This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't we try this?

Usually when a show is cancelled fans have a good cry about it but at the end of the day they can't do anything about it, they have no leverage.

Not so in the current situation, we do have leverage. We have SGU.

What if we all took the decision not to watch the first 4 episodes of SGU live? What if we all decided to boycott the first month of the new show? It wouldn't be such a scrifice to us, we could still Tivo/SkyPlayer/iTune the first 4 episodes and catch up with the show later.

I'm as curious to see the new show as the next guy but waiting an extra couple of weeks wouldn't be such a strain. We already have to wait the best part of year to see it, what's 4 more weeks? We certainly can all make that little sacrifice, can't we?

This wouldn't be too hard on us but it would certainly be hard on the show's ratings. It wouldn't put the show in jeopardy but it would make things a bit iffy for the announcers and the channel to know that your core audience is not gowing to watch the first episodes of your new baby.

All we have to do is show a united front, all make the decision and go around the other sites and ask the other SciFi afficionados out there (Star Trek, Farscape, Firefly, BSG etc..) i.e. the potential watchers of the new show, to show support and do the same.

Let's make a deal with the powers that be. Give us one more season of SGA, not asking for the moon, just one season (so you can tie up the loose ends PROPERLY) and we'll give SGU a fair chance. Don't renew SGA and we'll Tivo SGU's first 4 episodes and let the ratings go down the drain. If you really want to make this all about the money and cancel SGA just to make a quick buck that's fine by us. We'll hit you where it hurts, the wallet. You're the ones who are betraying the Franchise, not us.

In order to pull this off we really need numbers on our side, we need a big chunk of the online SciFi community to back us up. First step would be to set up like a "pact" thingy (like on that petition site) where people can sign on and take the oath, something like "I hereby declare that I will not watch bla bla unless SGA is bla bla"; then start spreading the word around.

If TPTB see we are really serious about this they might give us what we want. If not, well, they've been warned.

What do we say?
    Last edited by P3X-666; 27 August 2008, 08:54 PM.
    sigpic

Boycotting SGU will not bring back SGA. If SGU gets cancelled it would be a long time before we'd get another SG series, if ever.

Perfecto!

Comment

As an Aussie SGA fan, my opinions don't even count with TPTB - I don't contribute to the live ratings, so my objections to the cancellation mean zip.

I'm complaining about giving SGA another season to at least wind down properly!! A 2-hour movie is NOT going to finalise anything to anyone's satisfaction. Remember Firefly/Serenity? Talk about leaving even MORE to speculate on! Do they really believe the fans will be happy with JUST a movie? And do they also think that we'll be happy with any casting choices for SGU when our favorite Atlantis characters will not have their deserved 'last hurrah'?

I'm just disappointed that the premise for SGU is so cliched. I mean, really, how close to Star Trek Voyager does it sound? So what if it is tied into the Stargate theme? The reason I liked SGA & SG-1 so much is the link back to Earth & the plausibility of a Stargate program. It has an 'everyman' feel to it, like if you were a scientist, YOU might be part of the Atlantis team, or if YOU were a military pilot/Marine, YOU might be called up for a stint on an SG team...

A 'space opera', with an unrealistically juvenile cast, stranded on a space ship will make me as stir-crazy as the protagonists!
      sigpic
      My Manips & other artwork!

Comment

We're not boycotting SGU at all, we're just TiVoing the first couple of episodes, besides if they come back on their decision we won't have to go through with this. The ball is in their court.

It's time to wake up and smell the kassa. Now is not the time to be grasping at straws. TPTB are taking us for a ride and we all know it. You just have to read the different interviews and blogs to realise that they are trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

One producer says 2 SG1 movies, another one says 1 of each. "What about 4 movies?" "Sure why not?" Truth is, they don't have a clue what they're going to do.

The last 2 DVDs took more than 2 years from script to finished product and right now they seem to have started on only one script (Project Twilight).

They're doing all the FX in house for crying out loud, do we really think they are going to churn out 2 movies every year? I mean, come on...

Even if they did, does a movie a year replaces a whole season of SGA?

I don't think so.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P3X-666 View Post
          What if we all took the decision not to watch the first 4 episodes of SGU live? What if we all decided to boycott the first month of the new show? It wouldn't be such a scrifice to us, we could still Tivo/SkyPlayer/iTune the first 4 episodes and catch up with the show later.

This wouldn't be too hard on us but it would certainly be hard on the show's ratings. It wouldn't put the show in jeopardy but it would make things a bit iffy for the announcers and the channel to know that your core audience is not gowing to watch the first episodes of your new baby.

Let's make a deal with the powers that be. Give us one more season of SGA, not asking for the moon, just one season (so you can tie up the loose ends PROPERLY)

What do we say?
          I applaud your for your enthusiasm. However, there are a few holes in your plan.

1st...ratings are determined by a select group of people that are in the Nielson "family" and us "dies hard" fans not watching the first four eps will only hurt...US. It will have no effect on ratings and no way to reflect on the show.

2nd...we do not make deals with tptb. There only deal you and I as a viewer can make is to not BUY their stuff. Hence, no buying video games, movies, TV series on DVD's, dolls, going to cons. Ect. There is no leverage or power in our hands except in what you buy.

I for one do not buy toys, DVDs or movies. I do "buy" the privilage the watch the show by ordering the network through my cable provider. I could just cancel cable but then I would only be shooting myself in the foot by not having the network for other TV shows and movies.

I did rent the movies that came out...cause I won't buy it without seeing it first and I found neither movie was worth the 20 bucks to buy it.

3rd...there is not deals to get another season of SGA. No way it will happen no matter how many letters are written or e-mails sent. TPTB have already made thier choice. Thier choice benefits you becuase it keeps the franchise alive and going strong with another series, movies, toys, dolls, posters, cons, dvds, ect.

4th...we don't need a whole season to tie lose ends. Most of SGA is now stand alone eps in a less than concrete over all arc. The series doesn't end in a cliff hangar, there is planety of time for tptb to tie up what lose ends are left. There will be another stand alone type movie for SGA. Basically...ya got a bonus coming.

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
          Boycotting SGU will not bring back SGA. If SGU gets cancelled it would be a long time before we'd get another SG series, if ever.
          I'm sure SGU will not get canceled by a boycott when it has no affect on the ratings. We just screw ourseleves...that's all.

We're not boycotting SGU at all, we're just TiVoing the first couple of episodes, besides if they come back on their decision we won't have to go through with this. The ball is in their court.

It's time to wake up and smell the kassa. Now is not the time to be grasping at straws. TPTB are taking us for a ride and we all know it. You just have to read the different interviews and blogs to realise that they are trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

One producer says 2 SG1 movies, another one says 1 of each. "What about 4 movies?" "Sure why not?" Truth is, they don't have a clue what they're going to do.

The last 2 DVDs took more than 2 years from script to finished product and right now they seem to have started on only one script (Project Twilight).

They're doing all the FX in house for crying out loud, do we really think they are going to churn out 2 movies every year? I mean, come on...

Even if they did, does a movie a year replaces a whole season of SGA?

I don't think so.
          So, you want to boycott but you still want the show. Hmm, can't have both.

Our chioce is simple. Either watch the new series or not. It has no affect on the ratings unless you happen to be a nielson household. Boycotting, striking, picketing, mailing campiagns are all feel good measures but have no affect on the show or the outcome.

It will not get SGA one more season and will not affect the millions of viewers who do watch the upcoming series.

I will watch the series and if I love it as much as I did SG-1...my paryaers will be answered.
          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
            i agree we cant take that chance..... i cant go without my stargate for an extended period or id go insane
            STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Send bacon to Sci-fi... (bacon is the food that makes other foods taste good)

Comment

Usually when a show is cancelled fans have a good cry about it but at the end of the day they can't do anything about it, they have no leverage.

Not so in the current situation, we do have leverage. We have SGU.

I'm as curious to see the new show as the next guy but waiting an extra couple of weeks wouldn't be such a strain. We already have to wait the best part of year to see it, what's 4 more weeks? We certainly can all make that little sacrifice, can't we?

All we have to do is show a united front, all make the decision and go around the other sites and ask the other SciFi afficionados out there (Star Trek, Farscape, Firefly, BSG etc..) i.e. the potential watchers of the new show, to show support and do the same.

Let's make a deal with the powers that be. Give us one more season of SGA, not asking for the moon, just one season (so you can tie up the loose ends PROPERLY) and we'll give SGU a fair chance. Don't renew SGA and we'll Tivo SGU's first 4 episodes and let the ratings go down the drain. If you really want to make this all about the money and cancel SGA just to make a quick buck that's fine by us. We'll hit you where it hurts, the wallet. You're the ones who are betraying the Franchise, not us.

In order to pull this off we really need numbers on our side, we need a big chunk of the online SciFi community to back us up. First step would be to set up like a "pact" thingy (like on that petition site) where people can sign on and take the oath, something like "I hereby declare that I will not watch bla bla unless SGA is bla bla"; then start spreading the word around.

If TPTB see we are really serious about this they might give us what we want. If not, well, they've been warned.

What do we say?
                Unless all of you here have Nielsen's, not watching it for a month won't do a crap. LOL
                Why don't you just be glad that Stargate is not over completely? Sheesh...boycotting a network? It's entertainment. Enjoy it. Leave the boycotting for more serious life problems.

Comment

Working...
                X