This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing in Guest Stars...

There are so many threads about so many things in this forum, so hopefully this thread isn't a repeat. Either way, I bring news:

Paul: People in the business, particularly actors, don't like to portray the same roles their entire career. Perfectly understandable, but we don't often hear about that in the other fields in television. If given the opportunity, would you join Universe as a writing producer, or are you perhaps looking forward to getting away from the franchise for a while, do something different?

Joe: It's hard to get burnt out on a series like Stargate simply because the basic premise allows for so many different types of storytelling. This was the case with SG-1, with Atlantis, and will no doubt be the case with Universe. One of the things that intrigues me about the Universe concept is the notion that this group is cut off from Earth and everything they've ever known. It was part of what made Atlantis so appealing in the early seasons, something we were never able to return to on account of those damn hyperspace-capable ships. Also, one of the things that bumped me about the SGU premise was its seeming inability to accommodate established guest stars. That was until Brad and Robert pitched out a clever little element that actually makes it very possible to see the likes of Daniel Jackson or Rodney McKay on SGU. While Paul and I certainly have our pilots polished and ready to go, we're not so sure we're done with the Stargate franchise.
    http://www.mediapundit.net/2008/08/q...-mallozzi.html

Intriguing, no? I wonder what that element is...

Speculate!

It's done in flashbacks. Some crew members have been on Atlantis while others were on an SGC team. Every so often we're shown a character reliving an SGA or SG1 incident because something in an SGU plot reminds them of it.
    sigpic

Comment

I think the B story to the series will be set on Earth, and revolve around what the SGC is doing to find their people, thus enabling well known faces to make appearances.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
        I think the B story to the series will be set on Earth, and revolve around what the SGC is doing to find their people, thus enabling well known faces to make appearances.
        which could link up with the Atlantis base being utilised in similar fashion?
        sigpic
        My Manips & other artwork!

Comment

I agree with all of the above.

regards,
          G.
          Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Col.Errandboy View Post
            which could link up with the Atlantis base being utilised in similar fashion?
            Please god no...That would seem so tacked on. The less we see of Atlantis the better. Earth & the SGC obviously makes sense since the show will probably start out from there, but I see no reason to involve Atlantis.

IMO the less big names the better. Reccuring guest actors are fine, but using your previous shows leading actors as guest stars is and always has been a terrible idea in any and all TV shows. That kind of fan service can easily go too far and end up sucking.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              There are so many threads about so many things in this forum, so hopefully this thread isn't a repeat. Either way, I bring news:

http://www.mediapundit.net/2008/08/q...-mallozzi.html

Intriguing, no? I wonder what that element is...

Speculate!
              It sounds like that even though the Destiny team can't get back to Earth, that Earth can still dial to the Destiny.

I think they might use the Asgard holographic technology through a wormhole (like Ba'al did in "Reckoning"). We saw where the hologram can move about and interact as if in the same room (as Carter did in "Revelations"). They'd have the 38-minute window to work around, but maybe they can use a naquadah- or nuclear-powered generator like the Russians used for their probe that kept the wormhole active in "Watergate".

This way, Daniel or Rodney could hook up to the holographic system (from the Asgard Computer Core) and interact with them as if being physically with them. Daniel might be needed to help read the Ancient and Rodney could help with the technological end. The Destiny team, though, would have to do the actual physical repairs, etc. That could make for some interesting situations.

There probably needs to be a big limitation placed on how often Earth can contact them and how long they can keep in contact, though, so as to add more suspense. I think that they are trying to reinforce the idea that the Destiny team is really not geared to do what they end up doing and have to wing it to survive.

Comment

They will have a holodeck and have simulations of past characters to help them through problems... haha

Actually I think it'd be more like those ancient stone communication devices. Such as Jackson and Vala used to inhabit the bodies of people in the Ori Galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeKayP
                  This way, Daniel or Rodney could hook up to the holographic system (from the Asgard Computer Core) and interact with them as if being physically with them. Daniel might be needed to help read the Ancient and Rodney could help with the technological end. The Destiny team, though, would have to do the actual physical repairs, etc. That could make for some interesting situations.
                  Originally posted by Grinspoon
                  Actually I think it'd be more like those ancient stone communication devices. Such as Jackson and Vala used to inhabit the bodies of people in the Ori Galaxy.
                  A stone communication device would make things too easy. If the Destiny crew needed something done which was beyond their abilities, a relevant expert could take up residence in a crew member's body and sort the problem out.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeeKayP View Post
                    It sounds like that even though the Destiny team can't get back to Earth, that Earth can still dial to the Destiny.

I think they might use the Asgard holographic technology through a wormhole (like Ba'al did in "Reckoning"). We saw where the hologram can move about and interact as if in the same room (as Carter did in "Revelations"). They'd have the 38-minute window to work around, but maybe they can use a naquadah- or nuclear-powered generator like the Russians used for their probe that kept the wormhole active in "Watergate".

There probably needs to be a big limitation placed on how often Earth can contact them and how long they can keep in contact, though, so as to add more suspense. I think that they are trying to reinforce the idea that the Destiny team is really not geared to do what they end up doing and have to wing it to survive.
                    I really like that idea. It has serious potential. I agree that the Destiny needs to be somewhat isolated to create suspense, and so that they aren't constantly bringing in other characters. But I would like to see our old favorite characters show up once in a while. The hologram idea seems especially interesting when you factor in the 38 minute time limit. They could be cut off from Earth, preserving the "far from home" feeling, but still have some continuity with the rest of the Stargate world.

By the way, thanks to PG15 for the news info!
                    Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                    Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

You're welcome!

It's not just the 38 Minutes thing that could limit the amount of communication; I'm sure there will be power issues as well, dialing a gate that far out.

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
                        I really like that idea. It has serious potential.
                        Thanks.

I agree that the Destiny needs to be somewhat isolated to create suspense, and so that they aren't constantly bringing in other characters. But I would like to see our old favorite characters show up once in a while. The hologram idea seems especially interesting when you factor in the 38 minute time limit. They could be cut off from Earth, preserving the "far from home" feeling, but still have some continuity with the rest of the Stargate world.
                        Another thing that could play into the "ticking clock" issue is if the connection is broken right when the Destiny takes off for the next Stargate. That would probably sever their link, I would think, making it even less than 38 minutes. I wonder how regular these jumps are.

By the way, thanks to PG15 for the news info!
                        Indeed, a good topic since it has to do with keeping the entire "Stargate universe" alive.

That one statement that Mallozzi made does seem to be hinting at something very important with how things are for the Destiny Team and their connection to Earth. I like the idea that Earth can contact them, but the writers would definitely have to add problems with their making continued, regular connections so that we never really know when we'll see a connection with Earth again. I know that they said that they wanted SGU to be more BSG-like, but I don't think that they'll be making Destiny Team's plight too hopeless and cut off.

Just like you, I want there to be solid connections between SGU and the rest of the Stargate saga -- including seeing the SGC and favorite characters from SG-1 and SGA. It would make the show more grounded in the larger story that they have been telling over the last 12 years.

Comment

Another thing that could play into the "ticking clock" issue is if the connection is broken right when the Destiny takes off for the next Stargate.I wonder how regular these jumps are.
                          I'm hoping that the ship will stay in one place for periods of at least 24 hours so the crew can go down to planets and have some adventures while looking for supplies or whatever. It will get very tedious if the suspense is solely on the lines of "You have two hours to grab some food. Make sure you're back by then otherwise you'll be stranded." (It's also going to become very tedious if the main suspense in any adventure concerns them getting back to the ship in time so they don't get stranded.)

Maybe the people back home could never work out a contact system where there's a guaranteed 38 minutes because of how the ship operates. If, for example, it comes across a planet which has suffered some kind of major natural disaster since a Stargate was planted (hit by a giant meteor or a super volcano erupted) it doesn't stay long.

Just like you, I want there to be solid connections between SGU and the rest of the Stargate saga -- including seeing the SGC and favorite characters from SG-1 and SGA. It would make the show more grounded in the larger story that they have been telling over the last 12 years.
                          I'm hoping for some connection to SG1 and SGA because SGU is supposed to take place in the same fictional universe. If all we're getting is Stargates on alien planets to justify having the word 'Stargate' in the series title I'm going to be very annoyed. At the very least I want to learn some more about Ancients if the Earth people are on the exploration ship. What did Ancients at this particular point in their history like to do in their spare time? The ship could be equipped with recreational facilities so the Earth crew can discover things on the lines of Ancient music, movies, games etc. Limited contact with SGC on occasion would be even better. I'd also like to see Lorne as a member of this expedition on the grounds that he's had some experience of another galaxy. If not Lorne, Zelenka because he's had experience with Ancient technology.
                          sigpic

Comment

Maybe they will use the long range Ancient communication device from Avalon. I know it is not the same instead of appearing in reality on the board of Destiny.
                            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
                            X