This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why a ship-based series is a GOOD idea!

Like pretty much the rest of the posters at Gateworld, I've been extremely torn as to the whole ship-based thing. On one hand, I think that's completely the problem with the franchise in recent years. The last 3 years or so of SG-1 were really dragged down by a lack of actual gating, and Atlantis has suffered from the same thing right from the get-go. For a show called STARGATE, that really shouldn't be the case, should it? Should not the premise of a show called STARGATE be to use said device to explore new places?

So let's try and take a positive spin to this, and think up reasons how a ship-based series might actually be pretty cool after all. I'll start off with some things I've been brainstorming while laying in bed unsuccessfully attempting to sleep:

Presumably the mission of the ship means that it periodically stops at places where gates have been seeded--so that its intended crew could have a look around the new digs and gather some data about the planets in question, indigenous life forms, that sort of thing. Now that would allow for a whole lot of on-location shooting wouldn't it? It would also allow for all sorts of interaction with new and exciting races we've never met before. It means that there could be small or large arcs involving alien races if it takes the ship a while to traverse some spacefaring empire's territory.

Think about it: the reason they're stuck is because the ship is on an unalterable course, right? Say it's dropped 20 gates in one galaxy, and most of them are in the territory of some aggressive race that doesn't much like its turf trespassed on. If our guys can't alter the ship's course, that means they've got a long bloody time to try to survive a region of space or make friends with the people in it.

Suppose one of our crew gets left behind on a planet, and has to do their best to chase after the ship via a freshly planted gate network, hoping against all odds to catch up before being left behind in an alien galaxy--permanently.

By the same token, long travel times between destinations is an idea that lends itself to plots about terrible isolation. We could have a lot of character development stories, while they're stuck on the (presumably vast) ship with no-one to interact with but each other. I'm picturing ill-thought-out relationships, intense arguments brought on by being stuck together for long periods of time, comedy episodes about them being hopelessly bored and attempting to pass the time.

The nature of the ship also allows for easy transition of guests a la Farscape or Lexx. Someone comes on board with them, gets cold feet about being stuck there forever, goes home a few episodes later. Or someone comes on board at the wrong time and is stuck with them forever. Maybe someone sneaks aboard and isn't really disruptive, just enigmatic and has to be figured out over the course of a few eps or even a few years.

Limitless possibilities people, let's try to put a good spin on things!
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I don't have any brilliant ideas, but somebody with a Fozzy Bear picture deserves a high five !

Comment

well it would be cool to stop following just one team and one ship. why not have a season which does it different: we start out on the destiny, destiny explores, group's left behind. next eppy focussus on that team. next back on the destiny, things like that

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        well it would be cool to stop following just one team and one ship. why not have a season which does it different: we start out on the destiny, destiny explores, group's left behind. next eppy focussus on that team. next back on the destiny, things like that
        Actually that would be very interesting. They could have one group on Destiny while the other group travels the galaxy via Stargate trying rejoin the group or, if they know it's impossible to get back to Destiny, they could travel the galaxy looking for some other way home.

Perfecto!

Comment

I think the show has a great idea (hope it plays out well though). We get to see lots and lots of different galaxies. PLUS the Stargate still comes in real handy...only this time there's a time-limit on using it before the ship goes too far out of range. Which I think can add a bit of tension to off-world travels.
          It feels good to be alive.
          Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Thats actually the best idea on the show, ever.

However, another good thing is it is ship based, but we can't control th ship, so it's really like the SGC with some fancy weapons to defend itself. And for it not to be destoryed yet (assuming its has left yet -- who knows, we might find it in this galaxy) means it can defend itself pretty good. Second, this means the Stargate will be used pretty heavily. We may not use it every episode, considering the ship may not be able to be in gate-range every time (we really don't know how this is going to work), but this allows for a lot of character based shows. This could be a good or bad thing, but for purposes of this topic, I'll assume the writers can handle this better then BSG.

:-) Thats what I'm excited about.

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
              I don't have any brilliant ideas, but somebody with a Fozzy Bear picture deserves a high five !
              *laugh* Thanks
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

the massive problem i have with Stargate is simple: it allows great ideas and concepts. but most of the time, it doesnt happen. SGU allows for so much much more. question is: do they do it properly? they have a big budget now. all they have to do is use it properly. build a massive ancient godship once. the CGI will cost alot, ok. make some basic scenes. ie, like our 304's. this will save millions over time.

sets. well, make one good, large, spacious set. thats the gateroom. the space can be used to mod it into cantina, sickbay, etc sets [like atlantis]. its a ship, ships use straightforward designs. so sets can be re-used all the time. so after they have invested in the Destiny, they wont have to do it again.

doing such costs saving, will allow for more money in cgi, other sets, etc.

Comment

I want to see ALOT more space fights with Huge ships. I haven't seen nearly enough yet!

The Moment that should NOT have happened!

Comment

the massive problem i have with Stargate is simple: it allows great ideas and concepts. but most of the time, it doesnt happen. SGU allows for so much much more. question is: do they do it properly? they have a big budget now. all they have to do is use it properly. build a massive ancient godship once. the CGI will cost alot, ok. make some basic scenes. ie, like our 304's. this will save millions over time.

sets. well, make one good, large, spacious set. thats the gateroom. the space can be used to mod it into cantina, sickbay, etc sets [like atlantis]. its a ship, ships use straightforward designs. so sets can be re-used all the time. so after they have invested in the Destiny, they wont have to do it again.

doing such costs saving, will allow for more money in cgi, other sets, etc.
                    These are all good ideas that I would hope--after 12 years of television-making--they come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanic_Jack View Post
                      I want to see ALOT more space fights with Huge ships. I haven't seen nearly enough yet!
                      Might I suggest Star Trek or Star Wars then?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

It would be cool if they could gate to the first ship and see the process of "seeding" and gate construction. unless there is a cargo hold of thousands of stargates....which would also be cool.

And there could be computer malfunctions or maybe an AI that thinks their intruders and tries to stop them from interferring. I like when the team faces problems but i don't like when they come up with stupid solutions. ie. when McKay has a bug in his head and right when he is on the brink of death the bug decides to leave. how convienent.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          Like pretty much the rest of the posters at Gateworld, I've been extremely torn as to the whole ship-based thing. On one hand, I think that's completely the problem with the franchise in recent years. The last 3 years or so of SG-1 were really dragged down by a lack of actual gating, and Atlantis has suffered from the same thing right from the get-go. For a show called STARGATE, that really shouldn't be the case, should it? Should not the premise of a show called STARGATE be to use said device to explore new places?

<stuff>

Suppose one of our crew gets left behind on a planet, and has to do their best to chase after the ship via a freshly planted gate network, hoping against all odds to catch up before being left behind in an alien galaxy--permanently.

<other Stuff>
                          s!
                          so have like two story lines that could be a potentially long arc. Me like
                          supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

when McKay has a bug in his head and right when he is on the brink of death the bug decides to leave. how convienent.
                            that was logical. if you are a big parasite in someones head, and there's radiation gonna kill you, wont you roll up to protect yourself?

Comment

that was logical. if you are a big parasite in someones head, and there's radiation gonna kill you, wont you roll up to protect yourself?
                              that part made sense, but the part when it voluntarily left his head....which by the way took it closer to the radiation when it jumped out.

Comment

Working...
                              X