This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miniseries or Movies?

I honestly would rather a nice 3/4 hour mini series once a year than a couple of stand alone movies. It can at least continue the story moving forward.

My biggest issue with the movies so far is, they are still tv and tv pretending to be a movie. Why pretend? Why can't they release a miniseries made of the budget of the two movies. They can charge twice as much for all i care.
    It gives scope to move the stories forward, which is want fans want yeah? if the movies stay like continuum where the SG1 story goes no where.. whats the point?
    Unless they actually try and do a proper movie. I think the people involved are just too used to writing and directing for tv. So they should stick with that.

Anyone else agree?

Absolutley agree.

Comment

i honestly do not think they will make more than 2 more sg1 movies. so yeah sure

Comment

mini series = 4 hrs 3 movies = 6 hrs, so u want... less? So its... more?

Movies are structured different than mini series in pacing and budget, you cant really be arguing that something thats overall shorter and cheaper is better right?

Youd be lying if u said nothing was different at the end of AoT, and continuum was just that kinda time travel story where it ends where it begins. Lets not change everything just because u dont like time travel movies.

Comment

Make a 6 hour miniseries then...

I don't have a problem with time travel stories, i just don't feel that was want i wanted from a movie.

The stories we are used to having with sg1 and sga are generally short 40 minute ones, or on going stories. I feel they are just stretching out the ones they could have told as a 40min episode in a movie. If they aren't going to try and shake things up, and just keep doing the exact same show as movies, i'd rather they then try and do longer stories, made up of smaller ones, as a miniseries.

Comment

Over in England they have a show called Torchwood. For the third season they intend on having all of 5 episodes, each an hour long aired one per night in a week. I think that kind of format would be great for SG-1 or Atlantis. A 90 minute or 2 hour mini-series episode every night or something like that. It would work beautifully, keep people happy and probably be cheaper all around.

Comment

The thing with Atlantis is that it is not a story with limits. There are no limits in this concept.
              This is a place where stories can be told over and over again. A show that could be going on for 20 years.... i mean it.
              If they manage to make 3-4 Atlantis movies per year, they might keep their fans. Considering that they'll keep the story arcs etc.
              Now if they make Atlantis movies like they did the SG1 ones, no thnk you.
              I'll agree that it seemed like they're no good in making movies for the big screen. They're fantastic in making tv shows. The movies looked like "made for tv".
              In that sence it would be perfect if they where making mini serries instead.
              I don't know how budgets work for movies etc. I guess that some 1-hour length episodes a year would cost the same as 3 2-hour movies.And it would serve the story arc better imho.
              Spoiler:
              APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
              (YEAR 0 - 100)
              "O thou Sun,
              send me as far over the earth
              as is my pleasure and thine,
              and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
              but never hear anything of bad ones,
              nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by grif View Post
                i honestly do not think they will make more than 2 more sg1 movies. so yeah sure
                Why not?

Comment

Wow, when did GateWorld become 4chan? That's downright uncalled for.
                  If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                    mini series = 4 hrs 3 movies = 6 hrs, so u want... less? So its... more?

Movies are structured different than mini series in pacing and budget, you cant really be arguing that something thats overall shorter and cheaper is better right?

Youd be lying if u said nothing was different at the end of AoT, and continuum was just that kinda time travel story where it ends where it begins. Lets not change everything just because u dont like time travel movies.
                    Well Sorry a MINI seres doesn't have a standard on HOURS for it .. But at the same time a Mini Series could be done more then the MOVIES ..

MOVIES - Taking bigger budgets to take off , as well as longer timing for planning things out ... SG-1 Movies are a good look at what I'm talking about ... It took a YEAR to Bring out two MOVIES , Yet there is nothing said about MORE MOVIES coming out any time soon .. Also with the BUDGETS they had the MOVIES still looked to much like a TV Show ... Don't get me wrong they where good movies , but they where to TV Series like then MOVIE projects ..

Mini Series - Is more like a TV episode , rather then just a nether MOVIE . It lets you really get into it rather then an hour later its done ...

I personally would rather have 2 or 3 Mini Series rather then 3 movies a year ... It would be made for TV and would still sell , as well as it would still give us MORE time or hours then 3 MOVIE a year ...

3 Movies = 6 Hours

2 Mini Series = 8 Hours
                    3 Mini Series = 12 Hours

Big Difference in that one ..

And heck most Mini Series cast the same as ONE MOVIE as far as the Budget Goes ..

Comment

Miniseries: One, long story told in two or more parts.
                      Movies: Multiple Stories

I'd rather have movies. I prefer variety over soap opera.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                        Miniseries: One, long story told in two or more parts.
                        Movies: Multiple Stories

I'd rather have movies. I prefer variety over soap opera.
                        Who said they have to STOP at one Mini Series a year .. The coast of Mini Series is about the same as a MOVIE ... The could do just as many Mini Series as MOVIES each year ...

Comment

A miniseries would be equal to making several movies. Let's say a miniseries features three or four 90-minute episodes. That'd be the same as three or four movies. I'd rather have three or four individual stories than one, long, drawn out story. I prefer variety over soap opera. Besides, most miniseries I've seen have been filled with pointless material to make the story longer when it could have easilly be condensed into a single movie. The best length I've seen for a mini-series is a pair of 90-minute movies which is structured as a three-hour movie split into two halves.

Comment

I much prefer the miniseries route. The story gets more filled out and doesn't feel nearly so rushed. I'd prefer to have one long story that you can really get into rather than two or three 90min movies heavy on the action and thin on the plot.
                            - Life after Stargate -
                            Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                            Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                            sigpic

Comment

The movies were long enough. Stretching a third story into a miniseries just weights it down with pointless filler. About 100 minutes is plenty of time to tell the story.

Comment

Working...
                              X