This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young Vibe... Michael Welch?

Fortunately "Young Vibe" doesn't exactly translate into "Younger cast", but in the event that it did, what would everyone think if Stargate: Universe included Michael Welch reprising his role as young Jack O'Neill? He did a great job impersonating RDA's Jack in Fragile Balance and I for one wouldn't mind seeing him return to see if that version of Jack O'Neill could fit into the Stargate universe.

I think it would be a terrible idea, not least because he looks nothing like the person he's supposed to be a clone of...

Comment

He doesn't have to be identical to RDA's Jack. The Asgard tagged the original Jack's DNA to prevent tampering, which created the anomaly that Dr. Fraiser found, and Thor further manipulated the clones DNA to keep him alive. I'm sure somewhere in there and explination could be made as to why the clone doesn't exactly look like the original.

I don't see how having this character return would be "terrible" because he would be about 22 now, and would have all of Jacks experience, and would also have the Ancient gene. I think that would qualify him for consideration.

Comment

It would be terrible and ruin the show for me before it even starts.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSokar View Post
          It would be terrible and ruin the show for me before it even starts.
          But why?

Comment

I would love to see Michael Welch make a reappearance in the franchise, but I think that they'd have to be very careful in handling his character and appearance on the show, so as not to make it seem overly silly. Also, given that there's been talk about separating SGU a bit from the other series, I don't think it's highly likely that he'd appear, given the amount of explanation his character would require for first-time viewers.
            They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
            Spoiler:
            Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

I would rather pour acid on my eyeballs and drink em with a straw than see that guy again.

Comment

I'm drawing a blank
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

I'm drawing a blank
                  He's talking about Clone!Jack from season seven, episode 'Fragile Balance.' Where the Asgard Loki clones Jack but there was a malfunction and the clone ended up being only about 16 years old.

Originally posted by starfox View Post
                  I would love to see Michael Welch make a reappearance in the franchise, but I think that they'd have to be very careful in handling his character and appearance on the show, so as not to make it seem overly silly. Also, given that there's been talk about separating SGU a bit from the other series, I don't think it's highly likely that he'd appear, given the amount of explanation his character would require for first-time viewers.
                  I agree, especially with the bolded part. As much as I love that episode and found Welch to be pretty darn amazing in the role, I really don't see him coming back as Clone!Jack. However, I would love to see him again in a different role. Stargate has done that tons of times, I think it would be cool to have him back, but as a whole new character.

Comment

Originally posted by MyStargateLife View Post
                    He's talking about Clone!Jack from season seven, episode 'Fragile Balance.' Where the Asgard Loki clones Jack but there was a malfunction and the clone ended up being only about 16 years old.

I agree, especially with the bolded part. As much as I love that episode and found Welch to be pretty darn amazing in the role, I really don't see him coming back as Clone!Jack. However, I would love to see him again in a different role. Stargate has done that tons of times, I think it would be cool to have him back, but as a whole new character.
                    The funny thing is, they'd pretty much have to bring him back as Clone!Jack to justify his presence on an SG team. Michael's about 20-21 and looks it. They'd have to age him up to at least 25 to justify his presence. Unless, of course, he makes a reappearance as an alien or an Ancient, in which case age is much less of a big deal.

spoilers for "200"
                    Spoiler:
                    Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Comment

The funny thing is, they'd pretty much have to bring him back as Clone!Jack to justify his presence on an SG team. Michael's about 20-21 and looks it. They'd have to age him up to at least 25 to justify his presence. Unless, of course, he makes a reappearance as an alien or an Ancient, in which case age is much less of a big deal.
                      I like the idea of him being an alien, maybe make him still have a personality similar to Jack's. That would be awesome, not to mention hilarious

Comment

I don't think it's highly likely that he'd appear, given the amount of explanation his character would require for first-time viewers.
                        I don't know, for example, Captain Jack Harkness had a bit of a complex backstory going from Doctor Who to Torchwood and the show didn't really need to refer to it much. I somehow doubt TPTB have Clone O'Neill in mind, though.

Comment

Originally posted by BubblingOverWithIdeas View Post
                          I don't know, for example, Captain Jack Harkness had a bit of a complex backstory going from Doctor Who to Torchwood and the show didn't really need to refer to it much. I somehow doubt TPTB have Clone O'Neill in mind, though.
                          But it was revealed in Torchwood, and Doctor Who, in bits and pieces, here and there. Both shows revealed aspects of his character.

I would rather see Cassie return.

Comment

Originally posted by MyStargateLife View Post
                            I like the idea of him being an alien, maybe make him still have a personality similar to Jack's. That would be awesome, not to mention hilarious
                            Jack does have the Ancient gene. Perhaps Michael could play an Ancient hologram interface with parts of the ship's database, based on one of Jack's ancestors?

spoilers for "200"
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by BubblingOverWithIdeas View Post
                              But those aspects of Jack's history in Torchwood were deliberately a mystery for first-time viewers (who discovered them along with Gwen) while those of us who knew him from Who knew what the deal was. With Clone Jack, you'd have to give that explanation up front just to explain how the heck a 21 year-old got the security clearance for this mission. They could build up the mystery for drama purposes, but then the reveal would have to be very skillfully done to avoid being a let down for those who already know.

Maybe it could be done, though, if they were trying for a POV character inexperienced in the ways of the Stargate Program. One of the soldiers who's just transferred into the SGC witnesses Clone!Jack delivering a severe dressing down to someone and wonders who the heck this uppity kid is. Later discovers he's a clone and doesn't believe it. Someone who's been at Cheyenne longer just says "Welcome to the SGC." End scene.

spoilers for "200"
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                              X