Stargates, receiving gate lighting up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargates, receiving gate lighting up.

Just sat down to watch 3:19, its just struck me that how does the target gate know to light up.

As they hit each chevron surely there are lots of combinations of possible destinations, do they all light up and go out as more chevrons are entered, as such reducing the number of possible gates until the last chevron is locked and the wormhole activated?

Originally posted by Trig View Post
    Just sat down to watch 3:19, its just struck me that how does the target gate know to light up.

As they hit each chevron surely there are lots of combinations of possible destinations, do they all light up and go out as more chevrons are entered, as such reducing the number of possible gates until the last chevron is locked and the wormhole activated?
    You've caught another error on the part of the #%$@& writers. Yes, if the gate would light up with the first chevron, several hundred would do so then be eliminated as more chevrons were dialed. If that was the case it would have happened in the SGC lots of times and it never did.

An incoming wormhole should light up simultaneously, not one at a time.
    Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

Yeah in a lot of the earlier episodes, the gates seemed to be dialling one chevron at a time when receiving (giving time for armed forces to prepare). Later all of them would light up and activate.

What I always wanted to know was (sorry for the thread hijack) was why we needed a point of origin. Where else are we going to dial from. Its not like I put in my home number at the end when I dial my friend. This doesn't even happen with mobile phones.
      Six chevrons should have only ever been necessary and the DHD dialled from should have added whatever encryption/point of origin itself.
      Afterall we never see someone connect two stargates together while dialling from a third stargate (using a fake/rigged/different point of origin)
      I don't pretend to understand the gate system but this point of origin thing has always bugged me

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
        Yeah in a lot of the earlier episodes, the gates seemed to be dialling one chevron at a time when receiving (giving time for armed forces to prepare). Later all of them would light up and activate.

What I always wanted to know was (sorry for the thread hijack) was why we needed a point of origin. Where else are we going to dial from. Its not like I put in my home number at the end when I dial my friend. This doesn't even happen with mobile phones.
        Six chevrons should have only ever been necessary and the DHD dialled from should have added whatever encryption/point of origin itself.
        Afterall we never see someone connect two stargates together while dialling from a third stargate (using a fake/rigged/different point of origin)
        I don't pretend to understand the gate system but this point of origin thing has always bugged me
        Ok, let me take a stab at this.

Explanation in original movie isn't sound. It's just what the naive humans surmised. It also had different gates with different chevrons. So ignore what you heard there.

Alterans landed in Milky Way after coming from Ori galaxy so gate network began there. Stars in Earth's sky were inspiration for chevrons, but when viewed from other planets the plotting rational wouldn't fit, so it's for aesthetics only, inspired by Earth's sky(probably called Avalon by the Alterra).

DHD address (6 chevrons) tells which gate in galaxy to look for(pre-connect). The destination gate then looks for the point of origin gate. It needs to know where the wormhole is coming from in order to accept it.

Don't think of the wormhole as a waterslide going downhill to the destination...think of it as a suspension bridge that has to be supported on both ends. Both gates have to activate in order for a wormhole to form.

So the point of origin chevron sends the ID of the incoming gate(like a reverse address location) to the destination gate. The two gates link to each other and a wormhole forms. Also, with gate security protocols, point of origins can be blocked out.(Atlantis, only Earth could dial in. All other points of entry would be blocked out)

This pre-connection communication between gates is how correlative updates are passed and how stellar drift updates are spread throughout the network.

So, you can think of the point of origin chevron as a 'hand-shake' protocol between gates required before connection.

Does that help any?

Comment

Actually that is pretty good and technical enough
          But I guess my concern is that the stargate sending the initial request would have its identifier inherently sent. As with the phone example-when you call someone ideally it is two way and its not like you added an personal identifier. The network does everything. Similarly calling with a DHD (dial home device) would mean that it is coming from that gate. Its something the master crystal should really do by itself

Yeah the movie description is pretty full of it and was just an excuse to get a archaeologist (one that we now love) onto the team and add tension/climax as to why they stayed so long after Ra's arrival.

Great point about using this to block out certain gates ala Atlantis.

Comment

Actually with the handshake protocol stuff is it possible to:
            Physically pick up a DHD from Gate 1 and then connect it to a Gate 2. And then dial a Gate 3 causing Gate 1 to activate.

It doesn't really sound the most logical but sounds like the "only" reason we need to manually press the point of origin button.

Edit: Sorry for the double post but I feel that this is kind of needed to be separated from my spiel

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
              Actually that is pretty good and technical enough
              But I guess my concern is that the stargate sending the initial request would have its identifier inherently sent. As with the phone example-when you call someone ideally it is two way and its not like you added an personal identifier. The network does everything. Similarly calling with a DHD (dial home device) would mean that it is coming from that gate. Its something the master crystal should really do by itself

Yeah the movie description is pretty full of it and was just an excuse to get a archaeologist (one that we now love) onto the team and add tension/climax as to why they stayed so long after Ra's arrival.

Great point about using this to block out certain gates ala Atlantis.
              You're forgetting that gates are designed to be able to dial without a DHD. Manual dialing would send the hand-shake with the most recent position updates logged within the gate memory. A DHD is required to make updates and pass them on...which is why SGC's gate(with no DHD) could only dial planets close to Earth that hadn't experienced a lot of stellar drift.

Yes, the gate or the DHD could send the point of origin info automatically if the ancients had wanted to design it that way. However, a point of origin chevron on each DHD is sort of a name for that gate. It's unique to each location.

Also, this hand-shake protocol means that someone can't build their own gate and hack into the system. Only gates with the proper protocols will be accepted by other gates. The Tolin were probably advanced enough to copy the programing of one of the existing gates(taking it's id), and Orlin had all the knowledge of the ancients when he built his mini gate(which was designed to dial one address only).

Comment

Thanks. Actually that is pretty good though I fundamentally read it as "if the ancients wanted to design it that way"

Well the SGC computer tried to mimic a DHD (albeit poorly except for its fundamental purpose) and that is why I really didn't specify between DHDs.
                Props on the examples though.
                In regards to ID names: Plaqarush Taonas (sp) wasn't enough I guess that each planet needs a individulised origin symbol

Comment

Working...
                X