PDA

View Full Version : Miniseries or Movies?

Grinspoon
August 27th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I honestly would rather a nice 3/4 hour mini series once a year than a couple of stand alone movies. It can at least continue the story moving forward.

My biggest issue with the movies so far is, they are still tv and tv pretending to be a movie. Why pretend? Why can't they release a miniseries made of the budget of the two movies. They can charge twice as much for all i care.
It gives scope to move the stories forward, which is want fans want yeah? if the movies stay like continuum where the SG1 story goes no where.. whats the point?
Unless they actually try and do a proper movie. I think the people involved are just too used to writing and directing for tv. So they should stick with that.

Anyone else agree?

Miroslav
August 27th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Absolutley agree. :)

grif
August 28th, 2008, 02:16 AM
i honestly do not think they will make more than 2 more sg1 movies. so yeah sure

kymeric
August 28th, 2008, 04:09 AM
mini series = 4 hrs 3 movies = 6 hrs, so u want... less? So its... more?

Movies are structured different than mini series in pacing and budget, you cant really be arguing that something thats overall shorter and cheaper is better right?

Youd be lying if u said nothing was different at the end of AoT, and continuum was just that kinda time travel story where it ends where it begins. Lets not change everything just because u dont like time travel movies.

Grinspoon
August 28th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Make a 6 hour miniseries then...

I don't have a problem with time travel stories, i just don't feel that was want i wanted from a movie.

The stories we are used to having with sg1 and sga are generally short 40 minute ones, or on going stories. I feel they are just stretching out the ones they could have told as a 40min episode in a movie. If they aren't going to try and shake things up, and just keep doing the exact same show as movies, i'd rather they then try and do longer stories, made up of smaller ones, as a miniseries.

Killjoy_Zero
August 28th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Over in England they have a show called Torchwood. For the third season they intend on having all of 5 episodes, each an hour long aired one per night in a week. I think that kind of format would be great for SG-1 or Atlantis. A 90 minute or 2 hour mini-series episode every night or something like that. It would work beautifully, keep people happy and probably be cheaper all around.

Ikaros
August 28th, 2008, 09:08 AM
The thing with Atlantis is that it is not a story with limits. There are no limits in this concept.
This is a place where stories can be told over and over again. A show that could be going on for 20 years.... i mean it.
If they manage to make 3-4 Atlantis movies per year, they might keep their fans. Considering that they'll keep the story arcs etc.
Now if they make Atlantis movies like they did the SG1 ones, no thnk you.
I'll agree that it seemed like they're no good in making movies for the big screen. They're fantastic in making tv shows. The movies looked like "made for tv".
In that sence it would be perfect if they where making mini serries instead.
I don't know how budgets work for movies etc. I guess that some 1-hour length episodes a year would cost the same as 3 2-hour movies.And it would serve the story arc better imho.

jenks
August 28th, 2008, 01:42 PM
i honestly do not think they will make more than 2 more sg1 movies. so yeah sure

Why not?

Jeff O'Connor
August 28th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Wow, when did GateWorld become 4chan? That's downright uncalled for.

-PITBULL-
August 29th, 2008, 06:19 PM
mini series = 4 hrs 3 movies = 6 hrs, so u want... less? So its... more?

Movies are structured different than mini series in pacing and budget, you cant really be arguing that something thats overall shorter and cheaper is better right?

Youd be lying if u said nothing was different at the end of AoT, and continuum was just that kinda time travel story where it ends where it begins. Lets not change everything just because u dont like time travel movies.

Well Sorry a MINI seres doesn't have a standard on HOURS for it .. But at the same time a Mini Series could be done more then the MOVIES ..

MOVIES - Taking bigger budgets to take off , as well as longer timing for planning things out ... SG-1 Movies are a good look at what I'm talking about ... It took a YEAR to Bring out two MOVIES , Yet there is nothing said about MORE MOVIES coming out any time soon .. Also with the BUDGETS they had the MOVIES still looked to much like a TV Show ... Don't get me wrong they where good movies , but they where to TV Series like then MOVIE projects ..

Mini Series - Is more like a TV episode , rather then just a nether MOVIE . It lets you really get into it rather then an hour later its done ...

I personally would rather have 2 or 3 Mini Series rather then 3 movies a year ... It would be made for TV and would still sell , as well as it would still give us MORE time or hours then 3 MOVIE a year ...

3 Movies = 6 Hours

2 Mini Series = 8 Hours
3 Mini Series = 12 Hours

Big Difference in that one ..

And heck most Mini Series cast the same as ONE MOVIE as far as the Budget Goes ..

Daniel Jackson
August 29th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Miniseries: One, long story told in two or more parts.
Movies: Multiple Stories

I'd rather have movies. I prefer variety over soap opera.

-PITBULL-
August 29th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Miniseries: One, long story told in two or more parts.
Movies: Multiple Stories

I'd rather have movies. I prefer variety over soap opera.

Who said they have to STOP at one Mini Series a year .. The coast of Mini Series is about the same as a MOVIE ... The could do just as many Mini Series as MOVIES each year ...

Daniel Jackson
August 30th, 2008, 08:29 AM
A miniseries would be equal to making several movies. Let's say a miniseries features three or four 90-minute episodes. That'd be the same as three or four movies. I'd rather have three or four individual stories than one, long, drawn out story. I prefer variety over soap opera. Besides, most miniseries I've seen have been filled with pointless material to make the story longer when it could have easilly be condensed into a single movie. The best length I've seen for a mini-series is a pair of 90-minute movies which is structured as a three-hour movie split into two halves. :)

Killdeer
August 30th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I much prefer the miniseries route. The story gets more filled out and doesn't feel nearly so rushed. I'd prefer to have one long story that you can really get into rather than two or three 90min movies heavy on the action and thin on the plot.

Daniel Jackson
August 30th, 2008, 08:48 AM
The movies were long enough. Stretching a third story into a miniseries just weights it down with pointless filler. About 100 minutes is plenty of time to tell the story. :)

-PITBULL-
August 30th, 2008, 09:51 AM
The movies were long enough. Stretching a third story into a miniseries just weights it down with pointless filler. About 100 minutes is plenty of time to tell the story. :)

WOW , so before SG-1 was canned by SciFi , people LOVED the LONGER PLOTS , and now that MGM is making movies , everyone wants shorter plots .. WOW , i would think you would want a longer plot to enjoy the story rather then have a 90 min movie with 5 mins of it filled with some kind of action ...

Remember SG-A is going to take this route as well . So you can forget about having some of the loose ends answered for you ...

Daniel Jackson
August 30th, 2008, 10:31 AM
WOW , so before SG-1 was canned by SciFi , people LOVED the LONGER PLOTS
I wasn't one of them. I prefer individual episodes and story arcs lasting 2-5 episodes in a row. My favorite story arcs are individual episodes that get followed up on later on in the season. Apophis is a good example of this. You only see him a few times a year, and each episode has several non-Apophis episodes in between except for two-parters. That's the type of arc I like. In Season 9, the show was far too focused on the Ori. Season 10 was much better, more stand-alones.

and now that MGM is making movies , everyone wants shorter plots ..
That's because they are movies. Movies have far less time to tell a story than an ongoing TV show. Of coarse I expect shorter stories.

i would think you would want a longer plot to enjoy the story
If SG-1 had not been cancelled, then yes... I would want a story arc. However, this isn't a TV series, it's a movie series. When I watch a film series, I expect each movie to have it's own story.

rather then have a 90 min movie with 5 mins of it filled with some kind of action ...
Both SG-1 movies were filled with action. :confused:

Remember SG-A is going to take this route as well . So you can forget about having some of the loose ends answered for you ...
Really? The Ark of Truth tied up the Ori. Continuum tied up Ba'al. I fully expect the Atlantis movie to tie up loose ends. Will it be the show's finale? No, because they want to make a second movie if it does well. Will it resolve a story arc? Probably not, because they want it to stand on it's own so someone who did not watch the show can enjoy it. What I do expect from the movie is to resolve something from the show in a story that stands on it's own. It could, for example, feature the defeat of the Wraith. They could revisit AsurWeir. You get the idea.

-PITBULL-
August 30th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I wasn't one of them. I prefer individual episodes and story arcs lasting 2-5 episodes in a row. My favorite story arcs are individual episodes that get followed up on later on in the season. Apophis is a good example of this. You only see him a few times a year, and each episode has several non-Apophis episodes in between except for two-parters. That's the type of arc I like. In Season 9, the show was far too focused on the Ori. Season 10 was much better, more stand-alones.So you do like the STORY ARKS that last longer .. MOVIES can't support FILLERS ... Meaning you get 45 minsof getting to the PLOT and a nether 45 Mins of figuring out how to take care of there problem ... Not a very good story telling time line ...

That's because they are movies. Movies have far less time to tell a story than an ongoing TV show. Of coarse I expect shorter stories.
Yeah and a MINI series is more of a shorter STORY TELLING TIMELINE then a TV Series ... You have 3 or 4 days to tell the story rather then 20 days or eps...

If SG-1 had not been cancelled, then yes... I would want a story arc. However, this isn't a TV series, it's a movie series. When I watch a film series, I expect each movie to have it's own story.
SG-1 as a TV Show was canned , but SG-1 wasn't . They turned it into something bigger , and seeing how the SG-1 MOVIES will never see the BIG SCREEN . They should turn it in to a Mini Series story ark ..

Both SG-1 movies were filled with action. :confused:
WOW , Really . I feel that both SG-1 MOVIES where good , but nether one of them where FILLED with action , heck i've seen more action in a DISNEY cartoon then those two movies ..

Really? The Ark of Truth tied up the Ori. Continuum tied up Ba'al. I fully expect the Atlantis movie to tie up loose ends. Will it be the show's finale? No, because they want to make a second movie if it does well. Will it resolve a story arc? Probably not, because they want it to stand on it's own so someone who did not watch the show can enjoy it. What I do expect from the movie is to resolve something from the show in a story that stands on it's own. It could, for example, feature the defeat of the Wraith. They could revisit AsurWeir. You get the idea.Heck you better think again , cause TPTB have already said that the SG-A movies will not tie up any loose ends with in the SHOW .. So forget them killing off the Wraith and having the Pegasus galaxy free to grow to a power house to help out the MW galaxy when we need them ...

As for SG-1 , yeah AoT did tie up the Ori story ark , how lame ... Then ended a story ark that took 2 seasons to build up in a 90 min movie ... Where they could have done a 3 or 4 day Mini Series at 2 hours a show filled with more action and more story to it ( Meaning more info about the ancients ) ...

Now Continuum was good as for tying up loose ends with ba'al but come on the only real action we say in that who movie was a few mins of some dog fights .. Really that isn't allot of action if you ask me , and R.D.A's role in the whole movie was short coming , and not a big thing of HIM taking out Ba'al .. I would have like to have seen Jack been the one to take him out for good ...

As for future movies with SG-1 , yeah there going to be stand alone MOVIES , but there are so many loose ends with in SG-1 that they could tie up a few of these story arks with a few mini series first ... Then get to the standalone story telling ...

Daniel Jackson
August 30th, 2008, 02:25 PM
So you do like the STORY ARKS that last longer .. MOVIES can't support FILLERS ... Meaning you get 45 minsof getting to the PLOT and a nether 45 Mins of figuring out how to take care of there problem ... Not a very good story telling time line ...
Yes, I like story arcs in the context of a TV series. This is because you can tell so many stories. You can have multiple story arcs and multiple stand-alone stories. A miniseries only allows for one story. A film series, ammounting to the same number of hours as a miniseries, allows for two or more stories. Sure, the SG-1 movies could have been two hours, but the producers seem content with about 90-100 minutes per film. Personally, I prefer movies over television. Exceptions include Star Trek, Stargate, Firefly, Terminator (TV series), and that's it.

Yeah and a MINI series is more of a shorter STORY TELLING TIMELINE then a TV Series ... You have 3 or 4 days to tell the story rather then 20 days or eps...
Don't get me wrong. If it's miniseries or no continuation at all, then I'm up for a miniseries. However, if it's miniseries or two or more movies... I'd rather have movies.

SG-1 as a TV Show was canned , but SG-1 wasn't . They turned it into something bigger , and seeing how the SG-1 MOVIES will never see the BIG SCREEN . They should turn it in to a Mini Series story ark ..
I much prefer movies, thankyou. :)

WOW , Really . I feel that both SG-1 MOVIES where good , but nether one of them where FILLED with action , heck i've seen more action in a DISNEY cartoon then those two movies ..
There was plenty of action for me. :)

Heck you better think again , cause TPTB have already said that the SG-A movies will not tie up any loose ends with in the SHOW .. So forget them killing off the Wraith and having the Pegasus galaxy free to grow to a power house to help out the MW galaxy when we need them ...
They said Continuum would be a stand-alone, and it really wasn't... They've said many things that turned out quite differently in the finished production.

As for SG-1 , yeah AoT did tie up the Ori story ark , how lame ... Then ended a story ark that took 2 seasons to build up in a 90 min movie ... Where they could have done a 3 or 4 day Mini Series at 2 hours a show filled with more action and more story to it ( Meaning more info about the ancients ) ...
They finished the Goa'uld arc with two 42-minute episodes. What's wrong with finishing the Ori arc with a 102-minute movie?

Now Continuum was good as for tying up loose ends with ba'al but come on the only real action we say in that who movie was a few mins of some dog fights .. Really that isn't allot of action if you ask me , and R.D.A's role in the whole movie was short coming , and not a big thing of HIM taking out Ba'al .. I would have like to have seen Jack been the one to take him out for good ...
Oh, so by action... you mean uber-kewl space battles? I don't care about that. RDA's role in the movie was plenty. General O'Neill is there for the beginning and end. Colonel O'Neill in the alternate timeline wants nothing to do with SG-1, showing how bad the situation was. That was plenty of O'Neill in regards to the story being told. I would have liked to see Jack kill Ba'al as well, but Mitchell killing Ba'al... worked for me.

As for future movies with SG-1 , yeah there going to be stand alone MOVIES , but there are so many loose ends with in SG-1 that they could tie up a few of these story arks with a few mini series first ... Then get to the standalone story telling ...
What loose ends needed to be tied up besides the Ori and Ba'al? All I can think of is the Goa'uld Trust, which I suspect may be featured in the third movie. This can be done as a stand-alone movie.

-PITBULL-
August 30th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Don't get me wrong. If it's miniseries or no continuation at all, then I'm up for a miniseries. However, if it's miniseries or two or more movies... I'd rather have movies.

That is what im talking about ... Having a Mini Series ,instead of a MOVIE .... Have the mini series take the place of the MOVIES .. I wouldn't want it to be one where at the end it says to be continue , but rather instead of it coming start to DVD it would air on TV first , say Friday , Saturday and Sunday thing first on SciFi and then with in a week you have the DVD release of the Mini Series with the Extras and stuff .. This way SciFi gets the ratings and MGM gets the sales ..

They finished the Goa'uld arc with two 42-minute episodes. What's wrong with finishing the Ori arc with a 102-minute movie?

I don't see who the Goa'uld story ark was finished in a 42 min episode where the Goa'uld where there in the begging and even had to have a MOVIE to kill the last of the Goa'uld in the MW galaxy .. So lets see 8 Years of battling all the goa'uld , and a 90 min movie to kill the last of them . Where the Ori say a battle for 2 years and a 90 min movie ... WOW i just don't see it ...

Oh, so by action... you mean uber-kewl space battles? I don't care about that. RDA's role in the movie was plenty. General O'Neill is there for the beginning and end. Colonel O'Neill in the alternate timeline wants nothing to do with SG-1, showing how bad the situation was. That was plenty of O'Neill in regards to the story being told. I would have liked to see Jack kill Ba'al as well, but Mitchell killing Ba'al... worked for me.

Yes i do want BIG space battles , this is a SciFI movie with a bigger budget then the TV series had , yet the TV series had more space battles then other of the movies had .. As for R.D.A role , sorry if thats all you want R.D.A for is hes name then he should show up in every movie for 2 seconds , stand there and say hi and let the rest of the cast do battle with everything else ...

What loose ends needed to be tied up besides the Ori and Ba'al? All I can think of is the Goa'uld Trust, which I suspect may be featured in the third movie. This can be done as a stand-alone movie.

Let see ...

Season 1.

Fire and Water , where we meet that Alien ... We never heard a word about him or his race again ..

The Torment of Tantalus , Where they find out about the Four Great Races .. Nothing was every said about there Alliance or came from there Alliance ... Yeah we meet the Nox's and the Asgard's , but never the Furling's or any more outpost that would deal with this alliance ..

Season 2.

Spirits , where they meet that race of indians , and that other advanced alien race .. Who where they , have we visited them ever again .???

Season 3.

Crystal Skulls , This one really needs to explained .. Who is that alien race , where did they come from and now that there is no goa'uld out there can we please see them again ...

That is just a few of them that should be revisited with in the SG-1 Show .. stuff that needs to be explained and not just by fans , but by the writers ..

Daniel Jackson
August 30th, 2008, 08:10 PM
That is what im talking about ... Having a Mini Series ,instead of a MOVIE .... Have the mini series take the place of the MOVIES ..
I understand that, but movies is what we have, and that won't change. The next SG-1 story will be a movie, not a miniseries. The same goes for Atlantis.

I wouldn't want it to be one where at the end it says to be continue , but rather instead of it coming start to DVD it would air on TV first , say Friday , Saturday and Sunday thing first on SciFi and then with in a week you have the DVD release of the Mini Series with the Extras and stuff .. This way SciFi gets the ratings and MGM gets the sales ..
I understand the way a miniseries works. I dislike the concept. The only good one I've seen is Band of Brothers, but that played out more as a one-season TV show than a miniseries. Does a two-episode miniseries count as a miniseries or two movies? :confused:

I don't see who the Goa'uld story ark was finished in a 42 min episode
I didn't say that. I said TWO 42-minute episodes. The Goa'uld's empire didn't come to an end until "Reckoning, Parts 1 & 2." Ba'al was still a threat to Earth, but he was no longer a galactic threat.

where the Goa'uld where there in the begging and even had to have a MOVIE to kill the last of the Goa'uld in the MW galaxy .. So lets see 8 Years of battling all the goa'uld , and a 90 min movie to kill the last of them.
Eight years of fighting the Goa'uld, two 42-minute episodes where the Goa'uld are defeated by the Replicators. Ba'al's just one alien. That's hardly an empire. One movie was more than enough for him to be killed off. Really, they could have offed him for good in "Dominion," but Continuum was better.

Where the Ori say a battle for 2 years and a 90 min movie ... WOW i just don't see it ...
The Ori were more powerful than the Goa'uld System Lords, but they were fewer in numbers. All SG-1 had to deal with was Priors, soldiers, and rediculously powerful starships. In "The Shroud," Merlin's weapon wiped out the Ori. In "Dominion," Adria ascended. All they had to do was shine the Ark of Truth on a prior in the Ori galaxy and a Prior in the Milky Way galaxy. This takes away Adria's power, allowing her to be defeated. The priors and soldiers go home in shame. The end. A 102-minute movie was plenty of time to tell that story.

Yes i do want BIG space battles , this is a SciFI movie with a bigger budget then the TV series had , yet the TV series had more space battles then other of the movies had ..
I don't care about big space battles. If the story calls for it, great. If not, I'll pass. Besides, there were big space battles. The Odyssey got hammered in The Ark of Truth. Goa'uld ships hammered Earth in Continuum. Seeing as Earth had no ships in the alternate timeline, the closest we'd get to a space battle is Goa'uld death gliders taking on Air Force jets.

As for R.D.A role , sorry if thats all you want R.D.A for is hes name then he should show up in every movie for 2 seconds , stand there and say hi and let the rest of the cast do battle with everything else ...
I didn't say that was all I wanted. I said I was satisfied. There's a difference. I would have liked to see more, but honestly... three scenes was enough for me. He's in the movie for a good 10-15 minutes. Hardly two seconds. Further, he didn't stand by while SG-1 fought to fix the timeline. He was killed by Ba'al after being sent into a fit of rage by the vanishing of Vala and Teal'c.

Fire and Water: This was a stand-alone episode. There is no need to follow up on this.
The Torment of Tantalus: The Ancients, Asgard, and Nox were all followed up on. The alliance ended long ago, so there was no need to explore that. The only loose end is the Furlings. Will we see them? The producers don't seem to care. However, I'd love to see them as good aliens who went bad. Alternatively, they could simply be extinct. There ya go, loose end resolved.
Spirits: This was a stand-alone episode. There is no need to follow up on this.
Crystal Skulls: This was a stand-alone episode. There is no need to follow up on this.

Every TV show has unresolved stories like the ones you presented. However, since they are stories from single episodes... sometimes, we're left with a mystery. What's wrong with that?

do not freeze
August 30th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I honestly would rather a nice 3/4 hour mini series once a year than a couple of stand alone movies. It can at least continue the story moving forward.

My biggest issue with the movies so far is, they are still tv and tv pretending to be a movie. Why pretend? Why can't they release a miniseries made of the budget of the two movies. They can charge twice as much for all i care.
It gives scope to move the stories forward, which is want fans want yeah? if the movies stay like continuum where the SG1 story goes no where.. whats the point?
Unless they actually try and do a proper movie. I think the people involved are just too used to writing and directing for tv. So they should stick with that.

Anyone else agree?

Yeah I agree. This is actually a much better idea.

flea247
September 6th, 2008, 05:42 AM
i think a mini series is a good idea. the movies although i loved them did seem to be more like dragged out tv eps. i think a mini series would be good in that we could have more detail and not have to skip over things as much as they did in the movies.
one mini series per year and id be satisfied!

Ikaros
September 6th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Yeahh me to. At least one mini -serries a year would be great, if there is nothing to be done to change their mind about the cancellation.
10mini serries episodes would make me really happy.So many things can happen in this amazing city.

1LostFurling
September 6th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I would prefer to see a mini-series, as I am sure Skiffy would prefer so as well. I agree that perhaps a movie on a grander scale every year to every two years along with an annual two week mini-series would be a great way to continue this franchise.

When Taken was aired several years ago I thought that was a great way to broadcast a series. But alas, economics needs to factor in here as well and let's face it, no one has yet figured out how to make broadcast TV profitable enough. That's why we're getting direct to DVD movies.

Daniel Jackson
September 7th, 2008, 11:13 AM
10-episode miniseries with two-hour episodes? Not going to happen. How is ten two-hour episodes any different from twenty one-hour episodes? That would be the exact same thing as a new season, which is not going to happen. The show's over. Let it go. We'll get a few movies. That's all we're going to get.

Also keep in mind that if they did a miniseries, there wouldn't be movies. We can't have both. It's one or the other. A miniseries gives us one story. Movies give us multiple stories. I'd rather have movies. I don't like serials.

quade_1
September 17th, 2008, 06:51 AM
wouldn't it be better if they did mini series instead of movies?? like 4 - 1hour episodes. it would still bring in the revenue they want, and it would give the fans the extra 2 hours of storyline and character development over the movie format??

I personally think they are waiting to see how High School Musical 3 does in the box office, and maybe they are going to move Stargate to the big screen. I know it sounds stupid, but Stargate is following the same strategy. Small budget direct to dvd movies, see how well they are recieved, and then step it up. its not like MGM will say no, aside from 007, Stargate is their longest running revenue, they would love to bring it to the big screen and increase their profits.

The6thRace
September 17th, 2008, 07:15 AM
It probably just hasn't been explored yet. There is only so much the team can do, and they are keeping a good pace in my opinion of releasing new content. 1 new season plus 1 movie a year is about the best and most realistic expectations we should have of them if they expect to maintain a good standard for episodes and movies. I don't think they have the resources to spread themselves out a lot more.

Mike1989
September 17th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Not a fan of mini series to be honest. I can see the appeal behind them as they give 4 hours rather than 2, but I'd rather see them focus upon getting SGU right rather than seeing any more movies.

Browncoat1984
September 17th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Why would they waiting to see how High School Musical 3 does when that has no relation to Stargate? If anything, I would think that they would look at how The X-Files did and how Star Trek will do next year.

quade_1
September 17th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Why would they waiting to see how High School Musical 3 does when that has no relation to Stargate? If anything, I would think that they would look at how The X-Files did and how Star Trek will do next year.

Star Trek has a much larger fanbase, and with J.J. Abrams doing the movie, I doubt Stargate could compete. The X-Files bombed big time, but that is also because they had 1 previous movie about 10 years ago. I am not a fan but from what i recall they didn't do so well after moving production to Kawleefornea, and lost alot of viewers.

HSM on the other hand, although in the total opposite direction plot wise. Has similar numbers, approx $8M budget per movie, both have had 2 direct to dvd movies and both have a medium to large fanbase.

katikatnik
September 18th, 2008, 03:14 AM
I was thinking the same. If they went with SG-1 movies, SGA miniseries (could air while SGU was on hiatus) and SGU regular series, they would have all the bases covered and there would be much more variety to the franchise.

Khentkawes
September 18th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Because it would cost more money. And TPTB are already spreading themselves rather thin trying to develop three projects at once (SGA movie, SG-1 movie, and SGU season 1).

Honestly, I think a mini series would be great, but they would need a pretty significant story arc to use for a four hour mini series. And I just don't think they have the extra cash flow at the moment.

Plus, Peacekeeper Wars set an unbeatable standard in the mini series department. ;)

Pharaoh Atem
September 18th, 2008, 03:11 PM
more money in dvd sales then ads on tv

quade_1
September 21st, 2008, 02:43 PM
more money in dvd sales then ads on tv

MGM doesn't make any money from the TV ads. the only thing they get is the royalties from the SciFi contract and syndications. which isn't that much comapred to DVD sales.

Ikaros
November 25th, 2008, 04:46 AM
wouldn't it be better if they did mini series instead of movies?? like 4 - 1hour episodes. it would still bring in the revenue they want, and it would give the fans the extra 2 hours of storyline and character development over the movie format??

I personally think they are waiting to see how High School Musical 3 does in the box office, and maybe they are going to move Stargate to the big screen. I know it sounds stupid, but Stargate is following the same strategy. Small budget direct to dvd movies, see how well they are recieved, and then step it up. its not like MGM will say no, aside from 007, Stargate is their longest running revenue, they would love to bring it to the big screen and increase their profits.

Yes mini series would be great. There are so many stories left to be told.
The consept of Atlantis is really full of potential stories. Propably 4 episodes wouldn't be enough either.

November 25th, 2008, 04:50 AM
mine series would bring in the possibilies of cliffhangers!! 4 episode arcs and stand alones! dvd revenue would be better becuase they could justifiably charge slightly more for a mini series than a movie! and that would be alongside doubled advertising revenue!! it would keep the fans happy! and they could justify lowere episode budgets because the cost would be spread over more episodes!

Ikaros
November 25th, 2008, 04:59 AM
10-episode miniseries with two-hour episodes? Not going to happen. How is ten two-hour episodes any different from twenty one-hour episodes? That would be the exact same thing as a new season, which is not going to happen. The show's over. Let it go. We'll get a few movies. That's all we're going to get.

Also keep in mind that if they did a miniseries, there wouldn't be movies. We can't have both. It's one or the other. A miniseries gives us one story. Movies give us multiple stories. I'd rather have movies. I don't like serials.

As long it's movies and not "movie".....

the fifth man
December 2nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
Miniseries, movies, it doesn't much matter to me. What really matters to me is that we continue to get more of SG-1 and Atlantis. That is what I see as really important.

Ikaros
December 5th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Miniseries, movies, it doesn't much matter to me. What really matters to me is that we continue to get more of SG-1 and Atlantis. That is what I see as really important.

So true..

poundpuppy29
December 5th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I much prefer the miniseries route. The story gets more filled out and doesn't feel nearly so rushed. I'd prefer to have one long story that you can really get into rather than two or three 90min movies heavy on the action and thin on the plot.
I agree