PDA

View Full Version : Getting to the Destiny

Kris_x-303
August 29th, 2008, 12:52 AM
As the title suggests.. How?

It takes a ZPM or Ancient Power Module(That O'Neill built) to dial a 8 Chevron Address cause of the extra power so how would they do it for a 9 Chevron Address.

And i doubt its going to be 2 ZPM's or a thousand ZPM's since we're alittle short of them and hopefully they wont all of a sudden find a warehouse of them.. Just saying before anyone decides to answer with fanwank..

Andru10
August 29th, 2008, 01:22 AM

It takes a ZPM or Ancient Power Module(That O'Neill built) to dial a 8 Chevron Address cause of the extra power so how would they do it for a 9 Chevron Address.

And i doubt its going to be 2 ZPM's or a thousand ZPM's before anyone decides to answer with fanwank..

Maybe they use a ZPM just to establish the wormhole. After that the Stargate draws it's power from the Destiny to maintain the connection.

thekillman
August 29th, 2008, 02:02 AM
the only way is to have a dedicated ancient building. 8 massive ziggurats or pyramids stacked full with trillions of capacitors, or batteries, and have them build up a gargantuan energy enough to dial a wormhole. or, it dials the next galaxy, then the gates keep forwarding

sg1adam
August 29th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Maybe they use a ZPM just to establish the wormhole. After that the Stargate draws it's power from the Destiny to maintain the connection.

I like this idea, as we know that the opened worm-hole can draw energy from the other end, I think.... lol.

Mike272
August 29th, 2008, 07:48 AM
My idea:

*Using ZPM to dial out*

"chevron, uh, 9, locked!"

*Gate starts to activate, lights dim out, almost go off; large power drain, some short circuits*

"what was that?!"

McKay: "massive power drain, ZedPM is almost depleted"

*Wormhole begins to become unstable*

"send the MALP!"

*suddenly, wormhole stabilizes, light come back*

*^ Power is being drawn form Destiny*

EternalAlteran
August 29th, 2008, 08:01 AM
MAybe we built some of those subspace capacitors or we use a jumper and a gate near a blackhole.

wkw427
August 29th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I think of it like this

They need to hook up a DHD to send and recieve data via SGC's computer, and dial the 9 symbol address.

Then the DHD and computer and gate all lock up for 10-15 mins while it is "pinging" the ship. Then it finaly opens

stargater1990
August 29th, 2008, 04:41 PM

And i doubt its going to be 2 ZPM's or a thousand ZPM's since we're alittle short of them and hopefully they wont all of a sudden find a warehouse of them.. Just saying before anyone decides to answer with fanwank..

just because its a nine chevron adress dosent mean it will take way more power than the 8 chevron adress because your still dialing another galaxy.

my guess as to how their going to do it is this:

it opens with them recieving the zpm that atlantis used origionally to escape lantia, but didint have eneough power to open another hyperspace window after they accidentally exited hyperspace prematurely so they got a new one from asuras, which is the one atlantis is currently using. well, they get the zpm and hook it up to the gate. they theorized that the gate only needs a little power to connect and from there, the destiny will supply the required power. well they dial the gate and it works and they have a connection and since theres eneough juice to keep the gate active from the destiny, their realtively certin that a simple recon would be safe and then they can simply dial back to earth. there wrong.

after they step through the gate the gate shuts down. apperently the destinys power generators have shut down and they dont have a clue as to why so their stuck untill they can fix them. well after the new carter type inspects the generators, she says that more than 3/4ths of these very cool ion-nutrino generators are dead and there isint eneough power to dial earth so their stuck. the good news is that the generators remaining could power the basic need for the ship for the next 2 centuries before failing and the ship is dead in the water. apperantly, the massive storage tank that stored eneough ion nutreno fuel for millions of years is almost empty, and the mechanism designed to make new fuel is damaged beyond repair.

now they learn that the ship is on auto pilot and that they cant fly the ship back to earth and if they want to search planets they come across for either some sort of substitute for the ion generators fuel to get them working again or some other power source. the only problem is that they cant controll the ship so if someone gets left behind they cant go back for them.

Cruor
August 29th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Yeah like stargater1990 mentioned, the 9th symbol doesn't mean it requires more energy.

Fact. Sam or was it Daniel mentioned that the 7th symbol when dialing an 8th symbol stargate address would be the "Area code" for the galaxy you want to connect to.

And there's only 39 symbols on a stargate and there's a whole lot more than 39 galaxies out there in the universe. So reason would have it that in a 9 symbol address, the 7th and 8th chevron would be the "area code", thus granting another 1482 possible galaxies to connect too. I doubt the ancients gated that many galaxies tho. But they could have quite possibly gated 39 and therfore needed another chevron for the Destiny galaxy.

That's my guess at least.

If in all their 50 million years they were such busy bees that they did indeed gate more than 1521 (39*39) galaxies then they'd need a 10 symbol address for the following galaxies.

2ndgenerationalteran
August 29th, 2008, 11:42 PM
possibly the gate depletes all of its naquadah that makes up it in some nonlethal reaction making the gate essentially dead after one use. We have seen liquid nauadah all used at one time maybe the same can be the same for the solid naquadah in the gate.

thekillman
August 30th, 2008, 07:06 AM
or you need different symbols. after all, pegasus uses other symbols than MW. i do think destiny uses a different symbol system. perhaps even numeric

dropstitch
August 30th, 2008, 07:11 AM
That's a good point. The constellation-based system wouldn't apply to a ship that's not even in the same galaxy as said constellations, so surely that system just wouldn't work.

thekillman
August 30th, 2008, 09:35 AM
well i was thinking. with 38 symbols we can dial 38 galaxies. but what if there's a different set of 38 symbols for clusters?

see it like this:

MW symbols: milky way
Pegasus: pegasus

ie. galaxy symbols: galaxy.

then you have 38 or so symbols for the local group. and then? you use a new set of symbols for the galactic clusters.

for the destiny: simply do it like this:

galactic supercluster:

Set A for galactic cluster dial
Set B for galaxy 1
Set C for galaxy 2.
set D for galaxy 3
Set E for galaxy 4

Character
August 30th, 2008, 09:39 AM
or you need different symbols. after all, pegasus uses other symbols than MW. i do think destiny uses a different symbol system. perhaps even numeric

Which begs the question, how do you dial something, for which you dont have the symbols on your keybord? For that matter, how do they dial MW>Pegasus, MW>Ida or any combination of that, if they use diferent symbols? i mean if the adress is 123 and all your dialer can dial is abc... :confused:

_Famrir_
August 30th, 2008, 10:02 AM
good point i think each galaxy has some chevron related to another one in a different galaxy

tombombadil
August 30th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Magnets:P

Andru10
August 30th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Magnets:P

Brilliant !!! Best idea so far ! :lol:

kufan76
August 30th, 2008, 10:52 AM
The ninth chevron must do more than just lock as part of an address, as we would think of it, an address being a point in space. Stargates have to be near or in orbit of a planet for the entire address to lock on. and since the ship moves from planet to planet, anyone gating to the ship would have no idea which planet it was going to next, so how would they be able to decifer a new gate address? (Am I confusing everyone or just myself here?)

I guess the point is, that maybe the ninth chevron was designed by the ancients as the one and only link directly to the ship. I mean they created all of it, I just think it's possible that when they created the stargates, they had the Destiny in mind to use with stargates to explore instead of just using gates or just using ships. and the entire gate address to get there is always the same, the address would be like a combination lock, instead of an address, and put all together would unlock the ninth chevron, and gain access to the destiny, of course, with a control crystal to dial another galaxy and a zpm for power. This way, the ancients would always be able to find the destiny, because the symbols on the stargate aren't likely to fade or be erased, like any other method of writing it down would. And since this combination isn't any gate address that would be a pretty impressive security measure, to ensure that no one gets there that isn't supposed to.

2ndgenerationalteran
August 30th, 2008, 12:46 PM
maybe it isnt even on purpose maybe its a complete accident

_Famrir_
August 31st, 2008, 07:55 PM
maybe this is one of the reasons they switched to a digital Stargate

Raven6666
August 31st, 2008, 11:09 PM
I'm thinking when the Destiny (the second ship as I recall, there's the seeder ship, and Destiny is just like the gardener checking the plants) checks up on the Seeder Ship's gates, it makes the destination gate dial it, hence making the wormhole as such like we dialling the Alpha Site.
If that doesn't make sense, would a two-way wormhole work?(Same thing, but the D opens the 2-way to us, and a team there is sent within 38 minutes.)

thekillman
September 2nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
Which begs the question, how do you dial something, for which you dont have the symbols on your keybord? For that matter, how do they dial MW>Pegasus, MW>Ida or any combination of that, if they use diferent symbols? i mean if the adress is 123 and all your dialer can dial is abc...

you have a capslock key?

Character
September 3rd, 2008, 07:24 AM
you'd need a whole lot of capslock keys if every galaxy has its own abc

2ndgenerationalteran
September 3rd, 2008, 10:46 PM
sun goes nova to dial in.

jlgrand
October 12th, 2009, 10:46 PM
OOH! What if one of the symbols is like a 'shift' key and dials other Universes!

escyos
October 13th, 2009, 05:52 AM
uniquely radioactive naquadah core

Merlin1701
October 13th, 2009, 06:07 AM
we know now...we watched the show

Quadhelix
October 13th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Fact. Sam or was it Daniel mentioned that the 7th symbol when dialing an 8th symbol stargate address would be the "Area code" for the galaxy you want to connect to.
I know that this is really old, but it is also really wrong.

Sam said that if you were going to dial outside the galaxy, you would need "an extra distance calculation" that was "like an area code." Also, remember that, at the time she said this, she had known about the use of the eighth chevron for all of five minutes.

Thus, it was never actually stated that a glyph encoded into the eighth chevron acts as an "area code" for a particular galaxy. For all we know, each eight-chevron address could stand for an entire galaxy, or at least a significant portion of one. In fact, even if an eight-chevron address were "large" enough to encompass the entire Pegasus galaxy, there could still be several hundred such addresses in the Milky Way (because the Milky Way is that much bigger).

On the issue of the ninth chevron, it seems to be some sort of "code." However, there are a few mental leaps that can be done to avoid this conclusion.

Firstly, we know that, if there are two Stargates at the same address, it is possible to set things up so that one always takes precedence (attaching only one to a DHD, one's a Pegasus 'Gate and the other a Milky Way 'Gate, etc.). The Destiny's Stargate may be that way with the seeded Stargates: if the Destiny's 'Gate and a seeded 'Gate share an address, the Destiny's 'Gate takes precedence.

Second, remember that the Destiny's address was in the Ancient database. In other words, it was stored on a computer. With that in mind, there is no reason to think that the Destiny's address could not be updated as it moved from location to location. Now, some might object that the Destiny's address has not changed in several years when it is clearly moving from place to place. However, a nine-chevron address, if it did represent a region of space, would have to stand for a region the size of the Milky Way or larger - perhaps as large as a galactic group or cluster, if not larger. If that were the case, the Destiny could spend centuries or more at a single nine-chevron address before moving on.

As for using Earth as the point of origin, that is a little harder to answer but a plausible answer is possible: Earth's point of Origin is also the Milky Way's point of origin, which is what really matters at the distances involved.

Guest750
October 13th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I've a question, if they couldn't dial in, how did they find the place?

Edit: Just realized how vague that is, I'm reffering to the Icarus base.

thekillman
October 13th, 2009, 11:43 AM
by ship, probably.

also, the not being able to dial in was PROGRAMMED by Rush and his engineers.

which makes it interesting, that such degrees of gate adaptations are possible. next, we could make a virus that makes a gate incapable of dialling out. then we invade, and nobody can escape

stargater1990
October 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM
by ship, probably.

also, the not being able to dial in was PROGRAMMED by Rush and his engineers.

which makes it interesting, that such degrees of gate adaptations are possible. next, we could make a virus that makes a gate incapable of dialling out. then we invade, and nobody can escape

technically, we already did that because avenger renders the gate incapable of dialing out and if you followed the virus up with an invasion force they wouldnt be able to modify it.

although, when you invade a planet via the gate, you would naturally hold the gate and secure it so that when reinforcements arrive, theyd be safe so using a virus to make sure noone can escape is kinda redundant.

Alterran1.
October 14th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Though Earth can't dial the Destiny I see no reason why they couldn't dial a planet in the same galaxy and gate to the planet the Destiny crew are currently on.

The Destiny could notify them of the planet through the long range communication system and then they use a ZPM to dial.

Without taking another ZPM with them it would be a one way trip but another expedition could be sent with all the supplies they could possible need, including materials to fix the ship. Even if they only had six hours they could get aow of equipment to the Destiny.

thekillman
October 14th, 2009, 10:46 PM
limited gate range, and dialling the galaxy they are in is just as far as the destiny itself.

using calculations on raw naquahdah, Icarus (the planet) has an energetic potential of 10^22 joules. zpm calculations start at 10^28 joules.

while raw naquahdah is lighter, it takes two jaffa to carry four bricks of weaponsgrade naquahdah or so. which would make each brick 10kg or more.

naquahdriah is even more powerfull, but unless it is a million times more powerful than raw naquahdah, its not gonna do much.

the only safe thing i can say: dialling with a ZPM has a huge impact on it's state. depletion would come pretty fast

K^2
October 15th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Icarus (the planet) has an energetic potential of 10^22 joules.
That sounds way too low. How did you come up with this number?

morrismike
October 15th, 2009, 03:11 AM
That sounds way too low. How did you come up with this number?
The yeild for naquada should be at least 1 to 3 MeV per amu and naquadria much higher than that.

Alterran1.
October 15th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Even if power was the issue they could use a blackhole too power the gate and just head through using puddle jumpers.

thekillman
October 15th, 2009, 04:22 AM
i took the density of naquahdah, took the radius of earth's core, and the energy density of naquahdah.

keep in mind that it's raw naquahdah, but even if naquahdriah has 100x greater energy density, the total energy would still not be enough.

Quadhelix
October 15th, 2009, 07:14 AM
The planet that Icarus base was on was roughly the size of Earth and was literally blown up by the detonation of its core, so the core had to release (upon detonation) at least 10^34 J, if not more.

stargater1990
October 15th, 2009, 12:55 PM
if you want to reach the destiny the best way to do that would be by using a black hole since a blackhole can power a supergate connection from the MW to the origalaxy which is too far away to ever reach by ship( at least within a reasonable amount of time, obviousloy) then a black hole should be able to power a regular gate to connect to the destiny. at that time you can send through materials needed to fix the ship.

also, though this may sound crazy, it should theoretically work but you could use a black hole to dial a pre determined planet near the destiny. then you send through an asgard beaming modual that is capable of accepting an asgard transport beam that comes through the gate and then rematerializing it. then you use a duplicate one to beam a 304 into the buffer and beam it through the gate and then the modual on the planet rematerializes it and then it flys to the destiny and beams the people over to the 304 and flys to a blackhole and does the reverse of what they did earlier and then everybodys home.

also, if the ori's followers know how to, you could construct a supergate in a galaxy that the destiny is in and then send a 304 to fetch the people and if possible, repair the ship and fly it back to earth.

thekillman
October 16th, 2009, 04:30 AM
The planet that Icarus base was on was roughly the size of Earth and was literally blown up by the detonation of its core, so the core had to release (upon detonation) at least 10^34 J, if not more.

due to the superdense core, the planet was probably smaller.

and yes, i know, the energy release should be higher. remember that i used raw naquahdah, not naquahdriah.

actually, i'm gonna calculate backwards and find out the energy density of naquahdriah,

core radius: 3470 KM
core volume = 4/3 Pi Radius ^3= 1.75x10^20 m^3

energy release (minimal, gravity remains the same, the planet is just smaller): 10^32
10^32 J / 1.75x10^20 m^3 = 5.71x10^11 joules per cubic meter, or 5.71x10^5 joules per cm^3

raw naquahdah's energy density is 1.8x10^15 joules per cm, according to this (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?p=7619752)

so either i'm wrong, or i'm wrong, or i'm horribly wrong.

what the hell? it makes no sense anymore!

the earth's core is 1.75x10^26 cm^3
times 1.8x10^15 is 3.19x10^41 joules.

that's RAW naquahdah.

so it seems that indeed, Icarus is a superZPM.

then naquahdriah must be orders of 100 higher or so, as weaponsgrade Nq is much heavier than Nq and naquahdriah is even more powerfull, so the density of naquahdriah has to be around megatons per cm^3 (or 1x8x10^18 joules or more per Cm)

K^2
October 16th, 2009, 05:04 AM
That seems more like it. Because figure you gave earlier suggested that naquahdah has worse energy density than gasoline.