This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG:U First episode speculation

I, like everyone here at GateWorld, will be eagerly sitting at my TV screen next year watching the Stargate Universe pilot episode. But before that, lets go back 4 years to SGA's pilot, and 10 years back to SG-1's pilot, and two years to the actual stargate movie. All the pilots so far I love, and so far Atlantis' is the best. Hopefully Stargate Universe will folllow suit (which I'm very sure it will!)

Now back to the forum topic. To start, a question. If I'm right, it takes a fair amount of power (that can be generated non-sacrifically) on Earth when dialling an 7 symbol address. The power requirements for an 8 symbol address is so big you need a ZPM. So how the frak (see what I did there?) are they going to power that thing... unless it's in plain sight???

Originally posted by hamatau'ri View Post
    I, like everyone here at GateWorld, will be eagerly sitting at my TV screen next year watching the Stargate Universe pilot episode. But before that, lets go back 4 years to SGA's pilot, and 10 years back to SG-1's pilot, and two years to the actual stargate movie. All the pilots so far I love, and so far Atlantis' is the best. Hopefully Stargate Universe will folllow suit (which I'm very sure it will!)

Now back to the forum topic. To start, a question. If I'm right, it takes a fair amount of power (that can be generated non-sacrifically) on Earth when dialling an 7 symbol address. The power requirements for an 8 symbol address is so big you need a ZPM. So how the frak (see what I did there?) are they going to power that thing... unless it's in plain sight???
    Spoiler:
    Stolen Kosovo
    sigpic

Comment

Either a fully or near fully charged ZPM (The one they used in Rising was nearly depleted anyway), or they find some Ancient outpost offworld with the means to reach the ship.
      A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Likely in plain sight. For if you remember, it does take a lot of power to dial a seven, and then an eight symbol adress. However, it takes significantly less power, I think, to dial every gate in a Galaxy, as they did in Reckoning, to wipe out the replicators.
        It could simply be one giant gate bridge, one person dials the ninth cheveron, and then the next gate does the same, then the next one, the one after that, and so on until you reach the planet that you are going for.

Comment

Oh! Of course
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shaod View Post
            Oh! Of course
            Is this directed at anyone?

Comment

they always pick someone up in the 1st ep... what do you think it will be this time? female or male?

plus about getting to the ship. i think that calling 2 the 9 chevron gate will consume the same amount of energy as calling to 8 chevron gate, because it can't be any further than another galaxy...

btw Col.Foley idea is nice and possible
              ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

Originally posted by NIMBUS View Post
                they always pick someone up in the 1st ep... what do you think it will be this time? female or male?

plus about getting to the ship. i think that calling 2 the 9 chevron gate will consume the same amount of energy as calling to 8 chevron gate, because it can't be any further than another galaxy...

btw Col.Foley idea is nice and possible
                Well there are millions...if not billions of other galaxies out there. And thanks.
                I would not be surprised though if the requisite Alien that they run into, and is a member of the team is someone we know already. Someone who has spent a little time on Earth. Just speculation but it might be time for a little break.

Comment

Do we know where the ship is? If it's in our galaxy then dialing a 9 chevron address could take no more power than dialing a 7 chevron one...

Comment

Possibly only Dakara allows access to this ship, seeing as it was the first place the Alterans arrived on in the Milky Way; akin to how only Atlantis allows access outside the Galaxy due to that crystal. Possibly the Dakaran Stargate has some connected device allowing it to use the 9th Chevron (and also allowing the Gate to dial multiple addresses, possibly it could have only worked on Dakara, unbeknownst to the Tok'ra/ Goa'uld/ Humans).

Comment

my guess as to how their going to do it is this:

it opens with them recieving the zpm that atlantis used origionally to escape lantia, but didint have eneough power to open another hyperspace window after they accidentally exited hyperspace prematurely so they got a new one from asuras, which is the one atlantis is currently using. well, they get the zpm and hook it up to the gate. they theorized that the gate only needs a little power to connect and from there, the destiny will supply the required power. well they dial the gate and it works and they have a connection and since theres eneough juice to keep the gate active from the destiny, their realtively certin that a simple recon would be safe and then they can simply dial back to earth. there wrong.

after they step through the gate the gate shuts down. apperently the destinys power generators have shut down and they dont have a clue as to why so their stuck untill they can fix them. well after the new carter type inspects the generators, she says that more than 3/4ths of these very cool ion-nutrino generators are dead and there isint eneough power to dial earth so their stuck. the good news is that the generators remaining could power the basic need for the ship for the next 2 centuries before failing and the ship is dead in the water. apperantly, the massive storage tank that stored eneough ion nutreno fuel for millions of years is almost empty, and the mechanism designed to make new fuel is damaged beyond repair.

now they learn that the ship is on auto pilot and that they cant fly the ship back to earth and if they want to search planets they come across for either some sort of substitute for the ion generators fuel to get them working again or some other power source. the only problem is that they cant controll the ship so if someone gets left behind they cant go back for them.
                      STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

MPD - Mythical Power Drive

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                          Do we know where the ship is? If it's in our galaxy then dialing a 9 chevron address could take no more power than dialing a 7 chevron one...
                          I thought from the BW interviews that the ship was supposed to be on the "other side of the universe" or at least much further away than being in our galaxy or the local cluster for that matter.

Comment

Ok, speculation.

Someone raised the problem of how it can be interesting if a recon team ends up being the only ones on the ship after they realize that they can't get back. Even though both SG1 and SGA have only 4-6 people in their main cast, there is still plenty of secondary characters for them to interact with, not to mention a greater world of many characters around them (in the SGC or in Atlantis); such won't be the case if a 4-man team is stuck on an empty ship, and I agree. You can only have so much interaction between the team members before it gets boring.

But why would anyone send an entire expedition team to something that was just discovered? They WOULD just send a recon team.

The way out of this, as far as I can see, is to have a recon team discover the ship, but not having it suddenly jump away or something. Let it be that the ship is currently in hibernation, maybe in orbit of some planet. Then, once the team reports back that everything's a-ok, more people, like scientists and soldiers, can be sent to "fill up" the crew of the ship.

Now, the trigger would be when someone with the Ancient gene gates in, which, say, activates some kind of countdown that the crew doesn't recognize for what it is. Let's say that the Ancients built this countdown into the ship to give them time to unload and prepare before the ship begins its mission. Let's say that takes a week or something.

So for the next week, the ship is filled up with scientists and soldiers investigating the ship; in this case, they don't even have to be the "best of the best", which is a problem for SG1 and SGA. You can't have the best of the best out there and still have them make huge glaring mistakes without it being a contradiction. In this case, if the main cast of SGU aren't the best of the best, but rather a mishmash of random scientists and soldiers in the wrong place at the wrong time, then their mistakes are a little more excusable. Sort of. In the mean time, discoveries are made, and the main cast is introduced; their personalities revealed through their interactions with each other and various other peoples now populating the ship.

Then, suddenly, the countdown ends, and the ship jumps into hyperspace, and this group is cut off from Earth. So basically you get this (dare I say it) rag tag group of people who are forced to confront the fact that, in a split second, they are cut off from Earth, and will be flung to the far side of the universe.

I think that'd make for a more interesting dynamic than just a recon team stuck on a ship.

Comment

There is a completely full Zpm plugged into the antartic outpost since season 3 of atlantis :-p

Comment

Working...
                              X