This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Contact

The crew of the Destiny are inevitably going to meet intelligent aliens. They may take the form of gas clouds, bugs, or have the appearance of humans (groan).

I'd be interested in hearing any and all speculation on not just potential aliens (I think that's been started somewhere else) but what a first contact situation might be like. This assumes the crew of Destiny is around long enough to actually make friends on any particular planet, let alone a galaxy. These situations would be affected by the species, their biology, their culture, tech level and a number of other factors.

As an example: they meet a species who have a Rite of Friendship. This rite involves the exchange of a member of their society with one from their new friends. This parallels a similar custom found in various places on Earth. However, this exchanged individual is then eaten by the other group.

Why? Perhaps it is their way of saying, "You're part of our nest." Maybe it is how they exchange mass amounts of info (or language) between different groups by eating the other guys' brains. Perhaps the inclusion of bio-matter from someone external to their group has a function in their reproductive cycle.

How do you shake hands when the other guy assumes your hand is an hors d'oeuvre?

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

EVIL NAZI CYBORG CARE BEARS!!!!!

Comment

You had me, righ tup to the "cyborg" part.

regards,
      G.
      Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
        The crew of the Destiny are inevitably going to meet intelligent aliens. They may take the form of gas clouds, bugs, or have the appearance of humans (groan).

I'd be interested in hearing any and all speculation on not just potential aliens (I think that's been started somewhere else) but what a first contact situation might be like. This assumes the crew of Destiny is around long enough to actually make friends on any particular planet, let alone a galaxy. These situations would be affected by the species, their biology, their culture, tech level and a number of other factors.

As an example: they meet a species who have a Rite of Friendship. This rite involves the exchange of a member of their society with one from their new friends. This parallels a similar custom found in various places on Earth. However, this exchanged individual is then eaten by the other group.

Why? Perhaps it is their way of saying, "You're part of our nest." Maybe it is how they exchange mass amounts of info (or language) between different groups by eating the other guys' brains. Perhaps the inclusion of bio-matter from someone external to their group has a function in their reproductive cycle.

How do you shake hands when the other guy assumes your hand is an hors d'oeuvre?

regards,
        G.
        *cough* Starship Trooopers *cough*

Comment

Originally posted by Amb. Shepphard(ARC) View Post
          *cough* Starship Trooopers *cough*
          DAMN!! Someone else saw the flick?

Not saying I'm being original, or at least any more original than a number of other story lines in the SG universe (note the small "u"). I'm hoping it would serve to illustrate possible scenarios from which other folks might want to spin a bit of whimsy.

regards,
          G.
          Go for Marty...

Comment

I'm wondering if they will be able to gate to the different worlds they encounter, if they figure out how long they have and all that. Of course, there would probably be humans on the different worlds.
            sigpic

Comment

Whoever they run into first im sure it'll end in a shooting situation somehow
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
                Whoever they run into first im sure it'll end in a shooting situation somehow
                Yep. That's how it's always been on Stargate.

Comment

why not aliens like from farscape?
                  sigpic

Comment

ok fist contact in the 1st ep.

humans form earth: hi
                    alien: hi
                    humans form earth: hey, i was wondering, do you want to hang out with us, we have a cool big ship, you could come on missions and risk you life for us, it will be fun, so what do you say?
                    alien: sure why not?

*ep ends*
                    ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

lol

Comment

humans form earth: hi
                        alien: hi
                        humans form earth: hey, i was wondering, do you want to hang out with us, we have a cool big ship, you could come on missions and risk you life for us, it will be fun, so what do you say?
                        alien: sure why not?
                        i can bet my life that this will will happen. i'm not sure if it will be the 1st ep. but it will. ok maybe not exactly that, maybe 'the alien' will get stuck on the ship and won't be there willingly or something, but still.. it will happen
                        ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

I hope the "new" races discovered the gate system(s), so there will be different alien controlled regions in the galaxies. Maybe Destiny will arrive in a war zone and they have to decide who they want to support.

I would like to see more first contact type episodes in Universe, but we need that every race have an own motivation. What do they think about the Ancients? Do they like the stargate? Will they like or hate us because of the Destiny ship? I hope BW and RCC will write less episode about shields and guns, and they will return to such roots, where we could see episodes about moral questions, biology, religion, history etc. I think they can refer to actual Earth problems through an alien-human discussion too. But I don't know an average SG fans would enjoy this style of stories.
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                            I hope the "new" races discovered the gate system(s), so there will be different alien controlled regions in the galaxies. Maybe Destiny will arrive in a war zone and they have to decide who they want to support.

I would like to see more first contact type episodes in Universe, but we need that every race have an own motivation. What do they think about the Ancients? Do they like the stargate? Will they like or hate us because of the Destiny ship? I hope BW and RCC will write less episode about shields and guns, and they will return to such roots, where we could see episodes about moral questions, biology, religion, history etc. I think they can refer to actual Earth problems through an alien-human discussion too. But I don't know an average SG fans would enjoy this style of stories.
                            Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Previously, it seemed like only people who were wrting the episodes were responding.

Do these alien species assume the humans are Ancients, and blame them for any woes due to the introduction of a stargate? Do the humans get treated like gods? Maybe they are just indifferent to visitors because they themselves are just a moment away from ascension, and the arrival of Destiny screws that up in some way..

regards,
                            G.
                            Go for Marty...

Comment

Gollumpus i just wanted to say that sgu will be for 'younger audience' ... your ideas will be too deep for them

Comment

Working...
                              X