PDA

View Full Version : SGU will last one season only!

Buck32
August 28th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Might get canned for this but i don't care, i think SGU will only last one season with the current showrunners and writers of SGA at the helm this series is doomed before it starts. It will die in a flood of uninteresting characters, unoriginal plots and a dubious setting.

Jumper_One
August 28th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Might get canned for this but i don't care, i think SGU will only last one season with the current showrunners and writers of SGA at the helm this series is doomed before it starts. It will die in a flood of uninteresting characters, unoriginal plots and a dubious setting.

the current showrunners of Atlantis (JM and PM) are currently working on the final eps of s5 and the movie

Anubis Lives
August 28th, 2008, 03:14 PM
You could go a bit deeper and explain WHY you think this instead of just stating it as fact.

Jeff O'Connor
August 28th, 2008, 03:35 PM
the current showrunners of Atlantis (JM and PM) are currently working on the final eps of s5 and the movie

Yep. I pretty much stopped reading at that part.

leiasky
August 28th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I'm going to give it a chance. I've liked everything Stargate (with a few excepetions) so far.

Jackie
August 28th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I predict 3 to 5 seasons.:)

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
August 28th, 2008, 06:12 PM

Try not stomping around so much. You'll disturb the people downstairs.:cool:

Colonel_Ez
August 28th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I think it will go longer than one season - even though im currently voicing some unhappiness with the premise of the show (based on what we know so far) im hoping to be proven wrong.

I'd agree with other people though, not been posting here long but most people like to discuss peoples viewpoints - say why you think it wont last and have some discussion... we can always hope that somebody working on the show is lurking on the forums and taking notes... the more things we discuss the more likely our fears wont ever make it into a script

Infinatus
August 28th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I'm not too enthusiastic about the premise of SGU but even I predict it will be more successful than the original poster says. :)

jenks
August 28th, 2008, 06:58 PM

And you felt the need to create a new thread just to share that with us? Attention seeking much?

Major_Griff
August 28th, 2008, 07:13 PM
5 seasons, 100 episodes minimum. Let's conservatively say that half of the established Stargate fans watch SGU regularly. Then you factor in the fact that they want a known lead with a decent sized fan base and again a conservative 50% of his/her fans watch the show. Then the rest of the unknown cast will have a fan base however small and again at least 50% of their fans will watch regularly. SGU will get good enough ratings to be on for 5 seasons at the very least. That all assumes the show isn't complete crap of Flash Gordon/Painkiller Jane proportions, and I've said it a lot, I trust the PTB at least that much.

the fifth man
August 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I see, at the very least, 3 seasons for SGU. I'm hoping for at least 5 though.

starfox
August 28th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Depends on where in the year the show premieres and how close the premiere is to the showing of the Stargate movies. If they don't have a good lead-in or residual hype from an SG-1 or Atlantis movie and they're going against a strong show from another network, then they're screwed. It's one of the reasons I thought cancelling Atlantis before SGU premiered would be a mistake. Without the fan lead-in from Atlantis, they're going to have to do some fancy footwork in terms of publicity and programming to give the show a good start.

stargater1990
August 28th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I'm going to give it a chance. I've liked everything Stargate (with a few excepetions) so far.

as have i, everything so far has been great, exept infinity...i cant stand that show. but they did stress the fact that it was going to be very different than what sg1 and atlantis are...was like. personally im quite looking forward to the show.

Gollumpus
August 28th, 2008, 08:33 PM
It's one of the reasons I thought cancelling Atlantis before SGU premiered would be a mistake. Without the fan lead-in from Atlantis, they're going to have to do some fancy footwork in terms of publicity and programming to give the show a good start.

However, are you forgetting the mass of folks out there who get their Stargate from a source other than Sci-Fi channel? These folks won't have a break in Stargate material. In my neck of the woods, season 4 is just about to start on the local cable network. Once seaon 5 is over (in 2010), these fans will move right in to season one of Universe.

regards,
G.

Briangate78
August 28th, 2008, 08:54 PM
It will likely get 5 seasons and then will be cancelled for a 4th series. ;)

Jack_Bauer
August 28th, 2008, 08:57 PM

I agree

Buck32
August 28th, 2008, 09:56 PM
And you felt the need to create a new thread just to share that with us? Attention seeking much?

Yeah!! why not? there's dumber threads out there!!!

Buck32
August 28th, 2008, 10:05 PM

I was stating my opinion, it's the same as stating a fact!!!!

kufan76
August 28th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I believe It will go five seasons, or 100 eps. whichever comes first. Even if its doing bad after season4, or whichever the previous season before they reach 100 eps. I refer back to what I remember about Enterprise, the first two seasons weren't well recieved, season 3 was better, but by then it was far too late, and paramount decided to push thru a season 4 to reach the 100episode mark. Apparently for some reason, 100 eps is the mark shows need to reach to be seriously sold in syndication.

Thats why folks! It's all about the Money, IF SGU makes it thru the first 3 seasons with even half decent ratings, MGM will push Scifi to reach that 100 mark, so it can be sold in syndication.

However it is possible that it will fall completely flat and be cancelled after one season, but I doubt it. I think there will be enough of a fan base to keep it going. It would have to be really, really awful. And I just don't see it. MGM seems to have been ready for this series for some time now, and that I think bodes well for the series. MGM obviously sees this as a money maker for them, which is why the cancelled atlantis. They feel that SGU will be a better investment for them. Again to everyone this is all IMO, so if I've stated anything incorrectly, feel free to let me know!

Miroslav
August 28th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Sci-Fi Cahnnel isn't a FOX. ;)

I predict five seasons minimmum. :)

starfox
August 28th, 2008, 11:59 PM
However, are you forgetting the mass of folks out there who get their Stargate from a source other than Sci-Fi channel? These folks won't have a break in Stargate material. In my neck of the woods, season 4 is just about to start on the local cable network. Once seaon 5 is over (in 2010), these fans will move right in to season one of Universe.

regards,
G.

Unfortunately, you guys don't matter to Sci-Fi, which, given the failure in seeking/finding another network for Stargate, is going to play a very large factor in how long the show runs. It may be an international franchise, but its fate is largely determined by the American television market.

andr3w_iii
August 29th, 2008, 12:29 AM
don't see this show going beyond the 1 season, no longer trust the integrity of the show runners. Stargate will be buried in the sand once more

Gollumpus
August 29th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Unfortunately, you guys don't matter to Sci-Fi, which, given the failure in seeking/finding another network for Stargate, is going to play a very large factor in how long the show runs. It may be an international franchise, but its fate is largely determined by the American television market.

Alas, you are correct. :(

We still matter in the DVD sales market. ;)

regards,
G.

ussrelativity
August 29th, 2008, 01:52 AM
^ The emerging Blu-ray market needs a quality sci-fi TV show on Blu-ray. Universe could very well make it to day-and-date with a standard DVD release.

thekillman
August 29th, 2008, 02:12 AM
look SGU lasts for atleast 5 seasons, prob not much longer than that

sg1adam
August 29th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I to feel that it won't last that many seasons like other sci-fi franchises, SG1 was the exception and IMHO, and won't be surpased for a very long time.

Platschu
August 29th, 2008, 01:07 PM
If we count with Stargate : Command (= Stargate : SG-1 season 9 and 10), what was canceled after the second season, than I don't expect any better for Universe. BW and RCC have to work harder to create an even better series. Because they can hire better actors, they can write better and bigger stories and they can afford more CGI alien and world. But what if won't be enough? The number of DVRs are rising, but I don't believe more people will order SciFi Channel. I fear although they could get bigger budget, but a cabel television won't reach enough viewer, so it won't be profitable simply. That is the sad fact. Maybe they should have brought to series to a free-tv, but they would never risk to be canceled after 2-3 episode for example on ABC or Fox etc. So if it will get only a one season, I will try to enjoy the new adventures. ;)

poundpuppy29
August 29th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Depends on where in the year the show premieres and how close the premiere is to the showing of the Stargate movies. If they don't have a good lead-in or residual hype from an SG-1 or Atlantis movie and they're going against a strong show from another network, then they're screwed. It's one of the reasons I thought cancelling Atlantis before SGU premiered would be a mistake. Without the fan lead-in from Atlantis, they're going to have to do some fancy footwork in terms of publicity and programming to give the show a good start.
I agree with this I wonder if BW thought about this at all

If we count with Stargate : Command (= Stargate : SG-1 season 9 and 10), what was canceled after the second season, than I don't expect any better for Universe. BW and RCC have to work harder to create an even better series. Because they can hire better actors, they can write better and bigger stories and they can afford more CGI alien and world. But what if won't be enough? The number of DVRs are rising, but I don't believe more people will order SciFi Channel. I fear although they could get bigger budget, but a cabel television won't reach enough viewer, so it won't be profitable simply. That is the sad fact. Maybe they should have brought to series to a free-tv, but they would never risk to be canceled after 2-3 episode for example on ABC or Fox etc. So if it will get only a one season, I will try to enjoy the new adventures.

I don't think it's fair to say that really regardless of how you feel about seasons 9 and 10 it was still SG-1 not Stargate Command. Just because RDA left doesn't mean SG-1 was done. I may not be happy with season 4 and 5 of SGA but I do recognize it is SGA. I may have my own version of the last 2 seasons in my head I realize it's just for me it's not canon. I firmly believe if it was SGC it would probably still be on because it was about money not story

ha'tak_
August 29th, 2008, 02:15 PM
true i am also going to give it a change i think it will be good

indeed

Platschu
August 29th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I don't think it's fair to say that rally regardless of how you feel about seasons 9 and 10 it was still SG-1 not Stargate Command. Just because RDA left doesn't mean SG-1 was done. I may not be happy with season 4 and 5 of SGA but I do recognize it is SGA. I may have my own version of the last 2 seasons in my head I realize it's just for me it's not canon. I firmly believe if it was SGC it would probably still be on because it was about money not story

You misunderstood me. I like season 9 and 10 and I think the last season was the best in SG-1. But the viewers were not ablt to accept the new characters, the new storylines. I returned to "Stargate : Command", because technically it was the last spin-off, but it didn't work. Stargate : Universe's fate can be different with the new actors and storylines, but they have to show something new and original for scifi fans. The loyal SG fans like me or you will watch it, but if we want a second season for Universe, than they have to pull new viewers to the SciFi. And that will be a bit hard. Maybe the Stargate : Worlds game will present the franchise to the younger audience, so maybe new fans will discover the Universe too. I believe in BW and RCC and after the first episodes of the Atlantis season 5, they won't fault. But I have to say it again, the number of DVR viewers vs. Live rating match will decide about Universe. :o

jenks
August 29th, 2008, 02:53 PM
You can hardly compare the two, the reason there wasn't a season 11 was down to cost due to having to pay a 10 year old cast. If the cast had had their pay check reduced to what it was in season 1 then you can bet that it would have gone on longer...

Platschu
August 30th, 2008, 01:50 PM
You can hardly compare the two, the reason there wasn't a season 11 was down to cost due to having to pay a 10 year old cast. If the cast had had their pay check reduced to what it was in season 1 then you can bet that it would have gone on longer...
The MGM should have given a bigger budget for salaries. :o I can understand the actors, who worked for 10 years on SG-1 that they wanted bigger paychecks. ;)

Cryowolf
August 30th, 2008, 02:27 PM
The MGM should have given a bigger budget for salaries. :o I can understand the actors, who worked for 10 years on SG-1 that they wanted bigger paychecks. ;)

If they add a bigger budget without getting increased profit, then they might as well start a new series, gain profit and pay less. In the end it all comes down to business, and making money.

jenks
August 30th, 2008, 03:10 PM

I can understand them wanting to be paid more every year, but that doesn't mean they deserve it IMO, at least not to the extent they are anyway...

the fifth man
August 30th, 2008, 05:39 PM

Gone longer? Oh, yeah. I think SG-1 would still be on if that had been the case.

Bray
August 30th, 2008, 06:46 PM

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2967884/2/istockphoto_2967884_aluminium_can_with_clipping_path.jpg

Out! NOW!

Pointless post

Sp!der
August 31st, 2008, 10:43 AM
i really hope its last longer than one season because, hey stargate is stargate and they will put smth in the new show that remains stargate. So its a good start that last the show a little longer than one season, hell even the 4400 got four season which intended to be first a mini serie.

NIMBUS
August 31st, 2008, 11:16 AM
i think that sgu will have more than one season because now earthling conditions are different from what they were in sga and sg1 and it wont feel the same thing.

oh i realized something (off topic) :) *eureka* :D they will be able to revisit planets they were at/on in previous pit stops :P . you can always use stargate to go to previous planets :) . it's just that before i thought that they will visit a planet and be gone forever after some while :)

leeman15251
August 31st, 2008, 11:30 AM
I will watch. I need a Stargate Fix.

ciannwn
August 31st, 2008, 11:43 AM
oh i realized something (off topic) :) *eureka* :D they will be able to revisit planets they were at/on in previous pit stops :P . you can always use stargate to go to previous planets :) . it's just that before i thought that they will visit a planet and be gone forever after some while :)

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/08/istargate_universei_has_a_go.shtml

According to how Sci Fi describes the show halfway down the page -

the crew is unable to control the ship's navigational schedule. If someone is left behind, there is no way to go back for them,

I'm wondering why the Destiny crew won't be able to land on a new planet and use its Stargate to send a rescue team to a previously visited planet. Won't they have any way of finding out gate addresses?

NIMBUS
August 31st, 2008, 11:52 AM
lol it would be so funny if producers wouldn't have thought of that (calling to previous planet) :D

Platschu
August 31st, 2008, 12:24 PM
lol it would be so funny if producers wouldn't have thought of that (calling to previous planet) :D

What about space gates?

YutheGreat
August 31st, 2008, 06:14 PM
From the description, They said it was going to be character-base. The only other show that I have seen which is character based is BSG. I didn't like BSG before but It kinda grew on me. Gaius Baltar is interesting. So maybe I'll give SGU a chance. I'll try to see what kind of characters they come up with.

ToasterOnFire
August 31st, 2008, 06:26 PM
If the same tired old PTB are in charge of SGU then I'll be lucky to make it through one season, regardless of whether or not it gets renewed. ;)

Rosehawk
August 31st, 2008, 07:07 PM

I agree with this I wonder if BW thought about this at all
I'm pretty sure they did think this through and found a way to rationalize it.

My guess is that since they seem to be going for a younger target audience, having a break between shows will allow them to do promoting that won't tie into SGA or SG1 so much. They can change their target audience much easier when there is time inbetween shows where they don't overlap and fans will mostly likely be more accepting of the new show.

I'm guessing SGU will have alot to prove to fans. Don't know enough to get a feel whether it will go more than one season.

I know I don't have the same feelings about it that I did before Atlantis air'd.

the fifth man
August 31st, 2008, 07:40 PM
I kind of feel sorry for everyone involved with SGU. There are a lot of people they just will not be able to please.

Rosehawk
August 31st, 2008, 09:12 PM
I kind of feel sorry for everyone involved with SGU. There are a lot of people they just will not be able to please.
Yeah, I know because the actors, writers, directors, etc do work hard to bring this stuff to life. I think tptb think the six month wait is enough to let the anger subside and work to promote it for their new target group! I just think they are really underestimating the fan base.

I wouldn't have minded SGU if they hadn't cancel Atlantis. I am just tired of getting emotionally invested in these shows only to have them cancelled due to a business reason and not because of the fans lack of interest. Especially since I was wary of SGU before the cancellation.

Still though, I am guessing fans will give SGU at least two or three years.

The_reaper
September 2nd, 2008, 01:18 AM
I hope that it will last for more than 5 seasons because the stargate franchise is a good one. however from what i have read about the premise for the show i doubt it will last that long.

Admiral Mappalazarou
September 2nd, 2008, 11:25 AM

You may be right about that. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the current powers that be. If that is the case even in the pilot episode, I'll stop watching.

SGAtlantisP60
September 2nd, 2008, 11:54 AM
i think we shpuld give the show a shot...i mean it might get canned but i think that its going to last maybe 5 -6 seasons i mean the two other stargate shows have lasted that long..... Sg1 for 11 years and atlnatis for 5 so far... hopflly it will be good and not just a crap show

Nylon
September 6th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Ok just a few comments from me.( You will have to excuse some continuity errors in my ramblings as a didn;t watch SGa until awhile after it was released)

I'm actually looking forward to Sg Universe, I can actually say im excited about where it is going and how the new cast will turn out.
But still I understand where some people are coming from with the comments about the current PTB getting a bit boring. I remember similar comments around the time of season 9 and 10 and I'll admit that i wasn;t the biggest fan of those seasons for 2 main reasons, firstly the false good enslavement premise was at the time a little over down, we had just watched 8 years of Goa'uld rule and at least for a little while it would of be good to see some variation. Although some would argue that this would move away from the central ideas of SG1. The other reason was a rampant filler episodes(more season 10 then 9), these in all honesty bored me and I didn;t seem to contribute to either character development or plot.

But at the same time as this we got Stargate Atlantis (S 1,2 & 3) which if im honest it was bloody brilliant and for time life was good. This is what I see as the PTB who were honestly flogging a dead horse a bit with SG-1 really creating something excellent as they were given a new cast, settings and ideas to play with. But again along rolled season 4 and I began to get bored again with some of the ideas ( Honestly I think the replicators were a mistake). Then again there were complaints from the masses about a lack of originality which in part I agreed with. Following this ( much like the current complaints over SGU) there were many boycott season 5 etc threads by people who rightly or wrongly were condemning season 5 simply based on the results of season 4. I though I would given season 5 a chance and im really happy I did, bar "ghost in the machine" I think season 5 has be fantastic, and honestly I'm rather bummed out that its now been canned.

But anyway back to my original point. Yes many people can say that TPTB are old and passed their prime but I believe that given new stories, cast and settings they can make it work.

Oh and a few more points,
1) Do the CGI stargates in SGA season 4 onwards annoy anyone else? I new it cuts prop design costs but I find it wrecks the whole feel of the outdoors scenes.

2) The repeated all forest planets do bore me after while. I miss the greater diversity of environments you got in Sg-1 and early atlantis. I know this can't be helped that much as I remember reading in Joseph Mallozzi blog that there simply aren't that many available shooting locations around Vancouver as there used to be.

Anyway I think thats all i have to say.

Empress Vajnraa
September 6th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I can already see the Gateworld Header if Universe does bomb:

Not so Wright: Interview with Stargate Producer about the Failure of third show :P

but in all seriousness I have moderate-high expectations for the series, and even if it isn't very good, Sci-fi will continue to whore it out to make money. i.e, only one season isn't very likely.

Bytor
September 7th, 2008, 06:05 AM
but in all seriousness I have moderate-high expectations for the series, and even if it isn't very good, Sci-fi will continue to whore it out to make money. i.e, only one season isn't very likely.

Unless it's as bad as Flash Gordon....

Well.. as pessisimistic as I am about these young vibe character driven adventures in space.... I just don't see the producers and writers of stargate making something as bad as Flash Gordon.

KurganSGC
September 8th, 2008, 11:37 AM

So you think that the writers and show runners who have successfully steered the Stargate franchise for the last 11 years are going to fail? That's an interesting take. Any reasoning behind this, or is it just an unfounded opinion?