This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Threads' - Whats the scoop?

I'm afraid I haven't been a StarGate fan too long. I've noticed that 'Threads' has all the makings of what would seem to be a 'final episode'. It certainly concludes a lot of storyline, and could of in fact concluded the entire series if needed to be. So what is the story? Did they originally plan on just making 'Threads' the final episode, and then later decide to add in 'Moebius' after that?

moebius was needed for the zpm.
    Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
    sigpic

Comment

nope the title says it all "threads" all the lose hanging plot threads from the past 8 years that needed to come full circle

season 8 was planned to be the last and then continue with sga
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Moebius was required to give Atlantis a ZPM, allowing them to restablish contact with earth, and was in essence, passing the torch. I don't think it was a last minute decision, I think Moebius was MEANT to go out with a stand alone BANG, bringing the entire show full circle to the movie, but unfortunatly, from what I hear, budget problems made Moebius less than it was meant to be. The twist at the end however makes it a worthwhile conclusion.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

hmmm I never thought of Moebius as "passing the torch" to Atlantis.

Season 8, like season 5, 6 and 7, was supposed to be the last season. But unlike seasons 5, 6 and 7, they wrapped every single major story line anyone actually cared about. I was very surprised to hear of a season 9.

Season 9 was originally intended to be the first season of a new show, "Stargate Command". But for reasons unknown to me they decided to continue SG1.
          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

"Reckoning, Parts 1 & 2" brings the war with the Goa'uld and Replicators to an end. "Threads" resolves the story of Anubis and numerous character arcs. "Moebius, Parts 1 & 2" was intended to be the series finale. One last hurrah for SG-1 and General O'Neill. They get to fly around in a space ship, travel through time, and we get to see alternate timeline counterparts try to fix a *******ized timeline. Further, since it's a time travel story, we get to see a lot of old faces. Among them are Apophis, Kawalsky, Hammond, Davis, McKay, and many more. Yes, McKay's on Atlantis, but we hadn't seen him on SG-1 since the Season 6 premiere, two years prior to these episodes.

One thing I especially like about "Moebius" is that we get to see General O'Neill go out into the field. Prior to this two-parter, O'Neill had only been in the field in Season 8 in "New Order, Part 2" and "It's Good to Be King."

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
              "Reckoning, Parts 1 & 2" brings the war with the Goa'uld and Replicators to an end. "Threads" resolves the story of Anubis and numerous character arcs. "Moebius, Parts 1 & 2" was intended to be the series finale. One last hurrah for SG-1 and General O'Neill. They get to fly around in a space ship, travel through time, and we get to see alternate timeline counterparts try to fix a *******ized timeline. Further, since it's a time travel story, we get to see a lot of old faces. Among them are Apophis, Kawalsky, Hammond, Davis, McKay, and many more. Yes, McKay's on Atlantis, but we hadn't seen him on SG-1 since the Season 6 premiere, two years prior to these episodes.

One thing I especially like about "Moebius" is that we get to see General O'Neill go out into the field. Prior to this two-parter, O'Neill had only been in the field in Season 8 in "New Order, Part 2" and "It's Good to Be King."
              However, if you ask me, it would have been better if SG1 had returned to the present after stealing the ZPM, found a screwed up future, gone BACK in time again, and realised they themselves had to cause the uprising, and the episode focused ENTIRELY on OUR SG1 leading the assault on Ra.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately, you can't have a predestined paradox, largely because SG-1's time travel episodes have always suggested an alterable timeline, not a predestination paradox. The rebellion against Ra would have happened without SG-1. SG-1's presence in the past as part of the rebellion changes the future as they were never ment to be there in the first place.

I do like the idea of SG-1 returning to the future and finding the alternate timeline where the SGC never happened, figure out what they did wrong go back in time, and then make it right. That said, I like that SG-1 was stuck in the past, leading to bizarro SG-1 to go back in time and set things right with the help of original Daniel, leading to a third SG-1 who doesn't have to go back in time thanks to original SG-1's mission. Sadly, the third SG-1 never finds out about bizarro SG-1.

Comment

I prefer to think of 'Threads' as the final episode of 'classic' SG-1. Moebius, frankly, was garbage--and accomplished precious little beyond establishing a plot point for a different and supposedly independent series.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

What's wrong with it being a stand-alone story, aside from giving Atlantis a ZPM?

Comment

Unfortunately, you can't have a predestined paradox, largely because SG-1's time travel episodes have always suggested an alterable timeline, not a predestination paradox. The rebellion against Ra would have happened without SG-1. SG-1's presence in the past as part of the rebellion changes the future as they were never ment to be there in the first place.

I do like the idea of SG-1 returning to the future and finding the alternate timeline where the SGC never happened, figure out what they did wrong go back in time, and then make it right. That said, I like that SG-1 was stuck in the past, leading to bizarro SG-1 to go back in time and set things right with the help of original Daniel, leading to a third SG-1 who doesn't have to go back in time thanks to original SG-1's mission. Sadly, the third SG-1 never finds out about bizarro SG-1.
                      Well then, what if they changed something, as they indeed did, and then had to go back in time and set the course of history straight, so that they did instigate the uprising, and future Sg1 still went back in time, and allowed for them to return home? Arriving triumphantly with a ZPM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

What's wrong with it being a stand-alone story, aside from giving Atlantis a ZPM?
                        I thought it was a crappy episode period--regardless of where it fell in either series' chronology. I would've been satisfied with an 18-episode season had it ended on 'Threads'
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                          However, if you ask me, it would have been better if SG1 had returned to the present after stealing the ZPM, found a screwed up future, gone BACK in time again, and realised they themselves had to cause the uprising, and the episode focused ENTIRELY on OUR SG1 leading the assault on Ra.
                          Cool idea. That would have made me happier. Much happier. And it would have been awesome visually to actually see the rebellion against Ra. But it also could have been potentially expensive to film. And SG-1 had a smaller than normal budget in season 8. So it probably wouldn't have worked.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          I thought it was a crappy episode period--regardless of where it fell in either series' chronology. I would've been satisfied with an 18-episode season had it ended on 'Threads'
                          I have to agree on that. Moebius has some funny moments, but was a bit of a let down for me. When I first saw it, I was glad that it wasn't the end of the series, as they had originally planned. Actually, I wouldn't have been entirely satisfied if Threads had been the series finale, either. But I like Threads as an episode much more than the Moebius two-parter.

In regards to the original question... some people prefer to see Moebius as the end of SG-1 and ignore everything that comes afterwards. That's fine. But I think of it as the end of one era and season 9 is the beginning of a new era. Still, because TPTB didn't know if the series would continue, they wrote those last few episodes so that they could provide closure for everyone if necessary. I think they were tired of writing cliffhangers and then having to wait anxiously to hear if they were renewed or not.
                          Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                          Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

I thought "Threads" would have been an excellent season finale. "Moebius" had its moments with the alternate Carter and Daniel, but to me it was a disappointment, especially taking up two episodes. The premise was bad to begin with: Goa'ulds have just been defeated and Jaffa gained their freedom, Replicators have been destroyed, and Anubis is finally gone. All is peace, and NOW they want to go back in time and risk altering this great present just for one ZPM?

Comment

'Just for one ZPM' that saved Atlantis and ensured the Wraith never found their way to Earth during the Siege.

Comment

Working...
                              X