Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So... WHICH bit of SGU is making YOU inclined to hate it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... WHICH bit of SGU is making YOU inclined to hate it?

There are a variety of reasons I'm dubious about SGU.

The core one for me is my worry about the shift in identity of what is Stargate as a show, but I've discussed THAT to death.

Failing that, I think what worries me most about this premise, out of the tangible info we've been given, is the fact that it's on a ship. The idea of them being stuck at the farest regions of the universe could lead to awe inspiring scenes, the actual SGU logo with the nebula is evident of this. There could be some ASTONISHING sights, particularly if we ever see the absolutely edge of the universe. And I don't mind a present day contingient not being able to contact earth again.

But WHY a ship? Why make it ship based? Why space battles? Why can't they just be stranded on another planet out there? It's the ship, at the heart of it, the ship and the ship alone which is at the root my misgivings of SGU.

What about you guys?

Feel free to discuss or contribute your own personal grievences.

(And for the record, this isn't an "Anti" thread)

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Yeah, beyond the whole youth-oriented sex "relationship" based premise of the show, which I also distrust, I'm not liking the ship aspect, either. I think Stargate has probably been heading in this direction for a while, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. However, I suppose if they left them "stranded" on a random planet in a galaxy far, far away folks would just be screaming that it was Atlantis all over again. Hmmm.

It's a shame everyone is so hellbent on it remaining a contemporary show because I think it might be interesting if it was set in some future time shortly after Earth has been destroyed by some powerful new enemy, forcing the SGC (or whatever it is to be called in the future) to the Alpha/Beta/Gamma Site. Of course, then I'm sure folks would be screaming BSG ripoff, so there's probably no real way to win this particular argument. LOL!

Of course, if you want to get technical you could point out that the city of Atlantis is a ship, itself, so technically we already have a ship-based series. It's just a ship that generally stays in one place.

The thing I think will hamstring the show the most- even more than the "young audience" and "ship based" aspects- is that it'll have the same writers as the previous two shows. I think it's vital for the survival of the franchise for Brad to hire fresh new writers to take SGU to heights the old writers could never imagine. But alas, that will never happen and thus the show will be just as immature as it currently sounds.

Comment

From what I have heard thus far about Universe, nothing is making me inclined to hate it. I plan on giving it a fair shot, and hopefully, enjoying it. I refuse to judge it until I've actually seen it.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I have a feeling that the premise and the characters will change before the series hits the air. My grievances are more toward the fans than the actual concept.

First, a younger team is most likely going to be late 20's to mid 30's. Stargate has always tried to maintain some sort of realism. Having "kids" in their late teens or early 20's just wouldn't fit with the franchise. Until the cast is announced, all these posts mocking the decision to relate to a younger audience are just silly.

Second, the ship angle is interesting. I would prefer if there are times Destiny stays in one place for a few episodes, but I think having ship to ship combat fits in with the evolution of the franchise. If the whole series takes place in space, early cancellation is a certainty.

Count me as skeptical, but hopeful.

Comment

The 'younger audience' angle is what is making me hesitant to be excited and skeptical about the stories.

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
            The 'younger audience' angle is what is making me hesitant to be excited and skeptical about the stories.
            Me too.
            Meh...

Comment

I don't like the sound of those mostly young and desperate explorers. For some reason it makes me think of that saying - When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

I think the information which bothers me the most is the crew being unable to control the ship's navigation schedule. I have visions of endless planet of the week stories where we're all supposed to bite our nails in case the star characters don't get back to the ship in time. What we could end up doing is thinking on the lines of "We've never seen him before. He's been given a few lines to let us know he has a gray haired old grandma back on Earth. He's got to be the one who's getting left behind to remind us that the star characters are always in danger if they go down to a planet."
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                There are a variety of reasons I'm dubious about SGU.

The core one for me is my worry about the shift in identity of what is Stargate as a show, but I've discussed THAT to death.

Failing that, I think what worries me most about this premise, out of the tangible info we've been given, is the fact that it's on a ship. The idea of them being stuck at the farest regions of the universe could lead to awe inspiring scenes, the actual SGU logo with the nebula is evident of this. There could be some ASTONISHING sights, particularly if we ever see the absolutely edge of the universe. And I don't mind a present day contingient not being able to contact earth again.

But WHY a ship? Why make it ship based? Why space battles? Why can't they just be stranded on another planet out there? It's the ship, at the heart of it, the ship and the ship alone which is at the root my misgivings of SGU.

What about you guys?

Feel free to discuss or contribute your own personal grievences.

(And for the record, this isn't an "Anti" thread)

If by shifting of identity is that it is going to be more character based then the earth mythology based, thats the only thing I'm worried about. However, I dod believe they can still get some earth mythology in there and I hope they will.

But at the bolded text, one of your major misgivings, I have something for you.

Look at this link if you want good ideas of why this show is going to be good (The Link) and to see that I've posted this before. However, why a ship? Well, the idea of a Stargate is amazing. But humans love to explore. it's partly why we love space shows, because we love to explore. And the Stargate is the best way to explore. However, it's limited because a ship has to bring the gates to the galaxies. So how does one over come that? With this project "Destiny" and the Ninth Cheveron.

So thats the "why a ship". But you seem to think that this ship will give them some advantage. They can't control the ship. Sure, they might control weapons, but if they can't navigate it, thats a huge disadvantage. Second, think of it as a moving SGC. The show will have to use the ship. We might actually have an entire team left behind, and see what happens with them. We might even see them die, or maybe they find a way to Earth or back to the Destiny. That alone is an amazing aspect.

So as you can see, its not really a bad thing that its a ship. It's more of a movable SGC or Atlantis is a better example, because it has shields/cloak/weapons and the SGC doesn't really.

Of course, does it has weapons, or is it cloaked for the most part? That could add some interesting ideas, because then space battles will almost never happen. ;-) Which is a plus for you, I take it.

Originally posted by Morrolan View Post
                I have a feeling that the premise and the characters will change before the series hits the air. My grievances are more toward the fans than the actual concept.

First, a younger team is most likely going to be late 20's to mid 30's. Stargate has always tried to maintain some sort of realism. Having "kids" in their late teens or early 20's just wouldn't fit with the franchise. Until the cast is announced, all these posts mocking the decision to relate to a younger audience are just silly.

Second, the ship angle is interesting. I would prefer if there are times Destiny stays in one place for a few episodes, but I think having ship to ship combat fits in with the evolution of the franchise. If the whole series takes place in space, early cancellation is a certainty.

Count me as skeptical, but hopeful.
                Where do you get that they will have a young cast? Is it this, "We really don't want to be more of the same. It's going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe." -- Gateworld.net

Is that where it comes from? Because when I hear that, I don't think younger cast, I think of a younger audiance. Because it is completely unrealstic that kids who are 20 will go. They wouldn't send a unprepared crew to a place they don't expect them to come. I'm thinking people the age of Shepperd and Mitchel, because both of those lead characters are young. Or look young. And maybe they have been trying to do this, but couldn't because the way the series is set up. So...is there another reason you think its going to be a "young cast"?

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                I don't like the sound of those mostly young and desperate explorers. For some reason it makes me think of that saying - When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

I think the information which bothers me the most is the crew being unable to control the ship's navigation schedule. I have visions of endless planet of the week stories where we're all supposed to bite our nails in case the star characters don't get back to the ship in time. What we could end up doing is thinking on the lines of "We've never seen him before. He's been given a few lines to let us know he has a gray haired old grandma back on Earth. He's got to be the one who's getting left behind to remind us that the star characters are always in danger if they go down to a planet."
                Maybe you should read this post from killman.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                well it would be cool to stop following just one team and one ship. why not have a season which does it different: we start out on the destiny, destiny explores, group's left behind. next eppy focussus on that team. next back on the destiny, things like that
                That would add to the suspense I think. And instead of loosing them, we'll see them come back home. Maybe they will always have a list of gates where they will be, at what time, and it's a race to the next destination. That will be fun. And amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                  From what I have heard thus far about Universe, nothing is making me inclined to hate it. I plan on giving it a fair shot, and hopefully, enjoying it. I refuse to judge it until I've actually seen it.
                  Couldn't agree more. I'm going to wait until I see it before I pass judgement, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
                    If by shifting of identity is that it is going to be more character based then the earth mythology based, thats the only thing I'm worried about. However, I dod believe they can still get some earth mythology in there and I hope they will.

But at the bolded text, one of your major misgivings, I have something for you.

Look at this link if you want good ideas of why this show is going to be good (The Link) and to see that I've posted this before. However, why a ship? Well, the idea of a Stargate is amazing. But humans love to explore. it's partly why we love space shows, because we love to explore. And the Stargate is the best way to explore. However, it's limited because a ship has to bring the gates to the galaxies. So how does one over come that? With this project "Destiny" and the Ninth Cheveron.

So thats the "why a ship". But you seem to think that this ship will give them some advantage. They can't control the ship. Sure, they might control weapons, but if they can't navigate it, thats a huge disadvantage. Second, think of it as a moving SGC. The show will have to use the ship. We might actually have an entire team left behind, and see what happens with them. We might even see them die, or maybe they find a way to Earth or back to the Destiny. That alone is an amazing aspect.

So as you can see, its not really a bad thing that its a ship. It's more of a movable SGC or Atlantis is a better example, because it has shields/cloak/weapons and the SGC doesn't really.

Of course, does it has weapons, or is it cloaked for the most part? That could add some interesting ideas, because then space battles will almost never happen. ;-) Which is a plus for you, I take it.

Where do you get that they will have a young cast? Is it this, "We really don't want to be more of the same. It's going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe." -- Gateworld.net

Is that where it comes from? Because when I hear that, I don't think younger cast, I think of a younger audiance. Because it is completely unrealstic that kids who are 20 will go. They wouldn't send a unprepared crew to a place they don't expect them to come. I'm thinking people the age of Shepperd and Mitchel, because both of those lead characters are young. Or look young. And maybe they have been trying to do this, but couldn't because the way the series is set up. So...is there another reason you think its going to be a "young cast"?

That would add to the suspense I think. And instead of loosing them, we'll see them come back home. Maybe they will always have a list of gates where they will be, at what time, and it's a race to the next destination. That will be fun. And amazing.
                    I see what you're saying, and I had read your (nicely put together) post, but for me it's moving towards the futuristic and frankly I'd rather see an Earth ship out there than An Ancient ship again, I'd just rather it were a squad of marines with nothing more than their surplus kit on their backs.

By identity, check this thread out: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=58053

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I did and think it's a great idea. Is thekillman going to be writing the stories, though?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                        I see what you're saying, and I had read your (nicely put together) post, but for me it's moving towards the futuristic and frankly I'd rather see an Earth ship out there than An Ancient ship again, I'd just rather it were a squad of marines with nothing more than their surplus kit on their backs.

By identity, check this thread out: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=58053
                        I still don't see it. I really don't know, it could be all about space battles, but how boring would that be? I mean, the ship would automatically move itself away from fire, all we have to do is hit the bad guys. I have a feeling the ship is going to be cloaked and have little to no weopans, at least thats how I see it the more I think about the show. But if its the way you see it, yes that would make for a boring show and it won't last one season. But i think your going to give the show a shot, so really it doesn't matter what we think, just what actually happens :-).

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                        I did and think it's a great idea. Is thekillman going to be writing the stories, though?
                        Of course he is! Lol, just kidding. No, but I bet thats in Brad's mind. At least it should be!

Comment

I still don't see it. I really don't know, it could be all about space battles, but how boring would that be? I mean, the ship would automatically move itself away from fire, all we have to do is hit the bad guys. I have a feeling the ship is going to be cloaked and have little to no weopans, at least thats how I see it the more I think about the show. But if its the way you see it, yes that would make for a boring show and it won't last one season. But i think your going to give the show a shot, so really it doesn't matter what we think, just what actually happens :-).

Of course he is! Lol, just kidding. No, but I bet thats in Brad's mind. At least it should be!
                          Oh damn right I'm gonna give it a shot, but it doesn't mean I'm not worried considerably. I just want the show to feel considerably more "present day" than Atlantis did. And I see it looking even more futuristic.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                            Yeah, beyond the whole youth-oriented sex "relationship" based premise of the show, which I also distrust, I'm not liking the ship aspect, either. I think Stargate has probably been heading in this direction for a while, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. However, I suppose if they left them "stranded" on a random planet in a galaxy far, far away folks would just be screaming that it was Atlantis all over again. Hmmm.

It's a shame everyone is so hellbent on it remaining a contemporary show because I think it might be interesting if it was set in some future time shortly after Earth has been destroyed by some powerful new enemy, forcing the SGC (or whatever it is to be called in the future) to the Alpha/Beta/Gamma Site. Of course, then I'm sure folks would be screaming BSG ripoff, so there's probably no real way to win this particular argument. LOL!

Of course, if you want to get technical you could point out that the city of Atlantis is a ship, itself, so technically we already have a ship-based series. It's just a ship that generally stays in one place.

The thing I think will hamstring the show the most- even more than the "young audience" and "ship based" aspects- is that it'll have the same writers as the previous two shows. I think it's vital for the survival of the franchise for Brad to hire fresh new writers to take SGU to heights the old writers could never imagine. But alas, that will never happen and thus the show will be just as immature as it currently sounds.
                            On that subject, since it is an Atlantean ship, it should be noted that the word "ship" shouldn't be taken too literally, It might be a bit like a Ancient City Ship, without the snowflake, obviously.

Comment

Because when I hear that, I don't think younger cast, I think of a younger audiance. Because it is completely unrealstic that kids who are 20 will go. They wouldn't send a unprepared crew to a place they don't expect them to come. I'm thinking people the age of Shepperd and Mitchel, because both of those lead characters are young. Or look young. And maybe they have been trying to do this, but couldn't because the way the series is set up. So...is there another reason you think its going to be a "young cast"?
                              You think kids will watch a show full of old people? Or rather, do you think the Suits believe that kids will watch a show full of old people?

Could they mean people in Sheppard's range of ancient decrepitude? Possibly, but if so then why say they want a "younger feel" when Atlantis should fit the bill? "Younger feel" implies something different than what we've been given in SG-1 and Atlantis. And these are the network Suits we're talking about: they tend to think very literally and in words of one syllable. If a "younger feel" doesn't translate to "younger cast" I'll be surprised.

As for killman's post, gods, I've wanted a wider scope on the SG-verse since hints of Atlantis were first announced. Heck, even before that, back in the dusty days when I still actually watched SG-1 I was thinking it'd be nice to see more of the other teams. Alas, I don't think it's going to happen. TPTB only know how to write one show with one formula and that means a single-team focus. More's the pity...

Comment

Working...
                              X