PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to write a Stargate movie

stevearm07
September 1st, 2008, 02:26 PM
I'm fed up with the SG-1 franchise, can't stand watching it any more, hoping it'll go back to being good. Just seen Continuum for the first time. FFS. I can't believe it but it's actually WORSE than Ark of Truth (IMO).

What is it with these braindead producers? Do they honestly think that long, drawn out walks along massive landscapes constitutes anything particularly good, clever or original? No. Boring.

Daniel saying "Oh ****" out of the blue. What was the point, how immature can these writers be?

What's with the mindless and needless gore? Did they really have to chop off the top of Apophis' head? Did they really have to shoot Ba'al in the top of the head? Did they really have to slice Ba'al in half and have him fall into a pool of blood? Again, how immature can these writers be??

O'Neill was once again, the walking joke he was in seasons 7 to 10. Where every word out of his mouth is a sarcastic, piss take, except it seems to be getting more and more annoying the more he's in the show.

I'm fed up of 'explain to these people what SG-1 is, what the Stargate is, who the Goa'uld are. Enough already. How SLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW were those scenes half way through the film? On the boat, on the ice, took forever just to get a few sentences out.

The entire middle 30 minutes or so. BOOOOOORRRRRRINNNNNGGG... Seriously, at NO time during 10 years was an episode EVER as boring and dull as the middle third of Continuum.

Added to the pointless "kewl" armada of ships that served no purpose but to give the writers wank fantasies... - the ridiculously gay tank top that Ba'al had to wear on his ship... are we REALLY supposed to take this dull waste of space seriously? I miss the likes of Apophis, Anubis, Heru'ur etc...

Ending on the photo of Mitchell and his grandad. Cliche #4353.

The time travel chamber was cool, but the endless shooting was exactly the same as what we've been watching for years. The slow-motion main characters getting shot... again, rehashed, old, tired, stupid.

Daniel telling off the president: the perfect way of making Daniel even more annoying than he was in the last 3 years.

Awful. Pure garbage. When will they let this once outstanding franchise DIE already.

Flyboy
September 1st, 2008, 02:29 PM
I respectfully disagree with practically everything you said.

PG15
September 1st, 2008, 02:53 PM
What is it with these braindead producers? Do they honestly think that long, drawn out walks along massive landscapes constitutes anything particularly good, clever or original? No. Boring.

I disagree. That was one of my favorite scenes in the movie. The music was incredible and complimented well with the beautiful vista of the mountains.

Frankly, it was a brilliant visual sequence.

Daniel saying "Oh ****" out of the blue. What was the point, how immature can these writers be?

The point is that he was going to freeze to death very, very soon. You've never swore before? I find that hard to believe. ;)

What's with the mindless and needless gore? Did they really have to chop off the top of Apophis' head? Did they really have to shoot Ba'al in the top of the head? Did they really have to slice Ba'al in half and have him fall into a pool of blood? Again, how immature can these writers be??

I don't see how excessive gore has anything to do with immaturity.

Though I didn't much like it. Not a fan of gore, myself.

O'Neill was once again, the walking joke he was in seasons 7 to 10. Where every word out of his mouth is a sarcastic, piss take, except it seems to be getting more and more annoying the more he's in the show.

I thought Alt!O'Neill was pretty old school.

Daniel telling off the president: the perfect way of making Daniel even more annoying than he was in the last 3 years.

Well, you are the authority on annoyance, so I guess I can't argue.

Awful. Pure garbage. When will they let this once outstanding franchise DIE already.

When fans stop watching. But oh look, it ain't happening any time soon, it looks like. :p

So anyways...how about you tell us HOW to write a Stargate movie instead of just *****ing ad nauseum?

P-90_177
September 1st, 2008, 02:58 PM
I'm fed up with the SG-1 franchise, can't stand watching it any more, hoping it'll go back to being good. Just seen Continuum for the first time. FFS. I can't believe it but it's actually WORSE than Ark of Truth (IMO).

I'm fed up of 'explain to these people what SG-1 is, what the Stargate is, who the Goa'uld are. Enough already. How SLOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW were those scenes half way through the film? On the boat, on the ice, took forever just to get a few sentences out.

The entire middle 30 minutes or so. BOOOOOORRRRRRINNNNNGGG... Seriously, at NO time during 10 years was an episode EVER as boring and dull as the middle third of Continuum.

Added to the pointless "kewl" armada of ships that served no purpose but to give the writers wank fantasies... - the ridiculously gay tank top that Ba'al had to wear on his ship... are we REALLY supposed to take this dull waste of space seriously? I miss the likes of Apophis, Anubis, Heru'ur etc...

The time travel chamber was cool, but the endless shooting was exactly the same as what we've been watching for years. The slow-motion main characters getting shot... again, rehashed, old, tired, stupid.

..........Nope.

Zalenka
September 1st, 2008, 03:11 PM
I also have to say i disagree. Continuum had tension and character development. It also had a decent story, something I admit I can't say for AOT.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
September 1st, 2008, 03:12 PM
AoT was great

They wanna make it look like a movie.... so for some reason this means long walks. Besides, how often do you get to shoot in the artic

Not sure immature is right word.... realistic is.
If I found myself stuck in the Arctic with a frozen leg I'd be seriously worried about my impending death and use the S and F words repeatedly

That was so COOL! I hate it when programs turn the camera to somebody going "eugh". I'm very glad they actually showed it. And it's not like it slows the plot down like random sex scenes do.

Ok, you may have point here. Our Jack was just a joker but the AU Jack was classic Jack through and through.

It's supposed to be accessible to new viewers

That's because Continuum doesn't have to finish in 45 minutes so it isn't as fast paced, which imo is a good thing

Bout time we saw what it looked like if all the Goa'uld decided to team up and kick the crap out of us (not just 2 motherships, or a one lousy fleet, but all of them... well nearly all)

OMG You hate the Asgard!

Naonak
September 1st, 2008, 03:20 PM
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5136/itstinksuq0.jpg

(Simpsons fans/obsessives should get it...)

jelgate
September 1st, 2008, 05:16 PM
^And what do you plan to do with Jay:P

LordAnubis82
September 1st, 2008, 05:26 PM
sorry stevearm07 put i'll have to disagree with everything u said. Ark of Truth and Continuum are both GREAT SG-1 movies. saw both 5 times now. both were well written and had u at the edge of your seat. of course in AoT it would've be cool if the Odyssey fought back with their new Asgard weapons. that's the one thing i wish they did. hopefully they'll do that in future SG-1/SGA movies.

Insipid
September 1st, 2008, 05:38 PM

And I respectfully agree with your disagreement.

Aricosaur
September 1st, 2008, 05:43 PM
I like both AoT and Continuum. Great stories, nice action, good entertainment. I even like the Repicator part of AoT. More Stargate goodness in my book.

On this point, I agree with you. I didn't mind shooting Ba'al in the head but I thought both uses of his sword were in bad taste.

Actually there was a more boring episode, Unending! The only good thing about Unending is that it finally did, in fact, end.

I haven't found Daniel annoying in the last 3 years.

When will they let this once outstanding franchise DIE already.

Why do you care? If you don't like it, stop watching. I like what they are doing so I shall continue to watch. :cameron:

ferrari20092
September 1st, 2008, 05:59 PM
You sir are a terrible judge of movies. I've seen both movies several times. (several is an understatement) and I think it shows HOW to make a good movie. While I did find AoT a little rushed a hurried I still enjoyed it, and Continuum was a fantastic SG1 movie. If you don't like it then stop watching easy as that but whether you like it or not both movies were very well written and made.

StargateHERO
September 1st, 2008, 06:11 PM
You sir are a terrible judge of movies. I've seen both movies several times. (several is an understatement) and I think it shows HOW to make a good movie. While I did find AoT a little rushed a hurried I still enjoyed it, and Continuum was a fantastic SG1 movie. If you don't like it then stop watching easy as that but whether you like it or not both movies were very well written and made.

i agree with you. i loved both AoT and Continuum. I thought that they were great movies, and i can't wait to see what they do with SG-1 next!!

(by the way, i love your siggie ferrari20092. season 10 was my favorite season!)

IcarusAbides
September 1st, 2008, 06:15 PM

And you call yourself a fan, i thoroughly enjoyed the films

Matthew486DX
September 1st, 2008, 07:01 PM

I second this motion.

Browncoat1984
September 1st, 2008, 07:11 PM
I second this motion.

I third it.

I enjoyed both AoT and Continuum. Yes there were certain aspects of both movies I wish had been done differently, but then I've seen very few movies/shows that I haven't felt this way.

To the OP, I'm sorry you didn't like it...since you feel so passionately against it, how about you write your own Stargate SG-1 movie script and post it here on the forums for us to judge?

rarocks24
September 1st, 2008, 07:34 PM

In your opinion.

It works for me. And it worked for the millions upon millions that saw the Lord of the Rings.

Oh ****.

So basically shooting someone in the head is considered gory? What are we supposed to do? Shower Baal and Apophis with hugs and kisses?

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh15/supporter555/picard-facepalm.jpg

To attract new viewers and add to the reality of being stuck in an alternate timeline.

That episode where they switched bodies? Yeah... that was pretty boring to me.

Heru'ur was poorly written and the acting lackluster. Apophis became the Kenny of Stargate, so no thanks, and Anubis was, is, someone I'm glad is gone. Not because I didn't like him as a bad guy, I just think the plotline is done.

I've seen several time travel things, and never have I seen a photo with someone with their grandfather. So I fail to see how it's cliche.

God forbid they can't use special effects to add to the dramatic impact of the event in which almost all hope is lost, to be surprised with a success.

Again, in your opinion.

I for one rather enjoyed Continuum. I'm sorry you didn't. But instead of a helpful critique, you posted a QQ.

angsty_otaku
September 1st, 2008, 07:49 PM
While I wasn't captivated by the movie, I didn't think it was as awful as you said it was.

BTW, AU Jack was very very badass.

Korumera
September 1st, 2008, 11:15 PM
Well i'm not going to reply on all the stuff you said. But I dis agree with all of it. I really liked the film and watched it a few times and time after time I really enjoyed it. But it's your opinion about not enjoying the film but this looks more like a rant ;).

Perhaps the next film will be more to your liking :)

user74362
September 2nd, 2008, 12:28 AM
I have only one thing to say, OK, 2 things.

1. They were great movies, although, not what I was expecting.

2. If you dont like them, dont watch them.

I thought of a number 3;

3. Stop whining to us about it!

:mckay:

John

jenks
September 2nd, 2008, 12:41 AM
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/4514/donotfeedtrollsg4.jpg

bob7621
September 2nd, 2008, 01:44 AM

I agree 100%

The movies had nothing new or exciting to add to the stargate universe and was disappointed myself

The ark of truth:
1st Adria was brought down to easily
2nd Bringing back the Replicators again

Continuum:
Most of the story is like MOEBIUS in season 8

Please bring out something new and FRESH!!

thekillman
September 2nd, 2008, 04:54 AM
How NOT to write a Stargate movie

ok your first post is just a complaint. so when do you start explaining how you shouldnt write a movie?

pjt
September 2nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
I'm fed up with the SG-1 franchise, can't stand watching it any more, hoping it'll go back to being good.

<rant snippity doodah>

Okay... I see your point. Well, the only chance to make them stop making new movies is to pay them not to. Actually, seeing all this pain and misery of yours, you should really consider starting to pile some dough, otherwise I foresee long ages of unbearable pain and suffering.

Offworlder
September 2nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
I will admit, AOT wasn't very good. But I loved Continuum. It was a lot darker, and more realistic than mainstream SG-1, and that was the reason for.. 1. The gore. If you cut someone's head off or cut them in half you'd expect a lot of blood. 2. Daniel's swearing, same point here. You'd probably swear if your foot fell into a pool of god-only-knows how cold water.

JPS
September 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
I agree with Stevearm07. I was bored silly through both movies. Though I thought Continuum was better, it certainly wasn't the kick ass, beat all to end all, wonderful, fantastic, best Stargate ever that everyone was spouting for months ahead of time. At least a half hour could easily have been trimmed without losing any continuity. As my sister said, it certainly wasn't worth $17.99 and I feel bad for anyone who paid more.

For those who liked them, to coin a "Rodneyism", good for you, I guess my sister and I hold "the franchise" to a higher standard, then again, they abandoned us long time fans to go in search of a different demographic so I guess they could care less what we think. We only gave them a People's Choice last year.

Truthfully, I've been disappointed with the last 3 SG1 endeavors TPTB have graced us with ... I haven't talked to anyone yet who like Unending ...in fact, I had to think a minute to come up with the name as weve been calling it by a new one we felt was better suited .... Unfulfilling.

P.S. We plan on boycotting Universe as well ... apparently, it's not written with the 25-50 group in mind anyway so ...

Frontastic
September 2nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
^First of all, I liked Unending, as a stand alone episode, as the final episode in one the greatest sci-fi series ever...your title seems a bit more fitting.

I didn't hate Aot and Continuum, I really enjoyed both of them. But I think the main problem with them is the hype. Both movies were over-hyped to the point where I actually considered cancelling my AoT pre-order after it was on TV. It just seemed like such a massive disappointment. I'm glad I didn't though, on a second viewing I liked it a lot better. Same with Continuum. When they make the next movie I'm going to try and avoid reading anything bar a basic premise of the movie and see if I really enjoy it. So far its working with SGA S5.

Aricosaur
September 2nd, 2008, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the that. I'm fairly new to forums (joined my first one a little over six months ago) and I did'nt know about trolls. Maybe when you post that in the future you could include a link to the wiki entry on trolls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)), or whatever is your favorite definition. I had to check the properties of the image and search google to find out what it means. :zelenka25:

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
September 2nd, 2008, 02:36 PM

With all due respect, he wasn't trolling. He was simply expressing an unpopular opinion.

rarocks24
September 2nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
With all due respect, he wasn't trolling. He was simply expressing an unpopular opinion.

His post was designed for the sole intent to piss someone off. That's trolling. He also hasn't returned to the thread.

Naonak
September 2nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
For those who liked them, to coin a "Rodneyism", good for you, I guess my sister and I hold "the franchise" to a higher standard, then again, they abandoned us long time fans to go in search of a different demographic so I guess they could care less what we think. We only gave them a People's Choice last year.
Oh, don't start with the "higher standards" thing... :rolleyes:

jenks
September 3rd, 2008, 01:58 AM
His post was designed for the sole intent to piss someone off. That's trolling. He also hasn't returned to the thread.

Posting this in the general discussion thread for Continuum would be expressing an opinion, creating a whole new thread in a Stargate forum to draw attention to yourself and your little rant about how terrible everything is is trolling. It's just a poor attempt to stir up some ****, not a genuine attempt to start a discussion on the subject.

dec55
September 7th, 2008, 11:31 AM

It's seems Stargate has become more Lost in Space like, than Tom Clancy in space. :lol It would be great for the writers to go back to the basics.More Earthbased character drama and real use of military tactics to defeat alien technology. Less camp would really make it cooler.

Not so much darkness like BSG....but gritty like Black Hawk down..and have the fun of Indepenence Day.

bar
September 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I have to agree with most of the statements made in post one.
Many of the story elements were contrived, and i have seen the "alternate timeline" gag used in other Stargate episodes to better effect. And this is the second time SG has been killed off and replaced with alternates... We are so far away from "our" SG-1, they are not the smae people anymore!
I was thoroughly unhappy the first time i saw Continuum.
I had expected it to be a good bit better than it was. Perhaps it was "Episode I" levels of expectation that made me assume that the movie that followed hot on the heels of AoT would be a barnstormer.
I think they could have done much better.
Maybe the Atlantis movie will be better.
Bar.

thekillman
September 10th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I haven't talked to anyone yet who like Unending ...in fact, I had to think a minute to come up with the name as weve been calling it by a new one we felt was better suited .... Unfulfilling.

i liked it. i loved it. the thor scene made me cry. only one in like, 100 eppisodes does that.

but isnt this thread named

"How NOT to write a Stargate movie "

not

"Stargate Movie Discussion Thread "

bar
September 10th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I also liked Unending.
One of my all time favorite episodes.
But i am a sucker for any episode with a Daedalus class vessel in it (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Daedalus/Odyssey3.jpg).
Bar.

supersoldier34
September 10th, 2008, 08:48 PM

ok what does FFS stand for.
you don't have to watch it anymore if you don't like it

It may not be original but it is better than them magically getting to their destination, it adds to the tension plus they were not that long of segments. (i'm guessing you don't like LOTR)

that was a natural human reaction to realizing that you are going to die a long drawn out death with 0% chance of survival or rescue. I might do the same in a similar situation

No they did not have to chop off Apophis' head but it brought us back to the Ba'al and Goa'ould of the early days and how utterly evil they are. The head chop off could have been a lot gorier.
Again his slicing was not verry gory nor was a close-up. He also did not fall into a "Pool of Blood"

I disagree that O'Neill gets more annoying as he goes along

what would you like to happen there. To me it seemed a necessary part to the plot and constancy of the movie

It would have been boring if that was an episode but its not an episode its a movie you can't have it all fast paced action the entire movie. I like those scenes of them going about their days. How would the movie go if all the "slow" parts were removed. It would make no sense whatsoever.

The armada did serve a purpose to bombard the planet if necessary. It was quite impressive and showed the might that Ba'al had gained from his changes. and Anubis never had that "kewl" armada either :rolleyes:. As for apophis and Heru'ur they had thier one line in the movie and served their purpose for the movie.
[

[Quote]
in all the time travel episodes/ films that i have watched i have honestly never seen that before. Hardly Cliche
[QUOTE=stevearm07;8864622]

it wasn't endless shooting it was a 5 minute scene. The slow motion was for dramatic effect. I also didn't see any of that mindless gore in the shootout.

i hardly call that annoying nor do i think that Daniel is annoying.

was their any part that you do like??? what kind of movies do you like.
I feel sorry that you can't enjoy it for what it was.

PG15
September 10th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I loved Unending as well.

Devid
September 17th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I can wait for the next Movie.All the Movies were great..................................
I don,t like pro-Keller and Pro-Beckett Both

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
September 21st, 2008, 06:13 AM
well I loved seasons 9 and 10 and I didnt like Ark Of truth. For me it was a huge dissapointment for me and I felt I wasted money on buying it - it felt like 2 hours of total cheese and cliches - a poorly rushed ending to the Ori plotline which really renewed my interest in SG1. I personally felt It was as shockingly contrived and unwatchable as the stuff the BBC have put out since 2005. IMO of course.

I liked Continuum somewhat though, it was much better, allthough could of been slightly better in some aspects like battle scenes and such. I still gave my copy to a Charity Shop though.

I do agree, the OP didnt phrase things very well though. And terms like "immature" were used incorrectly IMO. The gore was actually quite tame, it wasnt exactly Carpenters The Thing - but it was quite realistic, and I give props for that. That said, I have the choice to not watch either again so I wont.

I'm happy other people managed to feel differently to me and find them enjoyable as well.

kymeric
September 27th, 2008, 09:12 AM
It must suck to know that everyone disagrees with you. I mean look at the millions upon millions of people that bought the movies and loved them (escalating sales = good word of mouth).

Its like i told my friend who was politically self righteous, half the country thinks youre wrong XD