PDA

View Full Version : Who wants actual aliens in Universe

Daedalus-304
August 27th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Anyone else hopes for actual Aliens in Stargate Universe? I would get annoyed if they go through the universe and all they find is human planets, or aliens that look just like humans except for a little bit of makeup.

Character
August 27th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Anyone else hopes for actual Aliens in Stargate Universe? I would get annoyed if they go through the universe and all they find is human planets, or aliens that look just like humans except for a little bit of makeup.

As long as its not pure humans, i'm fine with humanoids. I would preffer more "alien" aliens and it would make all the sense in the universe, but it all comes to the budget. And in the end of the day, what matters most is the writing, if something is writen well, it'll be fine as a humanoid alien ;)

Naonak
August 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I'm not really bothered either way when it comes to having humans or aliens, as long as it makes sense.

If they do go for mostly aliens, I think they should be humanoid like the Wraith, Serrakin, Daedalus Variations aliens, etc. Heavy prosthetics, not like a lot of later Star Trek aliens.
The only other options I can think of are CGI and puppets - CGI would be far too expensive and probably look kinda crappy, and I don't think lots of puppets would work for Stargate.

Pepermint Jaffa
August 27th, 2008, 03:13 PM

I was wondering about that. If the ancients sent an automated ship to seed galaxies with stargates, and then were going to follow later to explore, but never did, why would there be any humans on those planets?

I'm sure they could figure out some reason. My only concern not populating the planets with mostly humans is that they pull a star trek and each alien species just has a different forhead. It always kind of bugged me. I'd rather just have mostly humans than have star trek aliens. Just my preference.

_Famrir_
August 27th, 2008, 03:32 PM
didnt they say it was going to be an expensive sereis maybe this could be one of the reasons it will be so expensive

Miroslav
August 27th, 2008, 10:41 PM

You mean Asgards? :cameron: :cameron:

Grinspoon
August 27th, 2008, 11:00 PM
They'll have some excuse of its from the evolution that the ancients are from, but they didn't advance or ascend or something. Or maybe go star trek territory and have some even more ancient race seeded the galaxy so humans evolve here and there.

It'd be nice to have real aliens but its hard to do. Although Dr who has a surprisingly good and vaired amount of aliens ect. Sure there's always a somewhat comical sometimes cheap element.. but they do better than star trek did 99% of the time at being alien.

It'd be interesting you know, i wonder if they could adapt the onset motion capture like done in the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels, to put in CG aliens. Doesn't have to be cinematic quality...

-PITBULL-
August 27th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I was wondering about that. If the ancients sent an automated ship to seed galaxies with stargates, and then were going to follow later to explore, but never did, why would there be any humans on those planets?

I'm sure they could figure out some reason. My only concern not populating the planets with mostly humans is that they pull a star trek and each alien species just has a different forhead. It always kind of bugged me. I'd rather just have mostly humans than have star trek aliens. Just my preference.

The only thing it could come up with is that these SEEDING SHIP is doing more then just seeding STARGATES on the Planets ...

This Seeding Ship could also be seeding life with in the galaxies ..

ciannwn
August 28th, 2008, 01:08 AM
The only thing it could come up with is that these SEEDING SHIP is doing more then just seeding STARGATES on the Planets ...

As the Ancients never went to these galaxies to see if there was anything living in them before doing the seeding there could be a scary race which is a human/alien beastie hybrid. For some reason due to the alien beastie aspect of the genetic makeup this race is dangerous to humans. Every race in these galaxies whether human, 100% alien or a human/alien hybrid is telepathic. This will enable all communication between the Destiny crew and whoever they meet to be conducted in English.

On most of the planets the Stargate will be in an area which was suitable for the evolution of the kind of woodland found in Canada. The Ancients were very fond of this variety of woodland so wanted to make sure their exploration crews found plenty of it. The rest of the planets will resemble the desert worlds favoured by the Jaffa and one will be identical to that planet where the Wraith supply ship had crashed in 'The Defiant One'.

PS: Just thought of a few other things.

Human communities will be divided into the following -

1: Low tech societies. The humans live in medieval style villages and wear colourful, old fashioned looking clothing.

2: Medium tech socieites. The humans live in cities made out of concrete and glass and wear the kind of clothing that makes them look like executives ready for a board meeting.

3: High tech societies. Their cities will look futuristic and have an Art Deco decor. Everyone wears some kind of uniform.

One humanoid alien race will go in for long, black leather trenchcoats. Another humanoid alien race will have long white hair. We won't see a humanoid race with both, though, because they'd look too much like the Wraith.

Gollumpus
August 28th, 2008, 01:39 AM
SG1 had some non-humanoid aliens. There was those blue crystal thingees in season one, and the water creatures which were found by the Russians. Each was cheap to film so they were likely quite popular with the producers. ;)

The idea is cool, but not one which could guarantee humans on even one planet in a different galaxy. If we took ten Earths, formed them up the exact same way, with all the various ingredients for life, and left them to develop, we'd likely get ten different planets. Genetics, let alone anything else which can effect life on a planet, is a crap shoot. Mutations in one world may not occur in another. I'd be disappointed if that was used in this series.

regards,
G.

lunarleviathan
August 28th, 2008, 02:53 AM
I don't want there to be mostly human aliens either. Humanoid aliens are ok, and the more non-humanoid aliens they can pull of on the budget the better.

Planets full of humans? Been there, done that, twice.

Crazy Tom
August 28th, 2008, 06:31 AM
As long as its not pure humans, i'm fine with humanoids. I would preffer more "alien" aliens and it would make all the sense in the universe, but it all comes to the budget. And in the end of the day, what matters most is the writing, if something is writen well, it'll be fine as a humanoid alien ;)

Oh please, not the "forehead ridge" aliens again.:rolleyes:

Humanoid aliens, like the ones they have in Mass Effect, would be pereferable, the key is making sure the audience knows that's an alien and not a guy in a cosntume when they see him.

Character
August 28th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Forehead? i meant more along the lines of babylon 5, they were more or less human, but writen very well, pretty much the same for farscape, although that had coooler aliens too.
But yea, i though the ones in mass effect were very cool, atleast the 3 main ones

-PITBULL-
August 28th, 2008, 12:30 PM
SG1 had some non-humanoid aliens. There was those blue crystal thingees in season one, and the water creatures which were found by the Russians. Each was cheap to film so they were likely quite popular with the producers. ;)

The idea is cool, but not one which could guarantee humans on even one planet in a different galaxy. If we took ten Earths, formed them up the exact same way, with all the various ingredients for life, and left them to develop, we'd likely get ten different planets. Genetics, let alone anything else which can effect life on a planet, is a crap shoot. Mutations in one world may not occur in another. I'd be disappointed if that was used in this series.

regards,
G.

Yeah i understand what your saying , Line up so many planets and put the same stuff on it and see what you get .. That is true to a point ...

But your taking about Low tech , Witch would be HUMAN thinking ... We are talking about the Ancients , a race of beings that where allot smarter then us ...

They could have a device that is left on each planet to ensure that these planets grow with some kind of Human or Ancient life ..

Col.Foley
August 28th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I don't care either way.

Gollumpus
August 28th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah i understand what your saying , Line up so many planets and put the same stuff on it and see what you get .. That is true to a point ...

But your taking about Low tech , Witch would be HUMAN thinking ... We are talking about the Ancients , a race of beings that where allot smarter then us ...

They could have a device that is left on each planet to ensure that these planets grow with some kind of Human or Ancient life ..

True enough. But then, these are also the guys who couldn't figure out what to do about the Wraith, or the Asurans... :o

It hasn't been established that there is any kind of seeding of anything going on, other than stargates, so we're all just having fun chasing our tails here in the speculation game. And it IS fun. :)

I do like this concept of there being some sort of terraforming (or should I say "Alteranforming(?)"). It provides a number of potential story lines for the writers to explore.

regards,
G.

Character
August 28th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Dont know about that, they said the ship was sent to explore the universe of whats already there, not seed it with our life.

leiasky
August 28th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I really hope not. What I liked about Stargate was the original premise. That the people found on other worlds were transported there from Earth. Leave the bumpy foreheaded aliens to Star Trek.

ManiacMike
August 28th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Stargate ruined it with the aliens. Pointy ears, ridges, extra nostrils doesnt not make a good alien.

Wraith were a good concept for aliens but it got boring after a while. The Wraith monsters Michael created were good, if it wasent blatently obvious they ripped it off Aliens.

I want to see good original aliens like in the dr who series. They have TONS of aliens, and their they dont look like 70's era beetles rejects.

Infinatus
August 28th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I really hope not. What I liked about Stargate was the original premise. That the people found on other worlds were transported there from Earth. Leave the bumpy foreheaded aliens to Star Trek.

Humans on other planets makes no sense though...

On that note, bring in the really funky looking aliens! :P

jenks
August 28th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Stargate ruined it with the aliens. Pointy ears, ridges, extra nostrils doesnt not make a good alien.

Wraith were a good concept for aliens but it got boring after a while. The Wraith monsters Michael created were good, if it wasent blatently obvious they ripped it off Aliens.

I want to see good original aliens like in the dr who series. They have TONS of aliens, and their they dont look like 70's era beetles rejects.

The aliens in Dr Who are laughable though, they're mostly guys in rubber suits, you can get away with that on a children's program but it won't wash on Stargate...

ciannwn
August 29th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Wraith were a good concept for aliens but it got boring after a while.

That's because the Wraith's sole purpose is to be cannon fodder so the main characters can look like super heroes by disposing of supposedly difficult to kill alien baddies. Todd is the first Wraith who has actually been treated as a proper character because, although Michael started off as a Wraith, he isn't one now. I, for one, found this very disappointing after the way SG1 had portrayed the Goa'uld.

The aliens in Dr Who are laughable though, they're mostly guys in rubber suits, you can get away with that on a children's program but it won't wash on Stargate...

Doctor Who is for general viewing and it's as popular with adults as kids - some of us have followed the show since it first started back in 1963. The modern version is surreal, eccentric in a British sort of way and, even though it no longer has wobbly sets, we Doctor Who fans want our Cybermen, Sontarans and other aliens portrayed by men in rubber suits. It wouldn't be Doctor Who without them. We have fond memories of the BBC Quarry too -

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BBCQuarry

The ISO Standard alien planet set, as used endlessly in Blakes Seven, Doctor Who and even The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy series. It was a disused or rented quarry, full of interestingly dull rocks and fascinatingly monotonous scenery, the perfect alien-landscape-on-a-budget --

According to Gareth Thomas, who played Blake in Blake's Seven, there was one occasion when they heard noises at the other side of the quarry, and discovered Doctor Who was filming there at the same time!

Many of the quarries are no longer quarries. Its legacy lives on, however, in Smallville, Battlestar Galactica and other shows, except now it's more tree-filled and less rocky and is called Vancouver.

I found a site selling Doctor Who fan produced merchandise.

http://www.androzani.com/

One of these T-Shirts is -

Another Bloody Quarry

Get the feeling you've been here before? That's because you have! Deeply meaningful for fans of just about any classic British SF.

Text: "Another Bloody Quarry".

Even so, an alien planet which looks like a quarry is a little more likely than all alien planets across the universe looking like somewhere in Canada. If the Ancients only seeded Stargates in some galaxies it will be ludicrous if we find humans and Canadian woodland on any of the planets in SGU.

jenks
August 29th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Doctor Who is for general viewing and it's as popular with adults as kids - some of us have followed the show since it first started back in 1963. The modern version is surreal, eccentric in a British sort of way and, even though it no longer has wobbly sets, we Doctor Who fans want our Cybermen, Sontarans and other aliens portrayed by men in rubber suits. It wouldn't be Doctor Who without them. We have fond memories of the BBC Quarry too -

[...]

Why are you telling me this? And Dr Who may be enjoyed people of a wide variety of ages, but it's still very much a children's show. The writers and cast have said so repeatedly, not that it needs explaining IMO.

Johannus
August 29th, 2008, 03:41 AM
As I am a big fan of both Stargate and Dr Who (though only the recent series) I dont really think there is such a difference in the quality of the aliens. If you look at the wraith then the makeup and costumes are great but as with the sontarans on Dr Who. However, having said that, they both suffer from the same problem, they are humanoid.

The best thing about the replicators on SG1 was that they werent humanoid, I thought that made them very interesting. The same can be said for the Daleks, brilliantly not human and yet still cheap enough (in the sense of props and cgi) to be used more than once without bankrupting the show.

I would love for TPTB to spend a day sitting around brainstorming non-humanoid aliens to include in the show because I think it will make it much better and they wont have to throw in lines like 'this evolved mixing its human DNA with something else' to explain why we have more humanoids.

There have actually been a few in Stargate already (SG1: Scorched Earth, the series 1 episode with the blue crystals which I have forgotten the name of, something Lazarus I think. SGA: Hide and Seek, the Defiant One). The thing is they never bothered to explore them any more than the one episode.

ciannwn
August 29th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Why are you telling me this? And Dr Who may be enjoyed people of a wide variety of ages, but it's still very much a children's show. The writers and cast have said so repeatedly, not that it needs explaining IMO.

I wasn't telling you in particular. I was using your post as a way of comparing the Doctor Who and Stargate approaches. I'm one of those Doctor Who fans who has followed the show since 1963 - aliens being portrayed by men in rubber suits is part of what gives it its charm. As far as I'm concerned, though, this only works on a show like Doctor Who and its spin offs. Torchwood, although designed for adults, is still set in the same universe so we expect to see the same kind of aliens as in the parent series.

There is one area where Doctor Who is ahead of Stargate, though. We have yet to see bisexual and gay characters in the Stargate universe. As far as I can recall, there has only been one hint that not all inhabitants of the Stargate universe are strictly heterosexual. From Sunday -

SHEPPARD: -- are you datin’ anyone?

DEX: You mean like a woman?

SHEPPARD: Or a man. (He shrugs.)

In many ways, then, comparing Stargate and Doctor Who is like trying to compare chalk and cheese. What's considered suitable for children in Doctor Who (Captain Jack and two women who are a married couple in 'Gridlock) is something that Stargate has stayed clear of even though it isn't supposed to be a children's show which adults can enjoy too.

Stargate can get away without having bi or gay characters because they aren't essential for action adventure type sci-fi shows. It can't, however, get away with having B Movie style aliens without the viewers wincing or falling around laughing. If SGU is going to be set in galaxies where planets haven't been terraformed for human inhabitants, however, it could be a bit more believable if it adopted the BBC Quarry approach when depicting alien planets rather than using Canadian woodland.

PS:

The same can be said for the Daleks, brilliantly not human and yet still cheap enough (in the sense of props and cgi) to be used more than once without bankrupting the show.

The Daleks are brilliant. They are scary but we can still think of them affectionately as mobile pepper pots equipped with sink plungers. :) We never did get an explanation as to why the Kaleds of Skaro were 100% human, though.

Coremae
February 14th, 2010, 08:28 PM
interestingly enough, after all this banter, and booticon, we're no closer to brilliance than we were two years ago, as a matter of fact we're now going further backwards; nothing revolutionary, tis a pity i can't meet with these people to tell them my displeasure in person, alas, i'll probably have to troll scifi boards like a proper disgruntled fan of all things awesome.

DigiFluid
February 14th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I'm not interested in nose and forehead prosthetics, if that's what you mean.

Pharaoh Atem
February 14th, 2010, 08:53 PM
i want et

Coremae
February 14th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Humans on other planets makes no sense though...

On that note, bring in the really funky looking aliens! :P

perhaps aliens that ooze light from orifices with long legs and large bushy heads, and they're walking up a mountain and jumping into fiery pits, but all around are these diamonds, billions of glowing diamonds, the crew picks them up not realizing that the diamonds are the aliens after they've been burned and compressed in magma for eons, they emerge after an eruption as a diamond, a creature multifaceted with billions of dimensions within it self, this could be the creatures way of finding enlightenment within it self.

they could almost go anywhere.

Coremae
February 14th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I'm not interested in nose and forehead prosthetics, if that's what you mean.

trust your creativity, you don't need prosthetic to touch imagination, just think of nothing and them imagine everything, imagine massive machinery that mates much like something done by HR Giger's art. If you need a protagonist, how about liquid glowing beings who eats nightmares, without our nightmares, we become reckless dangerous. something anything other than, the lucian threat.

PG15
February 14th, 2010, 11:12 PM
trust your creativity, you don't need prosthetic to touch imagination, just think of nothing and them imagine everything, imagine massive machinery that mates much like something done by HR Giger's art. If you need a protagonist, how about liquid glowing beings who eats nightmares, without our nightmares, we become reckless dangerous. something anything other than, the lucian threat.

Well, beside the fact that your fancy talk doesn't consider at all the fact that we're talking about a TV show with a budget; we are getting "alien" aliens in "Space", the first episode back from the break.

EllieVee
February 15th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I found a site selling Doctor Who fan produced merchandise.

http://www.androzani.com/

One of these T-Shirts is -

Another Bloody Quarry

Get the feeling you've been here before? That's because you have! Deeply meaningful for fans of just about any classic British SF.

Text: "Another Bloody Quarry".

Oh man, I love all those t-shirts, although there's a much better 'The angels have the phone box' t-shirt (http://s2.thisnext.com/media/230x230/The-Angels-Have-the-Phone-Box_07D7678E.jpg) out there.

SGFerrit
February 15th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Well, beside the fact that your fancy talk doesn't consider at all the fact that we're talking about a TV show with a budget; we are getting "alien" aliens in "Space", the first episode back from the break.

Exactly.

If you're going to read spoilers people, you may as well read ALL of them! Then maybe you'll see there's no need to "troll scifi boards like a proper disgruntled fan of all things awesome" :)

ciannwn
February 15th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Oh man, I love all those t-shirts, although there's a much better 'The angels have the phone box' t-shirt (http://s2.thisnext.com/media/230x230/The-Angels-Have-the-Phone-Box_07D7678E.jpg) out there.

The quarry T-shirt brings back memories of the old days, though. Stargate had Canadian woodland but Doctor Who had really alien landscapes. :D

g.o.d
February 15th, 2010, 03:40 AM

do you mean the talking toilets? :)

Coremae
February 15th, 2010, 04:07 AM

i'm not talking about space shell fish, or inter galactic bio observation excuses to observe blue or green screens and say; "It appears these alien creatures are indigenous..." Big bads should be aliens from other side of universe, not (spoilers if you knew you'd barf, but still spoilers), by god we're stuck in a rut aren't we?

Coremae
February 15th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Exactly.

If you're going to read spoilers people, you may as well read ALL of them! Then maybe you'll see there's no need to "troll scifi boards like a proper disgruntled fan of all things awesome" :)

How would you respond if you were a witness to a complete and total waste of not only time, but resources to produce the most sub standard pieces of fiction. By God it's irritating to watch the same two step, over and repeatedly. The morons at Scifi, Mark Stern chiefly, boasted that they would bring on revolutionary shows after SG1's cancellation, and what were these brilliant bits of fiction? Flash Gordon and Pain Killer Jane, I almost barfed at the ludicrous filth i witnessed. Not saying that Cooper and Wright are barf worthy, but they're something worse; they're actually brilliant beyond belief. So they don't have any excuses. But by god, (spoilers), hmmm, my 6'4 310lbs self of awesomeness searches his black skin shaggy whiting beard (though i'm only 33:o), and peasy hair, to see if there is something wrong with me. Maybe it's the water, maybe it's the nassau bahamas heat, no, none of these. Oh I know, it's the fact that these morons have a playstation 3 but insist on playing pacman. Stop playing bloody pacman, we're ready for SF4, MGS4 and WAW2, maybe a bit of bayonetta to be dangerous.

Deevil
February 15th, 2010, 04:39 AM
i'm not talking about space shell fish, or inter galactic bio observation excuses to observe blue or green screens and say; "It appears these alien creatures are indigenous..."

Big Bads can be anyone they want them to be... there is no metre to measure what they have to look like.

And, can I implore people to use Spoiler Warnings not everyone is reading spoilers, so a little respect please.

Coremae
February 15th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Big Bads can be anyone they want them to be... there is no metre to measure what they have to look like.

And, can I implore people to use Spoiler Warnings not everyone is reading spoilers, so a little respect please.

i'll have to fix that, now edit your quote, we don't want spoilers being released to any unsuspecting victim, of not only bad writing but laziness, because these guys can do better, they wrote the books of awesome for crying out loud.

Deevil
February 15th, 2010, 04:52 AM
i'll have to fix that, now edit your quote, we don't want spoilers being released to any unsuspecting victim, of not only bad writing but laziness, because these guys can do better, they wrote the books of awesome for crying out loud.

Have you seen the episode yet? How do you know it isn't going to be 'awesome'? That it isn't going to make sense? Anything is possible, after all some of the episodes I was most concerned about in SG have on occasion ended up the best.

And seriously, these writers are fun - they aren't made of win in any way... I think TPTB are being a little overhyped.

Coremae
February 15th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Have you seen the episode yet? How do you know it isn't going to be 'awesome'? That it isn't going to make sense? Anything is possible, after all some of the episodes I was most concerned about in SG have on occasion ended up the best.

And seriously, these writers are fun - they aren't made of win in any way... I think TPTB are being a little overhyped.

They're awesome, trust me, I've watched everything SG several times over, and most of the time I giggle to myself thinking; "It can't get much better than this," then it does. Imagine aliens with large heads and are vision eaters, or other aliens that are essentially large eggs that looks like planets and they're waiting to be fertilized by any biological entity which becomes analogues to a sperm cell. And the resulting embryo becomes a living planet, far worse and methodical than any goa'uld. Or even better yet,

Why can't the Ancients be the bad guys. To be really out there, we can say the Wraith was an experiment by ancients who wanted to achieve ascension by sucking the life out of others, and they allowed their lab experiments to get away because they were discovered and had to flee for their lives. But through long range communication discovered the Destiny was sent to the furthest side of the universe, and boards the vessel a hundred thousand years after it was launched, but once there, they didn't have much of anything so they reprogrammed the Destiny and stayed within which ever galaxy they were in, where they continued their experiments and created all forms of hideous noxious beast. Even adapting themselves using their iratus bug serum and turned themselves into an uber form of wraith. Due to their feedings, they become wraith in a literal sense, not ascended but not human, wicked to the core, a ghost like vampire entity, who can walk through walls, use telekinesis and can transcend vast distances of space without a vessel. They're having so much fun, they decide to go into hibernation on a planet of their choosing, while their experiments evolve to a point where as they could be fun. They send the Destiny on it's way and remain there sleeping. But lo, they're awake, and it's present day, they're hungry and find a thriving alien beastial metropolis, but they begin to feed on the fiends as wraith would consume humans, but the fiends have awesome technology and fight them back, and they become ghost like and escape through the stargate on board the destiny, Everyone on Destiny sees a burst of air and foul clouds pouring through the event horizon, they don't understand, until, people start dying.

awesome second season, of course the viewers won't know it, but after a few eps of people dying mysteriously, until one of the bestial agents walks through the stargate.

i'm not brilliant, but TPTB can do infinitely better than that drivel right there, and they could make the ancients menacing and evil, hell, just look at us, we're more foul than any ancient or ori, double smelly hell, had we the powers of the ancients or ori without limits, we'd give the gods of Olympus a few tricks in wicked debauchery and inhuman excesses.

EllieVee
February 15th, 2010, 02:06 PM

I'll just point out (again) that there are loads of people who rather like SGU and think it's awesome. If it's so painful for you, why do you bother watching let alone posting in the SGU threads.

Deevil
February 15th, 2010, 03:32 PM
They're awesome, trust me.

No, I will accept that's your opinion - but trust me I think your over hyping them.

Why can't the Ancients be the bad guys.

Because, at the moment they hav decided not to make the ancients the bad guys? Mate - Ancients as bad guys has been done a few dozen times. You want something awesome? That'd be something different.

i'm not brilliant, but TPTB can do infinitely better than that drivel right there, and they could make the ancients menacing and evil, hell, just look at us, we're more foul than any ancient or ori, double smelly hell, had we the powers of the ancients or ori without limits, we'd give the gods of Olympus a few tricks in wicked debauchery and inhuman excesses.

You do remember that the ancients were, essentially, us? The Gods of Olympus were humanised too, to represent and mirror humanity. You couldn't give those Gods any lessons on any of the above.

Seriously, some of us actually like SGU and don't want your changes to take place.

jelgate
February 15th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Ancients as the bad guys? Am I the only one who remembers the Ori?

EllieVee
February 15th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Who?

Dex Luther
February 15th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I hope to have both. A nice balance between humanoid-ish and bizarre type aliens with a few combination of both. I'm kinda hoping they stumble on a Furrling planet or colony or something. We never really did get to see what they were all about except in a few simple mentions here and here.

g.o.d
February 15th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Who?

have you seen S9 and S10?

Deevil
February 15th, 2010, 10:03 PM
have you seen S9 and S10?

She was being sarcastic.

We really need a sarcasm font or something.

MattSilver 3k
February 15th, 2010, 11:06 PM
She was being sarcastic.

We really need a sarcasm font or something.

I'm thinking big flashing lights accompanied by a little sound that says, "I'm being sarcastic!" would be nice...

On to the actual thread topic, I'll note that there have been "actual" aliens in Universe, though the word "actual" is a little stretchy. Humanoid aliens are still... aliens, by the dictionary definition, so even if there are some Doctor Who-esque guys wearing plastic, I won't really care. But the fact that the two alienoids thus far are basically CGI (Though the Shriekers had a practical model or two, I think) may bode well.

jmoz
February 16th, 2010, 12:09 AM
How about some fiery lifeforms residing around a sun, in actual space, that Destiny has to go through to recharge but would disturb the habitat of said lifeforms so they have to come up with some sort of solution? Would be an interesting episode, to me.

PG15
February 16th, 2010, 01:01 AM
i'm not talking about space shell fish, or inter galactic bio observation excuses to observe blue or green screens and say; "It appears these alien creatures are indigenous..."

Yeah, I'm not talking about those things either.

I'm talking about aliens that none of us have seen.

How would you respond if you were a witness to a complete and total waste of not only time, but resources to produce the most sub standard pieces of fiction.

I'd watch something else.

But then, I am pretty weird.

Lahela
February 16th, 2010, 01:42 AM
How about some fiery lifeforms residing around a sun, in actual space, that Destiny has to go through to recharge but would disturb the habitat of said lifeforms so they have to come up with some sort of solution? Would be an interesting episode, to me.

It was a great episode... of Doctor Who ;)

EllieVee
February 16th, 2010, 01:45 AM
It was a great episode... of Doctor Who ;)

Maybe they could do weeping angels ...

AdamTM
February 16th, 2010, 04:11 AM
And seriously, some of us actually like SGU and don't want your changes to take place.

Some of us don't like SGU and want the changes to take place.
Whats your point? That some people disagree some place at some time so we should "LEAVE STARGATE UNIVERSE ALONE!!!11"

C'mon, the Stargate franchise is all grown up now, it can defend itself, it doesn't need your help.

And if it cant defend itself, it needs to change.

Deevil
February 16th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Whats your point? That some people disagree some place at some time so we should "LEAVE STARGATE UNIVERSE ALONE!!!11"

C'mon, the Stargate franchise is all grown up now, it can defend itself, it doesn't need your help.

Huh?!? What are you talking about?

Did you even know what I was talking about? Clearly the answer to the latter question is no, but the former is still up for debate. Let me know if you feel the need. If not, no harm done.

AdamTM
February 16th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Huh?!? What are you talking about?

Did you even know what I was talking about? Clearly the answer to the latter question is no, but the former is still up for debate. Let me know if you feel the need. If not, no harm done.

Yes i know what you were talking about. And incidentally i agree with Coremae, and her idea(s) isn'tt/aren't half bad.
I think the Ori were very poorly done as "evil ancient counterparts", they had so much wasted potential of subtle ambiguous evil, instead, they went for -THE DEVIL-

Q? Culture? Timelords? They all were manipulative, arrogant, selfish but at the same time helpful but in a condescending way. (actually the Culture is kind of good, but i still say the Special Circumstances COULD **** up majorly at some point. the human element ****s it up always)

Hell, even the Beyonder and the Watcher from Marvel are actually better written "omnipotent" beings than the Ancients ever were.

I want diverse sapient aliens in SG, not monsters. They can be dudes in rubber, but as long as they feel exotic and alien its fine.
Mork from Ork was a better alien than what SGU threw at us thus far

Mongoletsi
February 16th, 2010, 07:10 AM
.... Coremae, and her idea(s)

Pretty sure she is a "he", given he complains of his beard turning white ;)

chrono trigger
February 16th, 2010, 07:21 AM
sgu is a good show as it is the only thing it needs is to pick up the pace of its stories sometimes as it can be a bit slow

MattSilver 3k
February 16th, 2010, 07:25 AM
sgu is a good show as it is the only thing it needs is to pick up the pace of its stories sometimes as it can be a bit slow

Insightful AND relevant. Chrono, you've done it again!

chrono trigger
February 16th, 2010, 07:33 AM
i was only saying because people were talking about what needed to be changed on sgu

ha'tak_
February 16th, 2010, 07:33 AM

well there is no way they can make the aliens that they find in the universe human. but I´m really looking farward to see the aliens in the next episode

thekillman
February 16th, 2010, 08:00 AM
most things people want to see are dealt with in the second half

AdamTM
February 16th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Pretty sure she is a "he", given he complains of his beard turning white ;)

:< sorry

DSG1
February 16th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I liked the sand aliens, they were different. Too bad they didn't use em enough. I rather like not having a human alien every week but, that's just me. :)

Lahela
February 16th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I liked the sand aliens, they were different. Too bad they didn't use em enough. I rather like not having a human alien every week but, that's just me. :)

I'm with you, on both counts. :)

Deevil
February 16th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Yes i know what you were talking about. And incidentally i agree with Coremae, and her idea(s) isn'tt/aren't half bad.

No, you obviously don't know what I was talking about... as for Coremae's ideas - while I know he (and you) seem to like them, I do not and I am very glad he isn't part of the writing team. His ideas aren't new to Stargate, and I really don't want to see the same stuff repeated.

I think the Ori were very poorly done as "evil ancient counterparts", they had so much wasted potential of subtle ambiguous evil, instead, they went for -THE DEVIL-

So?!? For a long time the Ancients were angelic. If anything they were a great way of showing that ancients aren't really, well, good guys. Not that I loved the Ori - but I did love what it did to the team et all having to fight someone like the Ori.

Q? Culture? Timelords? They all were manipulative, arrogant, selfish but at the same time helpful but in a condescending way. (actually the Culture is kind of good, but i still say the Special Circumstances COULD **** up majorly at some point. the human element ****s it up always)

These guys could be fun but lived on the annoying side more often then not. So no, I don't think they were as great as you think they were. Hell, the Ancients were too Q like at times and it just didn't work with me.

Hell, even the Beyonder and the Watcher from Marvel are actually better written "omnipotent" beings than the Ancients ever were.

I think not.

I want diverse sapient aliens in SG, not monsters. They can be dudes in rubber, but as long as they feel exotic and alien its fine.
Mork from Ork was a better alien than what SGU threw at us thus far

Right, I get it, you want better alien's. I think the sand alien was different and interesting. The alien in Time that we only peripherally saw was also great. So - while I respect you want something else... I'm pretty happy with the alien's we have seen so far. Especially when you consider that unlike SGA and SG1 it isn't a 'alien of the week' show. For that I am very glad.

PG15
February 16th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Regarding the end of Season 1...

A lot of gripe seems to be about TPTB bringing back the LA and thinking that they're not alien enough.

Well, think of it this way: they aren't supposed to be. From the spoilers it seems that the LA won't be fulfilling the "the great wonders of the Universe" role that the sand aliens, the killer squids, and whatever the Space aliens will be, but rather they will serve as an antagonist to our crew in much the same way Telford was; they are more a part of the character study than a part of the plot.

Does that make sense?

EllieVee
February 16th, 2010, 04:01 PM

Still not getting why someone who doesn't like a show continues to watch it. Why bother.

spinny magee
February 16th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Geez this is an old fossil

g.o.d
February 16th, 2010, 09:59 PM
So?!? For a long time the Ancients were angelic. If anything they were a great way of showing that ancients aren't really, well, good guys. Not that I loved the Ori - but I did love what it did to the team et all having to fight someone like the Ori.

The ascended Ancients weren't that good a many people try to believe. Especially "The Others" were bunch of morons who did a wrong things in order to punish the ascended rebels (Orlin and Oma)

AdamTM
February 16th, 2010, 11:55 PM
No, you obviously don't know what I was talking about... as for Coremae's ideas - while I know he (and you) seem to like them, I do not and I am very glad he isn't part of the writing team. His ideas aren't new to Stargate, and I really don't want to see the same stuff repeated.

Now i don't understand you anymore.
I said his ideas weren't half bad, i did not say they wer OMFG BEST EVAH, I HOPE HE BECOMES A WRITAAAAR ON SGU!

Angelic? That stopped pretty early through SG1, most of the Ancients were stuck-up *******s just like 99% of the Q-continuum.
The whole plot around Anubis was very very interesting, BECAUSE it was so subtle power-play. Not because he was the devil and flames shot up behind him every time he talked. -___-

The whole Anubis arc was so good because it introduced Daniel into the realm of the ancients, we saw him struggle with the rules, see him grow and choose for the best of humanity. The Ori arc was just

find weapon that can kill Ori --- ??? --- profit

Mind you, i found it VERY entertaining, but it doesnt change the fact that it could have been SO.MUCH.BETTER.

These guys could be fun but lived on the annoying side more often then not. So no, I don't think they were as great as you think they were. Hell, the Ancients were too Q like at times and it just didn't work with me.

The culture was on the annoying side? WUT?
Also Q only got ****ed up in Voy, so much so that people only remember the "zomg civil war in q-continuum" but forget "Tapestry".
The Timelords never were annoying, well maybe once, im not counting the recent special, it was underwhelming, or maybe thats because i watched it having a 40°C fever, whatever

Right, I get it, you want better alien's. I think the sand alien was different and interesting. The alien in Time that we only peripherally saw was also great. So - while I respect you want something else... I'm pretty happy with the alien's we have seen so far. Especially when you consider that unlike SGA and SG1 it isn't a 'alien of the week' show. For that I am very glad.

Sand-Alien = monster, Time-worms = alien hatchling from alien = monster
Do not want!

Still not getting why someone who doesn't like a show continues to watch it. Why bother.

Because i actually like the franchise, and even though i do not enjoy SGU overall, i do enjoy singular episodes (like 3 of them).
I never found a show (maybe except for heroes) that evoked so much emotional dissonance in me in one season from episode to episode..
Its like for one episode i'm

**** YEAH! THAT WAS AWESOME!

On the next episode i'm

**** NO! WHAT A LOAD OF ****!

So i continue watching in the hopes that it will even out, or get better.
Also i decided even before SGU came out that i would watch the first season completely, to form a coherent opinion, and to give the show the chance that it deserves. My verdict has of yet not dropped if i will continue with S2, but its not looking good.

If i were to only watch the 3 pilot episodes of SGU then decide "i dont enjoy it, **** it" and came here starting a discussion, id probably get told "well obviously you didnt watch the show, it gets much better later on, also its scripted arc based, means you missed the context", but because i saw it, i can then say "**** you, not its not".

In conclusion i watch SGU because:

1.i want to get a complete opinion about SGU
2.i enjoy some episodes
3.i give the show the chance it deserves
4.i widen my horizons and stay up-to-date to the development of the franchise

Deevil
February 17th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Now i don't understand you anymore.
I said his ideas weren't half bad, i did not say they wer OMFG BEST EVAH, I HOPE HE BECOMES A WRITAAAAR ON SGU!

And I didn't say you said that. Didn't even imply it.

Angelic? That stopped pretty early through SG1, most of the Ancients were stuck-up *******s just like 99% of the Q-continuum.
The whole plot around Anubis was very very interesting, BECAUSE it was so subtle power-play. Not because he was the devil and flames shot up behind him every time he talked. -___-

It wasn't all that early in SG1 that it was established that they weren't angelic.
The Anubis storyline was far from subtle, hell, by calling him Anubis - the Egyptian God of the underworld was obviously intentional to create a 'devil' like appearance.

The whole Anubis arc was so good because it introduced Daniel into the realm of the ancients, we saw him struggle with the rules, see him grow and choose for the best of humanity. The Ori arc was just

find weapon that can kill Ori --- ??? --- profit

No, both Arc's were pretty much the same.

Mind you, i found it VERY entertaining, but it doesnt change the fact that it could have been SO.MUCH.BETTER.
Everything can be much better. There is no such thing as perfection...

The culture was on the annoying side? WUT?

Yup, very - not as annoying as Q.

Also Q only got ****ed up in Voy, so much so that people only remember the "zomg civil war in q-continuum" but forget "Tapestry".
The Q storyline was annoying when it started, Voyager can't be held responsible for Q sucking - 'cause it sucked long before that.

The Timelords never were annoying, well maybe once, im not counting the recent special, it was underwhelming, or maybe thats because i watched it having a 40°C fever, whatever
Nope, the timelords have been annoying. Not as annoying as Q but still annoying.

Do not want!

Alien... as in, something foreign and unknown. That's what they were. Whether or not you liked them does not change the fact they were alien's.

Obviously we look for different things in a show - and this is evidenced in the fact I like SGU and you do not.

Why do I manage to sur back to Gateworld just as someone posts? Bizarre.

AdamTM
February 17th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Yup, very - not as annoying as Q.

You lost all credibility with this sentence.

Game over man, game over.

gotthammer
February 17th, 2010, 01:28 AM

Hmm. Seeing as SGU is rather serious, it probably could use some facehugger loving. :D
(or, to avoid copyright issues, some Giger-esque/inspired monstrosities :D )

Cthulhu would be nice, too.

Deevil
February 17th, 2010, 03:53 AM
You lost all credibility with this sentence.

:lol: yes, because I live to make sure I am credible in your eyes... I'm so heartbroken right now I'm not, but I'll find a way to live without your respect.

Really, so damned cut-up.

AdamTM
February 17th, 2010, 04:33 AM
:lol: yes, because I live to make sure I am credible in your eyes... I'm so heartbroken right now I'm not, but I'll find a way to live without your respect.

Really, so damned cut-up.

Dry those tears man. DRY THOSE TEARS!

PG15
February 17th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Do not want!

What's not a monster to you?

kymeric
February 17th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I would like to see ACTUAL aliens in sgu, but how would you get ahold of said aliens agents? ( < >..< > )

jmoz
February 17th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I would like to see ACTUAL aliens in sgu, but how would you get ahold of said aliens agents? ( < >..< > )

Ebay.

EllieVee
February 17th, 2010, 07:35 PM

And what sort of pay would they be expecting?

Altarian Dollar? Flainian Pobble Bead? Triganic Pu?

jmoz
February 17th, 2010, 07:44 PM
And what sort of pay would they be expecting?

Altarian Dollar? Flainian Pobble Bead? Triganic Pu?

Sex....I mean probably some minerals or stuff. But knowledge and technology are usually a good medium of exchange.

EllieVee
February 17th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Sex....I mean probably some minerals or stuff. But knowledge and technology are usually a good medium of exchange.

Well, there's a lot of sex due to the total lack of money, trade, banks, art or anything else that might keep all the nonexistent people of the Universe occupied.

Deevil
February 17th, 2010, 11:41 PM

Just tell a politican they'll get free publicity. They're Alien, right?

kymeric
February 18th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Now im picturing a 30 foot tall pile of puke with tenticles looking at the director and saying "Whats my characters motivation in this scene?"

Coremae
February 18th, 2010, 05:15 PM
No, I will accept that's your opinion - but trust me I think your over hyping them.

no man, they're the dudes behind the most awesomest of awesomest ideas, and concepts ever, and they're not living up to their hype. I'm feeling like the fans of George Lucas right now.

Because, at the moment they hav decided not to make the ancients the bad guys? Mate - Ancients as bad guys has been done a few dozen times. You want something awesome? That'd be something different.

No they haven't, silly:cameron:, they've never made the Ancients evil, the Ancients aren't the Ori, since, the Ori are Ancients to their galaxy. I'm talking about our Ancients as bad guys. But 'that spoiler thing' would be awesome, maybe. And by maybe, I mean maybe in the sense of my no longer being innocent of all things sexual other than 'turning Japanese';)

You do remember that the ancients were, essentially, us? The Gods of Olympus were humanised too, to represent and mirror humanity. You couldn't give those Gods any lessons on any of the above.
No they're not us, silly:D, maybe they were us in the infancy of their evolution, but I highly doubt it. In the SG universe, humanity there and those of us in the real world, are virtually the same. Now I may be going out on a limb to say that maybe, just maybe, the Ancient Alterans had a bout of humanity 21st century Tauri style, but that is highly unlikely. But for the sake of argument, let's say they were, like us, and after much madness and self deprecation, they, the Alterans, moved away from the religious movement and dedicated themselves to science, where as the other religious types, didn't. But for some reason, they (both Altera and Ori) feels a lot more like the Elves from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and we are more like the lords of Mordor (the Orcs, Uruk-hai etc).

Seriously, some of us actually like SGU and don't want your changes to take place.

Perhaps, I remember years ago, when a great many fiend with such rage at such ideas. But a great many of them has been blocked by scifi's forum. Interestingly, they (scifi)only allowed people who loved what was happening with the show and the characters intently, even when it was going astray. And especially when they canceled SG1 for Pain Killer Jane and Flash Gordon (filth laden shows of the highest order, the pukey hawk men episode of Flash Gordon still gives me headaches) they banned even more veterans, thankfully gateworld isn't like them.

Ancients as the bad guys? Am I the only one who remembers the Ori?
They weren't our Ancients, and they never did jack, unless you consider the cop outs afforded to their legend due to scifi's meandering. They could have been terrifying as the borg was years ago, but instead they ultimately felt like the Atavus from season 5 of Earth Final Conflict (a complete and utter waste)

I'm thinking big flashing lights accompanied by a little sound that says, "I'm being sarcastic!" would be nice...

On to the actual thread topic, I'll note that there have been "actual" aliens in Universe, though the word "actual" is a little stretchy. Humanoid aliens are still... aliens, by the dictionary definition, so even if there are some Doctor Who-esque guys wearing plastic, I won't really care. But the fact that the two alienoids thus far are basically CGI (Though the Shriekers had a practical model or two, I think) may bode well.
A wonderful book series which i have read, and re-read is Saga Of The Seven Suns, by Kevin J Anderson, it feels that through out scifi history, the only creator to have gotten aliens right, is him and the greatest of them all J Michael Stracyznski with Babylon 5. Every one else, meh.

Yeah, I'm not talking about those things either.

I'm talking about aliens that none of us have seen.
I'd watch something else.
But then, I am pretty weird.

I'm a scifi lover, therefore, there isn't anything else. And Smallville is doing the same two steps--- it's ridiculous, TPTB on these shows are sleep walking and complains that no one enjoyed their 'two steps' when we expected a ballet performance. But unlike those other shows, these writers are better than that. Make aliens awesome so that I be excited to tune in next week, like they used to when SG1 was awesome.

edit: Why can't they bring in Anthropologist and Zoologist and let them imagine away.

Coremae
February 18th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Hmm. Seeing as SGU is rather serious, it probably could use some facehugger loving. :D
(or, to avoid copyright issues, some Giger-esque/inspired monstrosities :D )

Cthulhu would be nice, too.:thoranime09:

This is a children show after all, and Giger, well maybe Cthulhu, but Giger, no not Giger, his stuff would cause SGU to be banned.

MattSilver 3k
February 18th, 2010, 06:20 PM
:thoranime09:

This is a children show after all, and Giger, well maybe Cthulhu, but Giger, no not Giger, his stuff would cause SGU to be banned.

Woah woah woah and woah. Since when is SGU for kids? Waaaay off the reservation there...

EllieVee
February 18th, 2010, 06:21 PM
:thoranime09:

Since when has Stargate of any ilk been a children's program?

Coremae
February 18th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Woah woah woah and woah. Since when is SGU for kids? Waaaay off the reservation there...

No this is definitely a kid's show, most of them are (shows of this type). In a few years, this'll be on 5pm on scifi for all kids to see, the extra bits will either be cut out, or they'll simply not care due to the desensitized masses. I can write an adult themed show without being naughty and they'll immediately ban it.

Since when has Stargate of any ilk been a children's program?

I've read enough books about real actual adult theme stories, (which makes my post an actual oxymoron since, most kids are pretty much exposed by age ten, so any thing done to protect them is absolutely trivial and pointless) and I have yet to see shows actually deal with mature, adult themed characters and events. And I'm not talking about sexual anything, most kids touch and feel by the third maybe fourth grade. I'm talking about themes that are essentially [email protected]!!$ to the walls.

Deevil
February 18th, 2010, 09:32 PM
no man, they're the dudes behind the most awesomest of awesomest ideas, and concepts ever, and they're not living up to their hype. I'm feeling like the fans of George Lucas right now.

As I said, I respect that you think so highly of TPTB - but I do not share you passion for them. Nor are they anything like George Lucas. Once again, I feel a little over-hyping.

No they haven't, silly:cameron:, they've never made the Ancients evil, the Ancients aren't the Ori, since, the Ori are Ancients to their galaxy.

Huh?!? Same people mate - different name but same people.

I'm talking about our Ancients as bad guys.

The Ori. Been there done that. It isn't new.

But 'that spoiler thing' would be awesome, maybe. And by maybe, I mean maybe in the sense of my no longer being innocent of all things sexual other than 'turning Japanese';)

What to the who now?

No they're not us, silly:D,

Silly? Am I a child?

The ancients are us, just older. That's why they were interesting. They were the first evolution of humans.

moved away from the religious movement and dedicated themselves to science, where as the other religious types, didn't.

Science became as religion to them... The Ancients and Ori are not that different really.

But for some reason, they (both Altera and Ori) feels a lot more like the Elves from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and we are more like the lords of Mordor (the Orcs, Uruk-hai etc).

Whaaaaa?

Perhaps, I remember years ago, when a great many fiend with such rage at such ideas. But a great many of them has been blocked by scifi's forum. Interestingly, they (scifi)only allowed people who loved what was happening with the show and the characters intently, even when it was going astray. And especially when they canceled SG1 for Pain Killer Jane and Flash Gordon (filth laden shows of the highest order, the pukey hawk men episode of Flash Gordon still gives me headaches) they banned even more veterans, thankfully gateworld isn't like them.

Not to sound mean, but I don't understand the relevance of any of this.

Furthermore - SG1 was 10 years old. It ended because it was 10 years old.

AdamTM
February 19th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Huh?!? Same people mate - different name but same people.

If they are different then they are not the same, AREN'T THEY?

Its like saying the Vatican and the IRA are the same because they are both of christian faith and are guided by a religious agenda.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aQ8EpcQ4tpU/SA6VHVO2c8I/AAAAAAAAD2k/6Hg5iNuSjFw/s400/out-out-demons-of-stupidity.gif

Deevil
February 19th, 2010, 01:29 AM
If they are different then they are not the same, AREN'T THEY?

That's right - they're not same. People call Native American's American Indian's all the time... so they're different race of people because they are called, or call themselves different names?

As that's the only difference between the Ancients and the Ori, name and place. Race and everything else - the same.

AdamTM
February 19th, 2010, 02:06 AM
That's right - they're not same. People call Native American's American Indian's all the time... so they're different race of people because they are called, or call themselves different names?

As that's the only difference between the Ancients and the Ori, name and place. Race and everything else - the same.

Can you even talk about race when they are incorporeal energy beings? :rolleyes:

Also way to oversimplify it, I know for a fact that TPTB while creating the Ori wanted a counterweight to the Ancients (lets keep Lantians and Ancients separate ok?) and they went for the christian analogy with the fire and brimstone, since the Ancients were "angelic".

In christian lore demons are angels that fell from heaven, yet demons =/= angels, they are similar to angels in the sense that they once WERE them.
But they changed into demons, so they are not angels anymore.

so they are not the same, if you ask people if angels and demons are the same they will say

NO

Youre grasping at straws

Deevil
February 19th, 2010, 02:24 AM
Can you even talk about race when they are incorporeal energy beings? :rolleyes:

Yes, because they are beings the nature of their existence doesn't change anything.

Also way to oversimplify it, I know for a fact that TPTB while creating the Ori wanted a counterweight to the Ancients (lets keep Lantians and Ancients separate ok?) and they went for the christian analogy with the fire and brimstone, since the Ancients were "angelic".

Just because they fall on different sides of the good/evil scale, doesn't mean they aren't from the same gene pool - that they aren't the same. Ancients, Ori - the only difference is that they live on the other side of the world... ohh and they gain their power differently.

so they are not the same, if you ask people if angels and demons are the same they will say

NO

Youre grasping at straws

No, I'm stating that the Ancients and the Ori are the same. I get that you feel differently, and that's fine we all interpret things differently.

We don't need to see evil Ancients because we have seen them before (not just in the Ori). Agree or don't agree, my position isn't changin'.

g.o.d
February 19th, 2010, 03:36 AM

In christian lore demons are angels that fell from heaven, yet demons =/= angels, they are similar to angels in the sense that they once WERE them.
But they changed into demons, so they are not angels anymore.

NO

Youre grasping at straws

who's the Devil? He's a fallen angel. Who are the Ori? Fallen Alterans. I think it's pretty obvious it's the same and the both races had the same beginning (like angels/God and the Devil).

AdamTM
February 19th, 2010, 03:43 AM
who's the Devil? He's a fallen angel. Who are the Ori? Fallen Alterans. I think it's pretty obvious it's the same and the both races had the same beginning (like angels/God and the Devil).

Snakes evolved from Lizards, we don't call them lizards, and they are in fact not the same as lizards.

Birds evolved from dinosaurs, but are in fact not dinosaurs, they are birds.

We evolved from monkeys, but we are in fact not monkeys, but great apes.

Want any more analogies? Cause i can go on all day long.

The Ori are distinctly different from the Ancients, maybe even physically, since as stated they gain power differently. The Ancients don't need to gain power, in fact they are omnipotent by default, the Ori are not.
This suggest a different "physiology".

g.o.d
February 19th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Snakes evolved from Lizards, we don't call them lizards, and they are in fact not the same as lizards.

Birds evolved from dinosaurs, but are in fact not dinosaurs, they are birds.

We evolved from monkeys, but we are in fact not monkeys, but great apes.

Want any more analogies? Cause i can go on all day long.

The Ori are distinctly different from the Ancients, maybe even physically, since as stated they gain power differently. The Ancients don't need to gain power, in fact they are omnipotent by default, the Ori are not.

the only difference between them was, that the Ori used the lowers as a power source. Both races were the same. Same beings, same evolution. The Ori were evil, the ascended Ancients are no better than them. They did some pretty nasty things in the past.

AdamTM
February 19th, 2010, 04:20 AM
If they are the same race, why can one use people as batteries and the other doesn't?

Why is it that if you destroy the Oris power supply they "die", but the ancients live just fine without drawing power from anybody?

Why do Ori never appear as a singular being, but rather as a "force"/flood or collective, while the Ancients regularly appear as distinct beings with names? (the Priors don't count they were just made "better" humans)

Why do the Ori seem to not have any distinct personality(ies)? (that might be the writers fault)

Why don't we never see the Ori physically intervene, while certainly capable, AND more powerful than the Ancients?

Its been said that the Ori created the second generation humans to worship them and used them to ascend, while the Ancients ascended "naturally", isn't that kinda like different evolution, forced evolution.

I see a lot more distinction than just good/evil here.

TBA
February 19th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Two words: who cares.

Deevil
February 19th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Two words: who cares.

Vulcan's of course.

g.o.d
February 19th, 2010, 04:57 AM
If they are the same race, why can one use people as batteries and the other doesn't?
because they didn't choose to do that. They're the same race, they were the same race when they were humans and even when they were ascended.

Why is it that if you destroy the Oris power supply they "die", but the ancients live just fine without drawing power from anybody?.

they don't die when you kill their humans. They're just weaker.

Why do Ori never appear as a singular being, but rather as a "force"/flood or collective, while the Ancients regularly appear as distinct beings with names? (the Priors don't count they were just made "better" humans)

writers' fault that they didn't show us the Ori more.

Why do the Ori seem to not have any distinct personality(ies)? (that might be the writers fault)

you don't know that.

Why don't we never see the Ori physically intervene, while certainly capable, AND more powerful than the Ancients?

it's a plot-hole.

Its been said that the Ori created the second generation humans to worship them and used them to ascend, while the Ancients ascended "naturally", isn't that kinda like different evolution, forced evolution.

it wasn't. They ascended on their own. Ascension is the next step in evolution. They didn't use the second human evolution as a "help" in their onw ascension. They used them when they were already ascended.

I see a lot more distinction than just good/evil here.

there are some minor differencies, but they're still the one race.

ciannwn
February 19th, 2010, 06:30 AM

From the summary of The Ark Of Truth

http://www.gateworld.net/movies/02.shtml

Millions of years ago, beneath a mountain plateau on a planet in a distant galaxy, a group of Alterans debate how to prevent a war with their fellow Alterans -- the fanatical Ori.

The Alterans who left their home world eventually became known as the Ancients.

From the Omnipedia -

http://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Ori

The Ori were once the same civilization as the Alterans, but (for want of a better term) believed in religion, where their brothers relied more heavily on science. A gap was eventually bridged between the cultures. In consequence the other Alterans left for the Milky Way Galaxy(to later be known as the Ancients).

Two different philosophies and two different cultures but that doesn't make them different species. Real life humans have hundreds of different philosophies and cultures even though we are all the same species.

ciannwn
February 19th, 2010, 06:58 AM
You will notice i never said they are different species.

Just that they are not the same, maybe a different race.

TPTB made it quite clear that the Ori and the other Alterans who became known as the Ancients had different philosophies. Even if the Alterans had had different races, what an individual believed wouldn't have depended on what race he/she came from. There are different races of real life humans but individuals in any given race can have different beliefs and philosophies - it's not like you have to be Italian to be a Roman Catholic, Chinese to be a Buddhist or a Russian to be a Communist and an atheist.

thekillman
February 19th, 2010, 07:04 AM
if the ancients and ori as mortals can reproduce and produce fertile offspring, they by definition are one and the same species, and the same race.

since the ancients seemed to cheat and the ori did not, it's possible that later on they diverged.

shipper hannah
February 19th, 2010, 08:20 AM

I'm not actually bothered either way. I don't want to see humanoid aliens, though, certainly not ones that look human.

Coremae
February 19th, 2010, 09:44 AM
From the summary of The Ark Of Truth

http://www.gateworld.net/movies/02.shtml

Millions of years ago, beneath a mountain plateau on a planet in a distant galaxy, a group of Alterans debate how to prevent a war with their fellow Alterans -- the fanatical Ori.

The Alterans who left their home world eventually became known as the Ancients.

From the Omnipedia -

http://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Ori

The Ori were once the same civilization as the Alterans, but (for want of a better term) believed in religion, where their brothers relied more heavily on science. A gap was eventually bridged between the cultures. In consequence the other Alterans left for the Milky Way Galaxy(to later be known as the Ancients).

Two different philosophies and two different cultures but that doesn't make them different species. Real life humans have hundreds of different philosophies and cultures even though we are all the same species.

They were the same species, but that's as far as their similarities go. Like how, the Taelons and Jaridians (And let's imagine season 5 of EFC never happened) were once the same species but due to evolution (albeit forced) they evolved differently. Their similarities could be compared to a glock or 9mm handgun (aka 'NINA') to a desert eagle or .357; sure they're both guns, have bullets, is used for protection or aggression, but that's as far as they'd go similarity wise, since their difference is in caliber and overall performance.

So the Ori's way of doing things would be evolving some one else and letting them take care of business, where as, the Ancients way of doing things may be an individual Ancient becoming what Merklin (Merlin) was and stirring up the pot that way. So it wouldn't be essentially the exact same enemy since their methodology would be different, take Apophis and Anubis for example; they're both goa'uld, but they couldn't be considered as a similar type of enemy, because Anubis wanted to become a literal god, where as Apophis wanted power and to be worshiped and adored, and to have more territory. Even further, due to circumstances, they were physiologically different, how much more so for the Ori who was always the genius loci in the form of ignis fatuus and Ancients who resembled puffs of white light.

EllieVee
February 19th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I want to see neither the Ancients nor the Ori since they are not truly alien.

jelgate
February 19th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I want to see neither the Ancients nor the Ori since they are not truly alien.
I would disagree since the term alien means anyone who isn't from Earth

Commander Zelix
February 19th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I would disagree since the term alien means anyone who isn't from Earth
Not only that but they are *really* alien if you know what I mean. Basically they are aliens living in another plane of existence. They have transcended their physical body. When they are not transcended tho they do feel like future human (even if they are really from an advanced past). Their culture seems similar to ours ( a bit less rugged and more peaceful).

PG15
February 19th, 2010, 10:05 PM

Different ideologies, just like how we have them too.

Why is it that if you destroy the Oris power supply they "die", but the ancients live just fine without drawing power from anybody?

I don't think you're remembering properly.

The Ori died when we sent the Sangraal to their galaxies, basically cancelling them out. Adria was weakened when her followers got brainwashed by the Ark of Truth, and to this day she's fighting an endless fight with Morgan Le Fey.

A single Ori possessed the Doci in "Origin".

See above, sorta. It's true we have not met any single Ori up close and personal, but like you said, that's probably more of a missed opportunity on the part of TPTB than a rule.

Well, they can turn people into Priors. After that, they don't really need to do much else.

Again, you're remembering wrong. The Ori created their batch of humans after they ascended.

Eternal Density
February 21st, 2010, 01:08 PM
*pops back into thread*
Now having played Mass Effect, I can say that my favourite aliens are the Quarians.

Asgard4eva
February 22nd, 2010, 04:22 AM
I prefer the aliens to be non human looking. I mean that was the whole original scifi concept, weird, unimaginable, alien, something that was out theer but unfathomable
I would prefer if they tried to keep the aliens more abstract like that gaseous cloud of sand, other examples of weird aliens might be “Crystalline Entity” from Star Trek TNG, the Vorlons in Babylon-5, the Star-Jellies in TNG, the Thing (a shapeshifting blob of weirdness) or the Bacteria/Shapeless ooze in the movie Evolution. How about revisit an old ep that referred to Furlings or Grace and make these unknown people into Abstract beings

Eternal Density
February 22nd, 2010, 03:36 PM
Actually, I don't want actual aliens on the show. It's not worth the risk. They should stick with using special effects.

EllieVee
February 22nd, 2010, 03:48 PM
Actually, I don't want actual aliens on the show. It's not worth the risk. They should stick with using special effects.

You'll never know what you'll catch.

GateMan2000
February 23rd, 2010, 10:48 AM
There are aliens...just watch the first episode in April.

The Mighty 6 platoon
February 23rd, 2010, 12:26 PM

I agree, I mean the catering would be a nightmare.

Eternal Density
February 23rd, 2010, 01:42 PM
I agree, I mean the catering would be a nightmare.Remember, don't eat the nuts in the red bowls. They're for Turians and Quarians only

The Mighty 6 platoon
February 23rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
Remember, don't eat the nuts in the red bowls. They're for Turians and Quarians only

Or you’ll go into anaphylactic shock, I know :D. And what about the Krogans, what do you feed them! :P

Eternal Density
February 23rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Or you’ll go into anaphylactic shock, I know :D. And what about the Krogans, what do you feed them! :PNot liquefied Turians, that's for sure. [edit] Admittedly, that was six or seven centuries ago.

EllieVee
February 23rd, 2010, 03:55 PM

But are they real aliens?

The Mighty 6 platoon
February 23rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
Not liquefied Turians, that's for sure. [edit] Admittedly, that was six or seven centuries ago.

I think many krogan would be keen to start that tradition up again :D

But are they real aliens?
And what sort of union rights do they have? Important issues here, we could be facing the abuse of aliens by reckless producers of scifi programming. Desperate aliens just seeking a claw or feeler of tentacle up in the entertainment industry viciously exploited.

EllieVee
February 23rd, 2010, 04:05 PM
I think many krogan would be keen to start that tradition up again :D

And what sort of union rights do they have? Important issues here, we could be facing the abuse of aliens by reckless producers of scifi programming. Desperate aliens just seeking a claw or feeler of tentacle up in the entertainment industry viciously exploited.

Are they scab labour?

The Mighty 6 platoon
February 23rd, 2010, 04:12 PM
Are they scab labour?

Probably. Dirty alien scum, coming over here stealing our jobs, next thing you know it’s aliens teaching your kids, aliens in the police, an alien as your Doctor. Just look.

http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/0/e/3/zoidberg.jpg

WHEN WILL IT END?

Eternal Density
February 24th, 2010, 03:07 PM
So long as the aliens give us universal healthcare and fancy uniforms, it'll be fine. We will be at peace, always.

jelgate
February 24th, 2010, 03:10 PM
So long as the aliens give us universal healthcare and fancy uniforms, it'll be fine. We will be at peace, always.

Have you eaten any guinea pigs recently?:P

Eternal Density
February 24th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Have you eaten any guinea pigs recently?:POnly baby ones. They don't struggle so much.

thejudeboy
February 24th, 2010, 03:32 PM
nothing would be better then aliens that arent humans on sgu...u gotta admit the perimative human planets r getting wayyyyy to overdone

some of the best sg1 episodes were the ones with new races in it..like the season 2 episode with the reetou, or the season 3 episode with the foothold situation

thejudeboy
February 24th, 2010, 03:35 PM
there wud be nothing better then having actual aliens in sgu....admit it the perimative human planets deal has been wayyy too overdone

plus some of the best sg1 episodes were the ones with actual aliens like the season 2 episode with the reetou or the season 3 episode with the foothold situation

Pharaoh Atem
February 24th, 2010, 03:55 PM

just scream it :rolleyes:

poundpuppy29
February 24th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I do I want to see them maybe it is the Trekie in me but I loved Babylon 5 and Farscape also they did it well

EllieVee
February 24th, 2010, 06:36 PM
nothing would be better then aliens that arent humans on sgu...u gotta admit the perimative human planets r getting wayyyyy to overdone

some of the best sg1 episodes were the ones with new races in it..like the season 2 episode with the reetou, or the season 3 episode with the foothold situation

Both wasted opportunities for further development, IMO.

puddlejumperOZ
February 24th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Foothold and the Reetou were good examples of how Stargate could have developed further and added a new dimension. having said that, of all the so called "aliens" apart from the Wraith, Sokar was cool:D

EllieVee
February 24th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Foothold and the Reetou were good examples of how Stargate could have developed further and added a new dimension. having said that, of all the so called "aliens" apart from the Wraith, Sokar was cool:D

Aside from being a cliche.

jmoz
February 25th, 2010, 12:18 AM
How about astral projection like beings? They drop out of FTL and some people look on the observation deck. They see the stars and constellations and one of them is the shape of a lion or something. And all of a sudden it becomes a space lion or something and starts to come towards the Destiny.

g.o.d
February 25th, 2010, 03:13 AM
How about astral projection like beings? They drop out of FTL and some people look on the observation deck. They see the stars and constellations and one of them is the shape of a lion or something. And all of a sudden it becomes a space lion or something and starts to come towards the Destiny.

ascended beings

The Mighty 6 platoon
February 25th, 2010, 05:38 AM

Do you really want Zoidburg being your doctor?

CaptJanson
February 25th, 2010, 05:59 AM

I think actual Aliens (from the Alien movies) would be fun! They have this ship with dark corridors where they could hunt them/be hunted by them. The episode with the small flying bugs reminded me of that. I wanted nasty parasites lurking in the corridors, waiting to grab them.

jelgate
February 25th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Do you really want Zoidburg being your doctor?

Sure. Sandals aren't that creepy.:P

The Mighty 6 platoon
February 25th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Sure. Sandals aren't that creepy.:P

But once they get the foot in the door they won't stop, aliens everywhere, in our society, in our culture, in our religion....

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/f/f7/Zoidberg_jesus.jpg
THE SCIENTOLOGISTS WERE RIGHT! :P

puddlejumperOZ
February 25th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Now there's an idea. Bring back the Alien, and have a Stargate/Alien crossover...I wonder how Destiny would deal with those lurking in the ducting:D

jmoz
February 25th, 2010, 07:54 PM
ascended beings

not really, heck the ascended beings had the appearance of angels sorta. No this is different, not sit on your butt and do nothing beings.

EllieVee
February 25th, 2010, 08:59 PM
not really, heck the ascended beings had the appearance of angels sorta. No this is different, not sit on your butt and do nothing beings.

Actually, they had the look of glowy box jellyfish (http://www.amigosdojoe.com/images/Box-Jellyfish.jpg).

jmoz
February 25th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Actually, they had the look of glowy box jellyfish (http://www.amigosdojoe.com/images/Box-Jellyfish.jpg).

And wings I think or maybe not, I don't have a pic to see. Can someone find the pic of floating glowing ascended being (that has a nice ring to it)? Nice pic of the jellyfish by the way. Couldn't green you anymore for it. Hey there's an idea- sea creature aliens, would they be sorta flat beings due to all the pressure and glowing due to the darkness?

EllieVee
February 26th, 2010, 02:47 AM
And wings I think or maybe not, I don't have a pic to see. Can someone find the pic of floating glowing ascended being (that has a nice ring to it)? Nice pic of the jellyfish by the way. Couldn't green you anymore for it. Hey there's an idea- sea creature aliens, would they be sorta flat beings due to all the pressure and glowing due to the darkness?

Do they bring their sea with them?

MattSilver 3k
February 26th, 2010, 03:03 AM

Their ship's a giant fishbowl. Calling it now.

g.o.d
February 26th, 2010, 05:01 AM

spoiler for size:
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season3/320-MaternalInstinct/screencaps/sg1_320_699.JPG

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season3/320-MaternalInstinct/screencaps/sg1_320_942.JPG

they look like a flying drone weapon

Coremae
February 26th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I do I want to see them maybe it is the Trekie in me but I loved Babylon 5 and Farscape also they did it well

It's because no one cared if their concept would be loved or hated by fans, they simply made aliens which they thought was cool for them. At least that's what JmS did, I'm sure the same thing occured with Farscape which had by far, the coolest muppets in space ever.

Both wasted opportunities for further development, IMO.
For some odd reason, whenever any one writes anything, they always try to play it safe; to retain a sense of safety, instead of just doing what George Lucas did: Write out of this galaxy stuff and then lord over any fan fiction, claim it and call it canon. But this lot always try to control every aspect of everything, who do they think they are, J Michael Strazynski or Kevin J Anderson, or maybe they think they're the greatest of them all Frank Herbert?

This is AWESOME but TPTB aren't nearly as awesome, at least, not anymore. Unfortunately, this'll probably be used in Doctor Who, or something else who isn't afraid of awesome.

ascended beings

Not necessarily since, not every glowing light in the sky is a star, so I doubt every energy based existential being must be ascended, unless of course they follow the awesomeness of an Ancient banished far far away and has the mischievousness of Q, the audacity of Trelane, the curiosity of Mayuri Kurotsuchi, the malevolence of Madara Uchiha, the persistence of Rassilon, and the brilliance of Ba'al. what if they're a parallel after thought of a stringent tachyon based entity awash in a temporal corridor from the last brane which tapped the back of ours?

Maybe it was by choice, or perhaps, each tentacle represents their psionic reach into our space time continuum, since apparently ascended beings can be killed due to the fact that the Sangraal dumps canceling waves into subspace, and subspace makes one immune of time (See SG1: Continuum)

spoiler for size:
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season3/320-MaternalInstinct/screencaps/sg1_320_699.JPG

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/sg1_season3/320-MaternalInstinct/screencaps/sg1_320_942.JPG

They look almost Vorlon like in appearence. Though the Vorlons wasn't ascended on to another plane, they were simple energy based beings, mortal enough to be killed by almost conventional means.

jmoz
February 26th, 2010, 08:48 PM

Sorry? I don't understand.

Maybe the FTL malfunctions and they drop out of FTL and start getting sucked into a whirlpool of some kind of liquid in space. Doesn't have to be a conventional water planet.

spoiler for size:

Thanks for finding that, greened.

I guess they sorta do, but their appearance is just mostly for the "ooooooh, aaaaaah" effects I think.

Yeah, Farscape was very out there with their aliens, almost rampant. I liked it for the most part. A short lived series to me which had the potential for more I think due to the wild and wacky imagination. SGU's a bit more toned down and I can't think of the word to describe it but they're sorta more stifling and uh TPTB likes things clean cut I guess. Sorry can't think of the word, me and my limited vocabulary.

MechaThor
February 27th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Personally I have always seen the Ascended Ancients to look like Glowing Jellyfish/Squid. Infact I always thought it might have been cool to see a huge group of them floating around space like a ball of fish, with maybe an Ori vs, Ancient battle looking like Sharks attacking a bait ball. Shame it never happened.

As for SGU, I hope we don't see any acceded Ancients, atleast not as a major story arc, and one off might be cool with an original builder of the Destiny providing some backstory about the ships launch. However both SG-1 series 9-10 and the end of Atlantis pretty much covered the Ancients accession, so not much else is really needed, lets keep it as one of them great mysteries.

Although I have always wondered what other alien species might look like ascended, maybe an all new Alien race which has also reached that stage?

g.o.d
February 27th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Personally I have always seen the Ascended Ancients to look like Glowing Jellyfish/Squid. Infact I always thought it might have been cool to see a huge group of them floating around space like a ball of fish, with maybe an Ori vs, Ancient battle looking like Sharks attacking a bait ball. Shame it never happened.

As for SGU, I hope we don't see any acceded Ancients, atleast not as a major story arc, and one off might be cool with an original builder of the Destiny providing some backstory about the ships launch. However both SG-1 series 9-10 and the end of Atlantis pretty much covered the Ancients accession, so not much else is really needed, lets keep it as one of them great mysteries.

Although I have always wondered what other alien species might look like ascended, maybe an all new Alien race which has also reached that stage?

I would rather see some older races than the Alterans