Clear All

Paley Center for Media New York: SCI FI Channel Premiere: Sanctuary

At the Paley Center for Media New York:

SCI FI Channel Premiere: Sanctuary

Thursday, October 2, 2008
    6:30 pm ET
    Paley Center New York
    In Person

Amanda Tapping, “Dr. Helen Magnus”/Exec. Prod.; Rob Dunne, "Dr. Will Zimmerman"; Damian Kindler, Creator/Exec. Prod.; Sam Egan, Show Runner/Exec. Prod.; Martin Wood, Dir./Exec. Prod.; Moderator: Michael Logan, TV Guide

Journey with the Paley Center as we preview the SCI FI Channel’s new series Sanctuary, starring Amanda Tapping (Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis) as the enigmatic, 157-year-old Dr. Helen Magnus, protector of "abnormals" living secretly among us. (Note to the wise: You might want to keep a watchful eye on whomever you wind up sitting next to.) Adapted from the Internet-only show of the same name, Sanctuary premieres on SCI FI on October 3, but we have it first: Join us for a sneak peek of the pilot, plus an exploration of the show’s cutting-edge “green screen” technology, a trivia contest, and so much more.

Official Site: Sanctuary on SciFi.com

Send us a question you would like asked of our panelists [at the link above].

Ticket sales dates:

Subscription, Members Only:
    September 12, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Subscription, General Public:
    September 16, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Individual Tickets, Members:
    September 19, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Individual Tickets, General Public:
    September 23, 2008 at 12:00 pm

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

anyone else going besides me? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by bikerchic1977 View Post
      anyone else going besides me? :-)
      Nope. Wish I were though. Lucky you!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

i posted this on the other forum, but i'll put the offer out there on here as well..

if anyone wants to come to the premier but the thought of hotel costs to stay overnight are preventing it, i can get my hands on a couple of free rooms about a half hour drive (45 minute bus/train ride if u so choose) away from manhattan.. if anyone wants more info, just shoot me a pm for more details.. i promise, it's not a roach motel.. lol..

Comment

just saw on the new scifi site for sanctuary that amanda will be appearing at the nbc experience store on oct 3 as well.. woohoo!

Comment

Originally posted by bikerchic1977 View Post
            just saw on the new scifi site for sanctuary that amanda will be appearing at the nbc experience store on oct 3 as well.. woohoo!
            piiiiiiiiiiiiiiictuuuuuuuuuuresssssss!!!!

uh, please?

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
              piiiiiiiiiiiiiiictuuuuuuuuuuresssssss!!!!

uh, please?

sally
              considering i took close to 7000 pics during gatecon, i think i can promise at least one or two of them from each of these events..

Comment

tickets for premier: check
                metro card to get there: check
                camera and big ol memory card: check
                the patience to wait another two weeks: don't know where that's going to come from..

Comment

See the premiere October 2nd at 6:30 in NYC. Ticket sale start Sep 23

SCI FI Channel Premiere: Sanctuary
                  Thursday, October 2, 2008
                  6:30 pm ET (no time given, approximately 1.5-2 hours, according to Paley rep)
                  Paley Center New York
                  In Person

Amanda Tapping, “Dr. Helen Magnus”/Exec. Prod.; Robin Dunne, "Dr. Will Zimmerman"; Damian Kindler, Creator/Exec. Prod.; Sam Egan, Show Runner/Exec. Prod.; Martin Wood, Dir./Exec. Prod.; Moderator: Michael Logan, TV Guide

Journey with the Paley Center as we preview the SCI FI Channel’s new series Sanctuary, starring Amanda Tapping (Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis) as the enigmatic, 157-year-old Dr. Helen Magnus, protector of "abnormals" living secretly among us. (Note to the wise: You might want to keep a watchful eye on whomever you wind up sitting next to.) Adapted from the Internet-only show of the same name, Sanctuary premieres on SCI FI on October 3, but we have it first: Join us for a sneak peek of the pilot, plus an exploration of the show’s cutting-edge “green screen” technology, a trivia contest, and so much more.

Official Site: Sanctuary on SciFi.com
                  Individual tickets on sale to Paley Center Members Sept. 19;
                  on sale to General Public Sept. 23

Phone: 212.621.6600, Dial "0" for operator; Mondays to Fridays, 12:00 to 5:00 pm ET. Service charges will apply.

In person: Tickets for all events are available at the front desk, Tues to Sun, 12:00 - 6:00 pm ET; Thurs to 8:00 pm ET.

Ticket Sale Dates
                  Subscription, Members Only:
                  September 12, 2008 at 12:00 pm
                  Subscription, General Public:
                  September 16, 2008 at 12:00 pm
                  Individual Tickets, Members:
                  September 19, 2008 at 12:00 pm
                  Individual Tickets, General Public:
                  September 23, 2008 at 12:00 pm

New Media
                  Sci Fi Channel Premiere: Sanctuary;
                  Individual event: $20

25 West 52 Street, New York, NY 10019

Telephone
                  212.621.6800 for recorded information on scheduled activites; 212.621.6600 for all other information.

Directions

By bus—Southbound on Fifth Avenue, Broadway, and Seventh Avenue; northbound on Madison Avenue and Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue).

By subway—E or V to Fifth Avenue and 53 Street; N, R, or W to 49 Street and Seventh Avenue; 1 to 50 Street and Broadway; B, D, F, or V to 47-50 Street/Rockefeller Center. Click here for map.

Hours
                  Mon. . . . . . . .Closed
                  Tue. . . . . . . .12:00 to 6:00 pm
                  Wed . . . . . . .12:00 to 6:00 pm
                  Thu . . . . . . . 12:00 to 8:00 pm
                  Fri . . . . . . . . 12:00 to 6:00 pm
                  Sat . . . . . . . .12:00 to 6:00 pm
                  Sun. . . . . . . .12:00 to 6:00 pm
                  The Paley Center is closed on these holidays: New Year's Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

Grand Central Station is at 87 E 42nd Street for those mapquesting. It’s one mile.

Comment

Tickets went on sale today for the general public. Ticket prices are very reasonable.

Sci Fi Channel Premiere: Sanctuary

Thursday, October 02 at 6:30PM

at Paley Center for Media
                    25 West 52 Street
                    New York, New York 10019

Prices:

Concourse Theater

MEMBER $15.00

NONMEMBER $20.00

STUDENT $15.00

f you need assistance placing your order, call OvationTix customer service toll-free: 866-811-4111. Do not exit your Web browser.
                    Customer service hours: 9am - 9pm M-F / 10am - 6pm Sat + Sun (Eastern Time)

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                      Tickets went on sale today for the general public.

Only if you wouldn't have to fly to NY to attend.

Comment

Someone has posted on the Sam is a great character thread offering a free ticket.

Comment

since it's after midnight for me.. this is officially happening tomorrow! only one more day until sanctuary's nyc premier.. woohoo!

Comment

Tickets are still available for the Sanctuary premiere TONIGHT at the Paley Center.

http://www.paleycenter.org/ny-fall-s...2008-sanctuary

If you cannot attend, you can still participate by submitting questions on our website for the panel.

http://www.paleycenter.org/ny-fall-s...2008-sanctuary

Photos and maybe a video clip of the event will be posted on paleycenter.org soon after the event.

Comment

(this is the same thing I posted on the SanctuaryFans Forum, in case you've read it there.. )

Ok, so I'm back.. and it was GREAT!!!

First thing to report... The Paley Center does not allow photography at all, so no pics from me, sorry! I'll make up for it tomorrow at the NBC Experience Store, promise!!! They were recording the whole event and there was someone there taking pics so maybe it will be available eventually somewhere, either online or maybe at the center as an exhibit.. idk..

Anyway, it was in a screening room with approx 10 rows of very comfy seats..

The Sanctuary crew were ushered in from the side door and seated in the front row.. Amanda was sort of made to wait until last and received a round of applause from the room when she entered (of course!)

I may be out of order on the introductions and who mentioned what because I can't read my own chicken scratch, so if someone remembers differently, please correct me!!

I think it went something like this...

David Bushman (Curator for the Paley Center) did a quick intro of the center itself and then introduced Dave Howe, President of the Sci Fi channel and gave a quick background on him.. Dave then gave a very quick summary of the show and explained we were getting a 30 minute preview of Sanctuary followed by a Q&A. He then introduced Amanda with a little background on her as well as mentioning her record breaking time on SG1 (Amanda ducked her head modestly in her seat when this was mentioned) who then received another round of applause.. Amanda gave a quick intro of the preview we were about to see and a little explaination, then the lights dimmed and it began. I'm not sure what was released by Sci Fi, cuz I managed to hold off until tonight, so I won't go into too many details and to protect the innocent, I'll use spoilers (if I can get them work)

So in the preview,
                              Spoiler:
                              we join Will as he is looking at the business card and deciding what to do about it then follow him through the introduction to the Sanctuary and ends with the scene of Will and Magnus on the roof of the Sanctuary

The whole show looks so much better from the visual side as well. Anyone who saw the webisodes knows they were great but every once in a while you could tell the backgrounds were computer animations. This is not the case at all with the show now! Stunning is the one word that comes to mind. I was blown away by what they did with it. Y'all will see tomorrow night!

The lights came back up and it was interview/Q&A time hosted by Michael Logan from TV Guide. Michael introduced everyone starting with Martin Wood (Who stepped onto the stage and held up his the seat marker with his name on it and deadpanned, it would have made a great 'mugshot' if I had been allowed pictures.) Next up was Damian Kindler, followed by Robin Dunne (a small scuffle ensued as Damian offered to take Robin's seat marker and Robin replied "No you can't have it! It's mine!") Next up was Sam Egan, followed by Lee Wilson and finally once again, Amanda.

I was told that we could use the camera's in our minds, but not the real ones, so I'll give you a quick run down on attire if you are interested.. lol..

Spoiler:
                              Martin: Black jacket, jeans, striped dress shirt, couldn't see his shoes. Damian: Black jacket, jeans, light blue dress shirt, cool brown suede (I think) boots. Robin: Doh! I just went blank.. I think I was distracted by his eyes.. lol.. I think he had on a Black jacket and shirt but not sure. Amanda: a lovely black knee length dress with an off-side V neckline with the same shoes she had on in the video from Colorado (very cute). Sam: Black jacket, black shirt, don't remember the pants or shoes (the view of him was blocked just a bit by the gentlemen in front of me) and Lee: I think it was a gray jacket (maybe black, it's getting late memory's going) with a blue dress shirt, again couldn't see pants or shoes.. anyway...

Now I don't remember who said it but either Michael from TV Guide or Dave from Sci Fi mentioned that the Associated Press had just named Amanda the Queen of Sci Fi (forgot that earlier, really wish I could read my own writing!)

The panel questions included much of the same we've already seen, i.e.: how did Sanctuary start, why the web, why tv now, etcetera so I'll cover what stood out for me..

One of the first new questions asked by Michael dealt with the origin of Magnus, why the victorian time period. I know we've heard that one before but he also mentions bringing people from that era into the current story like Jack the Ripper and (major spoiler, so major he wasn't supposed to mention it at all.. I don't even know if I should tell you.. but you know I will
                              Spoiler:
                              and Sherlock Holmes

The questions continue and Damian mentions a season cliff hanger so we better get a second season of this one! (No, he doesn't not reveal what it was, sorry.)

They went onto discuss the budget for the orignal web series as well as the show now. One thing I found interesting is Sanctuary budget is anywhere from half to one million dollars less than most other scifi show, like Eureka and Battlestar. In fact, one of the guys joked that their entire episode budget was the same as Battlestar's catering budget.. lol..

In regards to the virtual set, they mentioned the number of shots per week (I believe) to go through, then render the visuals for, etc. On a show like Stargate, it was normally 10 to 15 and if they came close to 20, the vis effects guys would get nervous. On Sanctuary, it has been as many as 485 in one week. Amazing!

It's been mentioned before, but during the audience Q&A they spoke about the first 21 minutes of the show being mostly actual sets and backgrounds, then as Will decides to explore this world he knows nothing about, it changes to mostly virtual backgrounds and it really brings you into the Sanctuary world.

They went onto discuss the RED camera, which for anyone out there wondering only costs about $18000 before lenses and accessories, very reasonable, from what Martin said! They also mention that it is, in fact black, not red, which was sort of a let down when the got them. lol.. They are also looking into the new camera available called the Scarlet which is portable and will allow an
                              Spoiler:
                              episode where we follow someone through a warehouse being chased by an abnormal. possible season two episode?
                              After discussing the resolution (4k btw) Robin joked that "other shows will soon have pixel envy"

I forget if it was Sam or Damian who began the conversation, but they also mentioned they will not delve into the alien world for the time being. They joked that somewhere around season seven or eight, they may have to if they run out of stories, but for the moment the show is based in the 'possible' here and now. No aliens, no beaming technology, they've even ruled out time travel according to the panel (besides the John Druitt kind I'm guessing) everything is based in realistic science with out the convienent solutions we often see in sci fi. Damian concluded that discussion with "As juicy as aliens can be, we decided to stay in the here and now."

One of the audience members asked if they would be willing to answer question from others considering their own web series and what would be the first piece of advice you would them. Everyone readily agreed to answer any questions, as they had made all the mistakes you can. Amanda commented on falling on their faces with the number of errors they encountered and Martin added, falling on our faces without our hands first. Then Damian said the first piece of advice he would give would be to talk to Dave from SciFi. lol..

They also joked that over 4 million people have watched Sanctuary online, and they would have been a success if they could have just figured out how to get 4 million people to PAY for the Sanctuary that they had watched.. lol..

At that time, Micheal mentioned he was getting the signal that time was up and mentioned Sanctuary will air tomorrow and to watch it. Amanda added "Watch it live!" He then thanked the gang for coming, they inturned thanked him and then us.

All in all, I must say, it was a great night! Now to go the NBC Experience Store tomorrow morning then make it to VA tomorrow before 9pm to watch Sanctuary there. I don't know if I'll have decent internet access, so posting the pics from tomorrow may have to wait until Sunday night, but I'll try my best! And I have already planned on leaving my tv on, so I will count as one of the live viewers even if I'm not sitting in front of the screen here at home.....

Comment

Working...
                              X