This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis - Movie Budget - info?

Anybody have any information or thoughts on what the budget for the Sci-Fi Atlantis movie will be?

Things to consider.

SG1 - Ark of Truth and Continuum both had a 7 million dollar budget
    SG1 movies were straight to DVD and not aired on Sci-Fi (yet)...
    The atlantis movie may be more a of a "made for TV" movie instead of a "Straight to DVD" movie. Will this help or hinder the budget?
    Will Sci-Fi cough up (more) money along with MGM because its already set to air on Sci-Fi?
    BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
    Anybody have any information or thoughts on what the budget for the Sci-Fi Atlantis movie will be?

Things to consider.

SG1 - Ark of Truth and Continuum both had a 7 million dollar budget
    SG1 movies were straight to DVD and not aired on Sci-Fi (yet)...
    The atlantis movie may be more a of a "made for TV" movie instead of a "Straight to DVD" movie. Will this help or hinder the budget?
    Will Sci-Fi cough up (more) money along with MGM because its already set to air on Sci-Fi?
    IMHO 5 mil tops, RDA, Amanda, Ben or Beau are big stars with bigger paychecks than Joe or David for example...

Comment

With SGA and MGM splitting the costs, they may have a higher budget. An episode of Atlantis I think costs around 1.5 Million. So maybe a 3 to 4 million dollar budget?
      sigpic

Comment

If they finally go for the movies i hope they make more than 2 a year, Atlantis movies that is.
        I also liked the idea of mini serries, a guy droped in another thread. same budget with 2-3 movies a year, if they make about 10 1-hour episodes i guess.
        Yet if those movies are anything like the SG1 ones .....bliah
        Spoiler:
        APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
        (YEAR 0 - 100)
        "O thou Sun,
        send me as far over the earth
        as is my pleasure and thine,
        and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
        but never hear anything of bad ones,
        nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

hmmmm, im thinking it will end up being the same as the SG-1 movies. as its longer, and depending on this so called "guest star" we're getting and the pay check he/she may receive, the budget may be the same.
          "There's nothing to be gained by second-guessing yourself. You can't remake the past. So look ahead… or risk being left behind"

Woolsey: That sounded like another explosion.
          O'Neill: Yes. Yes it did.
          Woolsey: What does that mean?
          O'Neill: Something exploded...

sigpic

Comment

If SG1 movies are anything to go by we're looking at $7 million
            Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

all i know is being the follow up to series finale there will be lots of vfx

Comment

I think it could go one of two ways. Either they just go for a long episode and we get something for about 5 mil, or because MGM and Sci Fi are both funding itll end up with an even bigger budget than the SG-1 movies.
                Last edited by jenks; 28 August 2008, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  I think it could go one of two ways. Either they just go for a long episode and we get something for about 5 mil, or because MGM and Sci Fi are both funding it we'll end up with an even bigger budget than the SG-1 movies.
                  I think 5 mill is what Rising part 1 and 2 cost (combined). I hope they get more to work with than that...
                  BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

I think it could go one of two ways. Either they just go for a long episode and we get something for about 5 mil, or because MGM and Sci Fi are both funding it we'll end up with an even bigger budget than the SG-1 movies.
                    I'm hoping for the bigger budget and hopefully the ratings for the first movie will be strong.
                    sigpic

Comment

Maybe a naive question, but what would happen if they fans could collect 7 million dollar for a second Atlantis movie? If everyone could give 1 dollar, than I think we could reach this budget...
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I doubt there are 7 million fans.

Comment

I doubt there are 7 million fans.
                          It's weird, 7 million doesn't really sound like a lot, but it there must be significantly less than that. If 7 million tuned into SG-1 and SGA every week, Season 12 would be airing along side season 5, and SGA would have been picked up for S6 with out a doubt.

Perfecto!

Comment

There can be 7 million fan around the world. But if we count only with buyers of the AoT or Continuum, than there are at least 600 000 fan in the USA. So 10 dollar / fan would be enough, but I know it won't happen.
                            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I would do it though.....
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X