PDA

View Full Version : Uniform

Aeyame
September 3rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
I couldn't find a topic about this.

What will their uniforms look like? Cause they're supposed to be caught off guard kinda right? So wouldn't their uniforms be one of the two. And what about the team badges?

Pharaoh Atem
September 3rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
if the show is supposed to appeal to a younger audience

this

Flyboy
September 4th, 2008, 03:40 AM
I'm hoping we go for traditional military uniform.

Darien
September 4th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Same here. I never really liked Atlantis uniforms (well the new black ones were OK). They looked too "treky".

MechaThor
September 4th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Same here. I never really liked Atlantis uniforms (well the new black ones were OK). They looked too "treky".

Well since they are Trapped in another Galaxy, and I bout they brought loads of spare cloths with them. I hope they steal some Uniforms from the enemies and other Aliens in the galaxy (clearly the Humanoid Aliens that is). This could lead to an interesting mix of Uniforms and help give the show a distinct look.

jrd231
September 4th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I'm sure they'll plan for a one way trip, just like the Atlantis expedition and will have uniforms.

Flyboy
September 4th, 2008, 05:02 AM
I'm not even sure WHY the atlantis exped needed specific uniforms.

MechaThor
September 4th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I'm sure they'll plan for a one way trip, just like the Atlantis expedition and will have uniforms.

Well if you was trapped on a spaceship in another Galaxy would you wear the same old boring Uniform everyday or wear the cool new Alien body Armour and cloths you found?

I would wear the Alien kit.

Flyboy
September 4th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Well if you was trapped on a spaceship in another Galaxy would you wear the same old boring Uniform everyday or wear the cool new Alien body Armour and cloths you found?

I would wear the Alien kit.
I'd stick with my Air Force uniform.

ciannwn
September 4th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I hope they steal some Uniforms from the enemies and other Aliens in the galaxy (clearly the Humanoid Aliens that is). This could lead to an interesting mix of Uniforms and help give the show a distinct look.

The Asgard were humanoid. A uniform which would fit an Asgard wouldn't fit an adult human.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanoid

Usually, a fictional humanoid species has the same basic body outline as a human, being bipedal with hands which include fingers and opposable thumbs, but differs in details such as number of digits, coloring, ear form, presence of hair, average height and weight, size of nose, form of skin, "extras" such as horns, plates, claws, tails or multiple appendages, limb structure (such as having digitigrade legs) and taxonomic lineage (being descended from reptiles, fish, rodents, marsupials, or a phylum not evolved on Earth, perhaps, instead of primates). Reptilian humanoids are a common concept.

A uniform designed for an 8 foot tall creature with a tail would need a lot of alteration. If SGU has some imaginative humanoid alien species the Destiny crew could have problems finding something to wear. :)

EvilSokar
September 4th, 2008, 08:47 AM
They used more civilian uniforms for atlantis because it was designed to be a scientific expedition in the first place.

Wether the new uiform will have a military or "civilian" look will depend on who is in charge of the universe team.

jenks
September 4th, 2008, 08:48 AM
If they wanted the civilian look, they should have just not used uniforms at all.

Flyboy
September 4th, 2008, 08:50 AM
If they wanted the civilian look, they should have just not used uniforms at all.
I agree. I mean sure, a lot of civvy institutes have have uniforms as well, but there was no need for something like that. Just seems like a not of uncessecary cost.

EvilSokar
September 4th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I don't know i think uniforms give the show sci-fi flair. It would enrage me seeing McKay in Leather Jacket all the time^^

Flyboy
September 4th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I don't know i think uniforms give the show sci-fi flair. It would enrage me seeing McKay in Leather Jacket all the time^^
Then they should be in coveralls like on the Midway station. Sensible uniform that makes sense. Besides, McKay never wore uniform on Earth.

EvilSokar
September 4th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Well they could distribute colorful uniforms. For instance:
Medical staff wearing white stripes, military staff wearing red stripes, techstaff blue stripes and so on.

Flyboy
September 4th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Well they could distribute colorful uniforms. For instance:
Medical staff wearing white stripes, military staff wearing red stripes, techstaff blue stripes and so on.
Indeed, there was never a need for that kind of thing in SG1. Sure any military medical staff would have insignia denoting their trade, but the civilian staff would just wear whatever. The colour insignia for different trades is remarkably Star Trek.

GhostPoet
September 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Pretty sure it's going to be basic military uniforms. It's not like they planned ahead for being trapped on a ship that travels across the universe automatically and sewed special outfits for it. :)

Flyboy
September 4th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Pretty sure it's going to be basic military uniforms. It's not like they planned ahead for being trapped on a ship that travels across the universe automatically and sewed special outfits for it. :)
Just think, somewhere in America is a man with the highest security clearance a taylor has ever known...

Aeyame
September 4th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Since the trip isn't planned I think they wouldn't have any special uniforms, or spare clothes. The destiny may have might have had a crew at some point because it's supposed to revisiting the various galaxies that the ancients have placed stargates in and see how the civilizations there have developed. If the crew is caught off guard then they will only have the clothes on their back. Considering the Ancients just leave everything where it is then it's likely that the uniforms will be there too. I think it would be totally awesome to have the Ancients uniforms in the show, at least for a little while.

ciannwn
September 4th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Considering the Ancients just leave everything where it is then it's likely that the uniforms will be there too. I think it would be totally awesome to have the Ancients uniforms in the show, at least for a little while.

The Destiny is supposed to be millions of years older than Atlantis and Atlantis left for the Pegasus galaxy several million years ago according the the first scene in 'Rising 1'. Wraith clothing lasting 10,000 years ('The Defiant One' and 'Submersion'.) is pushing credibility to its limits.

Alteran of Atlantis
September 4th, 2008, 01:53 PM

I like the Atlantis uniforms. And I do agree it would be cool to see the Destiny crew in Ancient uniforms.

HunGripen
September 5th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Indeed, there was never a need for that kind of thing in SG1. Sure any military medical staff would have insignia denoting their trade, but the civilian staff would just wear whatever. The colour insignia for different trades is remarkably Star Trek.

People using colour insignia in real life too.

For example fire fighters in some country.

Flyboy
September 5th, 2008, 01:32 PM
To what extent?

Aeyame
September 6th, 2008, 05:52 PM
The Destiny is supposed to be millions of years older than Atlantis and Atlantis left for the Pegasus galaxy several million years ago according the the first scene in 'Rising 1'. Wraith clothing lasting 10,000 years ('The Defiant One' and 'Submersion'.) is pushing credibility to its limits.

What does Wraith clothing have to do with it?

Korean_Turtle87
September 6th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Same here. I never really liked Atlantis uniforms (well the new black ones were OK). They looked too "treky".i know what you mean. As soon as I saw Robert Picardo in the Atlantis suit, I immediateley thought of star trek

lunarleviathan
September 6th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Atlantis having such radically different uniforms never made any sense at all. Bad concept. All they should have had was a different insignia.

Hopefully with SGU we'll get something very close to classic SG-1 olive. Original is always better.

the fifth man
September 6th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Atlantis having such radically different uniforms never made any sense at all. Bad concept. All they should have had was a different insignia.

Hopefully with SGU we'll get something very close to classic SG-1 olive. Original is always better.

In this case, I totally agree with you.

ciannwn
September 7th, 2008, 03:06 AM
What does Wraith clothing have to do with it?

We saw two Wraith whose clothing lasted for 10,000 years. For a lot of viewers this would have been pushing the bounds of credibility - we just have to pretend that they have some super-duper fabrics that don't turn to dust like normal fabrics would after all that time. The Destiny, however, is millions of years older than Atlantis so the idea of Ancient uniforms lasting that long would just be laughable for a lot of viewers. What would the Ancients have made them from? The same materials which they used for constructing Stargates?

Aeyame
September 7th, 2008, 08:35 AM
It could come from the way they store them. Either way I didn't know anyone that cares about the whole wraith clothes thing, and caring that much about such a small detail seems kind of pointless.

tris 99
September 7th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I think standard uniforms form there country of origin, messy yes but cool. And some freaking awesome Ancient body amour, they couldn’t always have been lame

Flyboy
September 7th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I think standard uniforms form there country of origin, messy yes but cool. And some freaking awesome Ancient body amour, they couldn’t always have been lame
The British could show the American troops what camo gear is REALLY meant to look like. ;)

Moao
September 7th, 2008, 06:19 PM

With popped Collars and special pockets for condoms, of course. ;)

Flyboy
September 7th, 2008, 06:20 PM
with popped collars and special pockets for condoms, of course. ;)
rofl

tris 99
September 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM
The British could show the American troops what camo gear is REALLY meant to look like. ;)

And we Australians can hide In shame as our DPCU camo has multi coloured play-boy bunnies on it

Flyboy
September 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
*Is hysterically laughing on his back!*

Brilliant!

ciannwn
September 8th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Either way I didn't know anyone that cares about the whole wraith clothes thing, and caring that much about such a small detail seems kind of pointless.

You'd be surprised how some peoples' minds work. "These Wraith had to be given everlasting clothes because TPTB couldn't have naked humanoids on the show." Depending on how these people regard Wraith they could either be disappointed or very relieved. :D

PS: Having to find stuff to make clothing with would add to the sense of the Destiny crew having to fend for themselves if Earth can't send supplies to them. The other problem with Ancient uniforms being there is that, by sheer coincidence, the Ancient crew would have to take the same clothes sizes as the Destiny crew otherwise nothing would fit properly.

gkyun
September 8th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Depending on the premise of Universe, if the team is expedition-size like that of Altantis, chances are there'll be a specially designed uniform. If it's just a squad-based team made up of a handful few, then good old fashion BDU's. :)

Aeyame
September 8th, 2008, 01:09 PM
My idea for ancient uniforms was really just a quick speculation. Either way would be cool, I just think that it would be interesting to see it. I would hope that they don't have their own special uniforms becuase from what I understand they aren't expecting to take off on a space adventure of any kind. The whole being cut off and having to totally fend for themselves from the beginning is very appealing to me, and the surprise too from suddenly taking off.