This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate in the cinemas?

What do you guys think about having a SG movie in the cinemas? This would attract a lot of people, and hopfully that would make them want to buy the DVDs or HD versions of the current series and movies .

Putting a movie in the cinemas isn't free, they'd probably lose more money than they'd make.

Comment

Hmmm, that is true.

I've seen some pretty crap movies come out in the cinemas before though (Such as "night watch" which wasn't even in English, and was so bad that no one, by the end of the movie was still in the cinema).

I don't expect that Stargate would be the movie of the year type movie (Although it would be nice!) but I'm sure they'd make money from it.

Like, what's the average budget that a average movie has when it goes to the cinemas?

Comment

The original stargate movie got a budget of fifty-five million dollars. If a Stargate SG-1 movie gets greenlit for the big screen, I'd think a budget that big would be suitable. In the end, though, it depends on how good the writing is.
        Jack: Good morning campers!

The Answer To 1984 Is 1776!

Comment

I really liked Night watch -_-!!

Comment

It depends on the scale of the release.

In NYC, there was a limited theatrical release of the anime feature film, BLEACH. It was booked in one theater, one showing for one day. The response was such that they (distributors or studio) opened a new venue due to the feature being sold out at the original. I saw it at the second theater (City Cinema on 23rd Street; the first venue was at Regal Union Square) and that showing was filled as well. And yes, our dear cosplay fans were evident; those not in the know were very curious about the colorful costumers.

I believe the promoters were pretty sure of advanced sales so they knew they could proceed. If interest/sales flagged, they could have cancelled the event. The theater we saw it in wasn't the main one, so it was relatively easier to fill.

Just sayin', this only served as a boost to the series and the release of the dvd. Fans who followed the series got to discuss it while waiting on line, exchanged costume tips and so forth. A pretty nice experience. I'd sure don BDUs or camos to see a Stargate movie. Hello, MGM/Sci-Fi - third movie??
            MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
            sigpic
            Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by Slyke View Post
              What do you guys think about having a SG movie in the cinemas? This would attract a lot of people, and hopfully that would make them want to buy the DVDs or HD versions of the current series and movies .
              I personally would be against a theater released movie. I was quite disappointed in many of the TNG movies because they had to include too much background stuff because they wanted to appeal to a wider audience that weren't already fans of the series.

I can just imagine how much extra background stuff they would have to explain about the Goa'uld, Jaffa, Asgard or whatever the episode is about that would really make the story drag.

I'm afraid that a movie like that would do poorly and make the studio conclude that the SG-1 is dead and we would get no more stories.

I see the direct to DVD movies as the perfect vehicle to continue the SG story because they can write it specifically for fans without having to make all kinds of creative concessions that would be required in a big budget movie.
              The Characters from Bloom County were located to another world where they could live in Peace and avoid the wrath of Jeanne Kirkpatrick.

Here's a photo of Bill the Cat hanging out by the gate waiting for more partying supplies:

Comment

I would absolutely love a cinema release! I'm a huge cinema fan and would love to be able to have the chance to see the third movie on the big screen. But as people have already mentioned it just wouldn't be practical, financially for the franchise. Unfortunately, the fandom just isn't big enough and with the way things are going generally (money-wise) people would rather fork out £15-20 for a DVD that they can rewatch and keep forever than take an average family of four to the cinema and spend £40-50.

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

If it was released in the cinema it would mean waiting a lot longer for any further films as the revenue turnover would be much slower. The revenue from cinema is minimal, films make their money from DVD sales and merchanising etc, so going straight to DVD means the turnover is much quicker and they will have money for more films sooner.
                  What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Working...
                  X