Farscape words in everyday conversations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farscape words in everyday conversations

Does anyone else use Farscape words in everyday conversation?

Better question, what kind of reactions do you get from other people when you use Farscape words?

Personally, I almost never get a reaction. And I find that a bit odd. A friend of mine once laughed when I said "what the frell," but she just thought it sounded funny, she didn't know what it was from. Yesterday I said "frell" in front of an academic adviser at Uni. And she didn't even blink. Maybe everyone just thinks I'm nuts and so they decide not to comment on my weird words?

I'm still waiting for the day when my use of the word triggers a meeting with a fellow 'Scaper. So far, no luck.
    Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
    Hallowed are the Optimi.

Well, I'm Swedish, so the words don't exactly blend in well with my primary language

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
    The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

I've been known to use "frell" quite a bit. Especially at work.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by ./freelancer View Post
        Well, I'm Swedish, so the words don't exactly blend in well with my primary language
        No, I guess they wouldn't. Silly me, for not considering that.

I guess I'm just surprised that, considering how often I say "frell" (or some form thereof), no one has really ever commented on it. But maybe that's because I'm the kind of person who would ask if I heard words I didn't recognize cropping up in normal conversations.
        Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
        Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

I say frell a lot! It is a good swear alternative when you work with children practically 24/7 People never raise their ol' eyebrows at frell though. Dren, yes. Hazmot, always

...But have never run into a Scaper that way...I'm still hoping...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
            Does anyone else use Farscape words in everyday conversation?

Better question, what kind of reactions do you get from other people when you use Farscape words?

Personally, I almost never get a reaction. And I find that a bit odd. A friend of mine once laughed when I said "what the frell," but she just thought it sounded funny, she didn't know what it was from. Yesterday I said "frell" in front of an academic adviser at Uni. And she didn't even blink. Maybe everyone just thinks I'm nuts and so they decide not to comment on my weird words?

I'm still waiting for the day when my use of the word triggers a meeting with a fellow 'Scaper. So far, no luck.
            Actually yes. My sister just lent me her DVD collection and I just started watching Farscape for the first time. I just started using the words without even realizing because my imagination was in Farscape mode and my neighbor overheard me say "where the frell is that book" and thought I was nuts. He stared at me for a minute, then shook his head and walked away. It was the funniest thing to happen to me this week.
            StarshineRoxie
            A woman that allows herself the balance of cool wisdom and strength of heart.
            sigpic

Comment

Saying "frell" at work is how I found out a guy I worked with was into Farscape too. We've actually become pretty good friends since then. He doesn't really keep up with recent news, so he was very excited when I told him about the upcoming comics.
              sigpic
              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I use "frell" all the time now. Although I think "frack" has the edge on use for me (sorry, sorry, different show I know! ).

Hey...it's better then actually swearing in public. And no one ever bats an eyebrow at "frell", although I do get looks for "frack" occasionally...That IS curious now that I think about it.
                "Prepare to meet your DOOM."

"It's not about making money, it's about taking money. Destroying the status quo, because the status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to...rule it."

GADZOOKS

Comment

Originally posted by GateofDOOM View Post
                  And no one ever bats an eyebrow at "frell", although I do get looks for "frack" occasionally...That IS curious now that I think about it.
                  Exactly my point! Why don't people react to it? Maybe because it sounds close enough to several other words? Considering how often I say it, I expected to have to deal with some kind of reaction.

I guess people just don't notice unless you say something really weird. Like, "are you fahrbot?"

Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

i haven't yet. But i was in the local Pound Shop today and saw an extention cord that claimed to be

"3 Metres"

I use "Frag" a lot. Cause it's a Gaming term as well as a Babylon 5 term but I dare say I'll get using the Farscape terms soon enough.

"Say goodbye to your sanity!"

Spoiler:

Mollari: Isn't it ironic? When I first came to Babylon 5 I had all the choices in the world, and no power at all... now I have all the power I could ever want... and no choice... no choice...

Mollari: It was something my father said. I was just a boy... and I heard him, crying in his room. I asked him what was wrong, and he said "My shoes are too tight... but it does not matter... because I have forgotten how to dance..." ...I never understood that until now... now... my shoes are too tight... and I have forgotten how to dance...
                    Vir: I don't understand...
                    Mollari: ...nor should you...

Comment

'Frell' is a regular part of my vocabulary.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                        'Frell' is a regular part of my vocabulary.
                        It is a fine word to use in place of the other f-word.
                        sigpic
                        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

My primary languages are Finnish and Swedish, so I'm in the same boat as ./freelancer... I'd love to have an opportunity to use them.
                          sigpic

Comment

I admit. I "think" frell often, but I don't usually say it out loud. My friends and family have seen just enough Farscape to know what it means and would be shocked that a conservative, articulate little person like me would say such a thing.
                            sigpic

Comment

"Frell" and "Dren" are my words of frustration. *gigglesnort*

Farscapegatter-

Comment

Working...
                              X