PDA

View Full Version : Tell me everything about... Farscape!

hamatau'ri
September 8th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I've always been hearing about this show, but all i seem to remember about it is that albino humanoid woman. Not much. So please tell everything about it. Maybe I might even become a fan!

Madeleine
September 8th, 2008, 10:15 AM
John Crighton, a NASA astronaut testing a new space ship, is sucked through a wormhole and lands in the far side of the galaxy. He falls in with a crowd of 'criminals' - whose crimes were mostly to be nuisances to the fascist 'Peacekeepers' who control that part of space.

It's a vicious part of space, not the pretty civilised sort of galaxy we're used to on Star Trek. It's a visual feast though, with the most interesting-looking and varied aliens you're likely to see on TV.

It's a show with no reset button. It's funny, dark in places, heart-wrenching at times, and it subverts a lot of cliches.

It's worth making the effort to watch at least the first six or seven eps: then you'll know if you're into it or not.

starshineRoxie
September 8th, 2008, 11:37 AM
It's very simlar to Firefly in the beginning; former prisoners on the run from evil controlling empire, but then Farscape goes further and introduces more characters and worlds with every episode and it expands our knowledge of their Universe in often unexpected ways. You learn more about the species and cultures of the main charcters and other new characters along their journeys, as well as more about the actual characters themselves. I only just finished watching season 2 and I can't believe how much information they packed into a whole season. I've never felt like I understood a Science Fiction show as early on as with Farscape. It is similar to other shows and yet in some ways, unique. Very worthwhile to watch, even if you have to buy the DVD's. If you like drama, romance, comedy, and action Farscape is a worthy choice. :)

Ladyinred
September 8th, 2008, 11:42 AM
John Crighton, a NASA astronaut testing a new space ship, is sucked through a wormhole and lands in the far side of the galaxy. He falls in with a crowd of 'criminals' - whose crimes were mostly to be nuisances to the fascist 'Peacekeepers' who control that part of space.

It's a vicious part of space, not the pretty civilised sort of galaxy we're used to on Star Trek. It's a visual feast though, with the most interesting-looking and varied aliens you're likely to see on TV.

It's a show with no reset button. It's funny, dark in places, heart-wrenching at times, and it subverts a lot of cliches.

It's worth making the effort to watch at least the first six or seven eps: then you'll know if you're into it or not.

Actually he's John CRICHTON. And it's IASA, not NASA :)

I'd say (and it's not only my opinion) that episode 9 - DNA Mad Scientist is actually the most critical episode, after which people know exactly what to expect from the show and either continue to watch or not.

Ladyinred
September 8th, 2008, 11:50 AM
It's very simlar to Firefly in the beginning; former prisoners on the run from evil controlling empire, but then Farscape goes further and introduces more characters and worlds with every episode and it expands our knowledge of their Universe in often unexpected ways. You learn more about the species and cultures of the main charcters and other new characters along their journeys, as well as more about the actual characters themselves. I only just finished watching season 2 and I can't believe how much information they packed into a whole season. I've never felt like I understood a Science Fiction show as early on as with Farscape. It is similar to other shows and yet in some ways, unique. Very worthwhile to watch, even if you have to buy the DVD's. If you like drama, romance, comedy, and action Farscape is a worthy choice. :)

Actually "Firefly" is very similar to "Farscape". Farscape was 3 years EARLIER than Firefly, so it's quite possible that Joss Whedon was a fan of Farscape when he was writing Firefly.

SunKrux
September 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Farscape is a crazy, wacky, emotional roller coaster ride.
Farscape is NOT your momma's Star Trek.
Farscape is FANFRELLIN'TASTIC!

shester
September 8th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Farscape is a crazy, wacky, emotional roller coaster ride.
Farscape is NOT your momma's Star Trek.
Farscape is FANFRELLIN'TASTIC!

Abso"frelling"lutely.

Sybil

LtColSamONeill
September 8th, 2008, 07:52 PM
It's the most brilliant show ever made!!!! As close to perfect as any show can get.!

IcarusAbides
September 8th, 2008, 11:39 PM
One of the most brilliant series ever made.

Madeleine
September 9th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Actually he's John CRICHTON. And it's IASA, not NASA :)

I'd say (and it's not only my opinion) that episode 9 - DNA Mad Scientist is actually the most critical episode, after which people know exactly what to expect from the show and either continue to watch or not.

I concede on all points.

Frozen Serpent
September 9th, 2008, 05:41 AM
It stars Ben Browder, in various states of undress. What other reason do you need to start watching?!

:p

ruach
September 9th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Farscape never tried to dumb down the writing. From the first episode where they explain why all these different species can understand each other ( injected in infancy with translator microbes ) to the Peacekeeper Wars the writing was always on target. Then their was the fantastic actors who could make you even relate to what you knew were sort of a cross between animatronics and puppets. You could weep with Pilot and get royally pissed at Rygel and it seemed perfectly normal because of the fabulous job of acting.

starshineRoxie
September 9th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Actually "Firefly" is very similar to "Farscape". Farscape was 3 years EARLIER than Firefly, so it's quite possible that Joss Whedon was a fan of Farscape when he was writing Firefly.

If 1 + 1 = 2, does 2 - 1 =1? In logic, if something is equivalent, order doesn't matter. ;)

Oceanic_Jack
September 9th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Farscape is such a weird and wonderful journey that everyone MUST experience! It's full of wacky characters and is action-packed.

the fifth man
September 9th, 2008, 07:31 PM
It's the most brilliant show ever made!!!! As close to perfect as any show can get.!

Farscape was indeed as close to perfect as a show can get. There will never be another show like Farscape.

magictrick
September 10th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Its just an awesome Sci Fi show. Its dark, edgy, heart-wrenching and action-packed. The characters are developed extremely well, and they make or break the show. If you like the characters, you love the show.

the fifth man
September 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I have never cared for characters on a show as much as I cared for those on Farscape. What happened to them really mattered to me. Well, ok, maybe SG-1 too.;)

BritAngie
September 13th, 2008, 05:29 AM
It stars Ben Browder, in various states of undress. What other reason do you need to start watching?!

:p

Correction- Ben Browder in leather and various states of undress lol

BritAngie
September 13th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Let me tell you about Farscape,

It will make you laugh, make you cry, make you cheer, make you shake your fist at the tv and scream noooooooooooo. It will make you squirm ,it will make you go ahhh, it will make you worried, make you uncomfortable, make you grin from ear to ear, make you over the moon. It's complex, it's simple, it's puzzling and logical. It's everything and anything. It makes you leave your perceptions at the door and gives you a whole new set of mental toys to play with.

Most if all it will make you think and.. go "Hell YEAH"

Watching the show is not a spectator sport- it's an active sport! (Think rollercoaster tv, underwater, with sharks, whilst eating chocolate, ice cream and pizza and having sex with your most fave person in the world- only better)

Did I mention I like it? :D

Oh and it has zero calories! :D

Yvie
September 13th, 2008, 10:07 AM
It's a great investment in quality storytelling. It's challenging but not in a way that you have to digest every detail of the mythology. The characters are very well developed and complex. The writing and acting are superb. It's one of only a handful of shows I've watched where TPTB just really knew what they were doing and how to tell a solid story. It was very creative and defied a lot of science fiction stereotypes.

Madeleine
September 14th, 2008, 01:06 AM
It's refreshing that although we the audience are meant to see this through the eyes of the central character, the hero, square-jawed heroic archetype John Crichton (and we do) the other characters certainly don't see things that way. They think John's a bit of an ignorant twit. They each mostly think it's *their* story, and act accordingly, which makes them far more 3-D. In any sixties or eighties show, John would have become the de facto leader within two episodes, but there's none of that going on in Farscape.

Also, it's FAST. For instance ST:Voyager, which was from around the same time as Farscape IIRC, would run for 42 minutes, with 15m to set the scene, 15m to explain how something is going wrong, 5min for the crew to realise the problem and 7m for the heroic or technobabbly rescue package.

Farscape never seemed to waste much time setting the scene: it let you inhale the atmosphere over the episode, which I liked better: you don't need to be told for 10 minutes how dangerous a planet may be if you go there and see it being dangferous! And Farscape usually had it's 'something going wrong' before the opening credits had played, which meant that the entire episode was exciting and everything that happened mattered.

Prometheus 1
September 14th, 2008, 09:32 AM
yea i just started watching a few months ago and i'm mid way through Season 3 and so far its on my top five list of Science Fiction Shows:

1. Star Trek (all)
2. Stargate (all)
3. Farscape
4. Babylon 5
5. New Amsterdam

Dimbo_Sama
September 14th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I've been offically bitten by the Dentic.

I've been watching it for a while now. I'm up to Durkah Returns (haven't watched it yet) and I would say it's up there with Babylon 5 and SG-1 and Dr. Who as being one of my faves.

Just one thing has been bugging me.

What the fell is IASA supposed to Stand for?

./freelancer
September 14th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I've been offically bitten by the Dentic.

I've been watching it for a while now. I'm up to Durkah Returns (haven't watched it yet) and I would say it's up there with Babylon 5 and SG-1 and Dr. Who as being one of my faves.

Just one thing has been bugging me.

What the fell is IASA supposed to Stand for?
International Aeronautics and Space Agency. It was originally going to be NASA, but it didn't work out (NASA wanted script approval for every episode :P)

the fifth man
September 16th, 2008, 07:20 PM
International Aeronautics and Space Agency. It was originally going to be NASA, but it didn't work out (NASA wanted script approval for every episode :P)

Well, now I finally have an answer for that.:)

./freelancer
September 17th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Well, now I finally have an answer for that.:)
They talked about it in the Premiere audio commentary (which everyone should listen to at least once, btw) :)

starshineRoxie
September 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM
It's a great investment in quality storytelling. It's challenging but not in a way that you have to digest every detail of the mythology. The characters are very well developed and complex. The writing and acting are superb. It's one of only a handful of shows I've watched where TPTB just really knew what they were doing and how to tell a solid story. It was very creative and defied a lot of science fiction stereotypes.

And in a good way too. :)