can believe what they like about Atlantis, but here's my view on it -- despite the fact that it won't be 20 episodes a year, it has not been cancelled. I understand people's frustration, but you cannot expect to ***** and complain about when the show's coming out, and then ***** and complain even more about the former show changing tack. They cannot make two shows at the same time efficiently enough! They've tried and said it's not possible.

Maybe if they had a bigger crew to work with it might be different, but they don't...it's as simple as that and viewers should realise that if they want SOMETHING GOOD which will last a season, they can only have one or the other.

Atlantis might become movies like SG-1, or they might even become miniseries (three 90min episodes to allow for longer stories), but Col Sheppard's team and the rest of the expedition will still be there. They're not packing up and going away from our screens, they just won't be around the next corner anymore as soon as we would like.

Whatever SGU turns out to be, I wish them the best of luck.

Apollo214
September 22nd, 2008, 02:21 PM
Why is it so hard for people to give Universe a chance....

Atlantis and SG1 are both still around, and probably will be

I love both of universe's older brothers but I mean Universe isn't even in production let a lone airing and people are already boycotting it....

I know theres maybe a 100 threads like this already but I don't care this is just really getting old....

Xylian
September 22nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
As I've said many other times, I agree. At first I was cautiously optimistic. Then I heard the news of the characters and I was angry. Now I'm a bit enthusiastic about it. Atlantis is one of my favorite shows, but I still will watch Universe at least the pilot and couple episodes after to get a feel for the show and see if I like it.

Hotsauce00
September 22nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Agreed, I just hope they listen to the fans a bit or pull a Rodney and create a Character that's not on the casting call. Let's all be honest It's got the Stargate lable we are atleast going to watch the pilot.TPTB are obviously trying to do something new sometimes that's not a bad thing.

SGU doesn't come out until like next summer, there are pleanty of good genre shows out there to keep us busy. Like Heroes tonight people or just watch FOX NEWS or ESPN until they make a forth series thats pre-production is your style.

September 22nd, 2008, 04:25 PM
i will, i want to see the first few epidoes,but even if i do love stargate universe nothing will ever compare to atlantis...GO SHEPPY
:sheppard:

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
September 22nd, 2008, 04:42 PM
Its so hard because I dont want to spend lots of money I dont really have on a product I might not like in the end. I dont own a TV and I am against illegal fire-sharing. After wasting money on the last 2 seasons of Atlantis - which I am sorry but I did not personally enjoy, I am not sure I want to spend out cash on a show by the same people. However - maybe if I can rent it cheaply when it cones out on DVD I will do that and give it a chance.

ShadowMaat
September 22nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
2. Its a standalone. The fact that they are trying to distance themselves from the other stargate material is only more proof that they are making stargate in name only.
You mean you actually BELIEVE that? LOL! Ohhh, if only it were true. Unfortunately, Joe Mallozzi has already gone on record as saying that they've found a way to allow for crossovers and looking at Atlantis (which was also supposed to be a separate entity and "cut off" from Earth)... Well, let's just say I forsee many, MANY crossovers in SGU's future and that is one of the reasons I'm not gonna bother. If I was going to watch SGU it'd be to watch SGU, not SGA or SG-1.

Apollo214
September 22nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
As I've said many other times, I agree. At first I was cautiously optimistic. Then I heard the news of the characters and I was angry. Now I'm a bit enthusiastic about it. Atlantis is one of my favorite shows, but I still will watch Universe at least the pilot and couple episodes after to get a feel for the show and see if I like it.

And thats what im trying to say,

If you watch Universe and you realize that it's not your cup of tea, then thats totally cool you gave it a chance and you didn't like it...

But there are some who are fully bashing the series and it hasn't even come out yet....

do not freeze
September 22nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
Since when do we give a chance to some show that doesn't interest us?

If someone is uninterested by SGU, fine, why would they bother giving it a chance?

We don't start watching show all the time and give it a chance.

Daniel Jackson
September 22nd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Why is it so hard for people to give Universe a chance....

Atlantis and SG1 are both still around, and probably will be

I love both of universe's older brothers but I mean Universe isn't even in production let a lone airing and people are already boycotting it....

I know theres maybe a 100 threads like this already but I don't care this is just really getting old....
This is why I largely ignore the Universe forum. ;) It's nothing but people whining over Atlantis being cancelled. :S

Jangles
September 22nd, 2008, 05:20 PM
There have been a few shows that didn't look intersting at first and I ended up loving them. I didn't start watching House until the 3rd season reruns on USA, now I can't miss an ep or I am sad...

Of course the flip side is true to. A show that shows promise could end up becoming unappealing. Has anyone watched Fringe? I don't care for it but I'll give it another few eps before I give up on it.

I gave up on Heroes after I lost track of it in the second season. Of course I had a different idea of what Heroes was going to be be about when I heard about it. I thought it was going to be people who had to live their lives with there power not save the world. I was expecting Clark Kent but got a Superman without the cape.

dfoster1228
September 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM
I agree. I will definitely giveUniverse a chance. Bashing before seeing does no good. Except add fodder to the threads, which may not be all bad.

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
September 22nd, 2008, 05:24 PM

If someone is uninterested by SGU, fine, why would they bother giving it a chance?

It's not so much about being disinterested. If that's all it is then no problem. It's more about those who are outright bashing the show even with such scanty knowledge we have of it so far.

dfoster1228
September 22nd, 2008, 05:32 PM
What were people saying when SGA was just getting started? SG1 will always be my fave, but SGA grew on me. Perhaps it will be the same for SGU.

jenks
September 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM

Since when do we go on forums dedicated to shows that don't interest us just to let everyone know that we won't be watching?

danno13
September 22nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
I cant Wait for SGU to come out it will bring a whole new story line to the stargate franchise AND im worry if people dont watch it the they might Cancelled The whole StarGate Franchise Then people will be piss off when that happen...

Alteran of Atlantis
September 22nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
Since when do we go on forums dedicated to shows that don't interest us just to let everyone know that we won't be watching?

Totally agreed. I'm pretty sick of the whining. I look at all the threads against Universe and think "Why do they keep saying the same things over and over again?" So you're not going to watch Universe. Fine. But I am. I'll keep watching it even if I think the first few episodes are bad. I'm sure it will grow on me.

I'm still upset about Atlantis's cancellation, just like many other people here. But that doesn't mean I won't watch Universe because of it.

Looking forward to 2009!

Ackeb
September 22nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Agreed let the whining cease.

ShadowMaat
September 22nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
I thought this thread was about reasons for watching or not watching SGU, not for pissing and moaning about other fans.

jenks
September 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
I thought this thread was about reasons for watching or not watching SGU, not for pissing and moaning about other fans.

Threads have been merged.

Starmuse
September 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Well, guess after all that it's my time to weigh in.

I'll be watching SGU, most definitely. If I judged a show based off preliminary ideas and without having seen a single episode, I might have hated a great many of my long-standing favorite shows. (:

akren
September 22nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Yes. I am loyal to, & respect, the franchise; even when it has done things I haven't necessarily agreed with or liked (like Lucus Luvivan. . . :P). I will watch SGU & give it a chance before deciding it the new direction of the franchise is one I wish to follow along with or not. ;)

HyperCaz
September 23rd, 2008, 12:27 AM
Once upon a time in 2004, I swore to never touch any Stargate spin off. And then ended up a massive fan of SGA anyway. :o So I'm willing to give Universe a chance, because I was proved wrong once... although anything past s3 of SGA is disgusting...

And anyway, I predict SGU will run for 2.5 years, based on the franchise half-life.

SG1 = 10
SGA = 5
SGU = 2.5

... :)

I'd like to find something new and interesting in sci-fi land, be it this franchise or another.

Falcon Horus
September 23rd, 2008, 03:56 AM
It's got the Stargate lable we are atleast going to watch the pilot.

And thus proving to TPTB that (some) fans are junkies who swallow anything that has Stargate labelled all over it.

And then this comes to mind:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/FalconHorus/Funky%20Stuff/Trabant.jpg

Unfortunately, Joe Mallozzi has already gone on record as saying that they've found a way to allow for crossovers and looking at Atlantis (which was also supposed to be a separate entity and "cut off" from Earth)... Well, let's just say I forsee many, MANY crossovers in SGU's future and that is one of the reasons I'm not gonna bother. If I was going to watch SGU it'd be to watch SGU, not SGA or SG-1.

I was wondering how long it would last as a "stand alone" ... Not long apparently. :rolleyes:

But there are some who are fully bashing the series and it hasn't even come out yet....

But praising it to high heavens without having seen it yet is a-okay, I presume. :rolleyes:

Smallish update on the numbers:

YES - 59
NO - 20
MAYBE - 1

80 people have spoken up so far.

Shan Bruce Lee
September 23rd, 2008, 04:03 AM
I'm gonna watch it because I've generally thought the Stargate franchise as a whole has gotten better and better each year and I doubt SGU will be any different.

Prior_of_the_Ori
September 23rd, 2008, 05:21 AM
I'm going to watch it in order to give it a chance before I continue watching it or condemn it etc etc.

Integrabyte
September 23rd, 2008, 05:31 AM
I stopped watching SGA because it was ruining SG1's good reputation. I won't watch this thingie ma jiggie because every Stargate Sg1 spin off seems to be bad. Learned my lesson with SGA. Bought S1 to S3 because of the 5 episodes I like throughout the 3 seasons. The rest are fillers for me. S4&S5 are not worth mentioning. This coming from a Carter fan.

Will I buy it? NO
Will I watch it on Sky? NO
Will I download it, via itunes or illegally? NO, don't want to waste bandwidth.

My opinion (c).All rights reserved. Reding me for this will simply show that you don't respect other people's opinion.

TheReturnOfTheLantian
September 23rd, 2008, 05:40 AM
Yes - 60
no - 20
maybe - 1

Falcon Horus
September 23rd, 2008, 08:03 AM
Yes - 60
no - 20
maybe - 1

No, that would be...

YES - 62
NO - 21
MAYBE - 1

Stormtrooper
September 23rd, 2008, 08:38 AM
I stopped watching SGA because it was ruining SG1's good reputation. I won't watch this thingie ma jiggie because every Stargate Sg1 spin off seems to be bad. Learned my lesson with SGA. Bought S1 to S3 because of the 5 episodes I like throughout the 3 seasons. The rest are fillers for me. S4&S5 are not worth mentioning. This coming from a Carter fan.

Will I buy it? NO
Will I watch it on Sky? NO
Will I download it, via itunes or illegally? NO, don't want to waste bandwidth.

My opinion (c).All rights reserved. Reding me for this will simply show that you don't respect other people's opinion.

Word.

geewillie86
September 23rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
So, a lot of people seem to think that the upset over SGU has something to do with the fact that people are upset about SGA's cancellation. As far as I'm concerned, those are two separate problems.

If you examine the information that we've been given about SGU, you'll find that tptb are trying to reinvent stargate. No matter how you feel about SGA, the information about reinvention through SGU is incontrovertible.

What frustrates me specifically about SGU (as in aside from my SGA frustrations) is that I am in the age group that they are "gearing" it to be for, and I find the idea of making every character, except the leader, around 20 years old to be a bad decision. Thats because I know that the writers won't hesitate to play up the "youthful inexperience" card over and over again. I don't want to see episode after episode of young people trying to learn how to be responsible. Its a tired cliche.

At any rate, there has been a great effort to distance SGU from the 2 shows that I really liked. Thats not a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Lets not forget Sci-fi channel's president, who ran around touting this new show as a space opera. After you factor in the smallvile-esque characters, I feel that I must take a pass.

Skydiver
September 24th, 2008, 06:26 PM
the topic is

will you or won't you watch SGU

it is NOT open season to witch and complain about others.

so stop it.

Integline7
September 24th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I will watch before judging. Surely watch pilot live, and following few episodes. Not excited much though. SG-1, Always watched live. SGA, stopped watching live since season 4. SGU? Following trend....stop watching eventually? Hope TPTB prove me wrong.

YES - 63
NO - 21
MAYBE - 1

Falcon Horus
September 25th, 2008, 02:37 AM
it is NOT open season to witch and complain about others.

I assume that applies to everyone... I apologize for the trouble.

September 25th, 2008, 02:56 AM
i will because i love stargate and i always give sci-fi shows a try. i wasn't keen on atlantis at first but it grew on me

Kribby
September 25th, 2008, 03:11 AM
No,

I am still irked by the SGA cancellation.

Maybe -- 10 years later I will get into it. Heck, I am finally watching Star Trek Voyager via netflix now!

Pitry
September 25th, 2008, 04:01 AM
No - I've been unhapy with the Stargate franchise for a while now and think it should take a break, and nothing that was published so far about SGU is appealing to me in any way.

YES - 64
NO - 23
MAYBE - 1

September 25th, 2008, 04:40 AM
No,

I am still irked by the SGA cancellation.

Maybe -- 10 years later I will get into it. Heck, I am finally watching Star Trek Voyager via netflix now!

i think it's unfair to boycott SGU just because of SGA's cancellation, i see a lot of people doing it, and i don't like it, partially because it's unlikely SGA would have stayed around long anyway, we are getting an SGA movie, and who knows, if SGU is a flop, maybe they'll do more movies or bring it back. but at least give SGU a chance...

Kribby
September 25th, 2008, 05:34 PM
i think it's unfair to boycott SGU just because of SGA's cancellation, i see a lot of people doing it, and i don't like it, partially because it's unlikely SGA would have stayed around long anyway, we are getting an SGA movie, and who knows, if SGU is a flop, maybe they'll do more movies or bring it back. but at least give SGU a chance...

Um. Whatever. Telling people to be a lemming really won't win them to your side. It is our choice. It's just TV dude. Really, yo.

I am 28 years old. Free person and all that. My choice to give SGU a chance or not. I choose not.

I think I've said it in another thread-- It's just TV. I have a life. I know you are saying we should give it a chance but it is our choice to not give a crap.

There's prob. less than 10 shows or so in my life that I've watched seriously and you know have seen like all the episodes-- bought the episodes-- talked to people on message boards about episodes etc... SGA and SG1 just happened to be two of them.

Before that it was Buffy and Angel... before that (well, after it ended and the internet showed up) Highlander. That's it. Really.

I think there is an assumption that folks are pro the Stargate franchise but what the 'bigwigs' might find out is that this just isn't true.

You are talking to a SG1/SGA fan with all ten/four seasons + the SG1 movies on the shelf and someone who worked into teaching lessons episodes of SGA-- seriously. I loved those shows but I just don't see myself becoming invested in SGU. I don't have any interest.

Maybe after it is on Netflix and I have the summer free and I am sufficiently bored.

In a couple of years the SGA cancellation annoyance will likely fade.

Shrug.

Chev's Ron
September 25th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I will be watching Universe because as a writer myself I don't like the idea of an outside influance telling the writers what to write and what not to write. Sure, not everyone may like it, but while the writers do have the fans in mind, Most writers write stories that they themselves like in order for them to have a good time.

--------------------(For the writers)
Kudos for continuing down this path when everyone else is screaming no in your faces,(some Fans) I completely understand why you are continuing down this path, although I may not agree with the storyline, I will give it a chance because this story is one that you want to write, If I don't like it, I won't watch it anymore, but I do support a writers free choice to write what he loves.

Yes. 65
No 23
Maybe 1

Rudy Pena
September 25th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I will not be watching SG:U for reasons that I have.

1. Atlantis got cancelled, then very shortly SG:U got the green light to be made.

2. SG:U is made for younger poeple.

3. SG:U is having younger cast members in their 20s(come on....)

4. SG:U sounds like a Soap Opera.

5. SG:U sounds gay.

6. I will be in Iraq when it airs.

ShadowMaat
September 25th, 2008, 06:44 PM
If SGU was gay that might actually add a bit of interest. ;)

Stormtrooper
September 25th, 2008, 07:03 PM
All the "give SGU a chance" whining is so annoying. Answer the topic's question, mind you. Everyone's free to make their own choices.

Personally, I won't watch SGU because I'm 99,9% certain it will be more of the same. Same writers, same rehashed stories, same plot holes, same character mishandling, same crossovers, same crap.

Ackeb
September 25th, 2008, 07:43 PM
All the "give SGU a chance" whining is so annoying. Answer the topic's question, mind you. Everyone's free to make their own choices.

Personally, I won't watch SGU because I'm 99,9% certain it will be more of the same. Same writers, same rehashed stories, same plot holes, same character mishandling, same crossovers, same crap.

What makes you 99% sure?

Stormtrooper
September 25th, 2008, 08:07 PM
^ Common sense.

ShadowMaat
September 25th, 2008, 08:36 PM
What makes you 99% sure?

Experience? It happened in the latter seasons of SG-1, it happened in SGA, why wouldn't it happen in SGU? :P

Yes, yes, it's all subjective, but if you believe the former faults to be true of the previous shows I'd say it's only obvious to expect it of any following shows.

Kribby
September 26th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I will not be watching SG:U for reasons that I have.

1. Atlantis got cancelled, then very shortly SG:U got the green light to be made.

2. SG:U is made for younger poeple.

3. SG:U is having younger cast members in their 20s(come on....)

4. SG:U sounds like a Soap Opera.

5. SG:U sounds gay.

6. I will be in Iraq when it airs.

Um. Does 'Gay' have a new connotative meaning? Is it suddenly slang for something other than 'a homosexual person'?

It doesn't seem respectful to use the word in this way. I don't intend on getting on a soapbox but I do not think you should use this word in this way. Gay is not a derogatory adjective.

I am not starting an argument with you. (Especially considering the fact I will only log into Gateworld to see any responses... um after work... after going out... after sleeping...etc... so prob. Sunday)

It would be like saying SG:U sounds black. If it were used that way then you would be saying black is something ucky and something you would want to be or watch.

Gay isn't ucky. (Neither is black, but anyway.)

So... SG:U sounds ucky.

<Kribby slinks back to her life.>

Rudy Pena
September 26th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Um. Does 'Gay' have a new connotative meaning? Is it suddenly slang for something other than 'a homosexual person'?

It doesn't seem respectful to use the word in this way. I don't intend on getting on a soapbox but I do not think you should use this word in this way. Gay is not a derogatory adjective.

I am not starting an argument with you. (Especially considering the fact I will only log into Gateworld to see any responses... um after work... after going out... after sleeping...etc... so prob. Sunday)

It would be like saying SG:U sounds black. If it were used that way then you would be saying black is something ucky and something you would want to be or watch.

Gay isn't ucky. (Neither is black, but anyway.)

So... SG:U sounds ucky.

<Kribby slinks back to her life.>
Gay is a American slang with different meanings depending on how you use it in a sentence.

I.E. John: I want to go see Star Trek.
Max: Your're gay.

In this way, Max is calling John a geek, nerd, dumb, retarted, stupid and a few others.

But in my case it means dumb, stupid, retarted, gay(not the homo type), boring and a few more.

September 26th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Gay is a American slang with different meanings depending on how you use it in a sentence.

In this way, Max is calling John a geek, nerd, dumb, retarted, stupid and a few others.

But in my case it means dumb, stupid, retarted, gay(not the homo type), boring and a few more.

you mean happy?

Hong3103
September 26th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I believe he means Ghey... it slang for lame.

As per Urbandictionary.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ghey

ShadowMaat
September 26th, 2008, 06:21 AM
It's an insult, as Kribby already knew, but the how's and why's of it aren't really relevant to the discussion.

I'm not watching because I don't think TPTB have enough original ideas left to make it worth watching... and I don't think they'll put much effort into trying to be original, either.

Ikaros
September 26th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Add to this that their hidden misogynism is obvius again.
Though i loved Atlantis and SG1, i couldn't miss the fact that they where lucking in female characters. Only one woman,Carter, in SG1 and i won't even start on SGA and how they manage to ruin 3 female chars that could have been great.
Now they have 4 males and 2 females with no skills at all.Actually one of them is a paramedic that wished to be a doctor(?) and the other is Bi Bi Bo.
Have mercy!!!!!!

Kribby
September 26th, 2008, 11:18 AM

Hm. Okay. To each his/her own. This usage really doesn't work for me (for the reasons I explained before).

I don't want to hijack this thread with a discussion about being verbally conscious.

Rudy Pena
September 26th, 2008, 11:24 AM
you mean happy?No.

I believe he means Ghey... it slang for lame.

As per Urbandictionary.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gheyYes, Sgt.

Lucario
September 26th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I am willing to give it a shot even though from what I have read I am not impressed with it at all. My reasoning is I am willing to give new show a shot. I will watch at least maybe four episodes so I can get an accurate judge of the show.

ShadowMaat
September 26th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Add to this that their hidden misogynism is obvious again.
Not very hidden from where I'm sitting. ;) I suppose there's some hope for the medic character, but I can too easily picture her bumbling and flailing about and acting all moral compass-y whenever the situation calls for it. And probably when it doesn't, too. I tend to think of her as a bit like Satterfield, only less competent.

Daddy's Little Girl, on the other hand, is nothing short of a nightmare and I shudder to think of the depredations that will be visited upon her by TPTB's version of "good storytelling." :rolleyes:

Ikaros
September 26th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Although they made a mess with their women, they managed to make a great show. I am only complaining because that show could have been "the absolute" show.Nobody could have said anything about it, not a single thing. And i thing they where trying (or at least some of them where) to clear the mess they made with Weir's death and Teyla's comes and goes.

Ackeb
September 26th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Experience? It happened in the latter seasons of SG-1, it happened in SGA, why wouldn't it happen in SGU? :P

Yes, yes, it's all subjective, but if you believe the former faults to be true of the previous shows I'd say it's only obvious to expect it of any following shows.

I do belive the former faults to be true but I do also belive Atlantis has greatly improved this season. I belive if this trend continues the writing of SGU will be done very well.

Falcon Horus
September 26th, 2008, 02:40 PM
...I do also belive Atlantis has greatly improved this season.

In what way? - PM me since it's OT for the topic. I'm curious.

Teslan
September 26th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Yep, I'll give it a shot. If I don't like it I won't watch it anymore, and I won't complain about it either. If I do like it, then I'll have another show to watch.

Ikaros
September 27th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Maybe if you read Sci Fi's boss's interview here at Gateworld, you'll realize that their making SGU in order to keep the BSG fans happy, now that their show is over.
He says so, he says SGU will be a soap opera, like BSG, but also Stargate, so that both shows fans will be pleased.
I don't know about others, but i can't really put together sci fi and soap opera.
I''ve tried, i just can't.....

ciannwn
September 27th, 2008, 12:15 PM
you'll realize that their making SGU in order to keep the BSG fans happy, now that their show is over.

BSG fans like a show where some of the lead characters are old enough to be the parents of the proposed main characters in SGU. Commander Adama is probably old enough to be the father of Colonel Young as well.

He says so, he says SGU will be a soap opera, like BSG, but also Stargate, so that both shows fans will be pleased.

So let's wait for things like suicide bombers, politics and all the other kind of plot elements from BSG turning up in SGU. :) I'm guessing that the only things they've noticed about the show is Caprica 6 in her sexy dress and some of the characters frollicking in bed.

I don't know about others, but i can't really put together sci fi and soap opera.I''ve tried, i just can't.....

There's all kinds of sci-fi including social science fiction which doesn't have to include space ships and aliens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_science_fiction

Social science fiction is a term used to describe a subgenre of science fiction concerned less with technology and space opera and more with sociological speculation about human society. In other words, it "absorbs and discusses anthropology", and speculates about human behavior and interactions

BSG goes in for a lot of studying human behaviour in the scenario's enclosed society and it's genuine science fiction. It's not the kind of science fiction that Stargate has used in it's approach, though.

smushybird
September 28th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I don't suppose I will.

First of all, I'd just be spending the whole time wishing it was SGA.
Five years of getting attached to John, Rodney, Ronon, and the rest and then--poof, it's gone so the PTB can shove "stunning" "sexy" kids barely out of their teens into my face and expect me to be just as enchanted with them as I was with SGA.

Sorry. I'm 45. I liked SGA because the characters were grown-ups (well, most of them... John and Rodney could be six-year-olds now and again, but that was part of their charm :)). I could relate to them, respect them, believe them--and with this past season, they were becoming better and more interesting characters--which is what makes me especially dispirited by the cancellation of the show.

Now it appears that SGA, with all its untapped potential and utterly wonderful cast, is being replaced by a shiny group of Barbies and Kens, with just the most utterly predictable stereotyped backgrounds and personalities-- I mean just painfully stereotyped--gah! And they're all matched up for their UST potential, of course, so we can get a lot of shiny, annoying 'shipping going on a la weekday afternoon soap operas.

It's depressing that the producers/writers/execs have so little faith in us and so little respect for us that they'd blithely trash a solid, interesting show like Atlantis just so they could start all over again with a cast of teh young and pretty. Seriously, PTB--how shallow can you be?

SG-1, Atlantis, SGU...same shows, younger and younger cast. I guess the new SG show that comes in five years, when SGU's cast has aged to 25 and grown too unbearably ugly to look at any longer, will have a cast of ten year olds? Well, maybe not, since PTB would have to give up all the UST that they seem to live and die for.

I don't watch much TV to begin with, but SGA was one show that really endeared itself to me. Most shows on TV are too full of the shiny, plastic characters that are not remotely interesting. From the article on GW's page about SGU, sounds like it's going the same route into bland all-show-no-substance. Depth, resonance, staying power, and delayed gratification no longer seem to be part of the psyche. Maybe that's just a symptom of being raised on television instead of literature. And I'm sure lots of people think, "it's just a show" and I'm making too much of it.

Sure, it's just a show, but wasted potential in any venue makes me sad.
SGA had more stories to tell and interesting characters through which to tell them. It's rare to find a TV show with such adventure stories told through the eyes of 35 yr old and older characters. To dump a show for the sole reason of having a younger cast--wow. Seriously. Even sadder is the fact that TPTB seemed to be unaware of how pathetic it is. You'd think they'd be embarrassed to have to inform the SGA cast that, sorry, we're keeping the same general show but replacing all of you so we can have a cast of characters whose main life experience to this point has been locating the Starbucks closest to campus--but oh what fun everyone will have watching them try to save the universe while the innuendos fly and the bed-hopping begins. Whee. But as long as everyone in the cast looks hot in tight leather uniforms, well--what more could an audience want? (yeah, I know, some of you are fine with that :D)

It's just sad. A lot of television is crap--but does it all have to be crap?
SGA deserved more seasons.
Shame on TPTB.

Betelgeuze
September 29th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I share smushybird´s concerns, but i´m willing to give it a chance. If the pilot doesn´t impress me i see no reason to continue watching the show.

Korumera
September 29th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I'll watch it because the story line sounds interesting enough. The fact that the ppl are in their 20's doesnt bother me that much. I'm 27 myself well 28 by the time it's on tv. So that's fine. But if the show runs for at least 5 years those characters will be older also.

We musn't forget that the cast of SG-1 was aldo young when they started so in fact it will be mostly the same. As long as they take good actors it will be fine. Soo i'll watch it for sure!

Falcon Horus
September 29th, 2008, 02:49 AM
We musn't forget that the cast of SG-1 was aldo young when they started so in fact it will be mostly the same. As long as they take good actors it will be fine. Soo i'll watch it for sure!

The only one in his mid-twenties was Michael Shanks, the others were already in their early thirties with RDA and DSD somewhat older. Not exactly in their early twenties.

badwolfSG
September 29th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I watch, I think it will be cool to have some younger characters! With younger character you don't have the wisdom that the older(more lived) character had. You get to see the youger characters make really stupid decision that you know the older charater won't make.

chaostheory6682
October 2nd, 2008, 09:00 AM
I have been a fan of Stargate since the original movie. I loved SG1, like SGA(very disappointed to hear about it's cancellation) and So far I am completely disappointed in this Stargate Universe.

It sounds like they are making a dumbed down version of a Stargate show.

From what I've read it's going to be about a group of less skilled, less educated and overall less capable people. I say this because if any other Stargate team were thrown on a ship, uncontrollably flying around a galaxy they would figure out how to get control of it and how they were going to get home.

But that's apparently not how this one's going to pan out. Disappointing guys, very disappointing. Unless they do a whole lot of story changes and work on selling this one a little better I think maybe this is one fan they have lost.

ShadowMaat
October 2nd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Unless they do a whole lot of story changes and work on selling this one a little better I think maybe this is one fan they have lost.

Haven't you heard?? If you don't worship at the altar of SGU then you're not a real fan. All your geekish privileges are hereby revoked and you are forthwith banished from the Stargate kingdom. Avaunt with thee, thou foul and recreant imposter! *waves hand imperiously* :P

BanKai
October 2nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
This series sounds horrible so far :( In fact it sounds bad enough that i just wasted time registering here so i could complain about it. I liked the first 2 series and own licensed copies of everything except the 5th season of atlantis. Just from the character descriptions alone it sounds like one of those teen movies that i cant name maybe "scary movie". Chloe wtf is with that character? Lt. Jared Nash sounds like another bad one but not as bad as Chloe because he seems a little like Ford. Also i didnt catch the series plot but the rumor of being stuck on a ship doesnt sound like a stargate "universe" to me. Ridiculous. Writers and producers need to pull their head out of whatever drug they are on and make some major changes if they want many viewers. If it remains as bad as it's looking just scratch the idea and convince someone to leave atlantis on the air because that show is very good... In a lot of ways better than sg1 imo.

ShadowMaat
October 2nd, 2008, 06:30 PM
*adds BanKai to the banished list*

Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the lemmings of war!

LoneStar1836
October 2nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Eh, I'll watch it for pure amusement...to see how bad it really turns out.
(And because apparently you need to actually watch the show in order to be able to rag on it on GW. :rolleyes::P)

At this point there is pretty much nothing that makes it sound even remotely appealing as I am having a difficult time wrapping my mind around this more "cerebral and mature" concept given what bit of info has been tossed out there.

Hey at least I'm giving tptb a chance to prove me wrong rather than just not watching it outright. ;)

BanKai
October 2nd, 2008, 07:47 PM

Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the lemmings of war!

Kneel Before your god BanKophis :sholva: lol

ShadowMaat
October 2nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
I am curious about one thing... well, I'm curious about a LOT of things, but right now I'm wondering about the whole Stargate 90210 epitaph. I know there's a new series now, but when I think of it I think of the one that was on a million years ago. Was the original such a cultural icon that EVERYONE gravitates toward that comparison or are some of us simply showing our age by mentioning it instead of the OC or... er... Dawson's Creek? No, that's probably getting too old now, too. I've seen SG: OC used, too, but not nearly as frequently as 90210. I just thought it was kinda interesting.

Falcon Horus
October 3rd, 2008, 06:00 AM

That list will be long... :p

Was the original such a cultural icon that EVERYONE gravitates toward that comparison or are some of us simply showing our age by mentioning it instead of the OC or... er... Dawson's Creek?

I'll go by age ... personally I never saw one episode of it, wasn't even remotely interested in it but it still was the first thing that came to mind. *shrug*

Update on the numbers people:

YES - 71
NO - 26
MAYBE - 2

AKA 99 people have spoken up so far.

wippolit
October 3rd, 2008, 08:07 AM
I will watch SG-U only b/c it will be the only new episodes available. I'm not thrilled the way i was when i heard about an Atlantis spin-off from Sg-1.

Everything i've read about this new series gives me the same feeling i get when my little sister comes how with a new boyfriend.... And if thats any indication then i hope i'm very wrong about SG-U.

Plus i really do think there are plenty of arc's to explore in Atlantis...

The whole randomness of constantly moving forward without reguards for established concepts established in previous episodes goes against the very theme of Stargate.

Each episode is meant to bulid to something and new problems are meant to be solved by reaching into a previous episode for soluitons.

A Space Train never stopping renders the stargate technoolgy itself obsolete...

So while based in the SG-1 era its not really gona to be a Stargate show...

Thats just how i feel about it...

GateofDOOM
October 3rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
I am curious about one thing... well, I'm curious about a LOT of things, but right now I'm wondering about the whole Stargate 90210 epitaph. I know there's a new series now, but when I think of it I think of the one that was on a million years ago. Was the original such a cultural icon that EVERYONE gravitates toward that comparison or are some of us simply showing our age by mentioning it instead of the OC or... er... Dawson's Creek? No, that's probably getting too old now, too. I've seen SG: OC used, too, but not nearly as frequently as 90210. I just thought it was kinda interesting.

It's...catchier? Try saying them all out loud.

Personally, I wanted to call it Stargate: DOOM! but no one bit that one. :P

Should I vote in the poll?

Falcon Horus
October 3rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Should I vote in the poll?

All my work ... all my hard work for not... :(

I shall vote and still keep track. :D

Killdeer
October 3rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
I vote no.

Why? I've been generally unhappy with the way that the current group of producer/writers have taken the Stargate franchise over the last few years, and have only stuck around due to character loyalty. Remove the characters, remove the loyalty.

As far as giving it a chance? I follow ten shows regularly (although granted a couple of them are summer series), and I'm catching up with a couple more via DVD. And that's really more TV than I want to be watching. I didn't start any new shows this season, and I dropped one (Heroes). So why would I take the time to "give SGU a chance" when the premise is uninteresting, the track record of the creators is disappointing (to me), and I already am swamped with other entertainment? And quite frankly, if I was going to give a show "a chance", there's a few others that would be higher up the list than this one - Fringe comes to mind, for example.

Falcon Horus
October 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
Congratulations Killdeer, you are the 100th voter in the poll!

Killdeer
October 3rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Yay! ;) Thanks for keeping the count FH!

ShadowMaat
October 3rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Congratulations Killdeer, you are the 100th voter in the poll!

And as the 100th poster, only your vote counts, so ta-da! No one can watch SGU! :D Of course, given that not watching also means you're an effed up worthless poser, you'll have to stop posting on Gateworld, too, because only real true LOYAL fans are allowed to post here and if you aren't watching you should go hang yourself have no right to be here.

So there. :)

Poor Darren, he's gonna be left with this big, pretty forum that no one can post on on which no one can post.

Killdeer
October 3rd, 2008, 05:05 PM
:lol:

Integrabyte
October 6th, 2008, 04:46 AM
And as the 100th poster, only your vote counts, so ta-da! No one can watch SGU! :D Of course, given that not watching also means you're an effed up worthless poser, you'll have to stop posting on Gateworld, too, because only real true LOYAL fans are allowed to post here and if you aren't watching you should go hang yourself have no right to be here.

So there. :)

Poor Darren, he's gonna be left with this big, pretty forum that no one can post on on which no one can post.

Do you want some fries with that?

Ikaros
October 6th, 2008, 11:20 AM
BSG fans like a show where some of the lead characters are old enough to be the parents of the proposed main characters in SGU. Commander Adama is probably old enough to be the father of Colonel Young as well..
So i quess SGU sounds stupid to those funs to...

So let's wait for things like suicide bombers, politics and all the other kind of plot elements from BSG turning up in SGU. :) I'm guessing that the only things they've noticed about the show is Caprica 6 in her sexy dress and some of the characters frollicking in bed. ..
Mainstream TV..... no thnk you. Another thing that shows how unlike Stargate this show is going to be.If it is anyhting near this, it has nothing to do with Stargate.People are free to like and watch anything they want. A certain kind of people, the SCIENCE fiction nerds, just can't watch mainstream TV.

There's all kinds of sci-fi including social science fiction which doesn't have to include space ships and aliens...

Social science fiction is a term used to describe a subgenre of science fiction concerned less with technology and space opera and more with sociological speculation about human society. In other words, it "absorbs and discusses anthropology", and speculates about human behavior and interactions
Ok but i'll say it again, Stargate was about Science at it's best.
It's viewers wanted to watch Science staff, wanted infos about science and technology. They didn't want sociology, psychology or anything like it.

BSG goes in for a lot of studying human behaviour in the scenario's enclosed society and it's genuine science fiction. It's not the kind of science fiction that Stargate has used in it's approach, though.

Nice, so people who like "studying human behaviour" etc would love to watch a show like that. People who like Astronomy, Physics and anything that can give them scientific information love Stargate.
In any case the two shows have nothing in common, except for the word "science" in their characterization.

Reiko
October 6th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Either yes or no, but for either way, probably not for the reasons that you'd think I am.

TrustMeIamADoctor
October 6th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Curiocity? Thats the only logical reason ;)

_Famrir_
October 6th, 2008, 05:41 PM
of course i have too much free time on my hands and it is also in my demographic (14)

silly sally
October 7th, 2008, 04:14 AM
I voted no! I might check it out from alternative means, but not on Sci-fi; if it's really outstanding (very unlikely) I'll buy it from iTunes...

maxbo
October 7th, 2008, 11:19 AM
No, I won't be watching because I don't trust these writers to craft a series that I would find interesting beyond a character or two.

Achaja
October 7th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I'm planning to watch SGU, just because I can't imagine life without the gates:D and also think that the production is in good hands! If the cast or these characters will dissapointed me I would stop watching. Simple. ;)

Killjoy_Zero
October 7th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I plan to download a few episodes to see if its worth while then, if it is, buy the DVDs otherwise, yes, I do plan on watching it. I would watch the live premiere but i'll be in Tech school during that time and I dont think i'll get to watch any TV.

SGAtlantisP60
October 20th, 2008, 11:25 AM
ok i know that there are alot of people out there who already made up their minds about unvierse evan before it aired.. mainly becasue of the tragic cancellation of Stargate Atlantis....which stinks cause i love atlantis. ok so who here is actaully going to watch the show i mean atleast give it a chance?????:sheppard::mckay::ronan::teyla::beckett:

Girlbot
October 20th, 2008, 11:55 AM
ok i know that there are alot of people out there who already made up their minds about unvierse evan before it aired.. mainly becasue of the tragic cancellation of Stargate Atlantis....which stinks cause i love atlantis. ok so who here is actaully going to watch the show i mean atleast give it a chance?????:sheppard::mckay::ronan::teyla::beckett:
I will. I have stayed away from the spoilers and so I have no idea exactly what is going on. I will give it a chance. Atlantis wasn't my favorite, but I loved SG1 and I love Sci fi in general. So anything new in Sci Fi at least deserves a chance to stand on it's own. We'll see how it works out.

ferrari20092
October 20th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I'm gonna watch it. Not watching it just because Atlantis got canceled it stupid and that's people pretty much saying they are sick of stargate and want the series to die.

jnadreth
October 20th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I'm going to watch it-Atlantis was really running out of possible stories and bringing in a new enemy has been done in SG-1. Universe is said to be more space based so we can expect tons of new ships and races and hopefully a WKD series.

ShadowMaat
October 20th, 2008, 06:04 PM
If one more person says that the cancellation of Atlantis is the main reason folks aren't planning to tune in I swear I'm going to start throwing flaming squirrels at people...

Betelgeuze
October 21st, 2008, 05:37 AM
I'm going to give it a chance. At first i was really sceptical about the concept of the show. Especially with regards to it being targeted to a younger audience. But now i'm strarting to see the potential. I'm still a bit worried that it's going to be a little to teen-drama or soap like for my tastes. However as long as they keep in enough science, interesting aliens, and mythology, i will continue to watch the show beyond the first few eps.

Girlbot
October 21st, 2008, 05:55 AM
If one more person says that the cancellation of Atlantis is the main reason folks aren't planning to tune in I swear I'm going to start throwing flaming squirrels at people...
:eek: shame on you, taking it out on poor squirrels.:(

Falcon Horus
October 21st, 2008, 08:11 AM

*sits back and waits* This should be fun.

ShadowMaat
October 21st, 2008, 05:07 PM
:eek: shame on you, taking it out on poor squirrels.:(

You've never actually met a squirrel, have you? :P Their little black souls burn with malevolence already; I'd just be making it a bit more visual.

And when a flaming squirrel crawls up your trouser leg you'll think twice about making sweeping generalizations. Assuming you survive long enough to think anything beyond AHHH! GET IT OFF ME!! ;)

Girlbot
October 21st, 2008, 06:32 PM
You've never actually met a squirrel, have you? :P Their little black souls burn with malevolence already; I'd just be making it a bit more visual.

And when a flaming squirrel crawls up your trouser leg you'll think twice about making sweeping generalizations. Assuming you survive long enough to think anything beyond AHHH! GET IT OFF ME!! ;)
I certainly have met a squirrel. Scooter lives in my back yard, and lifts the feeder lid to get his own peanuts. :) He's a cutie. So when you make generalizationsthat squirrels have black souls, you should rethink that.
Maybe all the bad ones are with you. time to move Shadowmaat :p

jelgate
October 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM
All I know is squirrels make a good dinner.

Girlbot
October 21st, 2008, 06:35 PM
All I know is squirrels make a good dinner.

Really? I didn't even know they could cook. :D

ShadowMaat
October 21st, 2008, 06:41 PM
I certainly have met a squirrel. Scooter lives in my back yard, and lifts the feeder lid to get his own peanuts. :) He's a cutie.
You poor, poor thing. That monster has you completely brainwashed, doesn't he? I'd pat you on the head sympathetically but you might be contagious. Kinda like how lame plot ideas seem to be contagious in the SG-verse (she said, deftly getting the thread back on topic). They take good writers and they beat them into submission until they're either cowering in a corner using one particular character to shield themselves or they flat-out break and start churning out the same mind-numbing trash as the rest of them.

That is why I don't hold much hope for SGU and why I'm not planning to watch: NOT because Atlantis was canceled (which came at least a year too late, IMO) but because I know some of the old school writers are going to be involved and I have absolute faith in their ability to ruin anything- and anyone- they touch.

If TPTB were revealed to be a bunch of squirrels, I would not be in the least bit surprised...

Girlbot
October 21st, 2008, 06:48 PM
Y

If TPTB were revealed to be a bunch of squirrels, I would not be in the least bit surprised...
If they are squirrels, it's a good thing I'm feeding them , the way they are being abused by TPTB

Khalaris
October 22nd, 2008, 07:40 AM
Easy question for me. If I think it's good I'll keep watching it, if not then I won't. I'll at least give it a chance.

dmovies
October 22nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
I won't even consider watching Universe ever. The reason simple, 12 years without Sam/Jack confirmation.

Cautious Explorer
October 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
You poor, poor thing. That monster has you completely brainwashed, doesn't he? I'd pat you on the head sympathetically but you might be contagious. Kinda like how lame plot ideas seem to be contagious in the SG-verse (she said, deftly getting the thread back on topic). They take good writers and they beat them into submission until they're either cowering in a corner using one particular character to shield themselves or they flat-out break and start churning out the same mind-numbing trash as the rest of them.

That is why I don't hold much hope for SGU and why I'm not planning to watch: NOT because Atlantis was canceled (which came at least a year too late, IMO) but because I know some of the old school writers are going to be involved and I have absolute faith in their ability to ruin anything- and anyone- they touch.

Finally an explanation I can believe. I wondered what happened to SGA? Now it's so clear. Thank you.

jenks
October 22nd, 2008, 09:20 AM
I won't even consider watching Universe ever. The reason simple, 12 years without Sam/Jack confirmation.

How embarrassing.

Integrabyte
October 22nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
How embarrassing.

Have you ever seen the rain?

jenks
October 22nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
What?

poundpuppy29
October 22nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
I am still undecided if I am going to watch from reading the character desriptions there is not a character I relate ot on SG-1 it was Daniel on SGA it was Elizabeth. I could relate to Cam and Vala too.

Callista
October 24th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Probably not.

I don't have cable and it doesn't sound like anything I'd want to go out of my way (or pay) to watch. If it happens to be on when I'm visiting my mother or at a hotel at which I'm staying I suppose I might give it a shot. Truth be told, I hated the original movie and I was never too fond of Atlantis, so I think I'm more just an SG-1 fan rather than a Stargate franchise fan.

Don't worry, though. It would seem that I'm not in any desirable target markets so whether or not I watch it won't make any difference to its longevity anyway.

hutchi4
October 25th, 2008, 05:17 PM
totally no for me sounds boring and pretty much a new star trek sorry I'd rather SG1 & SGA ANY DAY LOL

Falcon Horus
October 25th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Let's update the numbers, shall we. :)

YES - 77
NO - 32
MAYBE - 3

Posters (112)

Infinite-Possibilities
October 25th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I plan to watch the beginnings yes, but that doesn't mean I'll continue to if it isn't very good.

I'm terrified that it'll ed up being like "Broken Bow". In a single episode: half of the Pilot, Enterprise managed to have me go from excited about the next Star Trek show to hating my own favorite franchise.

I have a considerable level of skepticism about the show and I'm not happy they are replacing Stargate: Atlantis for it, but at the end of the day I'd rather enjoy this only remaining Stargate television show than not.

x Varda x
October 25th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I'll definitely watch Universe. I love all things Sci-Fi :)
Although if it takes 3 years for the DVDs to come out in the UK (like Atlantis) it's going to be a *very* long time before I get to see it :(

Bee11
October 26th, 2008, 05:32 AM
I'll watch it just to see if i enjoy it or not
i hated Atlantis when i first watched it, now i like it!

I don't like the sound of the characters so far but we don't know what changes might be made. Also the actor playing the role may make a difference, on paper they might seem bad but I'll just have to wait to see

stargabb
October 31st, 2008, 02:06 AM
well i loved sg-1 and atlantis and i'm really pis sed off that atlantis is being cancelled and i'm still fighting to get it back...but i will watch and see how universe turns out

Mclean
October 31st, 2008, 07:37 AM
I'll watch Universe because I'm a huge Stargate fan and I'm willing to give it a chance. I don't see why everyone is up in arms about it. It could turn out to be just as good as SG1/SGA or even better.

silvercomet
October 31st, 2008, 01:05 PM
No, I definitely won't watch it. There are several reasons. I'm not a Stargate fan, I'm a Stargate Atlantis fan. So just the name Stargate isn't a trigger for me. And even now I'm not excited about everything Stargate related.

I'm also not a Sci-Fi fan in particular. Stargate is something special because it's based on Stargates, not on spaceships. SGU has a basic story like almost every other Sci-Fi show - a spaceship. Well, the ones I know anyway. I don't want to see this. Spaceships are only an addition. Not the main reason.

Although SGA is the best show ever for me - Farscape was brilliant with a similar storyline like SGU. I can't imagine something better. If TPTB really want a more character-driven show, no - looking at SGA and SG-1 - IMO the writers aren't able to write such things in a quality like this (i.e. the romance stories in SGA are just awful without real feelings. And I miss more character development and struggle with the events/decisions). Why bother to watch something when I know there is a better show I can watch?

If the actors are really about 10 or even 15 years younger than me (a fact we can't be sure about at this moment), I also don't want to watch. It doesn't matter what the characters will be like. I prefer actors around my age and older. Or at least a mix like the people from SGA.

The cancellation of SGA is a reason for me, too. I don't think it was the right time and it just seems that the only real reason was the start of Universe. But not enough, many people of TPTB just offended us fans in many ways with their statements. Well, that's what I felt. Why should I give them my money any longer? Since I don't live in the USA I don't count for the ratings. But I used to spend some money for this franchise. I even bought both SG-1 movies although I'm not a great SG-1 fan.

With both shows (SGA and SGU) together I would have given SGU a chance. Just for the franchise.

crowmagnumman
October 31st, 2008, 01:07 PM
I'll definitely give it a try. I like Atlantis(not quite as much lately), but SG-1 is where it's at for me. Stargate Universe looks like it will suck, but there's no way to know for sure until I watch it. I could end up loving it for all I know. I'm a big sci-fi fan in general. So I'll try out almost any new sci-fi tv show.

david2708
November 1st, 2008, 12:39 AM
It'll depend on the production team.
If I see those same tired old names that drove Stargate into the ground still hanging on for grim death, then I'll pass. I'll let the season play out and if i hear some genuine critical praise(not fanboy stuff) I'll have a peak-maybe.
The law of dimishing returns will see the show only last 3 seasons max, so I might not bother to invest the time.

ReFRidgerator
November 1st, 2008, 07:52 AM
I want to be able to watch it, but I don't have cable. Ill either try to catch re-runs or just get the DVD's when they come out. But, if it were on broadcast or I had cable I would definatly watch it.

The_Daedalus
November 1st, 2008, 07:59 AM
Yep I will watch SGU...
Stargate Atlantis didn´t liked me in a first, but now I love it!!! I got to give to SGU a chance...

GateFanSamJack
November 1st, 2008, 08:06 AM
I'll watch because I know it will be good, or at least the best thing in current production next to Sanctuary.

I make a conscious effort not to discount new shows. I've been through the cycle before of being struck with my loyalty to an older show and not thinking a new one would be anything other than a let-down. I remember being a ST:TOS snob about ST:TNG, then started watching around the 4th season and was a total fan in short time. I might've done the same thing for other ST series, but the journey was more like going from "don't care" to "worth watching".

I even thought the same when I first saw SG-1 on TV. I thought the movie was so good that any series would just be a prolonged, agonizing, decrescendo that would ruin the movie for me. Boy, was I wrong about that.

I guess new shows are a let-down sometimes. I loved My Big Fat Greek Wedding the Movie, but the series, or was it just a pilot was agonizingly bad. I don't think that will happen this time, especially since, what else is on TV besides Sanctuary? The only thing to do is watch and see and, in my case, watch a bit more if it is watchable because I know my history of taking a while to get into a show.

The only thing that might cause me to delay watching it is that, once I am a fan, the wait for a new episode release kills me a bit. I was pretty let down last night to realize there wouldn't be a new episode of Atlantis and Sanctuary playing. Not caring about ST: Voyager until later made getting the series on Netflix and watching it all at once a nice mini-vacation for me so that was nice, but I know I'll be following this one from the beginning so I will be living my life between Fridays again for a while.

Calhoun
November 1st, 2008, 08:52 AM
Of course I'll watch it... while plenty of people are determined to decide whether they like it or not based solely upon pre-production art and a few vague character bios, I prefer to decide whether something's good or not by actually watching it. If I then decide it's no good, I will have done so based upon reality, and not my own imagination.

Besides, how many people didn't watch Deep Space Nine because it sounded like a copy of Babylon 5 (or vis versa)? How many people didn't watch Pushing Daisies because it seemed so similar to Dead Like Me and/or Wonderfalls? In the end, every show is different, SG:U may be brilliant, or it may be terrible. We won't know until it starts airing next year, and I for one think we need to give Universe a chance.

bodrul
November 1st, 2008, 11:07 AM
nope, i wont be watching it
since it will prob be pulled off by the idiots at SCIFI
dont see the point in the channel anymore (granted i dont even watch scifi as it doesnt show anything of intrest in the UK)

but sucks that the US scifi can screw things up for everyone

fwupow
November 1st, 2008, 11:27 AM
nope, i wont be watching it
since it will prob be pulled off by the idiots at SCIFI
dont see the point in the channel anymore (granted i dont even watch scifi as it doesnt show anything of intrest in the UK)

but sucks that the US scifi can screw things up for everyone

I will give it a try, but I sympathize with your remarks.

Why risk attachment to something that Sci-Fi will yank out from under us just when we've come to cherish it?

All us SG-1 fans took our loyalty, love and attachment to SG-1 and went out and bought the SG-1 DVD's. Guess what that did for us? Now MGM and Sci-Fi want to use any Stargate TV show as a springboard to DVD movie making so they can plunder us for money.

It would appear that if we want the next Stargate TV show to stay on the air, we're gonna have to let the DVDs sit on the store shelves.

tombombadil
November 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
don't knock it til yo rock it.

Fandom Addict
November 2nd, 2008, 05:05 AM
I'll watch it. It's still a Stargate show, and whatever happens, I'm loyal to it all.