Threats to the four races.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Threats to the four races.

When the four races formed their alliance did they have any threats?

I was thinking about the ships that they used, while they were in the Milky Way, and it occurred to me that non of them were bulilt specifically for battle.

The Asgard only built the O'Neils after they encountered the Replicators. Their original motherships didn't perform a major military role. The technology they posessed was so superior to that of the goa'uld they would never of been in a major engagement.

The only ship that we've seen the Ancients use in the Milky Way is Atlantis. It would of been and was usless in a war. It was too easy to find by the enemy, and then it could be pinned down on the planet on which it rested.

We've only seen the Nox use their city ship and there is no reason to see it would be anymore effective than Atlantis.

We've never seen a Furling ship, but if there had been many of them surely one would have survived.

The only reason that I can think that there was this lack of military hardware is that there was no one to fight against.

How could this be though?

Did threats not exist back then? No old ancient bad races, equivalent to the Goa'uld or Aschen? (The Ori were far away.)

Maybe they eliminated all threats or competing races? They then decided to turn to peace and prevent races making their mistakes.

Maybe the four races only came to be though as they were all involved in a war with a fifth race that wasn't peaceful. A race that is now either extinct or has just decided to do what the Ancients did in their galaxy and get the hell out of dodge.

I always thought of the Great Alliance as more of a sharing of knowledge and culture, and the expansion of this through the galaxy, rather then a military alliance. There has never been a mention of them fighting anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
      I always thought of the Great Alliance as more of a sharing of knowledge and culture, and the expansion of this through the galaxy, rather then a military alliance. There has never been a mention of them fighting anybody.
      Maybe that's what they wanted us to think

Did they need to create an alliance so to guide the lower races or was there another purpose?

Comment

I think the alliance purely to advance culture and science, but wouldn't it be a great story if we found out before the Nox were so peaceful they were an aggressive war like race that turn to the good side by the guidance of the other races. I mean maybe this is my ignorance but I doubt any race could survive without at one stage being willing to fight to at least defend themselves.
        General Hammond "I thought the arm bands were meant to make them stronger, not stupid"

Comment

Originally posted by clwaurie View Post
          I think the alliance purely to advance culture and science, but wouldn't it be a great story if we found out before the Nox were so peaceful they were an aggressive war like race that turn to the good side by the guidance of the other races. I mean maybe this is my ignorance but I doubt any race could survive without at one stage being willing to fight to at least defend themselves.
          That makes perfect sense.

maybe the now gone race provided some of the naquadah technology that the technology of the goa'uld is based upon.

Comment

I always thought of the alliance as a neighborhood barque, since they were new they wanted to know all the great races that lived in thier new galaxy and the surrounding galaxies.

Comment

Originally posted by clwaurie View Post
              I mean maybe this is my ignorance but I doubt any race could survive without at one stage being willing to fight to at least defend themselves.
              If they had the cloaking ability from pretty much the start, then its not only possible, but likely, that they never used violence. after all, some animals, like chameleons, hide from their enemies instead of fighting them.

As for the topic, i agree that the asgard seem to not have warships before the O'Neill, but i suppose they could have had some a few hundred or thousand years ago and scrapped them later.
              The ancients seeem to have had some warships, but lets be honest, they were so far ahead of anyone else, mostly they didnt need to have warships.
              And the furlings, we dont realy know anything about them. They certainly were advanced enough to have ships, but its a big galaxy, even if there are some left (although i hope only the ancients were sloppy enough to leave uber tech lieng around for anybody, like, say, the gould, to find) it would be near impossible to find them.

I agree that the alliance was a cultural and scientific one, and while the story of some enemy of the alliance, would be cool, it seems the alliance didnt last very long to have encountered such an enemy.

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

[QUOTE=Character;8873276]If they had the cloaking ability from pretty much the start, then its not only possible, but likely, that they never used violence.

If they were used to hiding, why join the alliance?

Easy enough not to get involved.

Comment

Based on the timeline of the Asgard, we can surmise the the Alliance occurred after the Lanteans returned to the Milky Way, so it is quite possible that they never made ships again, and jsut used the stargates to get around. Asgard likely needed ships to get to the Milky Way. Could have been threats (Haaken?), the beginnings of the Goauld. Milky way is a big place though. Probably more out there that we don't know about.

At least they didn't have to deal with those damn Jaffa
                  sigpic

Comment

Read Genesis guys.
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    Stargate : Genesis |
                    Original Starship DesignThread
                    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                    11000! green me

Comment

Perhaps all 4 of them were at war with each other (over resources, territory, misunderstandings, customs, etc), fought for a while, realised that they would eventually annihilate eachother and formed a truce, which eventually progressed into an alliance. Then they went under a period of disarmament, seeing as any threat had been neutralised, and building weapons and warships would be futile and a waste of time and resources.

Comment

when the ancients came back from the pegasus galaxy the goauld was already taking people from earth so im guessing they were too weak or not enough to fight back since dealing with the wraith for so long so rather they set up an alliance on their travels they met the asgard possibly in their true form otherwise i would think the ancients would of help in their cloning problem since they are quite experts in the field of biology and creating life, maybe they found the nox as a impressive race and shared technology with them thus giving them the idea of the nox floating city furling - who knows
                        sigpic

Comment

Their only theats was primitive races like Goa'uld,Tollans,Aschen.... Being part of Four Great Race is an idea. it isn't a advanced weapon.

When they build this alliance, they have four of most advanced civilizations on universe. Technological development can't mean this civilizations advanced.

Example, USA,Russia,EU... They are advanced about technology. But they aren't advanced civilizations, if we compare them with those 4 races.

Those four races always protect unadvanced civilizations against threats. And they have never did a war against them, or they have never made them a colony for themselves, or they have never sold (or gave) weapons to them.. Although them, they have always helped to other and protect them. They shared their technology with them like "stargate"

Their alliance based on their civilizations levels. so, their only threats were primitive races like today's countries on earth.

Comment

Originally posted by velmate View Post
                            Their only theats was primitive races like Goa'uld,Tollans,Aschen.... Being part of Four Great Race is an idea. it isn't a advanced weapon.

When they build this alliance, they have four of most advanced civilizations on universe. Technological development can't mean this civilizations advanced.

Example, USA,Russia,EU... They are advanced about technology. But they aren't advanced civilizations, if we compare them with those 4 races.

Those four races always protect unadvanced civilizations against threats. And they have never did a war against them, or they have never made them a colony for themselves, or they have never sold (or gave) weapons to them.. Although them, they have always helped to other and protect them. They shared their technology with them like "stargate"

Their alliance based on their civilizations levels. so, their only threats were primitive races like today's countries on earth.
                            We don't know that there weren't threats to the four great races. We just assume it as we've not seen any yet.

The idea that the alliance of four great races existed to help with the development of worlds works, but did they all have worlds they were looking after and the alliance was created to help create a galactic policy on the nurturing of races.

Comment

Working...
                            X