This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest problems with AOT and Continuum

They simply are not long enough. They clock in at about 98 min. It's two episodes. I think everyone would agree that these movies are great, yet lack something. I do believe the stories behind each are great! However, It feels cramped. I do realize it's roughly the same as about two episodes. I'm just wondering how much more money it would be to run them a bit longer. Say, 120 minutes. There are just so many damned characters that we all love. + I dig Maj. Davis. (he should be a regular on SGU - he's great IMO) I'm not much of a "budgeter" but how much would an extra 20 minutes of non-visual effects character development cost? I def feel time in stargate command is gone, and there is not much build up to the actual story itself, they just sort of jump right in.

98 minutes really isn't that short for a movie these days. As for how much more it would cost for longer, well it means more shooting days, so... a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by directinglegend View Post
      They simply are not long enough.
      I agree, AOT was season 11 crammed into 2 episodes. don't get me wrong, i liked AOT alot, but all the charcters (including main cast) seemed only to have bit part's when i watched it the first time. a prime example is julian sands, how many lines of dialouge did he have?!

1) your gods cannot save you now
      2) enim lupin pernium pravis intus (over and over)
      3)forgive me for i was blind but now i see.

Adria was another character i felt wasn't in it enough,

granted Morena Baccarin and Julian Sands did have scenes that were not filmed, due to actor availabilty, with SG1 + Tomin, and i thought the lack of those scenes let the movie down, and would be a great additon to the story and the film itself.

Overall A good movie.

Continuum i loved, Sam, Danny, Cam, Teal's seemed to have more to do, but vala was hardly in it. she was in at the start, sat down for a while, killed Ba'al and that sums up Claudia Black's Role in the movie.

would have liked a little more of Jack, it was like

Hello, I'm General O'Niell

Hello, Now I'm Colonel O'Niell, Goodbye.

But i loved the movie, and would have liked to have scene it longer which could have been done, by giving jack and vala more to do, or more of a montage of how the 3 memebers of SG1 spent that year.
      People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

I dig Maj. Davis. (he should be a regular on SGU - he's great IMO)
        Maybe he'll finally get a promotion
        People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

They simply are not long enough. They clock in at about 98 min. It's two episodes. I think everyone would agree that these movies are great, yet lack something. I do believe the stories behind each are great! However, It feels cramped. I do realize it's roughly the same as about two episodes. I'm just wondering how much more money it would be to run them a bit longer. Say, 120 minutes. There are just so many damned characters that we all love. + I dig Maj. Davis. (he should be a regular on SGU - he's great IMO) I'm not much of a "budgeter" but how much would an extra 20 minutes of non-visual effects character development cost? I def feel time in stargate command is gone, and there is not much build up to the actual story itself, they just sort of jump right in.
          I agree! TPTB want us to pay for 4 episodes (and not the greatest ones) more than for one entire season!

Comment

guess they could of make 2 or 3 sequel to explore more of the story and show biggest space/air battles for both movies

Comment

Ok, here's the REAL biggest problem with both movies.

One of the things that made SG-1 such a great series, as well at Atlantis, is the rapid-fire pacing that each episode had. There was always something going on and rarely did you have scenes going on in the same place for a long period of time. (IMO it reminds me of The Original Series of Star Trek) There was so much "action" crammed into every episode. The movies (especially AOT) didn't keep up with that. Remember the scene with Teal'C walking through the snow covered mountains? Pretty but it would SO out of place in a TV episode and it really slowed the pacing of the movie down.

Continuum's pacing was a little better but not much. I feel like after seeing the trailer for it I saw some of the best parts of the movie. The fleet above earth was way underused.

Comment

IMHO the two films are 1 and a half ish hours is so when they are sold to the different TV networks they can add half an hours worth of adverts into it. I know this as I timed SkyOne's adverts the second time I watched AoT and low and behold, half hour of adverts. So thats an hour and half film and half hour adverts, mmmmm two hour time slot!!!!!!!!!!!
                sigpic
                Spoiler:
                McKay: Crap!

Hermiod: What did you do?

McKay: I ran it through a translation programme, it's Wraith.

Hermiod: Crap indeed!
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                O'Neall: Yasureyoubetya!

Comment

Originally posted by stargatefan234 View Post
                  would have liked a little more of Jack, it was like

Hello, I'm General O'Niell

Hello, Now I'm Colonel O'Niell, Goodbye.
                  yah totally

a 120min movie would be great

or a 3hr epic! (wishful thinking... )

Comment

My problem, echoing just about everyone, is the length. They're not so much movies as two part episodes.

In AOT, the storyline seemed a little cramped, like they had the whole Ori storyline planned out for another season, but they crammed it all into an hour and a half.

Continuum had the opposite problem. Great storyline, action sequences, and vis effects, but it seemed to drag on after they were rescued off the ice up until Baal's attack. That whole sequence could have actually been shorter, and they could have added more attention grabbing material in its place. Most of this is actually pretty minor, but the only big problem I had was that it almost felt like they didn't have enough story to finish even the relatively short hour and a half. I feel that this is why it gets slower in the middle, filler before they finish the story.

Comment

Ark of Truth: 1 Hour, 42 Minutes
                      Continuum: 1 Hour, 38 Minutes

What you call boring filler that slows the movie down; the producers call fleshing out the story, something they could not do in a TV episode.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                        98 minutes really isn't that short for a movie these days. As for how much more it would cost for longer, well it means more shooting days, so... a lot.
                        True a number of films have a running time of 98. The typically timimg for a movie is anywhere between 98-120ish min, only with some exeptions do films last longer and when the do they are a snore fest.

Originally posted by General Catflap View Post
                        IMHO the two films are 1 and a half ish hours is so when they are sold to the different TV networks they can add half an hours worth of adverts into it. I know this as I timed SkyOne's adverts the second time I watched AoT and low and behold, half hour of adverts. So thats an hour and half film and half hour adverts, mmmmm two hour time slot!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Indeed!!! Although made for DVD orignially, to have the running time at 98min makes them more tempting for networks to by the rights to becasue its easier to fit into the schedule.

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                        Ark of Truth: 1 Hour, 42 Minutes
                        Continuum: 1 Hour, 38 Minutes

What you call boring filler that slows the movie down; the producers call fleshing out the story, something they could not do in a TV episode.
                        One of the "problems" in the 42min format of TV these no time to really explore character momment to flesh out the story, unless you have story that "character based" e.g. SGA's The Shrine. That why most new shows such as Lost an Heroes have long story arcs rather than a new individual epoisode each week.

Comment

I prefer each episode having it's own story instead of being part of the arc. Arc episodes are fluff to me, unless it's a two-parter or trilogy. Arc episodes are welcome, however, if they can double as stand-alones.

Comment

Originally posted by Dugger View Post
                            Ok, here's the REAL biggest problem with both movies.

One of the things that made SG-1 such a great series, as well at Atlantis, is the rapid-fire pacing that each episode had. There was always something going on and rarely did you have scenes going on in the same place for a long period of time. (IMO it reminds me of The Original Series of Star Trek) There was so much "action" crammed into every episode. The movies (especially AOT) didn't keep up with that. Remember the scene with Teal'C walking through the snow covered mountains? Pretty but it would SO out of place in a TV episode and it really slowed the pacing of the movie down.
                            Well...yeah. It's a movie, not a TV episode.

Comment

I do think threat they would both benefit extremely from being longer. I thought they both needed a better climax too.
                              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Working...
                              X