Grenades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grenades?

every time i watch AoT, it akways bugs me that they don't every throw grenades especially in the begining at Dakara, one well placed grenade could have killed some of those soldiers. Am i wrong?

KEEP IT CLEAN
    Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
    Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

They dont use a lot of things they should use in sg. Grenades, claymores...the list goes on.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
      They dont use a lot of things they should use in sg. Grenades, claymores...the list goes on.
      Well... they used claymores in CotG...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
        Well... they used claymores in CotG...
        They've used them in a couple episodes. But they're really good if you're trying to make a defendable position. And every time they get into the predicament of "we're pinned down", the writers seem to forget that there are things other than bullets.

Best Stargate quote:
        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
        Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
          They've used them in a couple episodes. But they're really good if you're trying to make a defendable position. And every time they get into the predicament of "we're pinned down", the writers seem to forget that there are things other than bullets.
          This is true... How long does it take for a 304 to reach a planet from earth? I'm amazed the on board 302s haven't been used for Close Air Support more often...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
            This is true... How long does it take for a 304 to reach a planet from earth? I'm amazed the on board 302s haven't been used for Close Air Support more often...
            The time varies for how long the Daedalus class ships take to get somewhere based on the episode's need, just like how long the gate stays open varies.

In "Off the Grid" it took 23 hours for the Odyssey to get SG-1 and yet in many other episodes, it takes only a few hours.

And unless it was a plot device, they said that it would take the Prometheus 2 WEEKS to get SG-1 if they were stranded on P3X-584 in "Prototype" which seems like an insanely long time to travel inside the galaxy. Also considering that both the 303 and the 304's had similar speeds.

Vala,

Comment

It's an expense thing. The logistics of an explosion for a production are pretty big; you have to have an explosives guy, fill out the right forms, train your actors and other personnel in how to act around them(even with fake explosives), and on and on. They've always satisfied my Stargate jones with enough good storytelling that I don't think too much of the lack of proper explosives. Or you could think about it like this: the team gets ambushed a lot and has to react to it, which means that they wouldn't have time to set up claymores. And those take more than a minute to set up, believe me. They're more of a defensive and booby-trap kind of thing anyway, and like I said, the team's so much on the move in the episodes that setting them up is completely unrealistic.

C4, on the other hand...
              It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
              --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Originally posted by Opener View Post
                It's an expense thing. The logistics of an explosion for a production are pretty big; you have to have an explosives guy, fill out the right forms, train your actors and other personnel in how to act around them(even with fake explosives), and on and on. They've always satisfied my Stargate jones with enough good storytelling that I don't think too much of the lack of proper explosives. Or you could think about it like this: the team gets ambushed a lot and has to react to it, which means that they wouldn't have time to set up claymores. And those take more than a minute to set up, believe me. They're more of a defensive and booby-trap kind of thing anyway, and like I said, the team's so much on the move in the episodes that setting them up is completely unrealistic.

C4, on the other hand...
                "look at my face, BIGGER!"

KEEP IT CLEAN
                Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
                Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

Eh, for being a military based show the military tactics in the later seasons aren't very sound. It's more like this most of the time...

Carter: Sir! We're pinned down!

Mitchell: I got an idea! Let's shoot them all!

(Teal'c comes in and single-handedly takes out all of the enemies.)

Mitchell: Thanks T, that was too close!

Imho, the earlier seasons did a better job of having more realistic firefights (and they did occasionally use grenades, and if they didn't you could still see a viable reason). The later seasons, however, moved away from the Stargate and firefights in general and started with space combat and space exploration as much as actual firefights (Atlantis especially, but the last couple seasons of SG-1 too).
                  "Yo, Adrian!" -Rocky in Rocky
                  "That'll be the Day" -John Wayne in The Searchers

Comment

Originally posted by unluckynumber11 View Post
                    every time i watch AoT, it akways bugs me that they don't every throw grenades especially in the begining at Dakara, one well placed grenade could have killed some of those soldiers. Am i wrong?
                    the replicators too there isn't much of any kind of explosive use in sg-1 but in alantis they use flashbangs a bit

Comment

I agree. A few grenades would be ideal for the the replicators are charging at you from a hall -- where the replicators are on the ceiling, floor, and walls. And, its a heck of a lot more efficient than killing replicators with P-90 fire.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpentersam/
                      MY ARTWORK -- ALL SIGNATURES BY HERMIIOD

Comment

And, its a heck of a lot more efficient than killing replicators with P-90 fire.
                        Yes, but much less exciting than the team working their way up a hallway firing their P-90s...

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                          Yes, but much less exciting than the team working their way up a hallway firing their P-90s...
                          True. I mean this is a an issue of morale after all!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpentersam/
                          MY ARTWORK -- ALL SIGNATURES BY HERMIIOD

Comment

Maybe they didn't want the Priors to pick up thrown gerndaes and throw them back!

Comment

Working...
                            X