Tell me everything about... Farscape!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me everything about... Farscape!

I've always been hearing about this show, but all i seem to remember about it is that albino humanoid woman. Not much. So please tell everything about it. Maybe I might even become a fan!

John Crighton, a NASA astronaut testing a new space ship, is sucked through a wormhole and lands in the far side of the galaxy. He falls in with a crowd of 'criminals' - whose crimes were mostly to be nuisances to the fascist 'Peacekeepers' who control that part of space.

It's a vicious part of space, not the pretty civilised sort of galaxy we're used to on Star Trek. It's a visual feast though, with the most interesting-looking and varied aliens you're likely to see on TV.

It's a show with no reset button. It's funny, dark in places, heart-wrenching at times, and it subverts a lot of cliches.

It's worth making the effort to watch at least the first six or seven eps: then you'll know if you're into it or not.

Madeleine

Comment

It's very simlar to Firefly in the beginning; former prisoners on the run from evil controlling empire, but then Farscape goes further and introduces more characters and worlds with every episode and it expands our knowledge of their Universe in often unexpected ways. You learn more about the species and cultures of the main charcters and other new characters along their journeys, as well as more about the actual characters themselves. I only just finished watching season 2 and I can't believe how much information they packed into a whole season. I've never felt like I understood a Science Fiction show as early on as with Farscape. It is similar to other shows and yet in some ways, unique. Very worthwhile to watch, even if you have to buy the DVD's. If you like drama, romance, comedy, and action Farscape is a worthy choice.
      StarshineRoxie
      A woman that allows herself the balance of cool wisdom and strength of heart.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
        John Crighton, a NASA astronaut testing a new space ship, is sucked through a wormhole and lands in the far side of the galaxy. He falls in with a crowd of 'criminals' - whose crimes were mostly to be nuisances to the fascist 'Peacekeepers' who control that part of space.

It's a vicious part of space, not the pretty civilised sort of galaxy we're used to on Star Trek. It's a visual feast though, with the most interesting-looking and varied aliens you're likely to see on TV.

It's a show with no reset button. It's funny, dark in places, heart-wrenching at times, and it subverts a lot of cliches.

It's worth making the effort to watch at least the first six or seven eps: then you'll know if you're into it or not.
        Actually he's John CRICHTON. And it's IASA, not NASA

I'd say (and it's not only my opinion) that episode 9 - DNA Mad Scientist is actually the most critical episode, after which people know exactly what to expect from the show and either continue to watch or not.

Comment

Originally posted by starshineRoxie View Post
          It's very simlar to Firefly in the beginning; former prisoners on the run from evil controlling empire, but then Farscape goes further and introduces more characters and worlds with every episode and it expands our knowledge of their Universe in often unexpected ways. You learn more about the species and cultures of the main charcters and other new characters along their journeys, as well as more about the actual characters themselves. I only just finished watching season 2 and I can't believe how much information they packed into a whole season. I've never felt like I understood a Science Fiction show as early on as with Farscape. It is similar to other shows and yet in some ways, unique. Very worthwhile to watch, even if you have to buy the DVD's. If you like drama, romance, comedy, and action Farscape is a worthy choice.
          Actually "Firefly" is very similar to "Farscape". Farscape was 3 years EARLIER than Firefly, so it's quite possible that Joss Whedon was a fan of Farscape when he was writing Firefly.

Comment

Farscape is a crazy, wacky, emotional roller coaster ride.
            Farscape is NOT your momma's Star Trek.
            Farscape is FANFRELLIN'TASTIC!
            sigpic
            I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
              Farscape is a crazy, wacky, emotional roller coaster ride.
              Farscape is NOT your momma's Star Trek.
              Farscape is FANFRELLIN'TASTIC!

Abso"frelling"lutely.

Sybil

Comment

It's the most brilliant show ever made!!!! As close to perfect as any show can get.!
                Heidi
                Jack and Sam=Grace

JOHN AND AERYN 4 EVER

HENRY AND HELEN=MORE THAN ABNORMAL

Comment

One of the most brilliant series ever made.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ladyinred View Post
                    Actually he's John CRICHTON. And it's IASA, not NASA

I'd say (and it's not only my opinion) that episode 9 - DNA Mad Scientist is actually the most critical episode, after which people know exactly what to expect from the show and either continue to watch or not.
                    I concede on all points.

Madeleine

Comment

It stars Ben Browder, in various states of undress. What other reason do you need to start watching?!

Comment

Farscape never tried to dumb down the writing. From the first episode where they explain why all these different species can understand each other ( injected in infancy with translator microbes ) to the Peacekeeper Wars the writing was always on target. Then their was the fantastic actors who could make you even relate to what you knew were sort of a cross between animatronics and puppets. You could weep with Pilot and get royally pissed at Rygel and it seemed perfectly normal because of the fabulous job of acting.
                        Michael Shanks in Local Custom and Ben Browder in Interlopers

Comment

Originally posted by Ladyinred View Post
                          Actually "Firefly" is very similar to "Farscape". Farscape was 3 years EARLIER than Firefly, so it's quite possible that Joss Whedon was a fan of Farscape when he was writing Firefly.
                          If 1 + 1 = 2, does 2 - 1 =1? In logic, if something is equivalent, order doesn't matter.
                          StarshineRoxie
                          A woman that allows herself the balance of cool wisdom and strength of heart.
                          sigpic

Comment

Farscape is such a weird and wonderful journey that everyone MUST experience! It's full of wacky characters and is action-packed.

The Moment that should NOT have happened!

Comment

Originally posted by LtColSamONeill View Post
                              It's the most brilliant show ever made!!!! As close to perfect as any show can get.!
                              Farscape was indeed as close to perfect as a show can get. There will never be another show like Farscape.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X